English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 November 2014, 14:44   #541
r.cade

I was not able to flash my Gotek... I only constantly got "unrecognized device" no matter what OS or serial driver.

Finally, I found another forum unrelated to Gotek (ST Microelectronics) that some were able to use the 3.3V (from the USB-TTL line to the Gotek) instead of the 5V line. I tried that, and it worked first time.

May be of some help to people unable to flash.
Old 27 November 2014, 08:09   #542
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by r.cade View Post
I was not able to flash my Gotek... I only constantly got "unrecognized device" no matter what OS or serial driver.

Finally, I found another forum unrelated to Gotek (ST Microelectronics) that some were able to use the 3.3V (from the USB-TTL line to the Gotek) instead of the 5V line. I tried that, and it worked first time.

May be of some help to people unable to flash.

I got that until i flashed under xp
Old 05 January 2015, 11:52   #543
spatuluk

Been trying to flash a Gotek using a Prolific cable for the past few days - it's nightmarish!

Tried under Windows 7 on an AMD, Windows XP on an Intel, Windows 7 on an Intel, and Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 on an Intel. Haven't tried Linux yet, as I don't have it installed on anything.

I've only successfully connected once, on the AMD after adjusting to low baud, and the software crashed while removing write protection. Since then, the Gotek's LEDs don't turn on when the programming jumper's removed, and I've never had another successful connection.

I've got a different type of cable on order, but I'm a bit worried the Gotek's bricked. Is that possible?

Old 05 January 2015, 11:57   #544
tomse
We need more scans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatuluk View Post
Been trying to flash a Gotek for the past few days - it's nightmarish!

Tried under Windows 7 on an AMD, Windows XP on an Intel, Windows 7 on an Intel, and Windows XP Mode in Windows 7 on an Intel. Haven't tried Linux yet, as I don't have it installed on anything.

I've only successfully connected once, on the AMD after adjusting to low baud, and the software crashed while removing write protection. Since then, the Gotek's LEDs don't turn on when the programming jumper's removed, and I've never had another successful connection.

I've got a different type of cable on order, but I'm a bit worried the Gotek's bricked. Is that possible?
I've had the same issue..
lots of resets on the drive + unplug and replug the usb->seriel adapter made me talk to the gotek drive again.

I've had best success with flashing at 14k4bps on win 7.
After each unsuccessful try, you should close the application.

Start the app, reset the gotek drive, wait 1-2 secs and then try to make the connection. It takes some fiddling to do when it behaves like that. I got mine to work though.
Old 05 January 2015, 12:35   #545
spatuluk

I'll keep trying, then!

I think I'll solder a flexible wire onto the reset terminal, to make it easier to reset quickly.

Old 06 January 2015, 00:23   #546
spatuluk

At least 50 tries, so far, and still unrecognized. I even soldered TX and RX directly to the pcb, to make sure it was definitely making contact! What a waste of an evening.

On the plus side, reset is definitely doing something, and taking the programming jumper off does something, so it's not bricked. Just an awful cable, I guess. Hopefully the CP2102 cable that's on it's way will work better (I hardly ever see people having issues with those)

Old 06 January 2015, 01:28   #547
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

@spatuluk
Be careful of some Prolific serial cables you can get on eBay UK.

I bought 6 months ago a serial cable (one of those in the greenish transparent plastic) which I intended to use with Amiga Explorer. It _never_ worked properly. It would just truncate data randomly and cut the connection whenever it felt like it.

Bought another cable and that one worked like a charm. If it's the same issue here it might be cutting off the connection during the programming...
Old 07 January 2015, 08:16   #548
Jope
-

Loads of fake prolific chips floating around. The fakes don't handle bidirectional comms at all, throwing garbage bytes into the rx stream (from the computer's pov).

This one worked:
http://jope.fi/pl2303hxc.jpg

This one didn't and has the garbage bytes problem as verified with a terminal connection:
http://jope.fi/pl2303hx.jpg
Old 07 January 2015, 18:33   #549
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Loads of fake prolific chips floating around. The fakes don't handle bidirectional comms at all, throwing garbage bytes into the rx stream (from the computer's pov).

This one worked:
http://jope.fi/pl2303hxc.jpg

This one didn't and has the garbage bytes problem as verified with a terminal connection:
http://jope.fi/pl2303hx.jpg
I could manage to get mine working for file transfers with NComm and ZMODEM transfers, but it was a special kind of hell everytime I had to transfer a big file. And I won't tell you how many times I had to retry with TYPE SER: to get NComm over first (adding some padding at the end using a tool I found).

Anyway, it's off-topic
Old 08 January 2015, 00:26   #550
breech

The official prolific drivers come with a fake chip detection app, try it out.
Old 12 January 2015, 15:50   #551
spatuluk

I tried the ID software, and it seemed to like it. I never did get it working with that cable, but it seems that it was an issue with the 5V (despite using 2 different laptops and a desktop)

When I tried the CP2102 cable. It didn't work with 5V connected to 5V, but it did work with 3.3V connected to 5V, as r.cade mentioned.

It's now loading Amiga games!

Old 13 January 2015, 20:07   #552
LieutLaww

Amiga Gotek Floppy Emulator featured in this months Custom PC !!
Old 02 February 2015, 23:12   #553
lesta_smsc

Since there are numerous different types of this drive and varying prices. Would it be possible to create a list of working devices?
Old 03 February 2015, 00:11   #554
Nobby_UK

I think they are all basically the same inside,
though I don't know about the 720k variety's.

Just some have No Display or a 2 or 3 digit display
and some show 2 LEDs and others just 1.
Old 03 February 2015, 20:41   #555
tomse
We need more scans!

the different models are shipped with that firmware.. i.e. a 720k drive, and 1440k drive.

they're all the same inside, except for the LED's as Nobby mentions.
Once you flash Hervé's firmware it'll become an amiga drive and you don't need to worry if it's for a yamaha, or other keyboard/sewing machine.
Old 04 February 2015, 02:05   #556
lesta_smsc

Cool. Lots of price variations. Some are half price of others so just needed some confirmation lol
Old 04 February 2015, 10:22   #557
tomse
We need more scans!

I would go for the one that cost ~USD $16.50 free shipping which is the cheapest I can find ;-)

paying > $40 + shipping is ridiculous just because it has a sticker saying Amiga.
Old 04 February 2015, 18:36   #558
christopherpm

Does anyone have a Gotek working with a CDTV? I flashed my Gotek with 1.05a. Formatted a 4GB USB and put selector.adf in the root of the USB along with 2 game adf files.

Since I want to use this with the CDTV, I have taken a drive out of a Cumana CAX-354 and have put the Gotek in it's place (had to run a short floppy and power cable).

Plugged it into the CDTV and powered on. Gotek shows '000' but CDTV goes straight to the spinning disc screen. If I press either key on the Gotek, the display briefly switches to '---' then back to '000', and the LED on the USB drive is constantly flashing.
Old 04 February 2015, 20:18   #559
dJOS

I just ordered a couple of gotek drives to play with - is there any special I need to do to replace a real floppy drive inside one of those external metal 3rd party drive enclosures (aside from the firmware replacement)?

Last edited by dJOS; 04 February 2015 at 21:37.
Old 04 February 2015, 21:54   #560
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
I just ordered a couple of gotek drives to play with - is there any special I need to do to replace a real floppy drive inside one of those external metal 3rd party drive enclosures (aside from the firmware replacement)?
I just plugged the Gotek in the same as the original drive. It works with a A1200 as DF1 & CDTV as DF0.