English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 October 2017, 19:39   #21
Havie

Can you just pop up an English translation why you're at it?
Old 07 October 2017, 20:06   #22
NeoHippie2016
Freak

Thank you very much, Sir Damien! I am test this piece of nice software today or tomorrow...
Old 07 October 2017, 20:34   #23
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoHippie2016 View Post
Thank you very much, Sir Damien! I am test this piece of nice software today or tomorrow...
Cool, please do and let me know if there are any issues
Old 07 October 2017, 20:40   #24
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
Can you just pop up an English translation why you're at it?
I can definitely have a try but first I need to find the PC version that has the English files.

...though from what jVP mentioned, it didn't work

He is way more Amiga knowledgeable than I am, sounds like some coders / crackers would need to undertake this.
Old 07 October 2017, 21:27   #25
Havie

Sorry - was only joking but hey if you think you can do it...
Old 07 October 2017, 21:32   #26
DamienD
Banned

Nope, I probably can't.

...where was the sarcastic emoji then; damn you?
Old 07 October 2017, 23:07   #27
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Lightbulb Old Skool CD-Rips of AmigaCD Games

@Damien
All the AmigaCD threads that you've started has finally prompted me to get off my backside and fetch out a few of the old skool CD-Rips released to the scene back in the day. The upside of the old skool CD-Rips is that most of them are true cracks and dispense with the need to have an original game CD inserted while playing off hard drive. The downside is that often they were released in cumbersome multi-part archives (e.g. Wet, for instance, was released by HF in a mind-boggling 43 lha archives that needs "joining" using the supplied jsplit utility or similar; the joined archive then needs to be unpacked to HD and IIRC people will then have to run the installer to HD install the game).

Of course, the reason most CD-Rips were released to the scene in multi-part archives is that the games predated high speed internet and everyone was still on dial-up (except for the lucky, lucky, lucky few who were on an expensive ISDN connections at home or T1/T2/T3 connections at uni./work!). Admittedly, it always makes me smirk when I see people who left the Amiga in the floppy disk era complaining years later, in this era of high speed internet, about the clunky multi-archive releases of Amiga CD-Rips and large HD games.

Anyway, there were other drawbacks to the old skool CD-Rips. Notably, some are missing large intros/outros (to reduce d/l time on dial-up back in the day), are bugged or lacking enhancements if patches were later released for the games, and few (if any) had trainers integrated into them like some of the disk games released to the scene did.

Having read this far, you (and others) might be wondering what I'm getting at with my post. Well, I think it's pretty important that TOSEC preserves Amiga history (like SPS is doing for original commercial releases of Amiga games). While they seem to have made significant strides in hunting down cracks etc. of Amiga disk games, they still seem to be failing quite miserably in unearthing CD-Rips, HD cracks etc. of games released in the latter days of the scene following the demise of Escom (circa 1996). Why that is, I'm not sure, as there are plenty of resources on the EAB FTP server and other Amiga FTP sites that could easily be tapped into if a bit of time was invested in looking through the warez CD collections. In fact, you don't even need to go through all that many - just looking through a few key CD collections will cover quite a lot of what's missing in TOSEC from the latter days of the Amiga BBS scene (e.g. Caviar CDs, Beavis CDs, Boondocks BBS CDs, Fortress BBS CDs). There's plenty more to be had on the FTP server too! Just follow the link below and see for yourself:

https://is.gd/OeziPF

@TOSEC members / enthusiasts
Find the old skool CD-Rip of WET - The Sexy Empire by Hellfire in my personal folder on the FTP server. This is simply a single archive repack of the HF CD-Rip, which was released to the scene in the form of 43 lha archives (sans intro and extro) in 1998. You will still need to use the included installer to HD install the game from the looks of it. I, myself, haven't had time to test the HF crack yet (although Iggy and HF were usually pretty reliable with their releases!), and I'm also guessing that applying the WET patch - which replaces the main exec - will render the HF crack useless and an original CD will need to be inserted to run the game off HD.

https://is.gd/pgoZAY

EDIT: @Damien Feel free to separate my post from this thread and create another thread if you feel it's out of place here!

Last edited by DrBong; 08 October 2017 at 20:58. Reason: Fixed sentences/typos!
Old 07 October 2017, 23:24   #28
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrBong View Post
EDIT: @Damien Feel free to make this post a separate dedicated thread if you feel it's out of place here!
Damn you Prof Bong!!! How dare you talk OT in my thread...

...nah my friend, some very good points made here. Cheers as always

With my *sort of* recent flurry of "AmigaCD --> .HDF / LHA" files; really I'm doing these for myself in order to add to my WinUAE collection but am very happy to share with my fellow Amigos (even if it means I need to work harder to overcome things like; very minimal WB files used; assigns created to extract / run from anywhere; changing icons to start my custom script instead of just launching the file as I want extra menus / notes / things; adding useful trainers; blah / blah / blah).

...anyway, I'm learning new things / overcoming issues with each challenge and I do quite enjoy tinkering

Plus, all my "AmigaCD --> .HDF / LHA" miss nothing if I can help it; unlike some of the RIPs you refer to (but I get their reasons for this "back in the day").

My starting sources are always the original CD-ROMs and I'll work / improve from there

BTW, feel free to link to any of my projects on HOL as you've done previously.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 October 2017 at 01:41.
Old 13 October 2017, 23:14   #29
NeoHippie2016
Freak

@DamienD: Sorry man, but after unpacking lha & joining intro, and after double clicking the wet icon the screen and mouse pointer freezes. I cannot see the error number or other informations. Must i use a monitoring program after rebooting to check why it hangs up?
Old 13 October 2017, 23:22   #30
DamienD
Banned

...so you mean I wasted all that time for nothing?

You are using OS 4.x hey; maybe it's just not compatible on that OS?

Try installing yourself from the original CD-ROM (though you will need it mounted) and see what happens. Can't imagine there will be any difference though as my package is the full CD-ROM with some *smart* assigns / file edits.

Quote:
Must i use a monitoring program after rebooting to check why it hangs up?
Yes, I think this is the answer to your problems

...you probably have different OS 4.1 Libs etc. that the game doesn't know about / like.

@anyone else; have you tried either the .HDF (i.e. emulation) or .LHA (i.e. real Amiga) and had any issues?
Old 14 October 2017, 00:27   #31
NeoHippie2016
Freak

@DamienD: No, i have 3.9 with Boing Bag 1 & 2 installed, not OS 4.x!!
Old 14 October 2017, 00:42   #32
NeoHippie2016
Freak

@DamienD: No problem! There are so many games out there, i cannot play the all in my Life!

Last edited by NeoHippie2016; 14 October 2017 at 00:43. Reason: return pushed too fast
Old 14 October 2017, 00:56   #33
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
@DamienD: No, i have 3.9 with Boing Bag 1 & 2 installed, not OS 4.x!!
My point was that if you have an OS installed on your Amiga that didn't exist at the time of the game's release then...

...I hate to sound harsh but, if it doesn't work on 3.5 / 3.9 / 4.x then really there's not much more that I can do at the end of the day.

I'm no programmer / coder

Last edited by DamienD; 15 October 2017 at 03:18.
Old 14 October 2017, 00:58   #34
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Try installing yourself from the original CD-ROM (though you will need it mounted) and see what happens.
Yep or try the cracked version. According to the game inlay, Wet is supposed to be compatible with accelerators up to 68060 running under KS 3.0 (2MB chip/8MB fast). Bearing that in mind, OS 3.5/3.9 shouldn't really break the game.

https://is.gd/pgoZAY
Old 14 October 2017, 01:30   #35
DamienD
Banned

Thanks for the additional info DrBong

...though I doubt a cracked version will make any difference on NeoHippie2016's system.

Anyway, I'm done with this now... and it's not even a game that I could ever play / enjoy due to being German only.

The reason I took this project on in the first place was as a favour to our new member; gradius3.

@gradius3; does it work for you? If so, then my job is done

Last edited by DamienD; 15 October 2017 at 03:16.
Old 14 October 2017, 02:28   #36
AMIGASYSTEM

Damiano i tested it Wet it works perfectly on OS 3.9 BB1, OS 3.9 BB2, ClassicWB96, ClassicWB 3.9, AmigaSYS4, AmiKit and AFA OS 3.9 BB1-2-3-4 RTG see screenshot

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 November 2017 at 21:59.
Old 15 October 2017, 14:33   #37
DamienD
Banned

Cheers for testing AMIGASYSTEM
Old 07 September 2019, 14:37   #38
mareks

I know it's Going to be one mighty necro :P
But

You could edit your startup-sequence to include two more lines for it to be "out of the box - one click experience" and skip the need to click on icon to start the game

Code:
SetPatch QUIET
Assign WET: SYS:WET
LoadWB
CD WET
Wetami
EndCLI

And as for the translation and dropping in pc files, they do not work since they are different.
The only thing that you can edit is the hlp.dat in perso drawer. So basically you could copy paste help descriptions from english version to amiga one.

The thing is that pc (at least the gog one) has video files instead of text in first chapter, so they are missing from the english hlp file.

I tried looking into .TAP files but they seem to have weird format and none of the usual software want to open it.
The .TAF files are password protected, and even if I knew that, I'm not convinced anymore that this is the filetype that it appears to be :P

Someone with technical knowledge about file types format used would need to take a look into this to figure it out

So to summarize, if you want to play english version play the PC one :P

Cheers and sorry for the necro :P
Old 07 September 2019, 22:27   #39
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mareks View Post
You could edit your startup-sequence to include two more lines for it to be "out of the box - one click experience" and skip the need to click on icon to start the game

Code:
SetPatch QUIET
LoadWB
CD WET
Wetami
EndCLI
Yeah I could do that.

You don't need "LoadWB" or "EndCli" then so:

Code:
SetPatch QUIET
CD WET
Wetami
Old 22 April 2020, 17:46   #40
Keen

Many thanks for bringing back this very special game About 20 years ago, I played it for the last time. Actually I just realized a few months ago that it was also published for the Amiga. BTW it work´s fine, saving and loading work without problems. So "Vielen Dank" from Germany