English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 April 2018, 12:28   #1
Devlin
Sorcerian

CF adapters

My 1200 does not like my CF adapter at all.
The CFs I use are fine, they're all 4gb so no scsi.device messing - I've done full (slow) scans on them and got an all clear on the PC (and tested them in WinUAE to make sure they boot fine and load properly), but the amiga refuses to detect the CF right away and will come up with frequent checksum errors when it does decide to boot..

This is however, putting me off the idea of using CFs - so what are my options for getting a 4GB disk(that's preferably silent) into the amiga in such a way that it'll be reliable and stay that way for a long time?
Old 21 April 2018, 13:39   #2
Daedalus

Some CF cards simply don't follow the full ATA specification and therefore aren't fully compatible. The adaptor is a simple, passive device and normally doesn't in itself cause compatibility problems. What make is it? An alternative that some people use is an IDE-SD card adaptor, which seem to give more consistent results because it's down to the adaptor, not the card, to be compatible.

IDE DOMs are also a good option to check out.
Old 21 April 2018, 17:29   #3
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Some CF cards simply don't follow the full ATA specification
In any case they follow specs which are much newer than those of the Amiga device drivers. This requires you to implement some workarounds. Most important is to set MaxTransfer for each partition to a value which forces transfer splits to be done by the file system and not the device driver, because the way the device driver does it does not follow the new specs. Failure to do this might cause the checksum errors.

Checksum errors can also be caused by bad cabling, for example too long cables or bad shielding.
Old 21 April 2018, 20:36   #4
Devlin
Sorcerian

The adapter in question is just a cheapo passive style small-form one, like what's pictured. It's not nearly as well made, however.

MaxTransfer, filesystem IDs and filesystems were correctly set up in HDToolbox/WinUAE before being put into hardware.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sku_17834_1.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	57943  
Old 22 April 2018, 12:19   #5
jotd
Cat freak

I use DeLock 44IDE to CF adapter on my A1200 it works just fine. DeLock is a good company, creating quality adapter stuff. It's cheap too.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:48   #6
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devlin View Post
The adapter in question is just a cheapo passive style small-form one, like what's pictured. It's not nearly as well made, however.

MaxTransfer, filesystem IDs and filesystems were correctly set up in HDToolbox/WinUAE before being put into hardware.
That adapter is the VB1 which will not work well with the Amiga, I have sent you a PM
Old 22 April 2018, 16:24   #7
Devlin
Sorcerian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
That adapter is the VB1 which will not work well with the Amiga, I have sent you a PM
I have not received any PM's did it not send?
Old 22 April 2018, 16:31   #8
supaduper

Quote:
I have not received any PM's did it not send?
Ok, I mailed you again
Old 23 April 2018, 22:24   #9
duga

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
What's the problem with the V.B1 model?
Old 23 April 2018, 22:59   #10
supaduper

Quote:
Originally Posted by duga View Post
What's the problem with the V.B1 model?
Its just from my own experience using a few of them with my Amiga, they just dont cut the mustard and would fail ,throw up errors.just generally unreliable....I suppose thats why they came out with ver VH2
Old 24 April 2018, 04:14   #11
Nightshft

Ive had 2 issues with CF Cards and Adapters in the last time.

I didnt have a HD in my A600 some months ago and bought an Adapter and some older (in this case: better?) cards from different sources (sized 128MB to 4GB). In WinUAE the cards worked fine (how awesome is the possibility to mount them directly - thanks Toni!). But they were not recognized in the Amiga600. Solution: I bought a second adapter from a different source and it really was the culprit. I know its only passive, but some contacts must have been bad (not visible).

Second, with the working adapter the A600 would only accept 1 card of the 8 different cards i have. With most of the cards, I could partition it in HDTools, but afterwards the WB would not recognize them. Two cards even came from a source that claimed to sell only this brand/cardtype and it always works on Amigas.

I invested hours and hours. Partition the card in WinUAE, partition it in the Amiga, MaxTransfer this, other setting that, ... no solution. It bugged me so much that in a fine hour I decided to make a bigger step:
I bought an A1200 incl. working card and adapter. And - what did you think ... it takes all the cards

So if I didn't miss something, the A600 has some kind of hardware bug that doesn't let it recognize many CF Cards at the Workbench (after partitioning).

PS: I'm sure it could also be the other way around. Does anybody know why the A600 recognizes nearly no cards? Bad capacitors maybe?
Old 24 April 2018, 17:37   #12
Devlin
Sorcerian

After a lovely gift from supaduper I confirmed it was my CF>IDE adapter that was the issue.

I'd recommend not buying an el cheapo one from ebay.
Old 24 April 2018, 20:51   #13
-Acid-

Quote:
After a lovely gift from supaduper I confirmed it was my CF>IDE adapter that was the issue.

I'd recommend not buying an el cheapo one from ebay.
They're all el cheapos... same factory makes them all same as televisions etc. In this case i've used dozens of £1 adapters and they've all worked perfectly, you probably just had a defective one.
Old 24 April 2018, 22:57   #14
Akira

Yeah it's hit and miss. I only buy el cheapo adapters. Most work, some don't.
Old 03 May 2018, 22:24   #15
amiga1260

What is the brand of CF card you use?

I mostly use the brand Sandisk.
Old 03 May 2018, 22:30   #16
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga1260 View Post
What is the brand of CF card you use?

I mostly use the brand Sandisk.
I have successfully used anything ranging from proper Sandisks to cheapy Transcend to unmarked no-brand things. Ss far I haven't bought any that didn't work, but I think it also has to do with sticking to lower capacity cards. Higher capacity seems to yield more pickiness.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:27   #17
-Acid-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I have successfully used anything ranging from proper Sandisks to cheapy Transcend to unmarked no-brand things. Ss far I haven't bought any that didn't work, but I think it also has to do with sticking to lower capacity cards. Higher capacity seems to yield more pickiness.
I agree with this, i've used loads of different brands and even the cheapo no name ones from China have never failed. I would say any card up to 16gb will work as expected, once you go above that then you are starting to navigate the fakes minefield... 64gb and up is where the fakes start to have a big profit margin worth pursuing for the makers of them.
Old 04 May 2018, 00:50   #18
Akira

It's not just fakes, I think the Amiga is picky regarding what it will accept there, and the bigger the capacity, the newer the card, and maybe the more chances it has some feature the Amiga doesn't like. I'm just guessing here.

The older/smaller the card is, the more chances it approximates something compatible with Amiga-era stuff.