English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 21 November 2015, 11:43   #1
Robmiller

help please

after 18 years I got my trusty amiga1200 down from the loft a few weeks back. I new that it had aproblem with the power plug, I ordered one on ebay and modified it to fit. powered up so far so good. plugged in an old amiga monitor workbench screen comes up but not the right size, drives visible but rest off screen. took it down stairs to hook up to tv grey screen only. tried on old pc monitor no signal any ideas anyone please.
amiga 1200 in power tower

Old 21 November 2015, 13:51   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmiller View Post
after 18 years I got my trusty amiga1200 down from the loft a few weeks back. I new that it had aproblem with the power plug, I ordered one on ebay and modified it to fit. powered up so far so good. plugged in an old amiga monitor workbench screen comes up but not the right size, drives visible but rest off screen. took it down stairs to hook up to tv grey screen only. tried on old pc monitor no signal any ideas anyone please.
amiga 1200 in power tower
You say "not right size" but could you be more precise? Is the image horizontally elongated and thus not entirely visible on screen or is it simply shifted to the right?
In any case, did you try manipulating the monitor size/position potentiometers? If they are not at the front, they usually are available at the back of the monitor. Sometimes you will need to use a screwdriver to access them.

As for the grey screen on your TV, I would think it's either your TV's fault and knowing its model would probably help in verifying this. That or your Amiga is indeed outputting an invalid video signal, which could be possibly due to caps having gone to capacitance heaven.
Old 21 November 2015, 13:59   #3
Dagger

Hi, Rob, welcome to the board. Whereabouts in London are you as if you not to far from me might be able to help you out.
Old 21 November 2015, 15:27   #4
Robmiller

Thanks for the replys guys. ok mucked about with controls on amiga monitor and now displays workbench screen and drives. tv is a Samsung 1080 led tv connected via scart lead to amiga video port. amiga monitor is an original cm8833 rgb monitor. pc monitor connected to card output.
Dagger I'm just over the bridge in orpington

Old 21 November 2015, 15:52   #5
Dagger

Hi, ok you over otherside to me. Have you managed to to get a picture using the rgb/scart lead?
Old 21 November 2015, 16:05   #6
Robmiller

no not yet.had a look on tv settings cant find anything that block rgb signal via scart. could be a damaged lead?????

Old 21 November 2015, 16:08   #7
Dagger

Yes it could be damaged. I have 2 faulty ones. One gives a picture but flickers every now and again and the other produces a blank display. Have you an ariel lead that you could try on an old tele. New tele's can be a pain to tune
Old 21 November 2015, 16:20   #8
Robmiller

yeah think ive got a bit of coax somewhere will give it a try