English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 December 2013, 10:15   #41
Phantom
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Is not remotely going to happen, so please, engage brain before making such a ludicrous request!!!
Didn't notice that they sell the soundtrack separately, my bad. But perhaps a more calming and non-childish answer would be much appreciated next time.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:52   #42
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Didn't notice that they sell the soundtrack separately, my bad. But perhaps a more calming and non-childish answer would be much appreciated next time.
That was calm, I have no opinion on 'non-childish' however
Old 31 December 2013, 12:07   #43
Phantom
Adventurer

Well, as they sell the soundtrack separately, it's quite obvious that it's very difficult to create a CD32 version including those music tracks. Unless we pay loyalties (doubt it), and the most difficult scenario, is for System 3 to produce a CD32 version including the music scores from the soundtrack, but of course we have to pay for this as a commercial game at the end. Well, I bet all my Amiga equipment if they just thought of that.
Old 31 December 2013, 15:19   #44
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Well, as they sell the soundtrack separately, it's quite obvious that it's very difficult to create a CD32 version including those music tracks. Unless we pay loyalties (doubt it), and the most difficult scenario, is for System 3 to produce a CD32 version including the music scores from the soundtrack, but of course we have to pay for this as a commercial game at the end. Well, I bet all my Amiga equipment if they just thought of that.
The next best thing - and sorry for contributing to this series of pipedreams - would be to just release the ISO and provide instructions on how to add music to the game by burning the tracks from your purchased copy of the soundtrack to disc alongside the data track. (If you're capable of writing an ADF back to disk, it shouldn't be too taxing to burn a game to CD in comparison. )

But of course, the ball - as always - is in System 3's court.
Old 31 December 2013, 16:38   #45
Whitesnake
Martin Shaw

We could just let Galahad get the standard disk version running on the CD32 first and see how that goes, I think he has enough difficulties trying to get Putty Squad to run on the CD32 as it is.

With regards to hypotheticals in the future, WHDLoad may support CDDA audio in a future release and I believe the .slave for Beneath A Steel Sky already does so there is a possibility in the future for it to happen and add your own tracks.

But the music is already great in Putty Squad just like many other CD32 releases which used original tracker music and no CDDA.

Maybe someone should work on printable jewel case artwork in the CD32 style as a compliment.

Last edited by Whitesnake; 31 December 2013 at 16:48.
Old 01 January 2014, 03:48   #46
Cammy

I would love to play Putty Squad on the CD32 too, it would be fantastic if you can get it working on the CD32, Galahad. Thank you so much for everything, including your help in getting Putty Squad out to the Amiga community, I really appreciate the chance to finally be able to play the full version of this awesome game! I've had so much fun playing it on my A1200 ever since the full version was released, playing it on the CD32 in the games room would be a dream come true.
Old 01 January 2014, 04:48   #47
Vot

Yep I also would love a cd32 version. I just picked one up not long ago. Never owned one the day, so having some fun playing some titles i haven't played before.

A new title was a great xmas surprise. Would be great if i could have had it on the cd32 too.

Thanks to system3, Galahad/FLT, Codetapper and everyone else who made it happen.
Old 01 January 2014, 10:59   #48
Baboon
Moon Monkey

I'd also like to see this on cd32 please. My cd32 has been packed away for a little while due to space issues but I'd happily fire it up again for putty squad!

If system 3 released a paid for version then I'd also glady pick that up!
Old 01 January 2014, 13:03   #49
Sandro
Banned

you can create an iso file using whdloadcd32 and putty whdload files
it needs 2mb fast,but it works,
to works on a plain cd32 2mb only seems codetapper must make a patch
Old 09 January 2014, 22:50   #50
SolderPCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandro View Post
you can create an iso file using whdloadcd32 and putty whdload files
it needs 2mb fast,but it works,
to works on a plain cd32 2mb only seems codetapper must make a patch
Possibly other AGA games might work on 2mb if the slaves were modified to do so and there was no reliance on using kick roms. Psygore did it with Slam Tilt

I miss the OSEmu as it never took the space of loading a kick rom which seems less efficient.
Old 10 January 2014, 18:07   #51
hattig

It would be nice to see a new CD32 game indeed, and this would be an apt game to release. +1
Old 28 July 2014, 14:58   #52
SteveUK

+1 for cd32 release
Old 28 July 2014, 15:48   #53
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Unfortunately, I just don't think this is possible on CD32 because of the way the game is coded.

There is one way I can free up memory, which means it 'might' be possible.

The backgrounds are AGA sprite backdrops. For whatever reason, John Twiddy included ALL of the backdrops into ONE file that is preloaded at the start. Had John done it so that each backdrop was a separate file to be loaded when needed, over 400K could be saved from memory.

Clearly, A1200 was the focus machine for System 3, and CD32 was not.

I won't say it won't happen, but it will take a lot of work to get it working in 2meg of chip ram. Actually thats a lie, the machine might have 2meg of chip ram, but AmigaDOS has to be active somewhere in memory for loading files using the system, and Putty Squad is all hard coded.

Its not impossible, but its a lot of work, so when I have time, I might well revisit it and see what I can do.
Old 29 July 2014, 10:55   #54
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think you should bare in mind that Kipper2k and Steady are working on what will be a value 8Mbyte FastRAM add-on for the CD32.
Old 29 July 2014, 11:02   #55
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
I think you should bare in mind that Kipper2k and Steady are working on what will be a value 8Mbyte FastRAM add-on for the CD32.
Well, that would make the conversion a doddle.

Well, if that gets released, consider Putty Squad CD32 done
Old 30 July 2014, 11:05   #56
earok

Hi Galahad, apologies for this being so off topic but is SWOS CD32 a possibility?

Congrats on the Where Time Stood Still release, I looking forward to checking it out.
Old 30 July 2014, 11:12   #57
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
Hi Galahad, apologies for this being so off topic but is SWOS CD32 a possibility?

Congrats on the Where Time Stood Still release, I looking forward to checking it out.
No, for the same reasons as Putty Squad, takes up too much memory. But, again, if this cheap memory board comes to fruition, then yes, it can be done.
Old 25 September 2014, 00:33   #58
SteveUK

Coming Soon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	putty_squad_cd32_front.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	41691  
Old 25 September 2014, 03:53   #59
Xenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveUK View Post
Coming Soon
Great
Old 26 September 2014, 01:49   #60
Telemachus

I think Putty Squad should run on a CD32 you can free over 1.9mb on a CD32 using simple tools. I don't think Putty Squad would use 100% 2MB memory, that was never expect from a regular A1200 either.

Maybe other coders or whdload authors can chime in to confirm this, running with whdload is the problem I think. It would run fine without it, with just assigning the disks assuming they are not protected and are in amiga dos which I guess they might not be? It has worked for other AGA games.

On a real CD32 there is usually more memory available than on WinUAE due to people using a hard disk for testing.

Maybe we need a bounty challenge I put money on StingRay or Psygore

Last edited by Telemachus; 26 September 2014 at 14:34.