English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 08 March 2013, 14:08   #2881
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Another World Anniversary edition on pc (somehow never got round to having a real play of it until now?)
Strider 2 arcade game (after dusting it off in my brothers garage)
Uae4all2 on my phone
Arma 3 Alpha on my pc (makes battlefield 3 look meh)

edit: Almost forgot - I've just introduced my daughter to my tmnt arcade machine....

Last edited by Baboon; 08 March 2013 at 16:46.
Old 08 March 2013, 15:21   #2882
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWIV View Post
Ms.Pacman (arcade)
Sweet, have you got and old arcade machine?

Last edited by prowler; 08 March 2013 at 23:06. Reason: Fixed quote.
Old 08 March 2013, 15:38   #2883
onkelarie

At this moment, gnomoria is a total timesink.... Www.gnomoria.com
Old 10 March 2013, 07:00   #2884
laffer
Zone Friend

Playing through the Commander Keen series again... finished the first three a couple of weeks ago (not really a big fan of those, if it wasn't for nostalgia, I'd probably skip them entirely), and I'm now playing 4-6... which are much, much better games!

Finished Commander Keen 4 yesterday, probably my favourite in the series... these are damn good platform games, in my opinion... despite the graphics and sound not being that good (I think the graphics are more than good enough, though... I really like the style).
I really like the level design, with tons of secrets and stuff like that... and the pogo stick is a nice element, especially in Keen 4-6 where the controls are very good, unlike the first three games.

I might give Keen Dreams a go as well, that's the one I've finished the fewest times, but from what I remember, I didn't enjoy that one all that much... I don't like how you can only stun enemies, for instance.
Old 11 March 2013, 08:57   #2885
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah Keen 4 is definitely the best one. And of course you -have- to stand still on the little moon on the floor for a moment, even though you've done it a dozen times before.

If you like Keen 4 then you may also want to give Duke Nukem 2 a try, I found it an equally pleasing platform/shooting experience. And when I finished it I was quite shocked: the game actually tells you "See you next time in Duke Nukem 3D".
Old 15 March 2013, 10:45   #2886
laffer
Zone Friend

I've actuallyed played through the first two Duke games a couple of times, fun games... though they have quite a bit of stolen graphics from Turrican
I played them as they were included with the original release of Duke 3D, so I played them way back then.

Currently playing Keen 6, finished Keen 5 a few days ago.

By the way, in the first Keen trilogy, they actually tell you about Quake... though it's described as a 256 color side scroller
Old 15 March 2013, 13:21   #2887
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

ha ha If I remember correctly, Quake was supposed to be something totally different than what it is now; the guys at ID wanted to do something other than an FPS for a change. But alas, that's what they were stuck in then and forever since.

Ever try Bio Menace?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bio_Menace

(sorry, the corporate nanny watcher blocks mobygames). Also a game I -really- enjoyed, but you need a very specific Dos setup to get it to work. Something like specifically needing to set EMS memory and not XMS or something, its too long ago.
Old 15 March 2013, 16:25   #2888
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
edit: Almost forgot - I've just introduced my daughter to my tmnt arcade machine....
I used to love playing that thing!! well worth the 20p

(or 10p for Goldenaxe)

I'd always prefer playing Donatello better range

I still can't believe they bothered to call them Hero turtles and not Ninja, what on earth did they think would happen?

Coincidently I'm currently playing, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus on the PS2 with my 2 kids

I got it as it reminded me of that Arcade machine.

Last edited by Rob 1; 15 March 2013 at 16:33.
Old 16 March 2013, 13:26   #2889
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Bruce Lee (C64) - I had this on my ZX Spectrum too but and imo it seems the Speccy one runs marginally faster than it's C64 equivalent which, graphic-wise, looks like the Atari version. This was a huge hit back in the day and surprisingly, not an arcade conversion or based on any particular Bruce Lee movie. Simple addictive platform/beat-em-up game.
Old 17 March 2013, 22:51   #2890
laffer
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
I actually played that all the way through for the first time, a month or two ago... I used to play it at a friends place way back in the day, and even then I found it really cheesy... which I like
It's a good game, my only real complaints would be that the controls don't seem as tight as in many other Apogee games, and that there are some highly unfair placements of enemies in certain stages (completely hidden sometimes).
Lots of fun, though... and some of the EGA backgrounds look very nice, in some of the levels.

By the way, have you played Secret Agent, and/or Crystal Caves?
Two old Apogee games that play very much the same, but it's still fun playing both... I used to play these so much back in the day, and I still like them.
They have very simplistic graphics and PC speaker only audio, but the gameplay is quite addictive

Anyway, I'm still playing Keen 6, haven't had that much time for gaming these last few days, but I'm almost through it now... I enjoy it, but it really isn't as good as Keen 4, I feel the level design is more bland and unimaginative somehow.

Oh yeah, and I also downloaded KEmulator, an emulator that lets you play 2D java mobile phone games, like those for Nokia etc... played a bit of Jurassic Park for mobile, by Gameloft, from 2010.
Not a very good game as it basically lacks any challenge (I guess it's more challenging using actual phone buttons to play, though, rather than a keyboard ), but I really like the pixel art... wish they would make a really good looking 2D JP game, something like the first one for SNES (really like that one).

Last edited by laffer; 17 March 2013 at 22:58.
Old 18 March 2013, 09:20   #2891
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I had an Apogee and Epic Megagames thing back in the day, I played most if not all games Multiplayer of possible. Even slightly more obscure games such as Radix Beyond the Void, and odd but great game to do with 2 people. Alas in Dosbox I couldn't manage to get sound out of it.
Old 18 March 2013, 09:59   #2892
laffer
Zone Friend

I was also into Apogee and Epic back then, and I still like their old games quite a bit.

Another game of theirs I used to like a lot is Jazz Jackrabbit, still have the CD version I bought very long ago now... I played through a few episodes of that recently, and for some reason I didn't really enjoy it all that much, not sure why exactly... the levels felt a bit bland and repetitive, maybe.

Anyway, I finished Keen 6 last night, it's definitely a good platformer, but the levels feel less creative which is why I prefer Keen 4.

I think I'll play Secret Agent next, and maybe Crystal Caves as well.

Last edited by laffer; 18 March 2013 at 13:37.
Old 18 March 2013, 11:09   #2893
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
blah blah ....
Thanks to my extra-sensorial powers, I can tell that you are planning to play Gex: Enter the Gecko real soon
Old 18 March 2013, 13:37   #2894
laffer
Zone Friend

Actually I have already played the first Gex several times, pretty cool game... I have the PC version, I even bought a sidewinder gamepad for it, I remember
Old 18 March 2013, 16:24   #2895
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The thing I love about Jazz (the first) the most is the music. Incredibly well done and moody. Other than that it is from a different time where fast movement and flashy colors was already enough to stun your brain into thinking its cool, we played dozens of incredibly similar games under that pretense and we never complained about things being "the same". I wonder since when I started to see that as something bad actually. Probably since the Doom explosion.
Old 18 March 2013, 17:53   #2896
Baboon
Moon Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post
I used to love playing that thing!! well worth the 20p

(or 10p for Goldenaxe)

I'd always prefer playing Donatello better range

I still can't believe they bothered to call them Hero turtles and not Ninja, what on earth did they think would happen?

Coincidently I'm currently playing, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Battle Nexus on the PS2 with my 2 kids

I got it as it reminded me of that Arcade machine.
I also used to love golden axe. There used to be a chippy near my school back in the day so a few of us would head that way at lunch time as they had golden axe and choplifter out the back (golden axe was very easy to complete but we still went back for more).

Regarding the turtles my fav would have to be Michelangelo with the nunchucks.

Good times!
Old 19 March 2013, 22:58   #2897
CrazyOne
TheCrazyDevil ;)

Hi all. Me and my husband just finished playing PANG. I really like that game, but some levels are impossibly hard to pass. In one level TCD was really desperate to plonk those bubbles with a big hammer.

hmmm...I wonder how it will be with me playing Rainbow Islands together...(I've never passed further than to first boss fight by myself ).
Old 19 March 2013, 23:08   #2898
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyOne View Post
Hi all. Me and my husband just finished playing PANG. I really like that game, but some levels are impossibly hard to pass. In one level TCD was really desperate to plonk those bubbles with a big hammer.

hmmm...I wonder how it will be with me playing Rainbow Islands together...(I've never passed further than to first boss fight by myself ).
I like pang but prefer oops up, but they are exactly the same really.

You need to play bubble bobble rather than rainbow islands (2 player) that way you can help tcd when he's struggling
Old 19 March 2013, 23:18   #2899
Rob 1
The Original Domainiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon View Post
I also used to love golden axe. There used to be a chippy near my school back in the day so a few of us would head that way at lunch time as they had golden axe and choplifter out the back (golden axe was very easy to complete but we still went back for more).

Regarding the turtles my fav would have to be Michelangelo with the nunchucks.

Good times!

Yeah golden axe was too short. A great game though.always had to be the dwarf

They used to edit the nuchucks out of the cartoon wtf!

I need an arcade machine in my life they sell ones with 8000 games on ebay which look ok.
Old 19 March 2013, 23:45   #2900
CrazyOne
TheCrazyDevil ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chat Rob 1 View Post
You need to play bubble bobble rather than rainbow islands (2 player) that way you can help tcd when he's struggling
Bubble Bobble I love that game. and I know that if there would be 2 player option for Turrican 2...well...go figure what would happen (TCD's one of most fav game).

hmm...need to do glassy eyes to convince my husband to play Jaguar together