kamelito
Zone Friend

C/C++ ans SDL it seems

Old 31 May 2017, 22:15   #22
Z3k

don't want to steal the topic but i found this quite hilrious

Old 31 May 2017, 23:25   #23
nobody

It's a tremendous game, has tons of stuff crammed there. I am surprised you found that book because all books have a description
Old 01 June 2017, 00:11   #24
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai_Crow View Post
Depending on whether the talking or music is streamed from the CD you might need a CD ROM version.
Not really. Beneath a Steel Sky for the CD32 stored its speech as normal sample files, not as CD tracks.
Old 01 June 2017, 00:16   #25
nobody

I don't know about Beneath a steel sky, but here there is a truck full of speech.
Old 11 June 2017, 08:51   #26
mcbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aezeroony View Post
Hi all,

Been playing the wonderful Thimbleweed Park after it got released yesterday and was wondering how easy it would be to port this to the Amiga 1200 minus the audio speech of course so it could run off floppy or HD install? The game isn't that big memory wise or file size so that's what got me thinking? Thoughts anybody?

Aaron.
thimbleweed old game call Maniac Mansion (1987) it come out for apple 11 and amiga by successor to Gilbert and Winnick's
Old 11 June 2017, 08:55   #27
mcbone

thimbleweed old game call Maniac Mansion (1987) it come out for apple 11 and amiga by successor to Gilbert and Winnick's
Old 15 March 2020, 22:49   #28
manossg

Bumping this dead thread, after a review I did of this game.
[ Show youtube player ]

And I am genuinely wondering whether an Amiga port of this game could be feasible
a) technically (for A500? A1200? Vampire? )
b) financially.

I don't feel that these questions have been answered in this thread, especially (b). I also feel that Amiga development and hardware has progressed quite a bit since 2017.

So...fire away!
Old 16 March 2020, 11:22   #29
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Bumping this dead thread, after a review I did of this game.
[ Show youtube player ]

And I am genuinely wondering whether an Amiga port of this game could be feasible
a) technically (for A500? A1200? Vampire? )
b) financially.

I don't feel that these questions have been answered in this thread, especially (b). I also feel that Amiga development and hardware has progressed quite a bit since 2017.

So...fire away!
Hmm, why do you feel like that?
I think it has been answered quite thoroughly..

And on b), it would take much more time than anyone would be willing to spend on something that can be readily played on so many other platforms..

In the end, if you feel you wanna spend that time, go for it..
Old 16 March 2020, 11:40   #30
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Hmm, why do you feel like that?
I think it has been answered quite thoroughly..

And on b), it would take much more time than anyone would be willing to spend on something that can be readily played on so many other platforms..

In the end, if you feel you wanna spend that time, go for it..
Thank you for your answer, friend.

I feel that 3 years (2017-2020) is a long time and things have changed since then. I think that retrogaming is way bigger now than it was back then and software development reflects that as well, not only on the Amiga, but on other platforms as well.

I read this post from the thimbleweed forums as well, but it is also from 2017.
https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/t/amiga-500-2000-port/1405

Of course, I understand what you and others are saying about b. But is still bugs me-if people with the know how can so easily rip and convert thimbleweed graphics for Amiga and C64 and have such convincing results and with the actual script and content already written.
Anyway, maybe I am just dreaming, but seeing Caren on the C64 and Orion Prime, Sergoth and Pinball Dreams on the CPC....can you stop yourself wondering what is possible?

Heh, I would be hopeless coding my own adventure game. Heck, I remember having one go on my Amstrad CPC with Basic back in the 80ies and another go with AGS....hopeless, completely hopeless!
Old 16 March 2020, 12:42   #31
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manossg View Post
Thank you for your answer, friend.

I feel that 3 years (2017-2020) is a long time and things have changed since then. I think that retrogaming is way bigger now than it was back then and software development reflects that as well, not only on the Amiga, but on other platforms as well.

I read this post from the thimbleweed forums as well, but it is also from 2017.
https://forums.thimbleweedpark.com/t...2000-port/1405

Of course, I understand what you and others are saying about b. But is still bugs me-if people with the know how can so easily rip and convert thimbleweed graphics for Amiga and C64 and have such convincing results and with the actual script and content already written.
Anyway, maybe I am just dreaming, but seeing Caren on the C64 and Orion Prime, Sergoth and Pinball Dreams on the CPC....can you stop yourself wondering what is possible?

Heh, I would be hopeless coding my own adventure game. Heck, I remember having one go on my Amstrad CPC with Basic back in the 80ies and another go with AGS....hopeless, completely hopeless!

There is no money to be earned with the Amiga (and any other retro platform I know of) by creating homebrew games, you can only hope that something you care for gets a passion project for somebody else if you are not yourself into spending a few years of blood, sweat and tears for creating it..

So, either you wanna do the work yourself, or it probably won't get done..

This doesn't need to keep anybody from discussing how you would be doing it IF you were doing it, though..
Old 16 March 2020, 12:53   #32
manossg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
There is no money to be earned with the Amiga (and any other retro platform I know of) by creating homebrew games, you can only hope that something you care for gets a passion project for somebody else if you are not yourself into spending a few years of blood, sweat and tears for creating it..

So, either you wanna do the work yourself, or it probably won't get done..

This doesn't need to keep anybody from discussing how you would be doing it IF you were doing it, though..
So I understand that financially it would not be feasible, which is a bit of a bummer, but I am more than happy that such a gem exists, even if not for my favorite platform.

Any discussions/thoughts about it, even in a theoretical basis, are welcome, though.

PS. Just to make it clear, I am not asking as a developer or as someone expecting to make money, just as an adventure game/Amiga fan.
Old 16 March 2020, 13:45   #33
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I believe the only way something like this happens (in a short space of time) today is if the Amiga version gets crowd sourced up front, possibly as a stretch goal. OR there is an enthusiast on the development team who spends time building AmigaOS version.

There were AmigaOS (albeit 4.x) ports of several games crowd sourced during a kickstarter (e.g. Tower57)

There is an opensource reverse engineering project for Thimbleweed park active today if anyone is interested

https://github.com/scemino/engge
Old 16 March 2020, 14:13   #34
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Seems like most of the game is not native code but Squirrel scripts and that open source project is not going to deviate from that, so that kind of complicates porting the game to older hardware; you'd have to either port the squirrel virtual machine (which according to the engge blog is actually modified for the game) and optimise the heck out of it or rewrite all the scripts to be native code.

Yeah I would join the group of voices that say "Ain't nobody got time for this".