English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 25 September 2010, 14:17   #101
s2325
Zone Friend

http://forums.lostlevels.org/viewtop...21fcab14112f57
Old 29 October 2015, 14:17   #102
TenLeftFingers

Are there any disks or disk images that just have music tracks on them? I have my Amiga connected to a speaker without a monitor and it would be cool to be able to use it like a hifi.

At the moment I'm playing intro music of games (Turrican 2, Lotus 2) since I can't see anything so it would be cool to have an 'album' on a floppy.
Old 29 October 2015, 14:56   #103
brett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenLeftFingers View Post
Are there any disks or disk images that just have music tracks on them? I have my Amiga connected to a speaker without a monitor and it would be cool to be able to use it like a hifi.

At the moment I'm playing intro music of games (Turrican 2, Lotus 2) since I can't see anything so it would be cool to have an 'album' on a floppy.
At one time, I had a disk that was just the music from Turrican 2....you could boot it up and get a menu with all the in-game music available to choose from.
Old 30 October 2015, 01:57   #104
ZEUSDAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombjacker View Post
One of the things that impressed me most when I first saw an Amiga was not just what I saw but what I heard! imagine being used to a Spectrum and then hearing something like Starglider! I know its a sample but it amazed me at the time! Some of my fav tunes are by Chris Huelsbeck, especially Turrican 2. Also the demo scene produced arguably some of the best tunes on the Amiga - better than most games! Other favs of mine are LED Storm, not really coz of the tunez but the excellent sound programming.

You may like this then
[ Show youtube player ]

Zeus.
Old 30 October 2015, 05:41   #105
TenLeftFingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett71 View Post
At one time, I had a disk that was just the music from Turrican 2....you could boot it up and get a menu with all the in-game music available to choose from.
Must take to the ftp and see what I can find. I want to avoid demos and am more looking for what you describe, which is more like an album
Old 28 April 2016, 04:06   #106
kyu.sawamura

I would suggest 9 Lives, S.T.U.N. Runner and Alien 3.

Old 29 April 2016, 21:21   #107
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Huelsbeck Follin and Iveson have my top ten filled up for games; wish one day my tunes were in the list...
Old 30 April 2016, 20:21   #108
Genlock
Out to Grass

I had floppies at one time that had a menu and you could choose a track from 10 that were stored on the disk, but alas they were left in the loft too long..
But one of my favourites was http://amp.dascene.net/analyzer2.php?idx=96088
Walking_on_jade

Good luck with your search

do your search here http://amp.dascene.net/newresult.php

Last edited by Genlock; 30 April 2016 at 20:31. Reason: checked url
Old 12 February 2017, 13:30   #109
Amigajay

Finally got around to putting all the Lemmings Amiga Tunes together in one YouTube video, all 69 unique tracks!

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 12 February 2017, 22:47   #110
commie1974
Amiga? What's that?!?

Best amiga tunes??
Anything by Karsten Obarski and Jochen Hippel. Period!!
Old 16 February 2017, 20:22   #111
Seiya

Hired Guns
Old 23 February 2017, 02:38   #112
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codetapper View Post
The good old days of 100k mods rather than a 20Mb mp3 file is another reason I think PC games are naff! Squeezing a kick-arse tune out of 100k of memory is just awesome! Anyway, some of my favourites (all from memory, some names maybe wrong!)

Chuck Rock (4Mat/Anarchy)
CJ's Elephant Antics (Allistair Brimble, great (small) chip tune!)
Final Fight (The Judge)
Harley Davidson (Kevin Collier)
Line of Fire (Uncle Art)
Lotus (all 3)
Project X (Allistair Brimble)
Qwak (Allistair Brimble)
SuperCars (both games) - Barry Leitch
Superfrog (Allistair Brimble)
Turrican (all 3 - Chris Huelsbeck)
Xenon 2 (Dave Whittaker)

Turrican 2 will probably be remembered by most Amiga guys as the best ever soundtrack for anything - that could be a movie soundtrack as far as I'm concerned, so many tunes and so suitable to each part of the game! Brilliant!
God collection.. Lotus for me as well..

I'm wondering if anyone who done got an Action Reply III even decided to rip some tunes together a.k.a (lotus intro, and all other games they have).. May be a good idea.

For some reason there is something just sounds better with Amiga music, than a PC that makes me go back to the Amiga as well as the other nostalgia stuff. Can't put my finger on it. Maybe it IS just nostalgia reasons.

or could be just "better" either way

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 23 February 2017 at 02:43.
Old 23 February 2017, 04:47   #113
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
Hired Guns
+1 for Hired Guns

Such a small comment almost gets lost among the general chatter. But I have distinct memories of being completely blown away by the overall quality of Hired Guns theme music the first time I played it. When friends came over to my house I just had to show them, and general consensus was that the music was pretty good.

Also my 1MB chip 2MB fast A500 was an adequate configuration to load the extra sound effects when run from floppy, despite the intro stating that it required 2MB chip.

Anyway, back on topic. Quartz has a pretty rocking theme tune, which is off by default, but can be toggled with the "M" key. It's only a short loop though, however I find I am able to 'get into the zone' much better with the music playing than the sound effects.
Old 13 March 2017, 15:43   #114
NorthWay

For early demo work I like mod.nightfall and an early tune by Mark II (that had some great drums and slides).

Last edited by NorthWay; 16 March 2017 at 00:17. Reason: found the 2nd song. edited twice now.
Old 21 March 2017, 13:45   #115
Toni Galvez

Here I share with you my all time favorite 150 Amiga themes, they are recorded by me, using Deliplayer 2 and mastered with Adobe Audition, it sounds better than never. Try to listen with your hearphones.

Get from here:
https://mega.nz/#F!MtsU2BoL!MZ6VgS90mRgtS5o8KrW_Ew
Old 29 March 2017, 21:30   #116
volvo_0ne

Personally I like these from an early & quirky Trackmo.

Real Empathy Mods By Virtual

Have a listen and see what you think.
Old 29 March 2017, 23:31   #117
scuzz

Desert Strike.. The co-pilot voiceover is a great intro to the music.

Hired Guns a big yay.

Dreamweb... Diary of a madman. Great intro that.

Alien Breed II ... The horror continues
Old 03 April 2017, 11:13   #118
Muadib

i can't believe you guys forgot Perihelion - The Prophecy!

I had the mods playing through my real Amiga last weekend and my girlfriend was like awed and scared as hell from the immersing film-like music!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Old 07 June 2017, 06:05   #119
AmigaSam

Hi everybody.
I have some questions for you.

I know that most of Amiga computers were considered 16-bit, but what about the music?

The RetroGameAudio blog writes: "Amiga uses 4 channels of 8-bit sample playback" and it clearly states that it is "8-bit music".

Anyway, it also states that "it doesn’t sound anything like the NES. This is because it is music that’s sample-based, making it more comparable to the SNES".

Do you confirm it?

If so, what about Amiga later computers? Did they continue to use 8-bit audio or did they improve it? I can't find any info on the net.

For example, the "Cannon Fodder" theme is a real song, with perfectly recorded human vocals. Was it possible with an 8-bit audio? (Sorry, I'm quite ignorant on this argument)

Please excuse me for my English, I know it's not good.

Old 07 June 2017, 06:44   #120
Gorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaSam View Post
Hi everybody.
I have some questions for you.

I know that most of Amiga computers were considered 16-bit, but what about the music?
Well the CPU, the 68000, was 32-bit internally from the start. And AmigaOS was also 32-bit from the very beginning. But the bus and the chipset were 16-bit first. Since AGA (1992) the chipset was 32-bit as well.

Quote:
The RetroGameAudio blog writes: "Amiga uses 4 channels of 8-bit sample playback" and it clearly states that it is "8-bit music".
Thats right. it means Paula, the sound chip, is 16-bit, but can only handle 8-bit samples and has a 8-bit DAC to produce analog sound. That is not as bad as one might think in the first place. But you can clearly hear the difference to 16-bit sound.

Quote:
Anyway, it also states that "it doesn’t sound anything like the NES. This is because it is music that’s sample-based, making it more comparable to the SNES".
Do you confirm it?
Yes. The sound is sample-based and there is no synthesizer as in the NES or the C64 SID.

Quote:
If so, what about Amiga later computers? Did they continue to use 8-bit audio or did they improve it? I can't find any info on the net.
Paula was never updated, so Amigas did never ship with better sound.
But there a quite some sound cards, that offer multi-channel 16-bit. A brand-new model for classic Amigas was just released last year, offering playback of mp3 and a bunch of other codecs.

Quote:
For example, the "Cannon Fodder" theme is a real song, with perfectly recorded human vocals. Was it possible with an 8-bit audio? (Sorry, I'm quite ignorant on this argument)
Yes - pure 8-bit sound. Not that bad, is it?
(with some tricks you can combine 2 channels to get something that equals 14-bit)