English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 06 September 2018, 22:01   #1
graffias79

Personal regrets with Amiga stuff

Have you ever regretted getting rid of something Amiga related and sometimes agonize over it? I have and I am still kicking myself now and then. The first was 14 years ago when I gave away an Amiga 3000UX that was given to me. I had the tape drive and everything. The system had Unix installed and working on it. I felt like it was something that should go where it would be appreciated for what it was. I would have not used any of the Amix stuff and honestly was not interested in that at all, but I do love the A3000. I ended up giving it to someone who would appreciate it and who understood Unix. I think about that beautiful A3000 sometimes. I haven't laid my hands on one since.

Then there was the time about 8 years ago when I sold my Blizzard 1260 for $200 because we were struggling and I needed to make a rent payment. I wish I had kept it and found something else to sell.

Another time was more recently when I traded two Zorro cards; a graphics card and a network card for practically nothing. I didn't realize their value. Probably won't see anything like that again.

But it's not all doom and gloom. I do have my wonderful A1200 with its 40MHz 030, and my original A500 upgraded to 2MB chip. I was also recently given two Amiga 4000s by a very generous person. I had to remove the batteries as soon as I got them and send the motherboards out for repair/recap.

Just wanted to lament. It felt good to get it out!
Old 06 September 2018, 22:22   #2
-Acid-

About 13 years ago we were doing our house up and I decided to get rid of all the junk... although I kept my A1200T I went to the tip with a mamouth box of copied disks (i'd estimate about 1500) and threw them in the skip. Now every time I see a floppy disk I just picture that box hitting the skip and the disks flying out all over the place and I feel sad each time lol

On another note I had an excellent condition Commodore 64 T2 pack I got in a j ob lot about 6 years ago but wasn't interested and didn't think I would ever use it. Gave it to my mate for £25 and now I really want one and see the prices those packs are going for
Old 06 September 2018, 23:42   #3
UberFreak

Not just Amiga specific, but I missed out on a free huge computer/console collection because I was not quick enough. TWICE.
Lost sleep and grew grey hairs because of it...

I regret that when having a chance to visit a central school warehouse full of Amigas on their way to recycling, I only took a few. I was living with my parents back then (it was the late 90's) and didn't have a place to store them
There were hundreds of A500, A600 and monitors there, I could've filled a big truck!

As for regretting letting stuff go, for some reason, ever since I was a child I had the good sense to keep almost everything I've had, except a few Nintendo Game&Watch which I really regret giving to my brother, who doesn't remember what happened to them.
Old 07 September 2018, 00:14   #4
desiv

The only Amiga stuff I regret getting rid of was all of my Amiga stuff.. ;-( ;-)

To be fair tho, financially I think it was the right call at the time, but it still hurt.

desiv
Old 07 September 2018, 09:23   #5
haynor666
retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
About 13 years ago we were doing our house up and I decided to get rid of all the junk... although I kept my A1200T I went to the tip with a mamouth box of copied disks (i'd estimate about 1500) and threw them in the skip. Now every time I see a floppy disk I just picture that box hitting the skip and the disks flying out all over the place and I feel sad each time lol
Several years ago I did the same. I've sold all games except A1200, joysticks and some books. Since we have now IPF files I was thinking that boxed games are no longer needed. At the time I also was black/death metal CDs collector so all cash that I got from sold amiga game I've invested into CDs. This was big mistake because rebuilding my sold collection was very time consuming and much more expensive. I should not sell my stuff that I emotionally attached

Of course there was other stuff like Megadrive, NES games but I never had this consoles personally, my friends had so selling those was not so painfull as selling amiga games. Looking at current prices I still regret selling those games.

Last edited by haynor666; 07 September 2018 at 09:33.
Old 07 September 2018, 11:56   #6
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Oh man, when i got my baby (daughter) is sold my amiga stuff
A 1200 with an Blizzard 1230-50mhz + Amiga Multisync Monitor
A 4000 with Blizzard 68060 and lots of RAM + Cybergraphix64 + scandoubler + CD burner

Sometimes later i found out that my parents sold my old Amiga 500 that was in the attic and my Micronic Infinity tower that was faulty on a local fleemarket for a good cause.

And pretty much all my boxed amiga games ( ohh god... just thinking of that .... )

Ohh Man,,, that huts , BUT i have a A600 Furia and a fully equiped CD32 Promodule even with my Infinity keyboard from back in the day (ha,, you didn´t find that mother)
and i am super happy with that.
Old 07 September 2018, 12:25   #7
haynor666
retro maniac

I have two kids but still after 8PM I have some time for my own hobby so I never thinking about selling computers and consoles. Also I've take everything from my old house (unlike my sisters).
Old 16 October 2018, 14:46   #8
WildW

When my Amiga 500 died in the late 90's . . . I threw it away. They weren't expensive then, and not long later I bought a 1200 . . . but, it was my actual first Amiga and now it's gone.

On power-on the screen was just purple. That's probably some super-easy fix, right?
Old 16 October 2018, 15:15   #9
clebin

A long time ago, my friend alerted me to an towerised A1200 on eBay with a Blizzard PPC. I nearly bought it but didn't have the space for it at the time. It was on for about £120.
Old 22 October 2018, 23:00   #10
Vypr

Around 2001 I gave away (not sold) an Amiga 500 with working A590 and A570 sidecars to my then boss as he was an Amiga buff like me and I wasn't using them as I was focussed on my A1200.
Bastard made me redundant two weeks later.
Old 23 October 2018, 02:25   #11
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vypr View Post
Around 2001 I gave away (not sold) an Amiga 500 with working A590 and A570 sidecars to my then boss as he was an Amiga buff like me and I wasn't using them as I was focussed on my A1200.
Bastard made me redundant two weeks later.
Savage!
Old 23 October 2018, 07:45   #12
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I wish I kept my original A500 instead of just throwing it away in 1995.
Old 23 October 2018, 11:32   #13
Daedalus

Back somewhere around the turn of the century, the Irish Amiga user group disbanded and became a mailing list-only operation. At that time, one of the members sent out an email late at night, offering a big collection of gear to the first person who replied. Since I didn't have a car at the time, I hesitated and tried to organise a lift before committing to it. Of course, someone got in before me, and ended up with a tidy haul. I should've just said I'd take it, and sorted the logistics afterwards!

I can't remember what was in it now, it was so long ago, but I remember there were a few Amigas and at least two genlocks...
Old 23 October 2018, 12:41   #14
project23
Used Register

Man, this is such a depressing thread, lol.

My personal regret is that in the early 2000's when the Amiga was the furthest thing from my mind, a friend wanted to resurrect his 1200 and needed a floppy drive. I offered him mine from my old 500+.

So at the time I had a tendency to take things apart and either put them back together with 2 of the original 400 screws, or just throw the parts in a bin bag and tie it and put it back in the loft.

Then we moved house.

Now i have no idea where it is - but I do remember seeing it last, and the shielding was bent to fsck and a key was missing. It would mean so much to me if i could find that original machine, and thats the frustrating thing - it could be up there somewhere in my mums house just in pieces under a load of other junk. (and i dont like spiders )

EDIT: I did keep good care of my friends A600 though, which is what got me back into the 'scene' (we haven't spoken for some years - I doubt he knows i even have it!). So at least there's that. If he ever wants it back its been retrobrited and recapped for him lol.
Old 23 October 2018, 14:04   #15
Marle
Pixel Vixen

I thought I already mentioned this, but I sold an A3000 for £150 in 2001 complete and working with keyboard and a few upgrades inside (nothing major, KS3.1 I think, 8MB Zorro II card, Goldengate 386SX card)

I sold a whole bunch of Amiga stuff in late 2000/early 2001, including a Blizzard PPC (when my A1200T died) and an A4000/060, but I hold no regrets on those, but the A3000 - definitely.
Old 23 October 2018, 17:41   #16
Peter
Still an Amiga user

I passed up buying an A3000 for £30 about 18 years ago now - big mistake as it was from a guy who was retiring his Amiga collection and it was very well looked after.

Having now got back into the Amiga after a break I do now regret sellling my last A1200 - Winuae does everything I need really (and it is absolutely fantastic) but I miss the whole set up and using the real Amiga keyboard!
Old 23 October 2018, 17:54   #17
bitter

I remember buying an Amiga 3000 when they were blowing them out at some big online store. Fully loaded, with 1084s, the works, for good money. This was my first Amiga, as I was a C64 to Atari ST guy. Spent days playing with Deluxe Paint IV, and Black Crypt. When it was time to go back to college, I decided to make an adult decision and sold it for peanuts to buy some PC crap. Miss that 3000 to this day, almost as much as selling my Atari Falcon, but that's a different forum...
Old 23 October 2018, 20:37   #18
nogginthenog
Amigan

I gave away an A2000 to a friend because I had a fully loaded A4000.
My beloved first A500 is MIA
Old 23 October 2018, 22:59   #19
hth313

I donated an A500 and two full sets of RKMs plus some books when I moved overseas 3 years ago.

I kept my A3000 through all the years and floppies at least. 3 days ago I found a pile of Amiga Transactor magazines that I have had displaced for long, happy reading!
Old 23 October 2018, 23:44   #20
Zak
Zap´em

A friend of mine dropped my A1200 on the stairs. Now you need to hit it everytime you want to start or it won't work at all. It also has lost the contrast and the picture you get from it is pale. I don't use it often though because I don't have space for my old computers. They are mostly in the attic.

I also regret that I can't get around to recap my computers. I don't have the money (I would need to let a company do this) and like I said the space to try get them running. Who knows if all that old computers still work?

My third regret is that I have had a very rare Kick Off 2 version that you can't get nowhere and long time ago I got the DMS program and I tried to make a DMS from it. The program said it is finished reading and I pulled out the disk. But it wasn't finished! And my disk was destroyed in a terrible roar!

All that regrets!