meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Oops, forgot that that Glad you like it
Yes, I like it.

Quote:
Anyway, I've also found two small optimizations for your ham renderer (read the comments I've added):
(...)

This will save four cycles in in the three r/g/b cases, and about twelve (I think) in the palette case. I never thought I'd think of a way to optimize this baby further
Unfortunately it's not as good as it looks.

First, by not and'ing the values to FC before using them you'll make imprecisions which, though not really affecting overall visual quality, will defeat the fringing reduction method which require exact comparisons.
The 12-bit method isn't affected but the rest will be.

Second, -(a6) will be one cycle slower than (a6)+, which is the same as (a6), and as a result you'll in fact lose 2 cycles in the general case.
As fixed pixels are not great part of the image, the gain here is not enough to compensate.

Sorry for the cold shower

Quote:
Yup, just like on a tv with colors set to max, but without the color bleeding.
I still don't see...

Quote:
In terms of bass reproduction it is. I find while watching movies with headphones, I can hear more sounds clearly. There's a difference that goes both ways.
So you're telling me that headphones are better than a hi-fi system ???
Wow. Your stereo system must be very bad, your're a really strange guy

Quote:
The Final Fantasy games all use a tracked format, but they sound just like cd tracks, especially the PS2 games.
And how do you know they use a tracked format ?
Perhaps you also know the name of the tracker that's used ?

Quote:
Yes, I have, but I'm just unfamiliar with the abbreviation you used.
Well, it is OCSS, like MED was Musical EDitor.

Quote:
Would've been cool though...
This already exists for SNES and is slow enough...

Quote:
That's not likely to happen, because I don't have that much music.
And you don't plan on getting more ?

Quote:
Only five? Hmm, that is fast... Could you post your startup-sequence please?
Lean-and-mean :
Code:
patchrom quiet
setpatch quiet
makedir ram:env ram:env/sys
assign env: ram:env
assign env: sys:prefs/config add
assign envarc: sys:prefs/p
assign envarc: sys:prefs/config add
assign s: sys:prefs/config
assign s: sys:s add
assign l: sys:prefs/config
assign l: sys:l add
assign t: ram:
assign clips: t:
assign keymaps: sys:prefs/p
assign libs: sys:classes add
assign locale: sys:locale
copy >nil: prefs/p/sys/#? env:sys
iprefs
conclip
path ram: sys:utils c:
loadwb
endcli
But startup-sequence isn't the only thing.
FFS gets mounted MUCH FASTER than SFS, hence is good for boot partition, on which files that are used at boot time were copied first.
And WBStartup only contains Multi-CX.

Quote:
Dopus heavy? Wait, you mean Dopus 5+, the Dopus that can be used as a Workbench replacement. I don't use that, I use Dopus 4.16, the open source version: Directory Opus 4 Research Project. This does not replace Workbench, but is a stand alone program.
I don't really need it anyway...

Quote:
3D view can be old-school, just look at Wolfstein 3D, that's as old-school as it can get.
I still don't see what you call old-school (see below).

Quote:
Magical maps or character skills are the best.
IMO magical map spells can be good, too. DM2 (and late versions of CSB) even has both.

Quote:
What? You don't like Diablo 2? Sacrilege
And blasphemy, yes
But for me it's much more arcade than RPG.

Quote:
Make menus appear over the map screen, or even replace it. If this proves to be a pain, it can be changed.
Inventories always appear over the main view, but the problem is to actually call them, especially if you have lots of characters in the team (which I DO want to make possible). Same for magical spells.

Quote:
Pang is an example of an old-school game (and a very good one at that, they just don't make them like that anymore ). A game like Hired Guns is more modern than Pang (hate the inventory screen, though).
Pang and Hired guns aren't the same type of game so the comparison doesn't seem very relevant to me.
Sorry, but I still don't get it.

Or maybe... the game will be classified as old school because you decide it is. This way I understand, of course ;-)

Quote:
I never train much, and I always go solo with Halk. I just gain a few Ninja levels, and gain a few magic class levels (when the first wand and bottles are found). The rest of the game is often played just with that basis. You don't really need to train a lot.
And at CSB you go solo with whom ?

Quote:
Perhaps One thing I like is the Hired Guns splitscreen view, and a full 3D environment. This 3D environment can be implemented like in Hired Guns. The game's internals are based around a basic 3D system, while the graphics are hand drawn/pre-rendered. It's a start
Hired Guns splitscreen view is a pain in the ass when several characters are attacked simultaneously. Believe me, I finished the game.
But its 3D view is more realistic than DM, especially for stairs (monsters can climb them).

Quote:
That's fine, mate.
So, now that you have it, what will you do with it ?

Quote:
Exactly. The layout isn't human made, but what's on top is. Should work for a game.
Yes, but the top level is the most difficult to do in vast amounts.

Quote:
Yes, the game engine is the most important. I think I have some good ideas about that. They have to be worked out a bit, but I can post them later.
I'm waiting.

Quote:
In true big company style
It was not to let bad games to come out, or something like that. A bad excuse, probably ;-)

Quote:
See my posts in that thread for some comments

Hey, now, I have returned, check my comments
Checked. You've gone far this time. And my poor swamp slime didn't stop you

Quote:
Can you show an example of what you like?
No, I can't
However it's not exactly to suit my own tastes but the average visitor's.

Quote:
Cool So, how fast is it?
As an emulator is...

Quote:
You want me to dig this up? Oh boy, that's going to take some serious code reading... It's just like I described, and it doesn't happen often at all. When it does, it's just a little annoying, nothing more. It's the only gripe I have with 68k, and that says it all, I guess.
Yes, I don't see any concrete case where it could have been annoying.
If it were the inability to eor from memory to register, I'd have immediately understood ;-)

Quote:
I think I have something useful, I can post it next time when the code is ready.
Next time is there

Quote:
People are still using Win98 in this day and age, so I don't think it's going to be a problem any time soon.
People still using Win98 actually face lots of problems.

Quote:
But what is meant to last? They haven't been making stuff like they used to for a long time now. And I don't see my peecee dieing any time soon. There's nothing wrong with it.
You're probably not using it a lot anyway.

Quote:
My mom does know what else exists, because she uses computers at her job. The point is that just because things are a little slow, it doesn't mean she doesn't get great usability, and it's because she does get good use from the machine, she's happy with it. As said, she doesn't have a lot of money, and if having a little patience saves her a ton of money, that's fine with her.
People who don't have much knowledge can be satisfied with very few, you know.

Quote:
WinXp handles different screen sizes and allows the user to set a global font size. Works very well. And I'm not trying that horrible program, it sucks badly
Then try to change this global font size, and see how actual applications behave. Try 640x480 and you'll see enormous, unusable windows. It's not what I call "works very well".

Quote:
You can have different sets of base colors. Again, Windows handles different color modes (true color and indexed) with ease. Not a problem.
Windows handles different color modes but it's one of the factors which make it basically SLOW.

Quote:
Hmm, I want to see that. I just don't think it's a very good idea to do everything in asm.
What's the point in making another OS then ? You'd have no more to offer than the others !

Quote:
An idea for a modern looking gui option. The gui can simply use the NewIcons palette and use a NewIcons style color remapping routine. Now the gui can look like those WinAmp skins. With a generic interface this should be implementable.
I need to see it. Can't you make a fake WB screen grab with such a gui on it ? (it's the way I started mine)

Quote:
Ok, but hand coded channel mixing should be a lot faster than Ahi's routines (or so it seems).
DT2's 14-bit routine is much faster than Ahi and provides better quality (not very hard though).

Mixing channels is very easy, but doing it with good quality is something else.

Quote:
That way is the best. Shared components can go in the system directories, and the rest, including prefs, goes into the software's own directory.
Exactly.

Quote:
Well, yes, but seeing how slow it is makes me wonder sometimes.
It's probably not meant to run on a PIII ;-)

Quote:
Yup, I drink and I smoke. Baaaaaaad habits, I know
I'm glad I (more often than not) prefer health over politeness.

Quote:
I know. It's just that the unencoded codecs (bmp,ppm) can be made faster if they do scaling and not just copying. Same for jpeg actually. Say you want to scale to 50%x50% and the jpeg's cbcr component is already half the size of the Y component, then only the Y component needs scaling. After that, the components are combined. Much faster. Now I'm not saying it should be done this way, but it may be something to think about.
It's something I thought, especially for jpegs. But as scaling isn't very useful for my own use, I didn't mobilize many neurons to think more about it.

Quote:
Use two ham rendering loops. They're less than 256 bytes.
It's not worth. The extra speed wouldn't even be noticeable (ham rendering accounts for much more).

Quote:
Oh, you meant code size. I thought you were talking about the work space Staying under 30k should be easy enough. My whole bmp viewer is less than seven kb.
If it's easy, then ok.
Old 17 February 2009, 05:10   #82
Thorham
Computer Nerd

As said, here's the locale system idea I've come up with: Locale.zip.

In it's current state, it's only use is to demonstrate the idea. No locale files are generated, and there is no error checking what so ever. Implementing the rest of the features is not a problem, but I want to know what you think first. The pogram can be run from the cli, however, to show that it works.

By the way, if this seems a little simple, then that is because there seems to be very little reason to make it more complex. If you have any additional ideas, let me know, but I think this idea is probably going to be good enough. I really can't think of anything important to add.

For a full reply to your last post, check later today.

Last edited by Thorham; 17 February 2009 at 05:18.
Old 17 February 2009, 17:33   #83
Thorham
Computer Nerd

In case you missed my previous post, look above this one to find my locale system idea with some code.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Yes, I like it.
Thanks. I wish I could come up with stuff like that all the time.
Quote:
Unfortunately it's not as good as it looks.

First, by not and'ing the values to FC before using them you'll make imprecisions which, though not really affecting overall visual quality, will defeat the fringing reduction method which require exact comparisons.
Yeah, the quality isn't reduced, which is why I thought it was a good idea. After looking at your code again, I think I know why the anti-scroll-fringing breaks. Pity.
Quote:
Second, -(a6) will be one cycle slower than (a6)+, which is the same as (a6), and as a result you'll in fact lose 2 cycles in the general case.
I didn't know that, but it doesn't matter, because the table can be altered by putting the index before the rgb values. Now (a6)+ can be used again.
Quote:
As fixed pixels are not great part of the image, the gain here is not enough to compensate.
Yes, I know, it would've just been cool for the sake of completeness. Because the idea breaks the anti-scroll-fringing, there's no point, however.
Quote:
Sorry for the cold shower.
That's quite alright However, I still think the scrolling belongs in the past, and scaling to fit is more modern
Quote:
I still don't see...
Peecee equipment just isn't as bad as you think.
Quote:
So you're telling me that headphones are better than a hi-fi system ???
Wow. Your stereo system must be very bad, your're a really strange guy.
No, I was assuming high-end headphones can be of a very high quality. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't.
Quote:
And how do you know they use a tracked format ?
Perhaps you also know the name of the tracker that's used ?
The Final Fantasy music is tracked, because of the amount of music versus total music files size. They're not cd tracks. I think they use midi format with custom synth routines.
Quote:
Well, it is OCSS, like MED was Musical Editor.
Never knew that, either.
Quote:
This already exists for SNES and is slow enough...
Yes, but how well has it been written. If you're referring to snes9x, than that probably is as slow as it can get. What emulation do you mean?
Quote:
And you don't plan on getting more ?
I listen to internet radio a lot.
Quote:
Lean-and-mean :
Code:
patchrom quiet
setpatch quiet
makedir ram:env ram:env/sys
assign env: ram:env
assign env: sys:prefs/config add
assign envarc: sys:prefs/p
assign envarc: sys:prefs/config add
assign s: sys:prefs/config
assign s: sys:s add
assign l: sys:prefs/config
assign l: sys:l add
assign t: ram:
assign clips: t:
assign keymaps: sys:prefs/p
assign libs: sys:classes add
assign locale: sys:locale
copy >nil: prefs/p/sys/#? env:sys
iprefs
conclip
path ram: sys:utils c:
loadwb
endcli
Yup, that looks like a fast startup-sequence
Quote:
But startup-sequence isn't the only thing.
FFS gets mounted MUCH FASTER than SFS, hence is good for boot partition, on which files that are used at boot time were copied first.
Hmm, you're right about that. I use SFS to boot. My only FFS partition is a boot partition backup. Perhaps it would be usefull to change it back.
Quote:
And WBStartup only contains Multi-CX.
Mine contains more. I think I'll leave everything as it is, and add boot options for a fast programming boot system. I don't want to strip-down my main boot system, but faster booting after ASM coding related crashes would be great.
Quote:
I don't really need it anyway...
You don't need Dopus? What do you use for file management? Not Workbench I hope...
Quote:
I still don't see what you call old-school (see below).
Now how am I going to explain this...
Quote:
IMO magical map spells can be good, too. DM2 (and late versions of CSB) even has both.
Sounds good to me. As long as it's something that makes sense.
Quote:
And blasphemy, yes.
But for me it's much more arcade than RPG.
Diablo 2 is really an action RPG. The label RPG is probably not even correct in the first place. It's just that the player can develop a character in many different ways. Same goes for games like Jade Empire (awesome).
Quote:
Inventories always appear over the main view, but the problem is to actually call them, especially if you have lots of characters in the team (which I DO want to make possible). Same for magical spells.
Perhaps it's time to make a mock-up of some sort, to get a better idea of how to organize this.
Quote:
Pang and Hired guns aren't the same type of game so the comparison doesn't seem very relevant to me.
Sorry, but I still don't get it.
No, they're not the same game type, but Hired Guns is more modern than Pang. This is a little hard to explain, I guess.
Quote:
Or maybe... the game will be classified as old school because you decide it is. This way I understand, of course ;-)
No, I try to see this a little more objective, or would you call Pang modern?
Quote:
And at CSB you go solo with whom ?
I haven't really palyed CSB a lot yet. Also, CSB might be too hard solo, DM 1 and 2 are much easier.
Quote:
Hired Guns splitscreen view is a pain in the ass when several characters are attacked simultaneously. Believe me, I finished the game.
I believe you You're right, this view has that as a back draw. I still like the idea a lot. If we're going for turn based battles, than this may not be a problem.
Quote:
But its 3D view is more realistic than DM, especially for stairs (monsters can climb them).
Exactly. With that system, the game can be made 3D internally, which would be a welcome change from the usual flat maps.
Quote:
So, now that you have it, what will you do with it ?
Look at the code to see how it works, for starters. Should be interesting
Quote:
Yes, but the top level is the most difficult to do in vast amounts.
Yeah, you got that right. Making the game content is always the hardest. You can have a super engine, but without good content, it's useless.
Quote:
I'm waiting.
Although I do have some ideas, the combination of bulding/adventure/rpg is proving hard. I can't fit the the building in anywhere This may take a while, unless you've figured out how to fit it in.
Quote:
It was not to let bad games to come out, or something like that. A bad excuse, probably ;-)
Probably, eventhough there's plenty of junk available on the GBA.
Quote:
Checked. You've gone far this time. And my poor swamp slime didn't stop you
Far? Hah! It's actually quite easy to get there, because monsters stay away from the corridors that lead there.
Quote:
No, I can't.
However it's not exactly to suit my own tastes but the average visitor's.
Yes, you can Seriously, though, I'm guessing something simple and tidy looking would be best. Can't you show me anything at all?
Quote:
As an emulator is...
What platform is it for?
Quote:
Yes, I don't see any concrete case where it could have been annoying.
If it were the inability to eor from memory to register, I'd have immediately understood ;-)
Ok then, because you want me to. I know just the thing to show you, I'll have it posted in a few days.
Quote:
Next time is there.
Yes, it is. See post above this one for the idea. As you've probably read that by now, what do you think of the idea it self? I know the implementation is not practically usable, but it's not meant to be. If you like the basic idea, tell me what you might want to see added, and I can make a useful implementation out of it.
Quote:
People still using Win98 actually face lots of problems.
You're probably right.
Quote:
You're probably not using it a lot anyway.
I do use my peecee a lot. Only the cpu fan needs replacing. It still works, but it's been getting noisy lately. Need to replace it fast, before it stops working, though. No fan=peecee stays off, no fan+peecee turned on=fried cpu
Quote:
People who don't have much knowledge can be satisfied with very few, you know.
She does know that things can be a lot faster, it's just that she doesn't mind things being a little slow sometimes, that's all.
Quote:
Then try to change this global font size, and see how actual applications behave. Try 640x480 and you'll see enormous, unusable windows. It's not what I call "works very well".
Ok, Windows doesn't implement everything perfectly, that doesn't prove it's impossible to do it on a high level.
Quote:
Windows handles different color modes but it's one of the factors which make it basically SLOW.
I don't think that this is what makes Windows slow. It's probably the whole package, if you ask me. They just didn't care about speed. This is painfully obvious if you look at Windows's history of becoming slower and slower. I don't see how handling different color modes slows everything down that much.
Quote:
What's the point in making another OS then ? You'd have no more to offer than the others !
To prove what is really possible. It would be great to be able to show the public that they've been driving around in Ferraris with steam engines under the bonnet
Quote:
I need to see it. Can't you make a fake WB screen grab with such a gui on it ? (it's the way I started mine)
Yes, I can. That's as easy as grabbing the WinAmp gui I've been talking about. Note that this gui has a compact mode which would be perfect, I'm not talking about those large guis. For that, we have Empy I just hope the newicons palette is suitable. It probably is. I'll post it in a few days.
Quote:
DT2's 14-bit routine is much faster than Ahi and provides better quality (not very hard though).

Mixing channels is very easy, but doing it with good quality is something else.
I can see why. You'd need flexible down sampling routines. With graphics you can get away with using fixed ratios. Usually you'll end up with images that use up most of the screen, but with samples it has to be exact, or it'll sound like crap
Quote:
It's probably not meant to run on a PIII ;-)
They're a bunch of bloat ware making idiots
Quote:
I'm glad I (more often than not) prefer health over politeness.
Well, I do these things because of addiction, not politeness
Quote:
It's something I thought, especially for jpegs. But as scaling isn't very useful for my own use, I didn't mobilize many neurons to think more about it.
Scaling is an essential feature these days, because of the increased image size, don't under estimate it. Also, this may be important for other people who want to use you're viewer.
Quote:
It's not worth. The extra speed wouldn't even be noticeable (ham rendering accounts for much more).
Still, with two render loops, the raw codecs can just send pointers without even bothering with copying, and didn't you mention you want your viewer to work on a plain A1200? The speed boost caused by not copying (chipmem to chipmem!) anything would be significant then, while the code's size would increase very little. Think about it.
Quote:
If it's easy, then ok.
It should be. The scaling loops use less than the entire cache, so they're really small. Some of the loops are much smaller than the cache in fact. Keeping the code under 30kb shouldn't be a problem. It might be different for pixel perfect down scaling, but I haven't even tried to write that yet, would be much slower anyway, so it might not even be useful.

Last edited by Thorham; 17 February 2009 at 17:46.
Old 18 February 2009, 01:14   #84
Thorham
Computer Nerd

As said in my previous post, here is the WinAmp on Workbench mockup. The gui is in compact mode in this image: WorkbenchWinAmpMockup.zip. No resizing was needed!

The Workbench (my WinUae Workbench) uses a 64 color screen with the NewIcons 4 palette, and the result is much better than I expected, it looks almost identical to WinAmp running in 24bit color mode. I've edited the gui a little to get rid of useless buttons, which makes it a little smaller.

If you want to see more, I'll try making a mockup of the full gui to see how it turns out.
Old 19 February 2009, 20:08   #85
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
In case you missed my previous post, look above this one to find my locale system idea with some code.
I didn't miss it :-)
See below for the answer.

Quote:
Thanks. I wish I could come up with stuff like that all the time.
I wish this too ;-)

Quote:
Yeah, the quality isn't reduced, which is why I thought it was a good idea. After looking at your code again, I think I know why the anti-scroll-fringing breaks. Pity.
Never mind. It was a good try anyway.

Quote:
I didn't know that, but it doesn't matter, because the table can be altered by putting the index before the rgb values. Now (a6)+ can be used again.
I am unsure of this, (an)+ and -(an) tend to behave strangely. It probably has to be checked, however what is a win for 030 may be a loss for 040/060.
Who knows...

Quote:
Yes, I know, it would've just been cool for the sake of completeness. Because the idea breaks the anti-scroll-fringing, there's no point, however.
There's no point, but you can come back with another idea any time, of course.

Quote:
That's quite alright However, I still think the scrolling belongs in the past, and scaling to fit is more modern
I guess both should be present...

Quote:
Peecee equipment just isn't as bad as you think.
Probably. But it's not as good as you think either ;-)

Quote:
No, I was assuming high-end headphones can be of a very high quality. I don't see a reason why they shouldn't.
Of course they can be of high quality, but they won't value a good hi-fi system, that's what I meant.

Quote:
The Final Fantasy music is tracked, because of the amount of music versus total music files size. They're not cd tracks. I think they use midi format with custom synth routines.
Amount of music vs the files size doesn't prove anything. They could have some good sound compression method.
If there are no vocals (lyrics), you can't say what it is.

What are those files sizes anyway ? For which durations ?

Quote:
Never knew that, either.
I know a few others, but I won't burden you with that

Quote:
Yes, but how well has it been written. If you're referring to snes9x, than that probably is as slow as it can get. What emulation do you mean?
I meant snes9x, okay.

Quote:
I listen to internet radio a lot.
That's a good reason.

Quote:
Yup, that looks like a fast startup-sequence
Yep.

Quote:
Hmm, you're right about that. I use SFS to boot. My only FFS partition is a boot partition backup. Perhaps it would be usefull to change it back.
Yeah, sometimes FFS is faster than SFS. May sound strange, but is true.

Quote:
Mine contains more. I think I'll leave everything as it is, and add boot options for a fast programming boot system. I don't want to strip-down my main boot system, but faster booting after ASM coding related crashes would be great.
My own startup has such a multi-boot feature, I only gave you the "fast" part of it (I'm not really using the others anyway).

Quote:
You don't need Dopus? What do you use for file management? Not Workbench I hope...
Well, if it's just running apps and moving things, WB is enough. For more sophisticated operations I use the cli a lot, though.
Then again, I don't have huge file management needs.

Quote:
Now how am I going to explain this...
I dunno...

Quote:
Sounds good to me. As long as it's something that makes sense.
Well, for an example of what I like in this area, you can check the automap in the game Evil's doom (there is a demo on Aminet if you can't find the game itself). Here it's a spell.

Quote:
Diablo 2 is really an action RPG. The label RPG is probably not even correct in the first place. It's just that the player can develop a character in many different ways. Same goes for games like Jade Empire (awesome).
Anyway that's not the game type I like. I would prefer a game which allows, say, 20 adventurers to fight against 100 monsters in a turn-by-turn way

Quote:
Perhaps it's time to make a mock-up of some sort, to get a better idea of how to organize this.
Good start, if only I had ideas...

Quote:
No, they're not the same game type, but Hired Guns is more modern than Pang. This is a little hard to explain, I guess.
Because of its 3D nature ? Because it's more recent ? Because of its high-res menu ?

Quote:
No, I try to see this a little more objective, or would you call Pang modern?
No, but I wouldn't call Hired guns modern either.

Quote:
I haven't really palyed CSB a lot yet. Also, CSB might be too hard solo, DM 1 and 2 are much easier.
What I can say is that CSB characters can become dramatically powerful if you reincarnate them and train up to master levels. My old team averaged 800 healh, 999 stamina and 300 mana

Frankly I prefer CSB's dungeon over DM1. Much less linear, and still very logical.

But none of the three games were ever designed to be played solo !

Quote:
I believe you You're right, this view has that as a back draw. I still like the idea a lot. If we're going for turn based battles, than this may not be a problem.
It's no longer a problem if not realtime, of course, but I'm not sure it's still useful. A "switching" view may be better, because you can have any number of characters you want (just switch from one to another).

Btw, something I don't like in HG is that you can't resurrect/replace the fallen characters and they don't seem to progress at all. Not to mention you can't fix damaged objects.

Quote:
Exactly. With that system, the game can be made 3D internally, which would be a welcome change from the usual flat maps.
Not very compatible with the 2D view you told about earlier, but I like the idea.

Quote:
Look at the code to see how it works, for starters. Should be interesting
Hmm, maybe, but it ain't a tutorial

Quote:
Yeah, you got that right. Making the game content is always the hardest. You can have a super engine, but without good content, it's useless.
For me the content's needs must make the engine's specs. This is how I added a few things to old DM1. I do them when I need them. Often when I badly need them.

Quote:
Although I do have some ideas, the combination of bulding/adventure/rpg is proving hard. I can't fit the the building in anywhere This may take a while, unless you've figured out how to fit it in.
Instead of just saving people as in the usual heroes' life, why not also helping in rebuilding their destroyed houses ?

If you have lots of travels to make from a dungeon to a city and vice-versa, why not letting part of your group build a road while the others explore ?

Why not allowing them to build a laboratory to research for new magical weapons/spells ? (would give a tech tree)

Also, the game could allow the characters to build up their own cultivations for food.

Just a few ideas of mine...

Quote:
Probably, eventhough there's plenty of junk available on the GBA.
Well, if the GBA SDK is available for free, that explains...

Quote:
Far? Hah! It's actually quite easy to get there, because monsters stay away from the corridors that lead there.
Well, what I meant by far was probably "further than others".
Skan has gone relatively far, however (see the other thread). Now you have to beat this ;-)

And, yes, monsters stay away of these corridors. This is by design. But wasn't that single monster you met (and which gave you the first key) quite long to defeat ?

Quote:
Yes, you can
Seriously, though, I'm guessing something simple and tidy looking would be best. Can't you show me anything at all?
You seem to have more ideas than I have, so perhaps it's yours to show me something

Quote:
What platform is it for?
So far it has run on my Miggy, but also on a friends's Linux peecee. It was made to be portable (it's one of the few non-asm - that is, C++ - progs I did).

Quote:
Ok then, because you want me to. I know just the thing to show you, I'll have it posted in a few days.
Ah, good.

Quote:
Yes, it is. See post above this one for the idea. As you've probably read that by now, what do you think of the idea it self? I know the implementation is not practically usable, but it's not meant to be. If you like the basic idea, tell me what you might want to see added, and I can make a useful implementation out of it.
Your locale_example.s seems broken in some way (binary data before text). I dunno with what you edited that.

Anyway I could have a look at it. The idea looked quite standard to me.

If you want to add new features, here are a few :
- default built-in strings, in case no locale file is found
- string format with parameter order (not all tongues have the same word ordering, e.g. french usually places adjectives after the noun where english places them before, also german tends to place verbs at the end)
- locale date and time format
- number format (decimal point vs comma)

Quote:
I do use my peecee a lot. Only the cpu fan needs replacing. It still works, but it's been getting noisy lately. Need to replace it fast, before it stops working, though. No fan=peecee stays off, no fan+peecee turned on=fried cpu
You can just fry your cpu, maybe it will taste good once cooked

Quote:
She does know that things can be a lot faster, it's just that she doesn't mind things being a little slow sometimes, that's all.
If she's like my mom, habits are more important than speed.

Quote:
Ok, Windows doesn't implement everything perfectly, that doesn't prove it's impossible to do it on a high level.
Yes, but at least it proves it's not as easy as it might look.

Quote:
I don't think that this is what makes Windows slow. It's probably the whole package, if you ask me. They just didn't care about speed. This is painfully obvious if you look at Windows's history of becoming slower and slower. I don't see how handling different color modes slows everything down that much.
I said it was one of the factors, of course the whole package is responsible.
But you want to know why color handling does slow things down ? Because of the constant color remapping operations the GDI has to do. Color remap isn't a fast operation, you know.

Quote:
To prove what is really possible. It would be great to be able to show the public that they've been driving around in Ferraris with steam engines under the bonnet
Ferraris with steam engines
Man, I love your comparison.

But I can only encourage you to make your OS. This way you will understand why the steam engine is still there.

Quote:
Yes, I can. That's as easy as grabbing the WinAmp gui I've been talking about. Note that this gui has a compact mode which would be perfect, I'm not talking about those large guis. For that, we have Empy I just hope the newicons palette is suitable. It probably is. I'll post it in a few days.
Ok. See below for answer.

Quote:
I can see why. You'd need flexible down sampling routines. With graphics you can get away with using fixed ratios. Usually you'll end up with images that use up most of the screen, but with samples it has to be exact, or it'll sound like crap
Flexible down sampling routines aren't enough, you will also need to upsample.
But resampling to any ratio is very easy.
However, these operations introduce noise. Filtering this isn't easy, and if you do, you may well add some crappy effects (such as treble removal).

I've read that any time you resample a sound, you have to high-pass filter it, but I don't know how to do that.

Quote:
They're a bunch of bloat ware making idiots
No, they're the best programmers there are. Simply making the bloody thing to work at all on such a stupid architecture was really a feat !

Quote:
Well, I do these things because of addiction, not politeness
Yes, but you didn't say no at first place !

Quote:
Scaling is an essential feature these days, because of the increased image size, don't under estimate it. Also, this may be important for other people who want to use you're viewer.
You're right, but originally it was only planned for my own usage.

Quote:
Still, with two render loops, the raw codecs can just send pointers without even bothering with copying, and didn't you mention you want your viewer to work on a plain A1200? The speed boost caused by not copying (chipmem to chipmem!) anything would be significant then, while the code's size would increase very little. Think about it.
I already send pointers back without copying whereever possible.
Working on a plain A1200 is an important feature, albeit not a high-priority one.

Remember that decoding directly to chipmem (when you have fastmem) will be slower than copying data back, because bytes are decoded, not longs.

Quote:
It should be. The scaling loops use less than the entire cache, so they're really small. Some of the loops are much smaller than the cache in fact. Keeping the code under 30kb shouldn't be a problem. It might be different for pixel perfect down scaling, but I haven't even tried to write that yet, would be much slower anyway, so it might not even be useful.
Then... Just do it.

Quote:
As said in my previous post, here is the WinAmp on Workbench mockup. The gui is in compact mode in this image: Attachment 20320. No resizing was needed!

The Workbench (my WinUae Workbench) uses a 64 color screen with the NewIcons 4 palette, and the result is much better than I expected, it looks almost identical to WinAmp running in 24bit color mode. I've edited the gui a little to get rid of useless buttons, which makes it a little smaller.

If you want to see more, I'll try making a mockup of the full gui to see how it turns out.
This is a 64 color screen (more than the average workbench, especially mine which is really ugly ) and is 640x480 (704x544 to be precise), not the usual 640x256.

You may try a mockup of the whole GUI, but keep this screen format in mind.

Btw I've never used Brilliance (yes, I know you used it ), I prefer PPaint.
Old 23 February 2009, 16:20   #86
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
I wish this too ;-)
Only so much is possible, I'm afraid.
Quote:
Never mind. It was a good try anyway.
Thanks.
Quote:
.I am unsure of this, (an)+ and -(an) tend to behave strangely. It probably has to be checked, however what is a win for 030 may be a loss for 040/060.
Who knows...
You can always have different versions for each cpu, only makes then archive larger. As for strange behavior, I've noticed that some instruction can be pipelined during chipmem writes. Seems odd, and I may have looked at it wrong, but this also needs testing.
Quote:
There's no point, but you can come back with another idea any time, of course.
Hmm, that is going to be very hard.
Quote:
I guess both should be present...
Indeed. Amiga software needs modern features!
Quote:
Probably. But it's not as good as you think either ;-)
I don't think it's the best, I just don't think all of it is crap, that's all.
Quote:
Of course they can be of high quality, but they won't value a good hi-fi system, that's what I meant.
You mean loudspeakers (I assume). Well, it was only a guess
Quote:
Amount of music vs the files size doesn't prove anything. They could have some good sound compression method.
If there are no vocals (lyrics), you can't say what it is.

What are those files sizes anyway ? For which durations ?
Final Fantasy 9: 24,5 MB for about one to two minutes per song (counting unique data, they're looped). There's 108 songs, averaging at 232 kb per song.
Final Fantasy 10: 42.9 MB for about one to two minutes per song (counting unique data, also looped). There's 93 songs, averaging about at about 472 kb per song.

The playing time per song is a guess, but it's accurate enough, I hope. As you can see, the amount of audio is more than what's possible with just compression, it has to be tracked.
Quote:
I meant snes9x, okay.
This emulator is very slow. Zsnes, which is not available for the Amiga, is much faster. Actually, snes9x is slow on my peecee! It may be possible to do fast audio chip emulation anyway, especially if there aren't a whole range of exotic features to emulate.
Quote:
That's a good reason.
Yes, it is. There are some cool house stations I listen to a lot. It's great
Quote:
Yeah, sometimes FFS is faster than SFS. May sound strange, but is true.
Bah, how annoying I don't really want to use FFS anymore
Quote:
My own startup has such a multi-boot feature, I only gave you the "fast" part of it (I'm not really using the others anyway).
Ah, only showing the fastest case, are we.
Quote:
Well, if it's just running apps and moving things, WB is enough. For more sophisticated operations I use the cli a lot, though.
Then again, I don't have huge file management needs.
You use WB and Cli? This can not in any way be compared to the awesome power that is Diro 4.16 How can you stand it? WB drives me nuts, it's so primitive!
Quote:
Well, for an example of what I like in this area, you can check the automap in the game Evil's doom (there is a demo on Aminet if you can't find the game itself). Here it's a spell.
Anything that makes sense is fine with me
Quote:
Anyway that's not the game type I like. I would prefer a game which allows, say, 20 adventurers to fight against 100 monsters in a turn-by-turn way.
Sounds cool. But how to do this in a DM style view? Seems to me like the Fire Emblem view is much more suitable for this. In fact, Fire Emblem is quite similar to this concept. Same for Shining Force, if you want to check it out for your self.
Quote:
Good start, if only I had ideas...
Ok, I've started with the mock-up. I already have some old gfx I made years ago, they should be a good base. I'll post them later, because it can take some time to do this right (you can't just slap things together and expect it to work).
Quote:
Because of its 3D nature ? Because it's more recent ? Because of its high-res menu ?
Because the concept is more modern than Pang, which is true old-school.
Quote:
No, but I wouldn't call Hired guns modern either.
It's a lot more modern than Pang.
Quote:
What I can say is that CSB characters can become dramatically powerful if you reincarnate them and train up to master levels. My old team averaged 800 healh, 999 stamina and 300 mana.
Hmm, that's a powerful party you have there.
Quote:
Frankly I prefer CSB's dungeon over DM1. Much less linear, and still very logical.
Sounds interesting, I need to give this game a go.
Quote:
But none of the three games were ever designed to be played solo !
I can't speak for CSB, but DM1 and DM2 are clearly fully playable with one character. The games are designed to be played with any number of chars you want, not just four, but also three, two or one. In fact, my DM2 no skill challenge is probably something the designers took in account as well, because of way too convenient item placing in one case, and the reflector shield which is essential (I may be wrong on that one, though). Sorry meynaf, but I can not agree, DM1 and DM2 are designed to be playable as the player sees fit.
Quote:
It's no longer a problem if not realtime, of course, but I'm not sure it's still useful. A "switching" view may be better, because you can have any number of characters you want (just switch from one to another).
Ok, it's just that a split screen view can be optional, and allows the player to keep an eye on multiple chars/locations at the same time.
Quote:
Btw, something I don't like in HG is that you can't resurrect/replace the fallen characters and they don't seem to progress at all. Not to mention you can't fix damaged objects.
Resurecting is something I don't miss. In DM I never use it when playing with more than one character. The lack of progress is a bit of a downer, I agree, and not being able to fix damaged items is, well, part of the game, I guess. I mean, how do you repair a highly advanced electronics based weapon? On the other hand, not being able to fix machine guns, etc, does suck, and should be possible.

But there's more. Food restores hit points, while only med packs and medics should be able to do this (only applies to organic chars ). And of course the inventory system is totally bogus
Quote:
Not very compatible with the 2D view you told about earlier, but I like the idea.
It is if you use layers.
Quote:
Hmm, maybe, but it ain't a tutorial.

I've noticed that your gui doesn't handle different WB font sizes very well. Thought you might wanted to know.
Quote:
For me the content's needs must make the engine's specs. This is how I added a few things to old DM1. I do them when I need them. Often when I badly need them.
It's a way. It's also possible to do it the other way around, though. Come up with a fun game system, and design the game around it. I don't see any problems with that approach.
Quote:
Instead of just saving people as in the usual heroes' life, why not also helping in rebuilding their destroyed houses ?

If you have lots of travels to make from a dungeon to a city and vice-versa, why not letting part of your group build a road while the others explore ?

Why not allowing them to build a laboratory to research for new magical weapons/spells ? (would give a tech tree)
Could be interesting. However, how do adventurers build roads and buildings? It's still not that easy to fit this concept into such a game seamlessly.
Quote:
Also, the game could allow the characters to build up their own cultivations for food.
Adventurers aren't farmers, I don't think that's a good idea. As an adventurer I'd much rather just hunt for food, much easier.
Quote:
Well, if the GBA SDK is available for free, that explains...
There's always a ton of crap and very few gems available for those systems.
Quote:
Well, what I meant by far was probably "further than others".
Skan has gone relatively far, however (see the other thread). Now you have to beat this ;-)
Yes, I do, don't I.
Quote:
And, yes, monsters stay away of these corridors. This is by design. But wasn't that single monster you met (and which gave you the first key) quite long to defeat ?
It didn't take that long with just two chars. It's doable.
Quote:
You seem to have more ideas than I have, so perhaps it's yours to show me something.
Do I? I didn't know that! I've never made a website in my entire life!
Quote:
So far it has run on my Miggy, but also on a friends's Linux peecee. It was made to be portable (it's one of the few non-asm - that is, C++ - progs I did).
Sounds cool, perhaps I'll try it out for my self.
Quote:
Ah, good.
Ok, here's the code. It's the crude working version of my decompressed png decoder. Now you can see for yourself.
Code:
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Decode_Png_24	;Decodes a decompressed 24bit png image.
;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
	movem.l	d0-a6,-(sp)

move.l	#3,_pixelwidth
	move.l	#512,height_c2p

move.l	_bmpbuffer,a0
	move.l	_picture,a1

move.l	png_height,d1
	subq.l	#1,d1

move.l	_picture,temp
	move.l	_bmpbuffer,temp2

move.l	png_width,d0
	mulu.w	#3,d0
	addq.l	#1,d0
	move.l	d0,a6
.loop_y
	move.l	temp,a1
	move.l	a6,d0
	add.l	d0,temp
	move.l	temp2,a0
	add.l	#1280,temp2

move.b	(a1)+,d2

cmp.b	#3,d2
	bgt	.case4
	beq	.case3
	cmp.b	#1,d2
	bgt	.case2
	beq	.case1
.case0
	move.l	png_width,d3
	lsr.l	#2,d3
	subq.l	#1,d3
.case0_loop
	move.l	(a1)+,(a0)+
	move.l	(a1)+,(a0)+
	move.l	(a1)+,(a0)+

dbra	d3,.case0_loop
	dbra	d1,.loop_y
	bra	.end
.case1
	move.l	png_width,d3
	subq.l	#2,d3

moveq	#0,d4
	moveq	#0,d5
	moveq	#0,d6

.case1_loop
	add.b	(a1)+,d4
	move.b	d4,(a0)+

add.b	(a1)+,d5
	move.b	d5,(a0)+

add.b	(a1)+,d6
	move.b	d6,(a0)+

dbra	d3,.case1_loop
	dbra	d1,.loop_y
	bra	.end
.case2
	move.l	png_width,d3
	subq.l	#2,d3

move.l	a0,a2
	sub.l	#1280,a2
.case2_loop
	move.b	(a2)+,d4
	add.b	(a1)+,d4
	move.b	d4,(a0)+

move.b	(a2)+,d4
	add.b	(a1)+,d4
	move.b	d4,(a0)+

move.b	(a2)+,d4
	add.b	(a1)+,d4
	move.b	d4,(a0)+

dbra	d3,.case2_loop
	dbra	d1,.loop_y
	bra	.end
.case3
	move.l	png_width,d3
	subq.l	#2,d3

move.l	a0,a2
	sub.l	#1280,a2

moveq	#0,d2
	moveq	#0,d4
	moveq	#0,d5
	moveq	#0,d6
.case3_loop
	move.b	(a2)+,d2
	add.w	d2,d4
	lsr.w	#1,d4
	add.b	(a1)+,d4
	move.b	d4,(a0)+

move.b	(a2)+,d2
	add.w	d2,d5
	lsr.w	#1,d5
	add.b	(a1)+,d5
	move.b	d5,(a0)+

move.b	(a2)+,d2
	add.w	d2,d6
	lsr.w	#1,d6
	add.b	(a1)+,d6
	move.b	d6,(a0)+

dbra	d3,.case3_loop
	dbra	d1,.loop_y
	bra	.end
.case4
	move.l	d1,-(sp)

moveq	#2,d7

move.l	a0,a4
	move.l	a1,a5

.case4_loop2
	move.l	a4,a0
	move.l	a5,a1
	move.l	a4,a3

addq.l	#1,a4
	addq.l	#1,a5

move.l	png_width,d3
	subq.l	#2,d3

sub.l	#1280+3,a3

moveq	#0,d2
	moveq	#0,d4

move.b	(a3),d2
	addq.l	#3,a3

.case4_loop
	move.l	d2,d0
	move.b	(a3),d2

.case4_peath
	move.l	d4,d1
	add.l	d2,d1
	sub.l	d0,d1

move.l	d1,d5
	sub.l	d4,d5
	bge	.case4_peath1
	neg.l	d5

.case4_peath1
	move.l	d1,d6
	sub.l	d2,d6
	bge	.case4_peath2
	neg.l	d6

.case4_peath2
	sub.l	d0,d1
	bge	.case4_peath3
	neg.l	d1

.case4_peath3
	cmp.l	d6,d5
	bgt	.case4_peath4
	cmp.l	d1,d5
	bgt	.case4_peath4

add.b	(a1),d4
	bra	.case4_peati

.case4_peath4
	move.b	(a1),d4

cmp.l	d1,d6
	bgt	.case4_peath5

add.b	d2,d4
	bra	.case4_peati

.case4_peath5
	add.b	d0,d4

.case4_peati
	move.b	d4,(a0)

addq.l	#3,a0
	addq.l	#3,a1
	addq.l	#3,a3

dbra	d3,.case4_loop
	dbra	d7,.case4_loop2

move.l	(sp)+,d1
	dbra	d1,.loop_y
	bra	.end
.end
	movem.l	(sp)+,d0-a6
	rts
Although I didn't have to post the whole loop for the example, I just thought it was cool
Quote:
Your locale_example.s seems broken in some way (binary data before text). I dunno with what you edited that.
It's not broken, it's an AsmOne source with book marks saved at the start of the text file. I don't know why they didn't simply use hex numbers on line one instead of this binary format, but hey, what can I do!
Quote:
Anyway I could have a look at it. The idea looked quite standard to me.
Yes, it is, but why make it over elaborate?
Quote:
If you want to add new features, here are a few :
- default built-in strings, in case no locale file is found
- string format with parameter order (not all tongues have the same word ordering, e.g. french usually places adjectives after the noun where english places them before, also german tends to place verbs at the end)
- locale date and time format
- number format (decimal point vs comma)
Sounds good. Yes, I think I can handle that.
Quote:
You can just fry your cpu, maybe it will taste good once cooked.
Crunchy silicon, tastes good
Quote:
If she's like my mom, habits are more important than speed.
No, she's just not impatient, and it saves her some money, that's why she's happy with the computer.
Quote:
Yes, but at least it proves it's not as easy as it might look.
Windows only proves that it's easy to screw things up, nothing more
Quote:
I said it was one of the factors, of course the whole package is responsible.
But you want to know why color handling does slow things down ? Because of the constant color remapping operations the GDI has to do. Color remap isn't a fast operation, you know.
Color remapping isn't needed all the time, and has to be done only once for each color mode. The fact that the GDI handles this in a slow way, means nothing. Look at NewIcons on the Amiga. This remaps icons on the fly to suit the color mode, and it does so in a fast way.
Quote:
Ferraris with steam engines.
Man, I love your comparison.
So did I, but as it turns out, in 1906 there was a steam powered car that went around 200 kph, not very slow if you ask me
Quote:
But I can only encourage you to make your OS. This way you will understand why the steam engine is still there.
I still don't see why high level portable code has to be slow with a good compiler/language.
Quote:
Flexible down sampling routines aren't enough, you will also need to upsample.
But resampling to any ratio is very easy.
However, these operations introduce noise. Filtering this isn't easy, and if you do, you may well add some crappy effects (such as treble removal).

I've read that any time you resample a sound, you have to high-pass filter it, but I don't know how to do that.
Sounds difficult to do in high quality and keep it fast... Not a job I would like to try myself.
Quote:
No, they're the best programmers there are. Simply making the bloody thing to work at all on such a stupid architecture was really a feat !
They still screwed it up if it's as slow as you say it, especially on fast peecees.
Quote:
Yes, but you didn't say no at first place !
No, I didn't, but it wasn't politeness, it was curiousness, and hey, beer just tastes good.
Quote:
You're right, but originally it was only planned for my own usage.
That's actually what I thought. Would've been a shame if you kept it to yourself of course.
Quote:
I already send pointers back without copying whereever possible.
Working on a plain A1200 is an important feature, albeit not a high-priority one.
Ok, but do you agree that having two ham render loops is useful for a plain A1200, especially since the code doesn't become much bigger?
Quote:
Remember that decoding directly to chipmem (when you have fastmem) will be slower than copying data back, because bytes are decoded, not longs.
I meant for a plain A1200, where you have to decode from chip to chip.
Quote:
Then... Just do it.
Ok, I already have a bunch of plain scaling loops that now need to be integrated into your viewer.
Quote:
This is a 64 color screen (more than the average workbench, especially mine which is really ugly) and is 640x480 (704x544 to be precise), not the usual 640x256.
I think you'll find that highres interlace with 64+ colors is much more common than you think.
Quote:
You may try a mockup of the whole GUI, but keep this screen format in mind.
I'm not going to try to get the gui to look good in four colors, that just isn't possible. As for non-lace resolutions, this may be possible, and I'll give it a shot, but I can't promise anything.
Quote:
Btw I've never used Brilliance (yes, I know you used it ), I prefer Ppaint.
Brilliance 2 is the king. It's very fast, has unlimited undo (unlike Dpaint) and allowes editing of 24 bit images with a ham8 preview. In my opinion, Brilliance is superior

Last edited by Thorham; 23 February 2009 at 16:33.
Old 26 February 2009, 14:08   #87
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
You can always have different versions for each cpu, only makes then archive larger. As for strange behavior, I've noticed that some instruction can be pipelined during chipmem writes. Seems odd, and I may have looked at it wrong, but this also needs testing.
Of course I can make different versions for different cpus, but I wouldn't be able to do the 040/060 versions because I have no such cpu on which to test - not to mention I don't have enough knowledge about them.

About chipmem pipelining : you can fit more than 20 cycles (on 50 Mhz 030) of instructions after one single write. Any instruction type will do, provided they don't access memory.

Quote:
Indeed. Amiga software needs modern features!
But we probably won't agree on what "modern" means :-D

Quote:
I don't think it's the best, I just don't think all of it is crap, that's all.
The Empire probably isn't all crap, but I prefer to be a rebel anyway

Quote:
You mean loudspeakers (I assume). Well, it was only a guess
Yeah, big loudspeakers.

Quote:
Final Fantasy 9: 24,5 MB for about one to two minutes per song (counting unique data, they're looped). There's 108 songs, averaging at 232 kb per song.
Final Fantasy 10: 42.9 MB for about one to two minutes per song (counting unique data, also looped). There's 93 songs, averaging about at about 472 kb per song.

The playing time per song is a guess, but it's accurate enough, I hope. As you can see, the amount of audio is more than what's possible with just compression, it has to be tracked.
That's around 16kbps. Still possible. I guess it's better to have a look at that data to settle things up (maybe there is some ID string in it).

Quote:
This emulator is very slow. Zsnes, which is not available for the Amiga, is much faster. Actually, snes9x is slow on my peecee! It may be possible to do fast audio chip emulation anyway, especially if there aren't a whole range of exotic features to emulate.
I don't know enough about that to tell more.

Quote:
Yes, it is. There are some cool house stations I listen to a lot. It's great
So you don't need an MP3 player finally :-)

Quote:
Bah, how annoying I don't really want to use FFS anymore
What's wrong with FFS ?

Quote:
Ah, only showing the fastest case, are we.
Sure.

Quote:
You use WB and Cli? This can not in any way be compared to the awesome power that is Diro 4.16 How can you stand it? WB drives me nuts, it's so primitive!
I'm old school, you know
But what can your Diro4.16 do, that WB/Cli can't ?

Quote:
Anything that makes sense is fine with me
Ok.

Quote:
Sounds cool. But how to do this in a DM style view? Seems to me like the Fire Emblem view is much more suitable for this. In fact, Fire Emblem is quite similar to this concept. Same for Shining Force, if you want to check it out for your self.
Such big battles can't be made with a DM style view, of course, it has to be 2D tile view.

Quote:
Ok, I've started with the mock-up. I already have some old gfx I made years ago, they should be a good base. I'll post them later, because it can take some time to do this right (you can't just slap things together and expect it to work).
I'm eager/curious to see something that actually works...

Quote:
Because the concept is more modern than Pang, which is true old-school.
Pang is the only game of its type, where there are many other 3D dungeon games. So what's old-school, again ?

Quote:
It's a lot more modern than Pang.
Same as above. I won't understand unless you can define what you mean by "modern" vs "old-school".

Quote:
Hmm, that's a powerful party you have there.
Yep

Quote:
Sounds interesting, I need to give this game a go.
A good idea. It's more "modern" than DM1

Quote:
I can't speak for CSB, but DM1 and DM2 are clearly fully playable with one character. The games are designed to be played with any number of chars you want, not just four, but also three, two or one. In fact, my DM2 no skill challenge is probably something the designers took in account as well, because of way too convenient item placing in one case, and the reflector shield which is essential (I may be wrong on that one, though). Sorry meynaf, but I can not agree, DM1 and DM2 are designed to be playable as the player sees fit.
They made it possible but they discourage it, as DM2 manual says :
"Although it is possible to venture out with fewer than four, most of the hostile creatures will appear in large numbers, so having a full group will help weigh the odds of survival in your favour."

So this is just an option, not the main way of playing.

Quote:
Ok, it's just that a split screen view can be optional, and allows the player to keep an eye on multiple chars/locations at the same time.
Optional, yes. But not essential.

Quote:
Resurecting is something I don't miss. In DM I never use it when playing with more than one character. The lack of progress is a bit of a downer, I agree, and not being able to fix damaged items is, well, part of the game, I guess. I mean, how do you repair a highly advanced electronics based weapon? On the other hand, not being able to fix machine guns, etc, does suck, and should be possible.
There are lots of curious things in HG. So why not something like a "repair inventory psionic-amp" object ?

Quote:
But there's more. Food restores hit points, while only med packs and medics should be able to do this (only applies to organic chars ). And of course the inventory system is totally bogus
Food would have been useless if it didn't heal, that's why.
Of course the inventory system is bogus, but it's a side-effect of the split screen : not enough room !

Quote:
It is if you use layers.
You mean layers such as in UFO ?
This is perhaps not good for huge lands, as it multiplies the surface.

Quote:
I've noticed that your gui doesn't handle different WB font sizes very well. Thought you might wanted to know.
Not really. It is : it doesn't handle different WB font sizes AT ALL.
I didn't pretend it worked well anyway

Quote:
It's a way. It's also possible to do it the other way around, though. Come up with a fun game system, and design the game around it. I don't see any problems with that approach.
Problem can be : oops I forgot something important in the game system.

Quote:
Could be interesting. However, how do adventurers build roads and buildings? It's still not that easy to fit this concept into such a game seamlessly.
Where's the problem ? Select your adventurers, then order them to build something, with a menu. They'll be like units of a strategy game.

Quote:
Adventurers aren't farmers, I don't think that's a good idea. As an adventurer I'd much rather just hunt for food, much easier.
They can do both.

Quote:
There's always a ton of crap and very few gems available for those systems.
Probably.

Quote:
Yes, I do, don't I.
So now ?

Quote:
It didn't take that long with just two chars. It's doable.
Ok. No problem with him then.

Quote:
Do I? I didn't know that! I've never made a website in my entire life!
So you'll understand that I can't show you anything either...

Quote:
Sounds cool, perhaps I'll try it out for my self.
Perhaps. But, you know, it's not very impressive despite the lot of work on it.

Quote:
Ok, here's the code. It's the crude working version of my decompressed png decoder. Now you can see for yourself.

(...)

Although I didn't have to post the whole loop for the example, I just thought it was cool
I'm sorry, but... where is that mem-to-mem add needed ? I don't see !

Quote:
It's not broken, it's an AsmOne source with book marks saved at the start of the text file. I don't know why they didn't simply use hex numbers on line one instead of this binary format, but hey, what can I do!
I'm not using AsmOne so that was just a bad text to me

Quote:
Yes, it is, but why make it over elaborate?
Must be simple and efficient, that's all.

Quote:
Sounds good. Yes, I think I can handle that.
Ok. That's all I can think of.

Quote:
Crunchy silicon, tastes good

Quote:
No, she's just not impatient, and it saves her some money, that's why she's happy with the computer.
So that's just a matter of cost, ok.

Quote:
Windows only proves that it's easy to screw things up, nothing more
It still surprises me it works at all...

Quote:
Color remapping isn't needed all the time, and has to be done only once for each color mode. The fact that the GDI handles this in a slow way, means nothing. Look at NewIcons on the Amiga. This remaps icons on the fly to suit the color mode, and it does so in a fast way.
Those icons are small things, you know.

Quote:
So did I, but as it turns out, in 1906 there was a steam powered car that went around 200 kph, not very slow if you ask me
So be happy with peecees. They're not very slow steam engines

Quote:
I still don't see why high level portable code has to be slow with a good compiler/language.
Because there is NO good compiler/language (personal opinion).

Quote:
Sounds difficult to do in high quality and keep it fast... Not a job I would like to try myself.
Still in the todo list for me...

Quote:
They still screwed it up if it's as slow as you say it, especially on fast peecees.
I think it's more a matter of architecture than anything else (of both machine and language).

Quote:
No, I didn't, but it wasn't politeness, it was curiousness, and hey, beer just tastes good.
Nope. I don't agree, beer doesn't taste good
It's bitter, and looks like piss (and ends up being it very quickly !).

Quote:
That's actually what I thought. Would've been a shame if you kept it to yourself of course.
Sure.

Quote:
Ok, but do you agree that having two ham render loops is useful for a plain A1200, especially since the code doesn't become much bigger?
Not really. Data copying's time will be neglectable as compared with HAM rendering.
Moreover, I don't like duplicating code ;-)

Quote:
I meant for a plain A1200, where you have to decode from chip to chip.
But who's still using a plain A1200 anyway ? Is one second gain out of 20 (optimistic guess), specific for that config, really useful ?
And that, for a particular format which it not widely used ?

Quote:
Ok, I already have a bunch of plain scaling loops that now need to be integrated into your viewer.
See the "output" function call. All is there.

Quote:
I think you'll find that highres interlace with 64+ colors is much more common than you think.
Not on PAL monitors !

Quote:
I'm not going to try to get the gui to look good in four colors, that just isn't possible. As for non-lace resolutions, this may be possible, and I'll give it a shot, but I can't promise anything.
My basic GUI should look good in four colors, and that's all I need for now.

Quote:
Brilliance 2 is the king. It's very fast, has unlimited undo (unlike Dpaint) and allowes editing of 24 bit images with a ham8 preview. In my opinion, Brilliance is superior
I didn't test v2, but old Brillance didn't seem good to me.
Old 02 March 2009, 23:43   #88
Thorham
Computer Nerd

First things first, the game menu mockups and scaling loops.

I've made two mockups for the menu system, they take quite a while to make, so I'll post some more later, and I want your input, of course. One is for the stats, the other for the equip screen. Don't worry if some of the stats don't make sense, or don't fit the game, this can all be changed. Furthermore, the sizes of the menus should not be fixed in the game. Here they are: Mockups.zip

As for the scaling loops, I told you I had a bunch, but those are all 24 bit:

2x2 to 1x1
3x3 to 2x2
3x3 to 1x1
4x4 to 3x3
4x4 to 1x1

Because they are of no use for 16bit, 15bit and indexed, I have to make all of those separately. I'm currently finishing all of the indexed loops, but it has taken quite a while. You see, I had to do 8bit, 4bit, 2bit and one bit (7bit, 6bit, 5bit and 3bit should be possible with one of the other indexed loops). Thats a total of 20 loops, plus 16bit and 15 makes for another 10 loops, and you can see that this will take a while, so hold your horses, it's getting done.

Quote:
Of course I can make different versions for different cpus, but I wouldn't be able to do the 040/060 versions because I have no such cpu on which to test - not to mention I don't have enough knowledge about them.
Oh well, at least code that's fast will be fast on faster cpus, too.
Quote:
About chipmem pipelining : you can fit more than 20 cycles (on 50 Mhz 030) of instructions after one single write. Any instruction type will do, provided they don't access memory.
Ok, but I've noticed strange behaviors when using different instructions, where some seem to pipeline perfectly, while others don't, really odd. Maybe I need to check this again.
Quote:
But we probably won't agree on what "modern" means :-D
Yes, we will: Pong is old-school, 'latest peecee title' is new-school (modern).
Quote:
The Empire probably isn't all crap, but I prefer to be a rebel anyway.
I rather get the good stuff from both sides
Quote:
Yeah, big loudspeakers.
I have old KEF speakers, man, that bass is deeeeeeeep.
Quote:
That's around 16kbps. Still possible. I guess it's better to have a look at that data to settle things up (maybe there is some ID string in it).
You know, for the Playstation 2 Final Fantasies you might be right, but all the data seems to be gibberish which means it's probably compressed, so I can't tell.

For the Playstation 1 Final Fantasies it's most definitely tracked, and I guess they do sound just a tad simpler, not much, though.
Quote:
I don't know enough about that to tell more.
Me neither. But I can tell you that Zsnes works at a constant 50 fps on my old peecee, with vsync on, everything is super smooth, except for the glitches caused by the os (which can't really be helped, not even under AmigaOs). This program probably has all of the important routines written in hand optimized assembler, and is a good example of peecee software that performs very well.
Quote:
So you don't need an MP3 player finally :-)
Not really. It's just a pitty that I've got to have my peecee on to use net radio, d'oh Guess I need to buy a stand-alone internet radio...
Quote:
What's wrong with FFS ?
Apart from partition size limits, validating. This single thing is the reason I've always used small partitions, because waiting for two gig to be validated just sucks. With SFS there is no validating, so there's no waiting. Now I know it doesn't happen often, but when it does it just sucks.
Quote:
I'm old school, you know.
But what can your Diro4.16 do, that WB/Cli can't ?
Hey, I'm from the old-schoold, too (or I wouldn't still be coding in 68k). Diro is easier to use than WB/CLI. There really is no comparing Diro to those two. If I were you, I'd just install it and try it for yourself. It's doesn't need things in startup-sequence/user-startup/wb-startup, so it won't slow down anything, and it doesn't replace Workbench, so you can easily see for yourself.

Also, because of the large number of files you've got which still need sorting out, Diro will be much better than WB/CLI. Try it now
Quote:
Such big battles can't be made with a DM style view, of course, it has to be 2D tile view.
Good we agree on this, because I hugely prefer this.
Quote:
I'm eager/curious to see something that actually works...
You've seen the pics I've made, so tell me what you think. I can make more of them, but as said, it takes time.
Quote:
Pang is the only game of its type, where there are many other 3D dungeon games. So what's old-school, again ?
See above.
Quote:
Same as above. I won't understand unless you can define what you mean by "modern" vs "old-school".
Yes, see above, again

Sorry for that, but I just had to
Quote:
A good idea. It's more "modern" than DM1.
No comment...
Quote:
They made it possible but they discourage it, as DM2 manual says :
"Although it is possible to venture out with fewer than four, most of the hostile creatures will appear in large numbers, so having a full group will help weigh the odds of survival in your favour."
Apparently, but what they're writing is really for beginners. Most of DM2 is quite easy with just one character, and the same goes for DM1.

Truth of the matter is that they may have designed it that way, but the implementation doesn't in any way need all chars or even two, one is enough, because your single char will become quite strong, stronger than the individual chars in a party.

So it may not have been intended, but the implementation tells a different story.
Quote:
So this is just an option, not the main way of playing.
Perhaps an intended option?
Quote:
Optional, yes. But not essential.
Maybe we could just drop the DM view, and go 2D instead? Just asking
Quote:
There are lots of curious things in HG. So why not something like a "repair inventory psionic-amp" object ?
Good one. Let's try to avoid weirdness in our game idea. It's still a cool game
Quote:
Food would have been useless if it didn't heal, that's why.
Of course the inventory system is bogus, but it's a side-effect of the split screen : not enough room !
HG inventory system could've much better if they'd designed it better. One thing is the large item graphics, this isn't needed. Small gfx that only use up 16x16 pixels are much better, and give you much more room to play with. They really didn't think this through.
Quote:
You mean layers such as in UFO ?
This is perhaps not good for huge lands, as it multiplies the surface.
Not necessarily. Multiple layers only have to be used when they make sense. Take the real world, where you're walking on some grass land. There is only one layer, unless you dig another layer or grow wings But seriously, this can be solved.
Quote:
Not really. It is : it doesn't handle different WB font sizes AT ALL.
I didn't pretend it worked well anyway.
It's still cool, and it's short. Should have potential.
Quote:
Problem can be : oops I forgot something important in the game system.
Just implement it later, which sucks, though... Yup, things do need to be planned well, or it will become a mess.
Quote:
Where's the problem ? Select your adventurers, then order them to build something, with a menu. They'll be like units of a strategy game.
Quote:
They can do both.
Farming warriors and wizards? How about us coders start a farm and see how we do? Or let's build a road... Not that easy to get right, and takes a lot of practice. It's just like a blacksmith, who's certainly strong enough to wear armor and use a sword, rushing off into battle. The end result is going to be a dead blacksmith, because he's got no fighting experience.

My idea:

Have adventurer compatible professions, like warriors, wizards, thieves, etc make up the adventuring party, while there are non-adventurer professions like smiths, farmers, builders, etc who handle building and other settlement related business.

At any point in the game where you want to stay in one place for a while, you can bring in those non-adventuring characters to construct a settlement with farms, etc. Over time this settlement can grow into a city. Such settlements can also have armies of adventure compatible characters (soldiers, knights, archers), and can be used in large scale territorial battles.

Your party can be used to explore and fight in dungeons, etc.

How does that sound?
Quote:
Probably.
Yes, but the gems are truly shiny.
Quote:
So now ?
Fix the party setup problem, and you have a winner!
Quote:
Ok. No problem with him then.
As said, the only problem is with party recruitment.
Quote:
So you'll understand that I can't show you anything either...
You might be able to show a website whith a layout you like?
Quote:
Perhaps. But, you know, it's not very impressive despite the lot of work on it.
Yeah, it's just a 68k emu, isn't it. Why did you write it?
Quote:
I'm sorry, but... where is that mem-to-mem add needed ? I don't see !
Erm, well, gee, sorry for that I posted the wrong code, I'll look it up again.
Quote:
I'm not using AsmOne so that was just a bad text to me.
You're not to blame anyway, because they should've used a more sensible format.
Quote:
Must be simple and efficient, that's all.
Quote:
Ok. That's all I can think of.
Ok, but I'm finishing those scaling loops first.
Quote:
So that's just a matter of cost, ok.
Partially. The fact is that in exchange for a little patience, her computer does everything she wants, and she can do it at home, instead of at work. And besides, Ubuntu 8 isn't that slow on her machine.
Quote:
It still surprises me it works at all...

Quote:
Those icons are small things, you know.
I still don't see how everything in a gui needs to be remapped all the time.
Quote:
So be happy with peecees. They're not very slow steam engines.
Still, 200 kph in 1906 with a steam car... Not bad!
Quote:
Because there is NO good compiler/language (personal opinion).
Perhaps this is because none have been written
Quote:
Still in the todo list for me...
No kidding.
Quote:
I think it's more a matter of architecture than anything else (of both machine and language).
The architecture is irrelevant with todays speeds and even with my old 550mhz P3. It's always the implementation that's at fault.
Quote:
Nope. I don't agree, beer doesn't taste good.
It's bitter, and looks like piss (and ends up being it very quickly !).
Nonononono, beer is the heavenly brew of the gods
Quote:
Not really. Data copying's time will be neglectable as compared with HAM rendering.
Moreover, I don't like duplicating code ;-)
Hey, no problem, it's your code
Quote:
But who's still using a plain A1200 anyway ? Is one second gain out of 20 (optimistic guess), specific for that config, really useful ?
And that, for a particular format which it not widely used ?
Understood
Quote:
See the "output" function call. All is there.
Oki doki.
Quote:
Not on PAL monitors !
Oh noes, I'll have to scale...
Quote:
My basic GUI should look good in four colors, and that's all I need for now.
Of course, but a flashy one can use more colors, like Empy, and be optional.
Quote:
I didn't test v2, but old Brillance didn't seem good to me.
What does it lack what you need?

Last edited by Thorham; 02 March 2009 at 23:57.
Old 05 March 2009, 13:10   #89
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
First things first, the game menu mockups and scaling loops.

I've made two mockups for the menu system, they take quite a while to make, so I'll post some more later, and I want your input, of course. One is for the stats, the other for the equip screen. Don't worry if some of the stats don't make sense, or don't fit the game, this can all be changed. Furthermore, the sizes of the menus should not be fixed in the game. Here they are: Attachment 20540
Things here look like if they come from an existing game ;-)

Graphically it's more than good enough for my taste. Only thing I can say is that the inventory should display many more objects (full backpack inventory).

Quote:
As for the scaling loops, I told you I had a bunch, but those are all 24 bit:

2x2 to 1x1
3x3 to 2x2
3x3 to 1x1
4x4 to 3x3
4x4 to 1x1

Because they are of no use for 16bit, 15bit and indexed, I have to make all of those separately. I'm currently finishing all of the indexed loops, but it has taken quite a while. You see, I had to do 8bit, 4bit, 2bit and one bit (7bit, 6bit, 5bit and 3bit should be possible with one of the other indexed loops). Thats a total of 20 loops, plus 16bit and 15 makes for another 10 loops, and you can see that this will take a while, so hold your horses, it's getting done.
15/16 bit are useless in my viewer, so don't bother with them.
Also, I'm not sure ratios such as 3 to 2 are useful, in my opinion only 8x8 -> 1x1, 4x4 -> 1x1, 2x2 -> 1x1 are needed (unsure for 8x8).
For 1 to 8 bits you'll have to do a p2c (probably).

Quote:
Oh well, at least code that's fast will be fast on faster cpus, too.
Not always !

Quote:
Ok, but I've noticed strange behaviors when using different instructions, where some seem to pipeline perfectly, while others don't, really odd. Maybe I need to check this again.
Chipmem timings are quite irregular, if not chaotic ;-)
But I have no example of instruction which doesn't pipeline correctly...

Quote:
Yes, we will: Pong is old-school, 'latest peecee title' is new-school (modern).
No, we won't : Pong was very modern by the time it came, but 'latest peecee title' is just another FPS so it adds nothing new.

Quote:
I rather get the good stuff from both sides
So both sides will see you as a relapsed heretic and will want to execute you

Quote:
I have old KEF speakers, man, that bass is deeeeeeeep.
Oh, why did the ceiling fall ?

Quote:
You know, for the Playstation 2 Final Fantasies you might be right, but all the data seems to be gibberish which means it's probably compressed, so I can't tell.

For the Playstation 1 Final Fantasies it's most definitely tracked, and I guess they do sound just a tad simpler, not much, though.
But how do this tad simpler, tracked sound, look like ?

Quote:
Me neither. But I can tell you that Zsnes works at a constant 50 fps on my old peecee, with vsync on, everything is super smooth, except for the glitches caused by the os (which can't really be helped, not even under AmigaOs).

This program probably has all of the important routines written in hand optimized assembler, and is a good example of peecee software that performs very well.
Performs very well, apart the glitches... And AmigaOs does NOT cause glitches.

Quote:
Not really. It's just a pitty that I've got to have my peecee on to use net radio, d'oh Guess I need to buy a stand-alone internet radio...
Or a 060.

Quote:
Apart from partition size limits, validating. This single thing is the reason I've always used small partitions, because waiting for two gig to be validated just sucks. With SFS there is no validating, so there's no waiting. Now I know it doesn't happen often, but when it does it just sucks.
Frankly validating never annoyed me a lot.

Quote:
Hey, I'm from the old-schoold, too (or I wouldn't still be coding in 68k). Diro is easier to use than WB/CLI. There really is no comparing Diro to those two. If I were you, I'd just install it and try it for yourself. It's doesn't need things in startup-sequence/user-startup/wb-startup, so it won't slow down anything, and it doesn't replace Workbench, so you can easily see for yourself.

Also, because of the large number of files you've got which still need sorting out, Diro will be much better than WB/CLI. Try it now
I tested DOpus5 back in 1999 and it didn't convince me.

Quote:
You've seen the pics I've made, so tell me what you think. I can make more of them, but as said, it takes time.
Stats are probably the easy part. A mockup of the 2D view (with full interface to call menus) would be good.

Quote:
See above.
Yes, see above, again

Sorry for that, but I just had to
I didn't see much, or you define "modern" as "recent".

Quote:
Apparently, but what they're writing is really for beginners. Most of DM2 is quite easy with just one character, and the same goes for DM1.

Truth of the matter is that they may have designed it that way, but the implementation doesn't in any way need all chars or even two, one is enough, because your single char will become quite strong, stronger than the individual chars in a party.

So it may not have been intended, but the implementation tells a different story.
Even though it's right the one-man will be stronger than individuals in a party, he's really no match against a full team. Especially at dm1, where you have to wait AGES after a spell such as a fireball before you can use your
hand weapon again.
Besides, the relative feebleness can be compensated with training, and the exponential nature of the levels (you need twice the experience for each next level) will make your one-man's advantage too small to be really useful.

As for dm2, you'll never beat the boss with only one character. Period.

You may say I didn't test the one-character trial. But, man, I do this all the time, and with a very dangerous dungeon : mine !

Quote:
Perhaps an intended option?
Finish CSB and beat DM2's boss, then we'll see.

Quote:
Maybe we could just drop the DM view, and go 2D instead? Just asking
If you can use a 2D view for dungeons and still have good puzzles, there'll be no reason to keep the DM view.

Quote:
Good one. Let's try to avoid weirdness in our game idea.
Avoid weirdness ? Well, perhaps...

Quote:
HG inventory system could've much better if they'd designed it better. One thing is the large item graphics, this isn't needed. Small gfx that only use up 16x16 pixels are much better, and give you much more room to play with. They really didn't think this through.
Problem is that even 16x16 would still have been too much for that small space.

Quote:
Not necessarily. Multiple layers only have to be used when they make sense. Take the real world, where you're walking on some grass land. There is only one layer, unless you dig another layer or grow wings But seriously, this can be solved.
So you mean "local" extra layers ? Not easy to handle...
Where would they be used ?

Quote:
It's still cool, and it's short. Should have potential.
Yes, if only I could have correct gfx for those icons...

Quote:
Just implement it later, which sucks, though... Yup, things do need to be planned well, or it will become a mess.
That's right.

Quote:
Farming warriors and wizards? How about us coders start a farm and see how we do? Or let's build a road... Not that easy to get right, and takes a lot of practice. It's just like a blacksmith, who's certainly strong enough to wear armor and use a sword, rushing off into battle. The end result is going to be a dead blacksmith, because he's got no fighting experience.

My idea:

Have adventurer compatible professions, like warriors, wizards, thieves, etc make up the adventuring party, while there are non-adventurer professions like smiths, farmers, builders, etc who handle building and other settlement related business.

At any point in the game where you want to stay in one place for a while, you can bring in those non-adventuring characters to construct a settlement with farms, etc. Over time this settlement can grow into a city. Such settlements can also have armies of adventure compatible characters (soldiers, knights, archers), and can be used in large scale territorial battles.

Your party can be used to explore and fight in dungeons, etc.

How does that sound?
If we have enough characters, some of them will fight while others provide them with food and weapons. Sounds good.

Now you can't say you can't make the building stuff to fit in the game :-)

Quote:
Yes, but the gems are truly shiny.
Beware of shiny gems, as they're often cursed

Quote:
Fix the party setup problem, and you have a winner!
As said, the only problem is with party recruitment.
As your fave team always seems to be the one-man, I find this remark pretty pointless coming from you...

Anyway I think I won't "fix" this. It's really part of the challenge, and adds a never-seen part of strategy. It's not a problem, not at all.
Or do you want me to provide you with a saved game of your chosen party, just to prove it's not that hard to do ?

Some ppl did not like csb because it's not linear like dm. Bah ! You won't like my dungeon because the hall of champions isn't safe. I can live with it

Quote:
You might be able to show a website whith a layout you like?
Not really. And you ?

Quote:
Yeah, it's just a 68k emu, isn't it. Why did you write it?
No, it's not really a 68k emu. It's a design based on 68k ideas.

Quote:
Erm, well, gee, sorry for that I posted the wrong code, I'll look it up again.

Quote:
You're not to blame anyway, because they should've used a more sensible format.
Even if they did, asmone would still be completely useless to me...

Quote:
Ok, but I'm finishing those scaling loops first.
I'm not asking anything

Quote:
Partially. The fact is that in exchange for a little patience, her computer does everything she wants, and she can do it at home, instead of at work. And besides, Ubuntu 8 isn't that slow on her machine.
I can't imaging her installing new software, though...

Quote:
I still don't see how everything in a gui needs to be remapped all the time.
I didn't tell that. But remapping a small icon isn't the same as remapping a whole gui.

Quote:
Still, 200 kph in 1906 with a steam car... Not bad!
Not bad. Perhaps not really comfortable ?

Quote:
Perhaps this is because none have been written
Certainly.

Quote:
The architecture is irrelevant with todays speeds and even with my old 550mhz P3. It's always the implementation that's at fault.
Hah ! Do a better one before saying that !

Quote:
Nonononono, beer is the heavenly brew of the gods
Now I understand why the gods made such a stupid world !

Quote:
Hey, no problem, it's your code
Always have been

Quote:
Oh noes, I'll have to scale...
Yes Sir

Quote:
Of course, but a flashy one can use more colors, like Empy, and be optional.
I think it's not time for the options yet.

Quote:
What does it lack what you need?
Simplicity maybe ?
Perhaps you can try Personal Paint to see what I mean.
Old 12 March 2009, 21:34   #90
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Things here look like if they come from an existing game ;-)
Hehe, I was hoping you'd say that Anyway, some things come from existing games. The portrait comes from Fire Emblem, the large font used for the character name and equipment and the larger number font used in the stat screen come from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and the equipment icons are redone versions of the shop icons in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (and actually look better than the originals). The other font and the layout is done by myself completely.
Quote:
Graphically it's more than good enough for my taste. Only thing I can say is that the inventory should display many more objects (full backpack inventory).
Quote:
Stats are probably the easy part. A mockup of the 2D view (with full interface to call menus) would be good.
Look here: Mockups.zip

Ok, only two pics (this didn't take long to do, of course), the map and map with the new equipment screen (renamed to Items). The idea is to have the stats pop-up when you right-click on a unit. The menu as a whole can simply be toggled on and off by pressing the space bar. Shifting through the characters is done with the cursor keys. Right-clicking over an item pops-up a description with specs.

This leaves little to add (which I didn't do as you can see). All that's needed is a cursor for both mouse and keyboard control and small pop-ups for simple stat view and terrain description. Thats it. I didn't really have a lot of time, so I'll do this tonight, I just wanted to post a full reply

The 'map' is actually what I would like the battle view to be like. As for the graphics I've used, they're from, guess what, Fire Emblem. I just downloaded a suitable map, and pasted a bunch of units on top of it. Pity they're copyrighted...

Edited 13 March: Here is more of the interace as said: Map-interface-final.zip

Note that the colors are not very optimal, this is because I've used my Amiga with composite video output. This is not ideal for this sort of work, and I may have to resort to using the peecee in the future.
Quote:
15/16 bit are useless in my viewer, so don't bother with them.
Also, I'm not sure ratios such as 3 to 2 are useful, in my opinion only 8x8 -> 1x1, 4x4 -> 1x1, 2x2 -> 1x1 are needed (unsure for 8x8).
Good, because I haven't done 15/16 bit yet. As for ratios such as 3x3 to 2x2, these are useful to get the image to use as much screen-space as possible if the AxA to 1x1 ratios are too much. Also, they're already done anyway Just having 8x8, 4x4, 2x2 isn't enough to get good results with a wide selection of picture sizes. As for 8x8, I can do that.
Quote:
For 1 to 8 bits you'll have to do a p2c (probably).
For most of them, yes. For one and two bits, probably not. Anyway, apart from 8x8, this is the last thing that needs to be done, and eight bit has been taken care of. It's a pity I can't use that code for all the other bit depths as is, oh well
Quote:
Not always !
Like when?
Quote:
Chipmem timings are quite irregular, if not chaotic ;-)
But I have no example of instruction which doesn't pipeline correctly...
I've seen it happen. But it might just be those irregularities.
Quote:
No, we won't : Pong was very modern by the time it came, but 'latest peecee title' is just another FPS so it adds nothing new.
Ok, but tactical shooters have added playing options that go beyond the simple doom and quake style of shooters.
Quote:
So both sides will see you as a relapsed heretic and will want to execute you
Oh yeah? Well, let'm come
Quote:
Oh, why did the ceiling fall ?
Indeed
Quote:
But how do this tad simpler, tracked sound, look like ?
They also look compressed. But they are tracked. Not all Playstation and Playstation 2 games use cd style audio tracks, it's a reasonably well known fact. If they didn't exist, the WinAmp player wouldn't need to do a full audio chip and cpu emulation to play the music.
Quote:
Performs very well, apart the glitches...
Yes, the glitches are just frame update irregularities caused by WinXp preempting Zsnes. This is not the emulators fault, and all software that runs under WinXp is affected by this, and it can't be helped.
Quote:
And AmigaOs does NOT cause glitches.
Yes, it can cause update irregularities. If a game running under AmigaOs get's preempted at the wrong time then you'll get those irregularities, and it can't be helped in this case, either. Probably all preemptive multitasking os' cause this.
Quote:
Or a 060.
The radio is handier
Quote:
Frankly validating never annoyed me a lot.
It will when FFS wants to validate two gigabyte.
Quote:
I tested DOpus5 back in 1999 and it didn't convince me.
Then try 4.16 and configure the thing properly. Of course, tastes differ
Quote:
I didn't see much, or you define "modern" as "recent".
Ok, I give up
Quote:
Even though it's right the one-man will be stronger than individuals in a party, he's really no match against a full team. Especially at dm1, where you have to wait AGES after a spell such as a fireball before you can use your hand weapon again.
True, but DM1 is still highly playable solo, and I have completed it with one character.
Quote:
Besides, the relative feebleness can be compensated with training, and the exponential nature of the levels (you need twice the experience for each next level) will make your one-man's advantage too small to be really useful.
Right, but I don't like training too much.
Quote:
As for dm2, you'll never beat the boss with only one character. Period.
Have you tried? Unless the boss regenerates his health faster than you can damage him, you can defeat him in theory. Don't say this until you've tried it. Also, there's a DM forum where several people have reported playing DM2 with one character. In my opinion it is possible.
Quote:
You may say I didn't test the one-character trial. But, man, I do this all the time, and with a very dangerous dungeon : mine !
I thought you didn't like soloing?
Quote:
Finish CSB and beat DM2's boss, then we'll see.
It is, or the game would force you to select four characters.
Quote:
If you can use a 2D view for dungeons and still have good puzzles, there'll be no reason to keep the DM view.
Yes, of course there can be good puzzles. Those top down view graphics are probably a lot easier to do than DM style graphics anyway. Perhaps I can make something, but I'm not a graphics artist as you know, and I really don't want the graphics to look like crap, so it's going to be hard. Perhaps when we have a working game engine someone from the board who's skilled can help us?
Quote:
Avoid weirdness ? Well, perhaps...
Weirdness includes things like pink elephants, etc. It's a good idea to leave stuff like that out of the game.
Quote:
Problem is that even 16x16 would still have been too much for that small space.
At least scrolling through small rows of 16x16 icons is better than how it works now.
Quote:
So you mean "local" extra layers ? Not easy to handle...
How so? A tile simply has an up and/or a down link which leads to another area. Doesn't sound so difficult to me, or am I forgetting something?
Quote:
Where would they be used ?
Primarily in dungeons and buildings.
Quote:
Yes, if only I could have correct gfx for those icons...
You should focus on getting the interface to handle different font sizes first.
Quote:
If we have enough characters, some of them will fight while others provide them with food and weapons. Sounds good.
We could have dozens of characters, and multiple permanent settlements that grow into cities over time. Could add a lot of game play.
Quote:
Now you can't say you can't make the building stuff to fit in the game :-)
That actually was a bit easier than I thought at first.
Quote:
Beware of shiny gems, as they're often cursed

Quote:
As your fave team always seems to be the one-man, I find this remark pretty pointless coming from you...
I'm not trying your dungeon solo again until I've completed it with a full party, it's too hard
Quote:
Anyway I think I won't "fix" this. It's really part of the challenge, and adds a never-seen part of strategy. It's not a problem, not at all.
Ouch, meynaf, that hurts. This is going to take a looooong time to get right...
Quote:
Or do you want me to provide you with a saved game of your chosen party, just to prove it's not that hard to do ?
Hey, I believe you, it's just that I can't seem to get the hang of it very well, that's all.
Quote:
Some ppl did not like csb because it's not linear like dm. Bah ! You won't like my dungeon because the hall of champions isn't safe. I can live with it.
The hall of champions should still be safe in my opinion
Quote:
Not really. And you ?
Well, there are some., I guess. Want me to post pics?
Quote:
No, it's not really a 68k emu. It's a design based on 68k ideas.
Right, that's what you said
Quote:
lol smilie here
Gonna post it next time, but there is very little to see, really.
Quote:
Even if they did, asmone would still be completely useless to me...
Why? For me nothing beats it. I just can't live without having an editor, debugger, command line and hex view in one program. Especially the hex view is un-missable.
Quote:
I'm not asking anything.
As the scaling is complete, and the p2c is getting done, I should be able to start on it next week.
Quote:
I can't imaging her installing new software, though...
Most software is as simple to install as selecting the program of your choice in the package manager and telling it to install it. Done. But you're right, she doesn't know how to do it.
Quote:
I didn't tell that. But remapping a small icon isn't the same as remapping a whole gui.
Actually, guis don't have to remapped. In WinXp the original gui looks perfect in just 16 colors, and it's the same for all the higher bit depths. The same colors are used over and over. A freshly developed gui doesn't need any remapping except for icons.
Quote:
Not bad. Perhaps not really comfortable ?
Probably not
Quote:
Certainly.
This has to change...
Quote:
Hah ! Do a better one before saying that !
Explain, plz
Quote:
Now I understand why the gods made such a stupid world !
Yup, stupid it is.
Quote:
Yes Sir
Oh, well, I didn't want to do that, but I'll do it anyway then...
Quote:
Simplicity maybe ?
Perhaps you can try Personal Paint to see what I mean.
I have, and the same goes for Dpaint. I dislike both programs. Brilliance is faster, and the gui bar at the bottom of the screen is more comfortable to use to me. Also, Brilliance allows editing of 24bit images, and uses ham8 for preview. Great program in my opinion.

Last edited by Thorham; 13 March 2009 at 17:07.
Old 16 March 2009, 10:34   #91
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Hehe, I was hoping you'd say that Anyway, some things come from existing games. The portrait comes from Fire Emblem, the large font used for the character name and equipment and the larger number font used in the stat screen come from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, and the equipment icons are redone versions of the shop icons in Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (and actually look better than the originals). The other font and the layout is done by myself completely.
Ripped gfx is certainly better than no gfx at all.

Quote:
Look here: Attachment 20656

Ok, only two pics (this didn't take long to do, of course), the map and map with the new equipment screen (renamed to Items). The idea is to have the stats pop-up when you right-click on a unit. The menu as a whole can simply be toggled on and off by pressing the space bar. Shifting through the characters is done with the cursor keys. Right-clicking over an item pops-up a description with specs.

This leaves little to add (which I didn't do as you can see). All that's needed is a cursor for both mouse and keyboard control and small pop-ups for simple stat view and terrain description. Thats it. I didn't really have a lot of time, so I'll do this tonight, I just wanted to post a full reply

The 'map' is actually what I would like the battle view to be like. As for the graphics I've used, they're from, guess what, Fire Emblem. I just downloaded a suitable map, and pasted a bunch of units on top of it. Pity they're copyrighted...

Edited 13 March: Here is more of the interace as said: Attachment 20672

Note that the colors are not very optimal, this is because I've used my Amiga with composite video output. This is not ideal for this sort of work, and I may have to resort to using the peecee in the future.
Looks good for a start. But those units are soldiers, not adventurers. How to handle them ?

Quote:
Good, because I haven't done 15/16 bit yet. As for ratios such as 3x3 to 2x2, these are useful to get the image to use as much screen-space as possible if the AxA to 1x1 ratios are too much. Also, they're already done anyway Just having 8x8, 4x4, 2x2 isn't enough to get good results with a wide selection of picture sizes. As for 8x8, I can do that.
If you want to use as much screen-space as possible, then it'd be better to write a generic rescale algorithm !

Quote:
For most of them, yes. For one and two bits, probably not. Anyway, apart from 8x8, this is the last thing that needs to be done, and eight bit has been taken care of. It's a pity I can't use that code for all the other bit depths as is, oh well
Theoretically if you do bitplanes in a loop, one code can handle any depth (and this is one of the few advantages of bitplanes !).

Quote:
Like when?
Like when a program is mysteriously faster on 030 than on 060.

Quote:
I've seen it happen. But it might just be those irregularities.
Pipeline in fastmem and you will have no trouble.

Quote:
Ok, but tactical shooters have added playing options that go beyond the simple doom and quake style of shooters.
Like what ?

Quote:
Oh yeah? Well, let'm come
It isn't time yet. But you lose nothing for waiting

Quote:
They also look compressed. But they are tracked. Not all Playstation and Playstation 2 games use cd style audio tracks, it's a reasonably well known fact. If they didn't exist, the WinAmp player wouldn't need to do a full audio chip and cpu emulation to play the music.
WinAmp does chip emulation because it has no knowledge of the format inside.
If it's tracked, then there HAS to be some editor for it, and it's probably not running on the PS itself but on a PC. A full audio emulation isn't necessary in that case either.

Quote:
Yes, the glitches are just frame update irregularities caused by WinXp preempting Zsnes. This is not the emulators fault, and all software that runs under WinXp is affected by this, and it can't be helped.
This is why you can not make a clean program on such a platform : whatever you do, something will go wrong. Display tearing is something I really do NOT like.

Quote:
Yes, it can cause update irregularities. If a game running under AmigaOs get's preempted at the wrong time then you'll get those irregularities, and it can't be helped in this case, either. Probably all preemptive multitasking os' cause this.
It's not the OS : for the game to get preempted, some other program must be asking for cpu in the background.
If no other task needs cpu, you will not get those irregularities (unlike on win$ and even linux).

Quote:
The radio is handier
Prob'ly, but 060 is fast enough for streaming audio.

Quote:
It will when FFS wants to validate two gigabyte.
Unlikely, as my FFS partitions are 1 gigabyte only ;-)

Quote:
Then try 4.16 and configure the thing properly. Of course, tastes differ
I'm probably just too lazy to configure the bloody thing...

Quote:
True, but DM1 is still highly playable solo, and I have completed it with one character.
This is because it's just too easy ;-)

Quote:
Right, but I don't like training too much.
That's the main problem of this leveling system...

Quote:
Have you tried? Unless the boss regenerates his health faster than you can damage him, you can defeat him in theory. Don't say this until you've tried it. Also, there's a DM forum where several people have reported playing DM2 with one character. In my opinion it is possible.
I haven't tried, and I don't want to. But please do it.
The boss won't probably regenerate faster than your damages to him, but so will you and because of his minion spamming you'll die a lot quicker than him.
It may be possible, but this is theory. Here you see that the game was not planned to be completed solo, even though most of it is easy enough.

Quote:
I thought you didn't like soloing?
Right. But that's just quick-testing a dungeon area.

Quote:
It is, or the game would force you to select four characters.
I wish it did

Quote:
Yes, of course there can be good puzzles. Those top down view graphics are probably a lot easier to do than DM style graphics anyway. Perhaps I can make something, but I'm not a graphics artist as you know, and I really don't want the graphics to look like crap, so it's going to be hard. Perhaps when we have a working game engine someone from the board who's skilled can help us?
You need not be a graphics artist to make place holders, which are what we need for now, to validate the game concept. Ripped gfx is good for that, too.

Quote:
Weirdness includes things like pink elephants, etc. It's a good idea to leave stuff like that out of the game.
Ok for weirdness, but a few magic won't hurt...

Quote:
At least scrolling through small rows of 16x16 icons is better than how it works now.
Probably.

Quote:
How so? A tile simply has an up and/or a down link which leads to another area. Doesn't sound so difficult to me, or am I forgetting something?
Quote:
Primarily in dungeons and buildings.
So this is like DM levels in fact ?

Quote:
You should focus on getting the interface to handle different font sizes first.
I simply have no idea on how to do that...

Quote:
We could have dozens of characters, and multiple permanent settlements that grow into cities over time. Could add a lot of game play.
Unless those characters are immortal, population of settlements won't have enough time to grow significantly - or the simulation is really poor.

Quote:
That actually was a bit easier than I thought at first.
New ideas will come with time, I guess. But there is a problem we'll need to face one day or another : it is the game's rules, that is, characteristics and experience. How will this work ? I don't want to make a game where the characters have a global level, as this is meaningless in real life !

Quote:
I'm not trying your dungeon solo again until I've completed it with a full party, it's too hard
Now that's a very good idea !
But you probably won't complete it (I think).

Quote:
Ouch, meynaf, that hurts. This is going to take a looooong time to get right...
Yep. It's made for that.

Quote:
Hey, I believe you, it's just that I can't seem to get the hang of it very well, that's all.
Perhaps you simply need to play CSB before.

Quote:
The hall of champions should still be safe in my opinion
That would be betraying the dungeon's spirit. Of course you won't see that until you've played up to an advanced point, so please do it.

Quote:
Well, there are some., I guess. Want me to post pics?
Yeah, you can.

Quote:
Gonna post it next time, but there is very little to see, really.
I just want to see why a mem-mem add would have been useful, that's all.

Quote:
Why? For me nothing beats it. I just can't live without having an editor, debugger, command line and hex view in one program. Especially the hex view is un-missable.
Nothing beats it, eh ? But phxass produces better code and supports more complex constructions (try to assemble V with asmone and you'll see what I mean).

Quote:
As the scaling is complete, and the p2c is getting done, I should be able to start on it next week.
Ok, ok.

Quote:
Actually, guis don't have to remapped. In WinXp the original gui looks perfect in just 16 colors, and it's the same for all the higher bit depths. The same colors are used over and over. A freshly developed gui doesn't need any remapping except for icons.
Grab WinXp original gui and count the colors : actually there are many more than 16 !

Quote:
This has to change...
I don't even dare to hope.

Quote:
Explain, plz
You say that the implementation is at fault, but I won't believe you until you make a better one.

Quote:
Oh, well, I didn't want to do that, but I'll do it anyway then...

Quote:
I have, and the same goes for Dpaint. I dislike both programs. Brilliance is faster, and the gui bar at the bottom of the screen is more comfortable to use to me. Also, Brilliance allows editing of 24bit images, and uses ham8 for preview. Great program in my opinion.
Brilliance, fast ? We didn't use the same program !
And the gui bar at the bottom of the screen uses way too much room.

As I litterally never edit 24bit images, PPaint is better for me, especially because of its color usage statistics - I simply can't live without that.
Old 18 March 2009, 17:28   #92
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Ripped gfx is certainly better than no gfx at all.
They'll do fine as stand-ins like you said.
Quote:
Looks good for a start. But those units are soldiers, not adventurers. How to handle them ?
Some of them are soldiers. In Fire Emblem, all units are represented according to their job class. We can do it that way, or make the way they look independent from the characters classes.
Quote:
If you want to use as much screen-space as possible, then it'd be better to write a generic rescale algorithm !
I've thought about that, but the problem is that such a routine would end up being much slower than the fixed scaling ratio loops. Probably at least twice or even three times as slow This is the reason why I haven't done it that way. In my opinion it would be too slow for a viewer, but if you want, I can give it a shot to see exactly how much slower it will become.
Quote:
Theoretically if you do bitplanes in a loop, one code can handle any depth (and this is one of the few advantages of bitplanes !).
Anything over one bpp needs p2c. Without it, it will slow down to a crawl, unfortunately (I've tried). Bitplanes are a disadvantage for down scaling. For different bit depths, having multiple loops is also faster, but not much. I can make one loop for all indexed modes, or I can leave the code the way it is now, which is separate loops for different depths, your call
Quote:
Like when a program is mysteriously faster on 030 than on 060.
How is that possible
Quote:
Pipeline in fastmem and you will have no trouble.
True. Always four free cycles.
Quote:
Like what ?
Realism, and cooperative game play with multiple players. In these game you can't just rush in and shoot everything anymore like in Doom, Quake, etc. Older shooters didn't used to be like that.
Quote:
WinAmp does chip emulation because it has no knowledge of the format inside.
True, but if the music was just an audio stream, there would be decoders for it. There are even Playstation video players which simply decode the data like any other video format, and the same can be done for audio.
Quote:
If it's tracked, then there HAS to be some editor for it, and it's probably not running on the PS itself but on a PC. A full audio emulation isn't necessary in that case either.
No, it isn't, but tracker formats vary from game to game, so they choose to just rip the audio data with player and all, and emulate cpu and sound chip.
Quote:
This is why you can not make a clean program on such a platform : whatever you do, something will go wrong. Display tearing is something I really do NOT like.
You can make clean software as long as you don't go out of your way to by-pass the os limitations. Display tearing sucks, but I've never seen it on the peecee at all. Not once. The worst that can happen is that games don't run 100% super smooth all the time, nothing more.
Quote:
It's not the OS : for the game to get preempted, some other program must be asking for cpu in the background.

If no other task needs cpu, you will not get those irregularities (unlike on win$ and even linux).
When my Amiga has booted, there's 37 tasks active, further more, there are all the interrupts which can interrupt the game. I think it's impossible to guarantee 100% super smoothness under AmigaOs, unless you start hacking around.
Quote:
Prob'ly, but 060 is fast enough for streaming audio.
I think I prefer the radio.
Quote:
Unlikely, as my FFS partitions are 1 gigabyte only ;-)
Still takes for ages
Quote:
I'm probably just too lazy to configure the bloody thing...
Ah, right. Without configuring Dopus, it's not as good as it can be.
Quote:
This is because it's just too easy ;-)
Indeed
Quote:
That's the main problem of this leveling system...
I like that system, but I generally don't like needing to level up too much in RPGs, and in DM with one character, you don't have to gain more then a few extra levels here and there.
Quote:
I haven't tried, and I don't want to. But please do it.
The boss won't probably regenerate faster than your damages to him, but so will you and because of his minion spamming you'll die a lot quicker than him.
It will be hard, yes, but not impossible.
Quote:
It may be possible, but this is theory. Here you see that the game was not planned to be completed solo, even though most of it is easy enough.
Hehe, there are a lot of people who don't play games as they are intended to, like Final Fantasy no-level challenges, or completing those games with one character, or simply not using the mechanics to the fullest.

A good example of the last one is the Final Fantasy 8 no junction challenge. Basically junctioning allows the player to increase a characters stats, use magic and items, while leveling increases stats very little. Leave out junctioning and the players options become very limited. It's possible to complete the game like that, but it's so difficult it's almost insane , but some people like this kind of challenge, intended or not.

In the end games are intended to be enjoyed by the player, so the player should simply play in the way they like most
Quote:
I wish it did.
Why? If you want to play with four chars, you can, and if you don't, you don't have to. It seems to me that the current system works just fine.
Quote:
You need not be a graphics artist to make place holders, which are what we need for now, to validate the game concept. Ripped gfx is good for that, too.
Exactly. But I still want the game to look fairly good with original graphics if it's at all possible.
Quote:
Ok for weirdness, but a few magic won't hurt...
Magic is essential, in my opinion. Magic is fantasy, pink elephants are weird, but possible. Get an elephant, and paint it pink
Quote:
Probably.
Of course! A lot of the item graphics are much to big, and making them all 16x16 pixels would save a lot of room.
Quote:
So this is like DM levels in fact ?
Really? I didn't know that. The difference is, that I want the game to be 3D internally, where enemies can follow you up/down. Such a way seems best, because layers aren't really needed outside a lot at all, while in a castle, you'll need plenty of layers.
Quote:
I simply have no idea on how to do that...
You can have the gui use it's own font, or just the system font. In both cases, get the font dimensions, and draw the gui based on those dimensions. Simple enough if you can handle fonts properly. I've done something similar in FreeBasic on the peecee using the FreeType library for TrueType fonts. Works like a charm, and it isn't very hard, just a bit of work.
Quote:
Unless those characters are immortal, population of settlements won't have enough time to grow significantly - or the simulation is really poor.
Yes, it's a bit of a problem, but I don't like just having farms and roads put in just for the sake of having them in the game. This has to be solved.
Quote:
New ideas will come with time, I guess. But there is a problem we'll need to face one day or another : it is the game's rules, that is, characteristics and experience. How will this work ? I don't want to make a game where the characters have a global level, as this is meaningless in real life !
Then the first question becomes, do we go for statistically correct random influences (I've made a routine for that), or keep everything exact?

As for global levels, a better idea seems to be to have characters gain experience based on what they do. Warriors who use swords, will become more proficient with swords, just like in real life. When they switch to axes, while they never really used them, they will have to gain proficiency with axes. Same for different types of magic, and other, non-hand to hand warrior types like archers.

This is similar to DM, but can be worked out a lot better, and it's realistic.
Quote:
Now that's a very good idea !
But you probably won't complete it (I think).
Once I get an adequate level of control, anything is possible.
Quote:
Perhaps you simply need to play CSB before.
Yes, and I've started it already. It's indeed harder then DM1. The start of the game is already quite tough , nothing like DM
Quote:
That would be betraying the dungeon's spirit. Of course you won't see that until you've played up to an advanced point, so please do it.
You're right, of course. I guess I'll just have to stick to CSB for the time being, because I'm still a little rusty, and DM is just way too easy. You don't learn much from it after finishing it a couple of times.
Quote:
Yeah, you can.
Here's a nice and simple layout. It's a small jpeg image (302x282 38kb):

Quote:
I just want to see why a mem-mem add would have been useful, that's all.
This is a routine from the kernal I wrote over 10 years ago. It use some lame macros, ignore them The one you're looking for is addu.l, it's located after the FreeMem1 label. Although this isn't used that much in the whole source, at the time it made sense to make a macro for it. Now, I probably would've written the whole kernal in a better way, but that was over ten years ago

Especially note worthy is the lame def macro. I thought it made things more readable
Code:
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
__FreeMem
___FreeMem	=__FreeMem-lib.
;-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
;Frees a reserved memory block.
		;00=memory block 04=object
		;64=free mem entry/-1 if failed
		begin2	128
		getmemlink 00(a1)
		move.l	64(a0),64(a1)
		braeq	#-1,64(a0),ExitFreeMem

getbase	a2
		def.l	a3,_KernalFreeMemList(a2)
		def.l	a3,_ListFirstEmpty(a3)
		def.l	a4,64(a0)

brane	04(a1),_MemObject(a4),ExitFreeMem

def.l	a2,68(a0)
		def.l	a5,72(a0)

braeq	#1,76(a0),FreeMem1
		braeq	#2,76(a0),FreeMem2
		braeq	#3,76(a0),FreeMem3

FreeMem0	move.l	_MemStart(a4),_FreeMemStart(a3)
		move.l	_MemEnd(a4),_FreeMemEnd(a3)
		move.l	_MemSize(a4),_FreeMemSize(a3)
		move.l	_MemType(a4),_FreeMemType(a3)
		writenode  a3
		deletenode a4
		exit2	128

FreeMem1	move.l	_MemStart(a4),_FreeMemStart(a2)
		addu.l	_MemSize(a4),_FreeMemSize(a2)
		deletenode a4
		exit2	128

FreeMem2	move.l	_MemEnd(a4),_FreeMemEnd(a5)
		addu.l	_MemSize(a4),_FreeMemSize(a5)
		deletenode a4
		exit2	128

FreeMem3	move.l	_FreeMemEnd(a2),_FreeMemEnd(a5)
		addu.l	_MemSize(a4),_FreeMemSize(a5)
		addu.l	_FreeMemSize(a2),_FreeMemSize(a5)
		deletenode a2
		deletenode a4

ExitFreeMem	exit2	128
Quote:
Nothing beats it, eh ? But phxass produces better code and supports more complex constructions (try to assemble V with asmone and you'll see what I mean).
Erm, it's assembler, how can it produce better code? Branch optimization perhaps? AsmOne can do that with the ao command. If not, then how? PhxAss is a command line assembler, while AsmOne is fully integrated, and is much handier for debugging, in my opinion.
Quote:
Grab WinXp original gui and count the colors : actually there are many more than 16 !
I meant the original gui which is present in Win95 and upward. The themed gui which WinXp uses does in fact use more than 16 colors, but the standard gui doesn't, except for the gradient in the title bar, which can be left out when there aren't enough colors.
Quote:
I don't even dare to hope.
Yeah, unless samone stands up to the challenge, it won't ever happen. Anyway, what are typical things that you would like to see in a c/c++ replacement?
Quote:
You say that the implementation is at fault, but I won't believe you until you make a better one.
I already made a crude text viewer with FreeBasic. It's about a million times faster than all that other crap ware, and another example is the horrendously slow replace function in office software and some text editors, this is easy to do a lot better (read CygnusEd speeds). There are plenty of applications which can be improved on a lot speed wise, simply because they're implemented in such a louse way. Sometimes it's really no contest. Why don't you give me an example of something that would be hard to do
Quote:
Brilliance, fast ? We didn't use the same program !
Even on an A500 it's fast. I must admit I haven't used Ppaint in any serious way, but compared to Dpaint, Brilliance is as fast as lightning.
Quote:
And the gui bar at the bottom of the screen uses way too much room.
I like the gui at the bottom of the screen, matter of personal preference.
Quote:
As I litterally never edit 24bit images, PPaint is better for me, especially because of its color usage statistics - I simply can't live without that.
I've never really needed color statistics. I guess it depends on both the users needs and taste.

Last edited by Thorham; 18 March 2009 at 17:46. Reason: Tons of erros and typos.
Old 19 March 2009, 13:03   #93
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
They'll do fine as stand-ins like you said.
Sure. When we'll have something up and running, we'll see to get something better.

Quote:
Some of them are soldiers. In Fire Emblem, all units are represented according to their job class. We can do it that way, or make the way they look independent from the characters classes.
But these units represent groups, not individuals ?

Quote:
I've thought about that, but the problem is that such a routine would end up being much slower than the fixed scaling ratio loops. Probably at least twice or even three times as slow This is the reason why I haven't done it that way. In my opinion it would be too slow for a viewer, but if you want, I can give it a shot to see exactly how much slower it will become.
Quote:
Anything over one bpp needs p2c. Without it, it will slow down to a crawl, unfortunately (I've tried). Bitplanes are a disadvantage for down scaling. For different bit depths, having multiple loops is also faster, but not much. I can make one loop for all indexed modes, or I can leave the code the way it is now, which is separate loops for different depths, your call
Do it the way you want, but it ought not end up with dozens of different loops !

Quote:
How is that possible
Worse chipmem timings, suppressed (emulated) instructions... Who knows what else.

Quote:
Realism, and cooperative game play with multiple players. In these game you can't just rush in and shoot everything anymore like in Doom, Quake, etc. Older shooters didn't used to be like that.
That's just a few more options ; the game's concept is the same.

Quote:
True, but if the music was just an audio stream, there would be decoders for it. There are even Playstation video players which simply decode the data like any other video format, and the same can be done for audio.
Quote:
No, it isn't, but tracker formats vary from game to game, so they choose to just rip the audio data with player and all, and emulate cpu and sound chip.
If the music was just another tracker, there would be players for it, too.

And some tracker data should be visible inside (such as sample names, or even note data). It should be possible to simply rip the module out and play it... as any other tracker module.

If it looks wholly compressed, then it's probably just another style of ADPCM format.

Quote:
You can make clean software as long as you don't go out of your way to by-pass the os limitations. Display tearing sucks, but I've never seen it on the peecee at all. Not once. The worst that can happen is that games don't run 100% super smooth all the time, nothing more.
Now I ask : do we live in the same world ???

Quote:
When my Amiga has booted, there's 37 tasks active, further more, there are all the interrupts which can interrupt the game. I think it's impossible to guarantee 100% super smoothness under AmigaOs, unless you start hacking around.
37 tasks after booting

I only have 12 tasks or so after booting, and even now I have browser/mailer/tcp stack/text editor running, I still only have 27 !

Furthermore, even with 50 tasks here, if all of them are WAITING (which is what they should be doing when you run a game !), then smoothness will not be affected.

Quote:
I think I prefer the radio.
What I called streaming audio here IS the radio.

Quote:
Still takes for ages
Are 30 seconds ages ? Especially when you can still use your machine normally (apart writing to disk) during it ?

Quote:
Ah, right. Without configuring Dopus, it's not as good as it can be.
Sure.

Quote:
I like that system, but I generally don't like needing to level up too much in RPGs, and in DM with one character, you don't have to gain more then a few extra levels here and there.
You don't like leveling up ? So you don't like feeling powerful, eh ?

Quote:
It will be hard, yes, but not impossible.
I think it's hard enough with 4 characters who are sacks of mana...

Quote:
Hehe, there are a lot of people who don't play games as they are intended to, like Final Fantasy no-level challenges, or completing those games with one character, or simply not using the mechanics to the fullest.

A good example of the last one is the Final Fantasy 8 no junction challenge. Basically junctioning allows the player to increase a characters stats, use magic and items, while leveling increases stats very little. Leave out junctioning and the players options become very limited. It's possible to complete the game like that, but it's so difficult it's almost insane , but some people like this kind of challenge, intended or not.

In the end games are intended to be enjoyed by the player, so the player should simply play in the way they like most
Such challenges are for people who already completed those games with the normal way of playing, and want to get more fun of them.

Quote:
Why? If you want to play with four chars, you can, and if you don't, you don't have to. It seems to me that the current system works just fine.
I don't want to play with four chars, I want to play with twelve and more, but I can't

<sigh>

I guess I will never understand that curious preference of single char...

Quote:
Exactly. But I still want the game to look fairly good with original graphics if it's at all possible.
Being playable is IMO more important than looking good. Unlike "modern" games which seem to be designed more to be watched than played...

Quote:
Magic is essential, in my opinion. Magic is fantasy, pink elephants are weird, but possible. Get an elephant, and paint it pink
But pink elephants aren't "weird". They're absolutely normal
(normal manifestations of drunken stupor...)

Quote:
Of course! A lot of the item graphics are much to big, and making them all 16x16 pixels would save a lot of room.
Surely you know that in 16x16 they can't look as good as they actually are.

Quote:
Really? I didn't know that. The difference is, that I want the game to be 3D internally, where enemies can follow you up/down. Such a way seems best, because layers aren't really needed outside a lot at all, while in a castle, you'll need plenty of layers.
But, man, DM is 3D internally. It's only that stairs can't graphically show monsters in them, and the situation where you try to climb stairs but there is a monster blocking the other way is highly problematic.

Quote:
You can have the gui use it's own font, or just the system font. In both cases, get the font dimensions, and draw the gui based on those dimensions. Simple enough if you can handle fonts properly. I've done something similar in FreeBasic on the peecee using the FreeType library for TrueType fonts. Works like a charm, and it isn't very hard, just a bit of work.
TrueType fonts are scalable fonts by essence, so it's certainly no big deal on them !

But if you mix them with bitmaps, then the text size mustn't change or you'll have loads of troubles.

Quote:
Yes, it's a bit of a problem, but I don't like just having farms and roads put in just for the sake of having them in the game. This has to be solved.
Farms provide food and roads accelerate your moves. It's just that population won't grow a lot.

Quote:
Then the first question becomes, do we go for statistically correct random influences (I've made a routine for that), or keep everything exact?

As for global levels, a better idea seems to be to have characters gain experience based on what they do. Warriors who use swords, will become more proficient with swords, just like in real life. When they switch to axes, while they never really used them, they will have to gain proficiency with axes. Same for different types of magic, and other, non-hand to hand warrior types like archers.

This is similar to DM, but can be worked out a lot better, and it's realistic.
What do you mean, keep everything exact ?

Of course there should not be global levels.
And it may end up better than DM, but DM is more complex (and more realistic) than it looks.

But what I ask is : what will the exact rules be ?

Quote:
Once I get an adequate level of control, anything is possible.
How much time will it take to get this adequate level of control ?

Quote:
Yes, and I've started it already. It's indeed harder then DM1. The start of the game is already quite tough , nothing like DM
I liked the feeling of being naked, in darkness, without a weapon, on a pressure plate which produces worms...

But once you know this place well, it's no longer hard.

Quote:
You're right, of course. I guess I'll just have to stick to CSB for the time being, because I'm still a little rusty, and DM is just way too easy. You don't learn much from it after finishing it a couple of times.
CSB is much more complex than DM. It's no longer a bunch of levels which have little to see with each other and must be done in order.

Quote:
Here's a nice and simple layout. It's a small jpeg image (302x282 38kb)
Ok, it looks simple and elegant enough, even if I can say I do not like white backgrounds. What does it give in html ?

Quote:
This is a routine from the kernal I wrote over 10 years ago. It use some lame macros, ignore them The one you're looking for is addu.l, it's located after the FreeMem1 label. Although this isn't used that much in the whole source, at the time it made sense to make a macro for it. Now, I probably would've written the whole kernal in a better way, but that was over ten years ago

Especially note worthy is the lame def macro. I thought it made things more readable
So it's a matter of structure fields add, eh ? But you're not out of regs in here and a macro does the stuff quite nicely.

And it's true that those macros don't make the thing very readable

Quote:
Erm, it's assembler, how can it produce better code? Branch optimization perhaps? AsmOne can do that with the ao command. If not, then how? PhxAss is a command line assembler, while AsmOne is fully integrated, and is much handier for debugging, in my opinion.
Branch optimization, yes. Especially forward ones, which are NOT optimized by any other asm I know of !

In fact you simply no longer have to care about branches at all. And that, man, is a saviour of time. Other things like label(An) will be (An) if label is 0, not 0(An). Unsure asmone can do that.

Note that Devpac is integrated too, so why asmone ?

Quote:
I meant the original gui which is present in Win95 and upward. The themed gui which WinXp uses does in fact use more than 16 colors, but the standard gui doesn't, except for the gradient in the title bar, which can be left out when there aren't enough colors.
And Win95/Win98 are strangely faster than WinXp...

Quote:
Yeah, unless samone stands up to the challenge, it won't ever happen. Anyway, what are typical things that you would like to see in a c/c++ replacement?
c/c++ syntax is horrific and makes it unreadable.

Quote:
I already made a crude text viewer with FreeBasic. It's about a million times faster than all that other crap ware, and another example is the horrendously slow replace function in office software and some text editors, this is easy to do a lot better (read CygnusEd speeds). There are plenty of applications which can be improved on a lot speed wise, simply because they're implemented in such a louse way. Sometimes it's really no contest. Why don't you give me an example of something that would be hard to do
An example of something that would be hard to do ? The OS itself !

Quote:
Even on an A500 it's fast. I must admit I haven't used Ppaint in any serious way, but compared to Dpaint, Brilliance is as fast as lightning.
You say Brilliance is fast on A500. But can you really run it on A500, as the exe itself is more than 500kb ? On my A1200 it used more than 1MB of fastmem, btw.

And it's fast when doing what ???

There are no menus, disk options are hidden (took me several minutes to locate the quit option), it opens an awful flickering (interlaced) screen by default, the interface uses way too much space out of the image, zoom (magnifier) is close to be unusable (no scroller on it), palette editor is no good (no way to duplicate an entry, no way to swap two entries).

Is that enough for not using it ?

Quote:
I like the gui at the bottom of the screen, matter of personal preference.
Wherever it is, it's still too big.

Quote:
I've never really needed color statistics. I guess it depends on both the users needs and taste.
You probably never needed to mix two gfx having a different palette.

When I wanted to check which monsters of DM/CSB really used colors 9 and 10 (those are variable), I just ordered the program to count colors, and it was done. Now how to do that with Brilliance ???
Old 19 March 2009, 15:44   #94
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Sure. When we'll have something up and running, we'll see to get something better.
Yes, it has to be at least the same kind of quality. Note that the colors are a bit weird because of the GBA backlight setting, they look better in VGA mode in an emulator. All this can wait, of course.
Quote:
But these units represent groups, not individuals ?
They're individuals. In Advance Wars units represent groups.
Quote:
Do it the way you want, but it ought not end up with dozens of different loops !
Then I'll merge several loops that can be merged into one, because I've got dozens of loops now
Quote:
Worse chipmem timings, suppressed (emulated) instructions... Who knows what else.
So there really is a need to take these differences in account. You'd think that everything is just faster...
Quote:
That's just a few more options ; the game's concept is the same.
It goes further than that. Modern tactical shooters are realistic simulations of real combat situations, this goes way beyond the simple shoot everything that moves concept of shooters like Doom and Quake.
Quote:
If the music was just another tracker, there would be players for it, too.
Unlikely, because there are so many different games, and ripping sound data with the player is by far the easiest. The music on PS1 and PS2 comes in two formats: streamed and sequenced, and the PSF player simply ignores this and players both kinds by using the games original player code. This is how it works, it's not speculation.
Quote:
And some tracker data should be visible inside (such as sample names, or even note data). It should be possible to simply rip the module out and play it... as any other tracker module.
As said, different games use different formats, while the PSF player simply handles all of them. It's not about efficiency, it's peecee software after all.
Quote:
If it looks wholly compressed, then it's probably just another style of ADPCM format.
Not necessarily. On the GBA the games graphics are often stored compressed, and not raw, for example, and I'm betting there are plenty of Amiga games which store modules completely compressed, and not just the samples.
Quote:
Now I ask : do we live in the same world ???
Yes.
Quote:
37 tasks after booting 'shocked'
Yup, 37, and that's without running anything else, just booting.
Quote:
I only have 12 tasks or so after booting, and even now I have browser/mailer/tcp stack/text editor running, I still only have 27 !
It's because you've minimized the amount stuff that's run.
Quote:
Furthermore, even with 50 tasks here, if all of them are WAITING (which is what they should be doing when you run a game !), then smoothness will not be affected.
Not by waiting taks, no, but interrupts that have a higher priority, mostly disk access, can in theory still cause negative effects. I know it won't happen a lot at all, but it can happen.
Quote:
What I called streaming audio here IS the radio.
I just meant one of those stand alone internet radios. They seem to be quite convenient.
Quote:
Are 30 seconds ages ? Especially when you can still use your machine normally (apart writing to disk) during it ?
30 secs is hugely annoying to me, especially if it's unnecessary.
Quote:
Sure.
Now go and download Dopus 4.16 from Aminet and configure the thing already
Quote:
You don't like leveling up ? So you don't like feeling powerful, eh ?
True power comes from skill, not leveling
Quote:
I think it's hard enough with 4 characters who are sacks of mana...
It takes a while, yes. Solo is simply a challenge, nothing more.
Quote:
Such challenges are for people who already completed those games with the normal way of playing, and want to get more fun of them.
Indeed! Games are made to have fun with, so play as you see fit.
Quote:
I don't want to play with four chars, I want to play with twelve and more, but I can't.
What do you need 12 characters for in DM? Isn't that overkill?
Quote:
I guess I will never understand that curious preference of single char...
Four characters is fun, but I like playing solo as well. It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like beer, others prefer wine, while some people don't like alcoholic beverages at all.
Quote:
Being playable is IMO more important than looking good. Unlike "modern" games which seem to be designed more to be watched than played...
Of course it is. It's the most important aspect of any game. If the graphics can look good as well, then that is a nice bonus.
Quote:
Surely you know that in 16x16 they can't look as good as they actually are.
As long as they're representative of the items, it's fine with me. Easy to use is more important than having huge pretty item graphics which make the interface annoying to use.
Quote:
But, man, DM is 3D internally. It's only that stairs can't graphically show monsters in them, and the situation where you try to climb stairs but there is a monster blocking the other way is highly problematic.
I didn't know it is. If it's only a graphics problem in DM, then in our overhead viewed game this won't be a problem.
Quote:
TrueType fonts are scalable fonts by essence, so it's certainly no big deal on them !

But if you mix them with bitmaps, then the text size mustn't change or you'll have loads of troubles.
It's the same problem. Whenever the font size changes, scalable or fixed, the gui has to be re-drawn completely anyway.
Quote:
Farms provide food and roads accelerate your moves. It's just that population won't grow a lot.
As long as the adventurers themselves don't end up as road workers and farmers, it's fine with me.
Quote:
What do you mean, keep everything exact ?
In Adnvance Wares, damage doesn't depend on any random factors. This is what I mean with exact. In a game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, randomness determines the outcome of actions: if a character attacs something from the back, then the chance the attack will be successful will greatly improve. Attack from the front, and it will decrease. It's still always chance based. In Fire Emblem, the stat growth when leveling is randomized to a degree (weak point of the game).

Personally, I'd like to see everything that makes sense being affected by a small amount of statistically correct randomness, but not so much that it becomes annoying.
Quote:
Of course there should not be global levels.
And it may end up better than DM, but DM is more complex (and more realistic) than it looks.
It doesn't have to be very complex in our game, as long as it makes sense and is effective. Anyway, in what ways is DM more complex and realistic than it looks?
Quote:
But what I ask is : what will the exact rules be ?
Ah, the hard part! This has to be carefully worked out and I really can't just plot down a bunch of rules. I can come up with things, but do you already have some good ideas?
Quote:
How much time will it take to get this adequate level of control ?
I wouldn't be able to tell you if my life depended on it I've tried your dungeon a couple of more times, and I just can't seem to avoid those damned monsters, they keep surrounding me all the time , but do not give me any tips, I hate spoilers.
Quote:
I liked the feeling of being naked, in darkness, without a weapon, on a pressure plate which produces worms...

But once you know this place well, it's no longer hard.
Hehe, the first time I tried, I thought What the hell?, but it's indeed doable.
Quote:
CSB is much more complex than DM. It's no longer a bunch of levels which have little to see with each other and must be done in order.
I actually enjoy that, DM is a little bit too linear.
Quote:
Ok, it looks simple and elegant enough, even if I can say I do not like white backgrounds. What does it give in html ?
Colors can be changed to suit taste. As for html code, it won't be a lot. I've got some experience with html, although I've never made a web page, and it's pretty easy to figure out how to do things in html anyway.
Quote:
So it's a matter of structure fields add, eh ? But you're not out of regs in here and a macro does the stuff quite nicely.
Yup, the macro works quite well here. Well, this is the example of mem to mem add. I guess all you need for this is indeed just a macro.
Quote:
And it's true that those macros don't make the thing very readable/
Yeah, some of those macros really do suck
Quote:
Branch optimization, yes. Especially forward ones, which are NOT optimized by any other asm I know of !
I will need to try this in ASM-One, but I think it actually can do forward branch optimization.
Quote:
In fact you simply no longer have to care about branches at all. And that, man, is a saviour of time.
With ASM-One you do have to use a different assemble command, but it's easy to use.
Quote:
Other things like label(An) will be (An) if label is 0, not 0(An). Unsure asmone can do that.
You're probably right. Seems like such an odd thing to leave out, strange.
Quote:
I tried Devpac years ago and I just like the way ASM-One works better, seems easier to use somehow. Again, user preference.
Quote:
And Win95/Win98 are strangely faster than WinXp...
In WinXP the whole themed gui can be turned off. In fact, I have the theme service turned off, so I always have the old style gui, it's faster.
Quote:
c/c++ syntax is horrific and makes it unreadable.
I know, but apart from the horrible syntax, what do like to see in a replacement language?
Quote:
An example of something that would be hard to do ? The OS itself !
Yup, that ain't easy.
Quote:
You say Brilliance is fast on A500. But can you really run it on A500, as the exe itself is more than 500kb ? On my A1200 it used more than 1MB of fastmem, btw.
When I still only had an A500, I had 2.5mb extra memory.
Quote:
And it's fast when doing what ???
Everything?
Quote:
There are no menus.
Don't need'm
Quote:
Disk options are hidden (took me several minutes to locate the quit option).
Not a problem for me
Quote:
Iit opens an awful flickering (interlaced) screen by default.
Interlace flickering doesn't bother me
Quote:
The interface uses way too much space out of the image.
Gui on the bottom, gui on the side, it's all the same to me
Quote:
Zoom (magnifier) is close to be unusable (no scroller on it).
Don't need a scroller, use the curser keys, much easier
Quote:
Palette editor is no good (no way to duplicate an entry, no way to swap two entries).
Of course you can swap and copy entries, look at the left side of the editor. I wouldn't use the program if it couldn't do these basic things
Quote:
Is that enough for not using it ?
Nope

Sory for all the 'sticks out tounge smilies', but I just couldn't resist
Quote:
Wherever it is, it's still too big.
Like I said, personal preference. Some people hate it, some people love it.
Quote:
You probably never needed to mix two gfx having a different palette.
I use Adpro for that, and actually never tried that with a paint packe. I'll have to test this.
Quote:
When I wanted to check which monsters of DM/CSB really used colors 9 and 10 (those are variable), I just ordered the program to count colors, and it was done. Now how to do that with Brilliance ???
Hmm, I honestly don't know... Maybe it can't...

Last edited by Thorham; 19 March 2009 at 15:58.
Old 19 March 2009, 16:05   #95
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:

In fact you simply no longer have to care about branches at all. And that, man, is a saviour of time. Other things like label(An) will be (An) if label is 0, not 0(An). Unsure asmone can do that.

Sorry to interrupt your conversation but what's it with your hate campaign against ASM-One? Sure, it's not perfect and has bugs but which program is bugfree? And optimising should be done by the coder, NOT by the assembler, that's my opinion at least. And as you seem to praise phx-ass all the time, any assembler that accepts "moveq.w" is horribly broken in my book!
Old 19 March 2009, 19:31   #96
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
And as you seem to praise phx-ass all the time, any assembler that accepts "moveq.w" is horribly broken in my book!
ASM-One accepts meveq.w StingRay Sorry for that
Old 19 March 2009, 20:57   #97
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
ASM-One accepts meveq.w StingRay Sorry for that
Never saw an Asm1 version (and I used quite a lot since 1991) which supports that crap.

Code:
a
Pass 1..
** Illegal Size
            moveq.w #1,d1
But that wasn't my point anyway. My point was the "let's bash Asm1 even though I never really used it" attitude.
Old 19 March 2009, 22:13   #98
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Never saw an Asm1 version (and I used quite a lot since 1991) which supports that crap.

Code:
a
Pass 1..
** Illegal Size
            moveq.w #1,d1
Yep, you're right, of course. I got it mixed up with moveq.l which is accepted
Old 23 March 2009, 09:00   #99
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Sorry to interrupt your conversation but what's it with your hate campaign against ASM-One? Sure, it's not perfect and has bugs but which program is bugfree?
Yeah I don't like it.
Each time I tried to use this bullshit seriously it simply crashed !

Quote:
And optimising should be done by the coder, NOT by the assembler, that's my opinion at least.
You will never care manually of branch optimizations in a 40000-line source which evolves all the time.

Besides, some opts are not always valid if you have an include lib with lots of if/endc.

Quote:
And as you seem to praise phx-ass all the time, any assembler that accepts "moveq.w" is horribly broken in my book!
I didn't pretend it's perfect. You can't imagine the amount of bug reports I sent to Frank Wille.

But phxass gives better code than asm1. I resourced enough asm1 programs to know that.

Quote:

Code:
a
Pass 1..
** Illegal Size
  moveq.w #1,d1
A programmer writing such a shit is really a poor programmer
Anyway, your beloved asm1 accepts this other crap without a warning :
Code:
 btst #8,(a0)
Whereas phxass says Bit manipulation out of range.

So who's seriously broken ?

Quote:
But that wasn't my point anyway. My point was the "let's bash Asm1 even though I never really used it" attitude.
No, I never really used it. And you know why ? It's simply because I couldn't ! No source I tried accepts to assemble.

When I type a number in the editor (with numpad) it moves the cursor (how to disable that numpad stupidity ? not found !).

But please come and defend this software here. C'mon.

At least phxass accepts this code :
http://meynaf.free.fr/tmp/v.lzx
Asm-one will never be able to do so. You may wish to adapt the source. Good luck.
Old 23 March 2009, 09:29   #100
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Yes, it has to be at least the same kind of quality. Note that the colors are a bit weird because of the GBA backlight setting, they look better in VGA mode in an emulator. All this can wait, of course.
It can wait, and certainly will.

Quote:
They're individuals. In Advance Wars units represent groups.
As adventurers are individuals in battles, this settles things I think.

Quote:
Then I'll merge several loops that can be merged into one, because I've got dozens of loops now
That loops too much. Makes me feel dizzy

Quote:
So there really is a need to take these differences in account. You'd think that everything is just faster...
We can't take much into account without the real hardware on which to test...

Quote:
It goes further than that. Modern tactical shooters are realistic simulations of real combat situations, this goes way beyond the simple shoot everything that moves concept of shooters like Doom and Quake.
But half-life is a shoot-everything game and counter-strike is a tactical shooter. The diff is tenuous, isn't it ?

Quote:
Unlikely, because there are so many different games, and ripping sound data with the player is by far the easiest. The music on PS1 and PS2 comes in two formats: streamed and sequenced, and the PSF player simply ignores this and players both kinds by using the games original player code. This is how it works, it's not speculation.
So there are only two formats, eh ? Btw sequenced doesn't mean tracked.

Quote:
As said, different games use different formats, while the PSF player simply handles all of them. It's not about efficiency, it's peecee software after all.
There should not be many different formats as it would be a waste of time for developers.

Quote:
Not necessarily. On the GBA the games graphics are often stored compressed, and not raw, for example, and I'm betting there are plenty of Amiga games which store modules completely compressed, and not just the samples.
Even if compressed, there is probably some sort of a cruncher's header.

Quote:
Yes.
I'll put this on the account of beer and smoke...

Quote:
Yup, 37, and that's without running anything else, just booting.
Quote:
It's because you've minimized the amount stuff that's run.
I only run what I need. But I understand where your boot time comes from, now.

Quote:
Not by waiting taks, no, but interrupts that have a higher priority, mostly disk access, can in theory still cause negative effects. I know it won't happen a lot at all, but it can happen.
It can happen if someone orders those disk accesses. Remember that the OS in itself won't do that ; we're not in the pc world where a fly's fart next room will trigger disk activity.

Quote:
I just meant one of those stand alone internet radios. They seem to be quite convenient.
But you don't choose what you listen ?

Quote:
30 secs is hugely annoying to me, especially if it's unnecessary.
It's a HUGE annoyance, especially because it happens less than once a year and is much less than the time a pc takes to bootup

Quote:
Now go and download Dopus 4.16 from Aminet and configure the thing already
Nice try ;-)

Quote:
True power comes from skill, not leveling
Apparently yours seems to be a little rusty, so leveling won't hurt ;-)

Quote:
It takes a while, yes. Solo is simply a challenge, nothing more.
Rather.

Quote:
Indeed! Games are made to have fun with, so play as you see fit.
I see fit to have many characters. Did you try 6-chars games such as EoB series ?

Quote:
What do you need 12 characters for in DM? Isn't that overkill?
The more, the better

Quote:
Four characters is fun, but I like playing solo as well. It's a matter of personal preference. Some people like beer, others prefer wine, while some people don't like alcoholic beverages at all.
It is, isn't it ? But alcoholic beverages are toxic for everyone

Quote:
Of course it is. It's the most important aspect of any game. If the graphics can look good as well, then that is a nice bonus.
The sound/music ambiance can do much, too. It's too often forgotten IMO.

Quote:
As long as they're representative of the items, it's fine with me. Easy to use is more important than having huge pretty item graphics which make the interface annoying to use.
Apparently they didn't think of it like that.

Quote:
I didn't know it is. If it's only a graphics problem in DM, then in our overhead viewed game this won't be a problem.
If the monsters were not an obstacle and could be displayed, there would be no problem. That's what DM2 does with enemy's attack minions ; they can change level with ladders.

Quote:
It's the same problem. Whenever the font size changes, scalable or fixed, the gui has to be re-drawn completely anyway.
So what has to be done is probably to choose the font and stick to it...

Quote:
As long as the adventurers themselves don't end up as road workers and farmers, it's fine with me.
What do you have against road workers and farmers ?

Quote:
In Adnvance Wares, damage doesn't depend on any random factors. This is what I mean with exact. In a game like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, randomness determines the outcome of actions: if a character attacs something from the back, then the chance the attack will be successful will greatly improve. Attack from the front, and it will decrease. It's still always chance based. In Fire Emblem, the stat growth when leveling is randomized to a degree (weak point of the game).

Personally, I'd like to see everything that makes sense being affected by a small amount of statistically correct randomness, but not so much that it becomes annoying.
Quote:
It doesn't have to be very complex in our game, as long as it makes sense and is effective.
I fear that random is necessary : a blow from a sword, from the very same opponent, can leave you with a slight scratch as well as it can kill you at once !

Quote:
Anyway, in what ways is DM more complex and realistic than it looks?
DM has sub-levels for Fighter, Ninja, Priest and Wizard, a hidden Luck value (for me more for complexity than realism), it has several damage classes giving several armor rules (e.g. fire and magic behave differently than weapons), and the chances of hitting a particular body part depends on the monster.
There are probably quite a lotta things I don't know of, too.

Quote:
Ah, the hard part! This has to be carefully worked out and I really can't just plot down a bunch of rules. I can come up with things, but do you already have some good ideas?
I don't have much ! What I have is a very basic rule set for fighting, and a lot of particular cases not covered by any RPG.

Quote:
I wouldn't be able to tell you if my life depended on it I've tried your dungeon a couple of more times, and I just can't seem to avoid those damned monsters, they keep surrounding me all the time , but do not give me any tips, I hate spoilers.
But did you see a new part of it ? I can't believe you're still stuck in the hall of champions !

Quote:
Hehe, the first time I tried, I thought What the hell?, but it's indeed doable.
More than doable, it becomes easy when you know how to prevent more worms from being generated.

Quote:
I actually enjoy that, DM is a little bit too linear.
In that aspect, DM2 is quite linear too. Note my dungeon isn't linear, provided, of course, that you can escape the initial inferno

Quote:
Colors can be changed to suit taste. As for html code, it won't be a lot. I've got some experience with html, although I've never made a web page, and it's pretty easy to figure out how to do things in html anyway.
Html is no longer what it used to be. Heard of css ?

Quote:
Yup, the macro works quite well here. Well, this is the example of mem to mem add. I guess all you need for this is indeed just a macro.
So at the end nothing misses you in 68k, eh ?

Quote:
I will need to try this in ASM-One, but I think it actually can do forward branch optimization.
Quote:
With ASM-One you do have to use a different assemble command, but it's easy to use.
Maybe it can do forward opts, but it has the dirty habit of modifying the source accordingly !
Each time I tried trash-m-one, it crashed in one way or another (recent tests done with 1.48).

Anyway, something as simple as that will not lead to optimal code :
Code:
zbra macro
 bra \1
 endm

zbra label
 nop
 nop
label

zbra truc
 rept 128
 nop 
 endr
truc
When I see the annoyance it is with even the simpliest things, I can't imagine trying to assemble my dm source with that... Ouch !

I wonder why so many people use this horror where you have to switch to command mode to be able to save a thing from the editor. For me it is plain shite, and that's all.

I know I can be very crude here but diplomacy isn't my strong point, so sorry if I hurted anyone.

Quote:
You're probably right. Seems like such an odd thing to leave out, strange.
Whatever can be missing I don't really know, but what I could check is that when reassembling things originally done with asmone, phxass produces something smaller (more often than not, and never bigger).

Quote:
I tried Devpac years ago and I just like the way ASM-One works better, seems easier to use somehow. Again, user preference.
Easy to use, with its awful command/editor/whatever modes ? Better to read that than bein' blind...

Of course I cannot say I like devpac either

Quote:
In WinXP the whole themed gui can be turned off. In fact, I have the theme service turned off, so I always have the old style gui, it's faster.
And it's faster. QED.

Quote:
I know, but apart from the horrible syntax, what do like to see in a replacement language?
C/C++ has bogus operator priority, very basic string/array types, and no built-in way to do gfx and sound.
But other languages which may have that are damn slow in comparison.

Quote:
When I still only had an A500, I had 2.5mb extra memory.
That explains. But it still uses too much memory for my taste.

Quote:
Everything?
Perhaps it's fast. But the time wasted (at least for me) to find the option I need amongst all those icons clearly outweight it.

Quote:
Don't need'm
Not a problem for me
Interlace flickering doesn't bother me
Gui on the bottom, gui on the side, it's all the same to me Don't need a scroller, use the curser keys, much easier
Of course you can swap and copy entries, look at the left side of the editor. I wouldn't use the program if it couldn't do these basic things
Nope

Sory for all the 'sticks out tounge smilies', but I just couldn't resist

Like I said, personal preference. Some people hate it, some people love it.
(now I see what the 15-img limitation is for)

I find it strange you say that the view should cover the whole screen in a game and accept half of it to be covered by the interface of a paint program.
Contradictory ?

You probably didn't use it much though. Say, try to get a monster from EOB and adapt it to DM1's 16-color palette. For me PPaint is the best for doing that.

Quote:
I use Adpro for that, and actually never tried that with a paint packe. I'll have to test this.
Oh, yeah !

Quote:
Hmm, I honestly don't know... Maybe it can't...
"Maybe" says it all.