English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 19 January 2013, 22:09   #1
PJM

Anyone interested in a new GB1000 run?

Please read this whole post before PMing me or Kipper2k:

We now have permission from Geog Braun to manufacture some of his GBA1000 boards (Version 4)

This board will allow the indivision ECS flickerfixer to function among its many new features and bug fixes.

This board is a drop in replacement for the AMIGA 1000 motherboard and upgrades it with:

A 030 40 or 50mhz processor
An FPU
2 MB Chip Ram
8 MB Fast Ram
IDE Controller
Zorro II slot
ROM/EPROM slot for your own kickstart images

You are purchasing a blank PCB such as this one (image borrowed from illuwatar - another genius)

Kipper2k has managed to get a better quote than I have managed plus shipping is cheaper from Asia to the U.S than the UK.

What to pay and when
The initial outlay would be approx $46 per board with an aim to order at the end of February. Once they have arrived a final invoice would be presented for shipment to your country. We are aiming for a minimum of 30 boards (we now have over 90...). Monies will be collected March 7th.

Where do I get the components to populate the board?
Kipper has started a thread to help find the required parts collectively amongst the board builders:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=67619

No component is rare enough to cause us major issues. It will cost you between $150-$200 to make each board depending on how resourceful you are. You may achieve it for less.

So please state if you're interested.

Pre Order List:

Paid list is here:
http://www.kipper2k.com/gb1000.html

Update * Now everyone has seen the shipping options payment will be taken from March 3rd through to the 11th. You will pay $46 Canadian per board to kipper2k via paypal gift or plus $2 for standard protected whose address will be supplied. After the 11th of March no further pre orders will be available.

Paypal address will be supplied by the 3rd of March. When you do so, in the paypal info you need to include the username and the site you ordered from . Payment for shipping will be taken once the boards have arrived and you have decided how you want it shipped.*

To pay send Canadian $46 per board to kipper2k (insert the at @ sign around about here) mts.net with the above info.

My original text is below:

Quote:
The original run was a great success back in 2009ish. I've been after a board for ages but they are rare and I'm itching to do a new project.

I've been following the latest development of the board which is great but it won't be released, probably because of the authors feelings with regards to his work hitting Aminet.

I'm just interested to know if there is interest in doing a production run if I can get the time to organise this. (I serve in the RAF so my free time can fluctuate somewhat). I need to get hold of the eagle file and get some quotes but with 30 or more people it should come in under $100 US.

Yes I'm new here. I have had AMIGAs since 1992 but haven't contributed to the community in 10 years as I felt it was too obsessed with these PowerPC Amiga Ones etc. I'm glad there are so many people interested in the original Amiga hardware where we can carry on living those better times rather than throwing money at dead end PPC only machines (although Morphs OS is awesome).

My background is in electronic communications / ICT.

Last edited by PJM; 06 March 2013 at 22:59.
Old 20 January 2013, 00:42   #2
hese

I recommend querying interest also on amiga.org forum. May draw more attention.
Old 20 January 2013, 00:49   #3
PJM

They seem to spend a lot of time fighting on there but can be done!
Old 20 January 2013, 03:37   #4
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

I tried this awhile ago and the creator what not budge but if you
can do it I would want one I have a spare 1000 I bought
just in case I found one..

Name:  coffee.gif
Views: 5877
Size:  10.8 KB
Old 20 January 2013, 10:37   #5
PJM

The files seem to be out there, I'll contact the original author but from what I could see he had no issue with them being produced, just the fact the files had been uploaded to Aminet. We wont be able to get the new 060 version from him but the original 030 as produced last time is possible and is what we would aim for.
Old 20 January 2013, 16:41   #6
hese

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJM View Post
They seem to spend a lot of time fighting on there but can be done!
Maybe this project would steer them to something more fruitful.
Atleast a couple of guys were interested there a while ago and the last run on amiga.org was a success so definately worth a try.

Too bad the 060 version won't be possible.
Old 20 January 2013, 20:15   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Good luck with this project if it goes ahead!
Old 20 January 2013, 22:24   #8
PJM

I've posted on Amiga.org to see what peeps know so watch this space.
Old 21 January 2013, 07:52   #9
ws1968

Quote:
The original run was a great success back in 2009ish. I've been after a board for ages but they are rare and I'm itching to do a new project.

I've been following the latest development of the board which is great but it won't be released, probably because of the authors feelings with regards to his work hitting Aminet.

I'm just interested to know if there is interest in doing a production run if I can get the time to organise this. (I serve in the RAF so my free time can fluctuate somewhat). I need to get hold of the eagle file and get some quotes but with 30 or more people it should come in under $100 US.

Yes I'm new here. I have had AMIGAs since 1992 but haven't contributed to the community in 10 years as I felt it was too obsessed with these PowerPC Amiga Ones etc. I'm glad there are so many people interested in the original Amiga hardware where we can carry on living those better times rather than throwing money at dead end PPC only machines (although Morphs OS is awesome).

My background is in electronic communications / ICT.
I'm interested! I'll watch Amiga.org
Old 21 January 2013, 16:31   #10
billt

Quote:
The files seem to be out there, I'll contact the original author but from what I could see he had no issue with them being produced, just the fact the files had been uploaded to Aminet. We wont be able to get the new 060 version from him but the original 030 as produced last time is possible and is what we would aim for.
Is there a new 060 motherboard? I thought it was an accelerator plugging into the 030 socket?

There is discussion on amiga.org about making an "060 replacement", some advanced 680x0 in an FPGA softcore thing that plugs into 680x0 sockets. I'm sure an 030 socket PCB would be in order for that as well as the primary 060 socket version. (Rumor is the Natami N050 core may be open-sourced at some point, which may be good base, or the 020 TG68, and others claim to be working on their own core designs as well)

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63800
Old 21 January 2013, 19:37   #11
PJM

From the pictures on a1k.org it looked like the 060 is directly on the board.
Although FPGAs are great, nothing beats having the real hardware there.

Last edited by PJM; 21 January 2013 at 20:27.
Old 22 January 2013, 18:08   #12
billt

Quote:
From the pictures on a1k.org it looked like the 060 is directly on the board.
Although FPGAs are great, nothing beats having the real hardware there.
Heh. I don't know German to visit those sites, but it does seem thre is now an 060 GBA1000. Awesome! It also looks like people have ordered and got bare boards. I wish I'd have known about that. Is there still opportunity, or is that gone?
Old 22 January 2013, 21:41   #13
PJM

He only did 10 I believe but my German isn't great as I haven't lived there in 18 years. He will not release the files for it. They are all based on the Phoneix board and various add on boards that were done for it combined into one board. If the author doesn't give me permission I will start from scratch and do either an ATX format one or one based around an A2000 as they are pretty common and cheap.

A socketed AGA model isn't out of of the question but the boards would require more layers and be at least twice as expensive, but it would allow the from factor to shrink to Flex ATX size.

Last edited by PJM; 22 January 2013 at 23:00.
Old 22 January 2013, 21:50   #14
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
one based around an A2000 as they are pretty common and cheap.
This would be a good decision. Business-wise as well. It is probably a big box Amiga with the largest production numbers. It would be mighty nice to fill some of those boxes which had their mobos die
Old 22 January 2013, 23:00   #15
PJM

The business side isn't an issue as it would all be a not for profit project.

I must say I much admire kipper. The projects he sells cannot be far from the cost value considering he builds and tests them all. What keeps him going I do not know.
Old 23 January 2013, 00:21   #16
amiman99

Who will supply the needed PALs and GALs?
Old 23 January 2013, 07:52   #17
PJM

The supply is fine, it's the programming that's the issue.
Old 23 January 2013, 09:51   #18
tom256

Anyone know if there will be AGA version someday??
Old 23 January 2013, 11:33   #19
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
The business side isn't an issue as it would all be a not for profit project.
Well... not business-wise in a sense that you will earn millions
But in a sense that we can get much more interest with the A2000 version. It's easy to get a hold of a broken A2000. Much more than an A1000. Also generic PC cases might put off some people. So I think it's a safe bet that Amigans would prefer some new powerful hardware inside an A2000 case.
More interest means larger production runs (100 instead of 10), which means lower prices. And voila - good business for us all

Quote:
I must say I much admire kipper. The projects he sells cannot be far from the cost value considering he builds and tests them all. What keeps him going I do not know.
I think Kipps is Batman
Old 23 January 2013, 14:13   #20
PJM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom256 View Post
Anyone know if there will be AGA version someday??
This is possible but you would have to sacrifice an AMIGA 1200 and it would require a heat gun to remove the components. I would then place them in sockets for ease of building and diagnosis.

The biggest issue is that they are more complex, would require more layers and cost more $$$.

If I have to design my own and if theres demand I would try and do an AGA version. An AGA or AA design in an A2000 case, now that would be cool.