English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 April 2016, 12:32   #1
necronom

Transferring Amiga HD to CF card

I'm wanting to change the noisy, and very large 3.5" internal HD on my A1200 with a CF card - This backplate with the CF card option.

I currently have several partitions:

DH0 - 2.0 Gb Work (SFS0)
DH1 - 50Mb Workbench (SFS0)
DH2 - 500Mb (SFS0)
DH3 - 1.9Gb (SFS0)
DH4 - 100Mb (FFS)

How do I get all of this duplicated to the CF card? I'm hoping I can do something like stick the Amiga HD into my old XP PC (which has an IDE ATA interface), then use something to clone the disk to the card. I have a card reader (CF card I/II) that I can install into either the XP or Win 7 PC. I thought this would be the number 1 problem when people get a card reader, but when I've searched, I just read about people re-installing WB. I spent years getting my Amiga how I have it, and I don't want to start again from scratch.

I can transfer from my XP PC to my Amiga with a serial cable, but it's VERY slow. I have a fairly up to date copy of DH0 and DH1, but it would be a pain getting them back on. Would adding them to a HDF file help with transferring it?

Another way is to get a network card, a PCMCIA wireless or cabled one (I guess the wireless one is better), or a Gotek drive, but that means losing my internal drive, which isn't something I'd want to do. I think there is an option to run it as DF1, through the parallel port (?), but it's all adding expense, and I rarely use my Amiga these days.

There are lots of options, but I'm looking for an easy one, that doesn't cost a lot.
Old 04 April 2016, 12:44   #2
demolition
Unregistered User

I think that simply cloning the drive to a CF card should be a solution. The CF card will need to be at least as big as the HDD.

First, dump your HDD to an image using something like WinImage (the trial version can be used), then use WI to write it back to the CF card.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:35   #3
necronom

I have Easus ToDoBackup, which creates disk images, so I might try that first. I wasn't sure if you could use CF cards as I would a normanl HD and partition it, etc. So, if I'm understanding correctly, I should put my Amiga HD into my XP PC, then use imaging software to create a backup disk image? I wasn't sure if PC software would be able to handle Amiga drives, but assuming that works okay, then I format and partition the CF card using Windows Disk Management, then restore the backup images to the CF cards partitions (dh0 - dh4), then put that in the Amiga, and fingers crossed it will work.
Will all the RDB stuff all work correctly, or will I have to boot wo WB first and use HDToolBox or something to get it to boot?
Old 05 April 2016, 11:40   #4
demolition
Unregistered User

The imaging software should just treat it as a raw disk device so the image will contain the partition table etc. For the same reason, it is usually best to clean the destination CF card completely, i.e. remove all partitions to make sure the imaging software is writing to the device and not a partition. The Amiga does not understand MBR partitions as used on the PC, but when you restore from the image, it will also restore the Amiga partition table as it was on the HDD.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:45   #5
nogginthenog
Amigan

Can't you attach the CF and the HD at the same time?
Then you can just partition the CF and copy the files across.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:46   #6
necronom

demolition: Thanks. I go and order one of those CF HD/backplates now.

nogginthenog: Ahh! Yes, that might work. I could partition it in WinUAE I suppose. I'd have to remember how to create the SFS partitions first.
Old 05 April 2016, 11:54   #7
demolition
Unregistered User

Be careful connecting them both as HDToolBox will make modifications to both devices as they need to be 'chained'. In any case, make an image as a backup before doing anything else. It only takes minutes and could be time well spent.
Old 05 April 2016, 12:36   #8
necronom

Yep, I will. The last thing I'd want to happen is to lose my current setup. I'll make a hdf file, too, as I think I can put the drive in, then point WinUAE to it and them make the hdf file from there, or make a blank one and copy everything to it.

I'm not aware of this chaining thing. I'll have to look into that. HDToolBox scares me!
Old 05 April 2016, 12:48   #9
supaduper

SFS good but PFS aio better , definately back the HD up first before you touch it with HDtoolbox, and when you put the CF and HD on WINuae to copy it over, make sure that the CF DH0_0: is named something other than `System` as they wont boot as they will conflict you can rename it after its all done.
Old 05 April 2016, 13:00   #10
necronom

I've just re-read the product description on the link I posted above, and it says: "Additional IDE connector for connecting another compatible 44-way IDE device.". Does that mean I can plug my current HD into it with the CF card reader, then just do it all from the A1200?
Old 05 April 2016, 13:10   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

Only if the CF card plays nice in company with another drive which is not always the case. But you can try, and remember that one device needs to be master, the other one slave. Some CF cards are permanently configured as master and cannot be changed.
Old 05 April 2016, 13:14   #12
supaduper

Best way is PC/Laptop use a usb adapter to IDE, plug it in there and use winuae

Last edited by supaduper; 05 April 2016 at 13:20.
Old 05 April 2016, 13:23   #13
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaduper View Post
Best way is PC/Laptop use a usb adapter to IDE, plug it in there and use winuae
+1
Old 06 April 2016, 00:18   #14
fgh

No need to create a hdf, as you can mount the image you create from the hdd in winuae just like any other hdf.
If your CF is larger than the hdd image, your rdb will only let you have partitions inside the hdd-sized area. The clever little app fixhddsize from aminet can fix this.
Don't forget a 2,5 to 3,5 ide adapter to access the hdd in your pc

Last edited by fgh; 06 April 2016 at 08:05. Reason: typo
Old 13 April 2016, 22:33   #15
necronom

I decided to keep the card I got from AmigaKit as it was, add stuff to that, and use it as my Games Card.

I've just got a new CF card today, and I'm trying to format and partition it. I've got to the point where I've added the new file system in HDToolBox, then set up a partition and pressed Change. I then get a different screen to the ones mentioned in threads and YouTube videos. I'm not getting the cycle gadget, I get four buttons. The bottom left one says Custom, but the Vids show Custom as one cycled option, then SFS as another. I'm using SFS because that's what my real HD uses, and I'd rather just stick with that, then manually copy the files over as I'm going to be changing partition sizes, etc.

I thought I probably have an old version of HDToolBox (it's from the WB 3.0 Install disk, as I have KS/WB 3.0). Is it safe to use the one from 3.1 or download one? I'm always worried about messing with file systems and using different versions of partitioning software.

[edit] I used the 3.1 install disk, and the newer version of HDToolbox, and it looks okay, so I'll copy my files across tomorrow.

Last edited by necronom; 14 April 2016 at 00:04.
Old 14 April 2016, 13:19   #16
seb132
French in Australia

Send a message via MSN to seb132 Send a message via Yahoo to seb132
This is an interesting thread. I'll follow it since I have the same issue AND on top of that some of my partitions are not Amiga DOS formatted as they contain msDOS filesystem for PC-Task and MacOS filesystem.
So far I cloned the Amiga partitions easily by connecting my 3.5" Amiga hard drive on a USB station connected to my PC and using WinUAE but for the non-AmigaDOS partitions I have no plan...
Old 14 April 2016, 14:50   #17
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
This is an interesting thread. I'll follow it since I have the same issue AND on top of that some of my partitions are not Amiga DOS formatted as they contain msDOS filesystem for PC-Task and MacOS filesystem.
Most PC software does not know the concept of 'Amiga partitions', so software like WinImage, Linux dd etc. will just clone everything on the drive including the partition table and all partitions, no matter what type they are.
Old 14 April 2016, 14:54   #18
seb132
French in Australia

@demolition: that's what I thought... I'm just interested in seeing what they do with the excess of space you have on a CF card compared to a 20 year old harddrive... But it will be my next move : to try WinImage... I got it for my raspberry Pi...
Old 14 April 2016, 14:58   #19
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by seb132 View Post
@demolition: that's what I thought... I'm just interested in seeing what they do with the excess of space you have on a CF card compared to a 20 year old harddrive... But it will be my next move : to try WinImage... I got it for my raspberry Pi...
The extra space will probably become 'invisible' as the CF card will look to be the same size as the source HDD. HDToolBox does not allow changing the drive size without wiping all partitions, but perhaps some other software could do it.
Old 14 April 2016, 15:00   #20
seb132
French in Australia

I'll try and report here... soon.
But it seems to be a neat solution, indeed.