English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 December 2018, 00:34   #21
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
Looks like a decent game, I'd buy it but I don't have any accelerator cards for my Amigas to get the best out of the game.
Haven't tried the full version on real machine yet, but in A1200/4MB Fast WinUAE configuration it runs perfectly in full details.
Old 27 December 2018, 01:06   #22
Dunny

Yeah, this isn't gonna run on a stock machine even though it looks like it should be fine on a 512Kb A1000 tbh. Why are the minimum specs so high?
Old 27 December 2018, 01:23   #23
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Is this from the same team that made "Dream of Rowan" ?
Old 27 December 2018, 01:50   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
Haven't tried the full version on real machine yet, but in A1200/4MB Fast WinUAE configuration it runs perfectly in full details.
...but mcgeezer only has a standard A1200 with 2MB Chip RAM.

So in order to play this game on his real A1200 he then needs to invest in an accelerator card

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Yeah, this isn't gonna run on a stock machine even though it looks like it should be fine on a 512Kb A1000 tbh. Why are the minimum specs so high?
Created in AMOS.

...you should know by now that titles created in these game engines require ludicrous horsepower; therefore put them out of reach for real / stock A500 and A1200 users.

I mean, what normal ECS Amiga has 1MB or more of Fast RAM? Only expanded ones; with expensive / hard to source accelerator cards.

I'm a WinUAE user only for the past decade plus now; so not that big a deal for me but just saying...

Anyway, I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I'm all for people creating new games for the Amiga

There are numerous talented people with great ideas / graphics / sound capabilities i.e. jojo73, viddi and Amiten... I just wish they wouldn't use these shite game engines and find good coders to make their games reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
Is this from the same team that made "Dream of Rowan" ?
Yes.

Last edited by DamienD; 27 December 2018 at 03:30.
Old 27 December 2018, 07:35   #25
sokolovic

Seems a good game.

DamienD, what's the problem with Amos ? This is a real coding language, you can't compare it to backbone or RedPill. This isn't a "shit" game engine but a BASIC based language, like Blitz Basic is. It is even on the main page of the amigacoding.com web site, among ASM 68K and Blitz Basic.
https://www.amigacoding.com)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMOS_(...ming_language))
http://www.powerprograms.nl/amiga/am...bout-amos.html

Plus the game is very polished, colorful, with parallaxes scrollings, which aren't very common in the Amiga scene nowaday. This isn't looking like a shareware game, or a C64 based one like, for example, Tiger Claw (this isn't a critic by any means of this game btw). Many commercial games back in the day were'nt that advanced. We can see that the Amiten team is doing good progress in mastering AMOS and that's perfect. Hope we'll have one day their Amiga version of Castlevania.

By the way, there is some commercial games made with AMOS, Base Jumper, Jetstrike, Genesia for example (even partly Flight of the Amazon Queen). They we're charged like any other commercial game and we're running on basic Amiga.

Game have high recquirements also because HD is mandatory to run it. And still, recquirement are not so high either.

Last edited by sokolovic; 27 December 2018 at 11:20.
Old 27 December 2018, 10:50   #26
Dunny

I suppose the problem here is that anyone running a stock Amiga - of any variety - is not going to be able to run it, regardless of whether or not they have a hard drive in there.

This seems to be aimed at WinUAE/FS-UAE users, rather than Amiga owners.
Old 27 December 2018, 11:16   #27
spud

Just played the demo on WinUAE and it is pretty good, well done! If I must be critical (everyone's a critic ha!) then the death sound really cheapens the experience and other things lack a bit of polish (the way the level is initially drawn for example). The game-play fundamentals are all in place though and work well. You have some great little touches like holding the fire button to power up the flaming projectile.
Old 27 December 2018, 12:08   #28
E-Penguin
Banana

€9 is what, two pints of beer these days? Seems reasonable.

I'm curious as to how you managed dual play field of 16 colours each in ECS.
Old 27 December 2018, 12:23   #29
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
I suppose the problem here is that anyone running a stock Amiga - of any variety - is not going to be able to run it, regardless of whether or not they have a hard drive in there.

As written in 1st post, you are right. 14Mhz is not "stock"
I was just surprised to see a more "jungle" look level for the "pyramid" one (where is the sand ?).

Anyway, game looks cool regarding the video .
Thank you for this game !!!

Quote:
MINIMUN REQUIREMENTS FOR THIS VERSION
AMIGA ECS or AGA CHIPSET
ANY 68X CPU CLOCKED AT 14mhz
1 MB CHIP RAM
1 MB FAST RAM (REAL FAST RAM NOT PCMCIA SRAM)
HARD DISK 2.50Mb FREE SPACE
WORKBENCH 2.X/3.X
Old 27 December 2018, 12:40   #30
solaris104

Any tips for defeating winter boss?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	003.png
Views:	197
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	61335  
Old 27 December 2018, 13:02   #31
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
€9 is what, two pints of beer these days? Seems reasonable.

I'm curious as to how you managed dual play field of 16 colours each in ECS.
Exactly. That's a bit of an achievement, considering this is the AGA dual playfield features and that the games is an ECS one (and this is why I was speaking of Castlevania, remembering a technical demo of Amiten with the Dracula X character and because Castlevania just got an horizontal scrolling, like Coco Banana (beautiful name by the way ) . Having 2x16 colors layers seems enough to have a good port of a variant of this game).

Still, I don't understand what is AMOS in DamienD point of view, and why coding in AMOS professionnal should'nt be considering as coding.
Old 27 December 2018, 13:09   #32
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Still, I don't understand what is AMOS in DamienD point of view, and why coding in AMOS professionnal should'nt be considering as coding.
I think I've said enough in this thread already so should really leave it at that... yes some decent games have been made in AMOS.

I guess as mentioned, not only by me, the one issue is that the requirements for this game seem crazy and puts it out of reach for stock A500 / A1200 users when really this shouldn't be the case.

Anyway, I do sincerely wish the Amiten Team all the best with sales.

Last edited by DamienD; 27 December 2018 at 13:14.
Old 27 December 2018, 13:20   #33
sokolovic

Well AMOS is a programming language. This is not a game maker like backbone or RedPill. Even if ASM is much more machine friendly (and much harder to learn from scratch), still AMOS needs to be mastered by a coder to get some results.

Maybe this game could be a little more optimized but let's let Amiten working on it. I think there is a real progress in this game in comparison of Rowan so this is all but positive in my opinion.

On the other side, I don't understand why one should stay with the limitations of stock A500 considering that I'm pretty sure the vast majority of amiga users nowadays have at least a CF card HD and some extra ram. I understand the challenge of making a game for 512kb chip ram machines and one single floppy disk, still I'd be happy to see some games using a little Amiga expansion capabilities, being from the start at least HD friendly.
Old 27 December 2018, 14:05   #34
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

My opinion differs a bit here from Damiens:

I think coding stuff in AMOS is okay, and 9€ isn't too much to ask for.

If anything I feel Powerglove is much too cheap at its 3€ for all that work done by its creator.

If people think that's too steep for this game to ask for, they won't buy it. Just let the punters decide...

Off course I'd love the Amiga to get more "vanilla machine" games, but i am happy for every production we get, especially if it's done with nice graphics assets like this one.

my 5 cts, YMMV...
Old 27 December 2018, 15:56   #35
Pyromania

@Amiten

Thanx for making a new game for Amiga, I'll be buying it soon.
Old 27 December 2018, 16:39   #36
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As written in 1st post, you are right. 14Mhz is not "stock"
And 1MB Real Fast RAM comes as stock on how many Amigas, precisely?
Old 27 December 2018, 17:18   #37
mcgeezer

Quote:
And 1MB Real Fast RAM comes as stock on how many Amigas, precisely?
And if it didn't I would happily purchase the game because it would run on my stock A1200.

I'm not sure why it needs fast ram (perhaps Johnny can clarify?).

Geezer
Old 27 December 2018, 17:35   #38
Hewitson

This is actually a very nice looking game. I do think it would look much better without the unnecessary "COCO BANANA AMITEN SOFTWARE 2018" text on the screen though.

Quote:
Because it requires 1 MB fast memory? You're joking right?
Old 27 December 2018, 17:38   #39
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I won't get into the price discussion... while I kinda agree with McGeezer and DamienD, I also agree certain games are being sold *too* cheaply (like the aforementioned Powerglove), but in the end of the day everyone can price their products as they seem fit. Maybe the creator of PowerGlove just want the game to be accesible to everyone

But what I see as a problem is a game being sold as a commercial game, asking for a hefty hardware while offering nothing that a game running at stock hardware can't offer. I think this kinda hurt the scene, as people will see as OK to charge money for stuff that's exactly not well optmized for the hardware.

Now I may be completely wrong about this, maybe my point of view is somehow mistaken.

I saw at least 2 gameplay problems on the video, I dunno if there's still time to fix things

First the way the game scrolls is really troublesome. As you get near the "end" of the level, your character is too close to the edge so you cant see what's coming.

And at 6:45 , an enemy spawns RIGHT ON TOP of the player. I see there's some smoke as a "warning", but its not enough and, quite frankly, an enemy should *never* spawn on top of the player. If there's no way to avoid this, the player should be invencible to this enemy for a few seconds so the player has proper time to react. (To mention an amiga game - Wizkid does that and it works pretty well. Because the way the game is designed, enemies *do* spawn on top of player after a wave is cleared depending on the pattern of the next wave and the player position, but you are always invencible for a while so you can react and adjust accordingly).

Last edited by Shatterhand; 27 December 2018 at 17:58.
Old 27 December 2018, 17:47   #40
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I do think it would look much better without the unnecessary "COCO BANANA AMITEN SOFTWARE 2018" text on the screen though.
Totally agree; you can see that this game is made by "Amiten Team in 2018" from the initial title screen.

...not sure why it also needs to be displayed in-game, it does detract from the experience and looks cheap.

It seems to be a common "feature" with Amiten games though from what I've noticed thus far i.e. plaster you name everywhere; and there's really no need for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
But what I see as a problem is a game being sold as a commercial game, asking for a hefty hardware while offering nothing that a game running at stock hardware can't offer. I think this kinda hurt the scene, as people will see as OK to charge money for stuff that's exactly not well optmized for the hardware.
Well put Shatterhand; and part of the point I was trying to make.

Last edited by DamienD; 27 December 2018 at 17:56.