English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 17 July 2018, 12:52   #21
meynaf
son of 68k

I've just tried the above script (the one in the initial post) and it appears to be fine (aka works for me).
My guess is that if something's wrong here, it's not the script itself.

DH1: and DH3: are device names. Are they still the same now that peecee dirs are used instead of hardfiles ?

And again i suggest using SnoopDos. It would tell which file the script fails to open.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:15   #22
Foebane
Banned

PROBLEM SOLVED!

AND TO THE DUNCE CORNER WITH FOEBANE!

I solved the problem, although I'm not sure how it came about, but I neglected to mention before that I had been editing the script file IN WINDOWS with Notepad++. I had done this many times before with no issues, but something in Notepad++ must've changed, because it was formatting errors in the text that was causing the script file to fail. As soon as I re-saved it in DOpus Edit, strange characters appeared in the script. As soon as I took those out and saved it again, IT WORKED.

I am such a prat and I do apologise for wasting people's time on something which is my fault.

Also, I have just now run the script and extracted the archives to Windows folders under WinUAE. There should be no problems as WinUAE is managing the folders, but I'll let everyone know in due course.

Once again, sorry. And thanks. Don't hit me.
Old 17 July 2018, 13:17   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
I solved the problem, although I'm not sure how it came about, but I neglected to mention before that I had been editing the script file IN WINDOWS with Notepad++. I had done this many times before with no issues, but something in Notepad++ must've changed, because it was formatting errors in the text that was causing the script file to fail. As soon as I re-saved it in DOpus Edit, strange characters appeared in the script. As soon as I took those out and saved it again, IT WORKED.
I've seen that before if I edit a simple text file in Notepad, move over to the Amiga and then edit in a text editor.

Those "strange characters" you talk of are carriage returns...
Old 17 July 2018, 13:23   #24
meynaf
son of 68k

Notepad++ can manage Amiga files pretty well. Just ensure it says "UNIX" instead of "Windows".
Old 17 July 2018, 13:44   #25
Foebane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I've seen that before if I edit a simple text file in Notepad, move over to the Amiga and then edit in a text editor.

Those "strange characters" you talk of are carriage returns...
Yes, I know all about the PC using Line Feed AND Carriage Return (two ASCII characters) for the end of every line in a text document, whilst the Amiga only used Line Feeds. Or was it the other way around?

When I was in college in the 1990s, I used CrossDOS to be able to edit text documents for work and programming assignments in my BTEC Computing course, but more often than not I had to edit out the Carriage Returns when going from one platform to another, one way of course, because the document always had double spacing, one line of text followed by a blank.

I saw that again today, although only lines I had edited were affected, and the rest had unknown characters at the end of the lines, represented by little rectangle characters.

Anyway, I fixed all that now and all is right again.
Old 17 July 2018, 17:26   #26
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
>> is append to, where as a single > is just output / redirect to.

Foebane has used the >> so the log doesn't get overwritten and is appended to
Learned something, thanks!