English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 08 March 2011, 23:34   #121
gilgamesh
Linux snob

A-EON mailed they want to ship X1000 with dual boot Linux and white cases. So at least there is some sign of life.
Old 09 March 2011, 01:04   #122
RMK

I thought that the Linux port was more of a way to test the functions of the board were operating properly. Wouldn't be surprised if Varisys were involved in the port in some way to confirm that everything on the board worked at their end Then it's up to Hyperion to get it all working with OS4 and if they have issues doing that, then that's their problem, not Varisys's.
Old 10 March 2011, 13:33   #123
AmigaFriend

Received this today on my inbox:

Quote:
from contact@a-eon.com
date 10 March 2011 05:57
subject [A-EON updates] Nemo revision 2 progress report

London, 10th March 2011

Following the AmigaOne X1000 Update article in the current edition of "Amiga Future" magazine we asked Adam Barnes, the Technical Director of Varisys, to provide an official Nemo progress report.

"From the horse's mouth"

We have had some problems with procurement of certain items for the revision 2 Nemo board which delayed our production plan by about 4 weeks. The situation was not helped either by the Chinese New Year celebrations. However, I'm pleased to report that these difficulties have now been overcome. We've had one remaining issue with supply of the onboard PC99 audio connector. The best delivery we could obtain for the existing connector type was a minimum order quantity of 10,000 pieces and a lead time of 12 weeks. We had an option for a direct replacement which has 6 jacks (enough for 5.1 analogue out) but unfortunately the Taiwanese supplier did not respond to our communications. Our alternative compromise plan was a triple jack which would support simple stereo audio out through the back panel, with header pins on the board to support 5.1 audio for users who want this feature. However, this was not our preferred option and eventually we managed to source an almost identical PC99 HD audio connector from an Italian company to satisfy our demand for all the Beta test boards.

We already have enough PA6T CPUs in hand and we have also secured supplies of the SB600 south bridge chip and various other long lead parts, with deliveries of all due on or before the 15th of this month, in sufficient quantities for the current schedule of revision 2 beta test boards. Typically, the production time from full kit to assembled boards is 10 days for small batches (the 5 off for approval). This timescale will be confirmed once the kit is issued out for build. The estimated lead time for the balance of beta test boards will be around 20-25 days based on standard PCB fabrication and assembly lead times.

Barnes also confirmed he was in the process of writing up a technical brief of the new dual-core XMOS subsystem. This will include a block diagram and pinouts so prospective end users can start working on the XMOS side of things.

A-EON Technology CVBA
Old 11 March 2011, 23:04   #124
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

I would maybe be interested in something based on the X1000 in a wedge case, Call it the X500 and sell it for €400 then i'd be in. The only way i'd even consider buying an X1000 would be if the Board gets sold seperately and I can use any old case to put it in (or buy the "official" parts individually too... they made a start with the keyboard, mouse and case).
Old 12 March 2011, 00:31   #125
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
I would maybe be interested in something based on the X1000 in a wedge case, Call it the X500 and sell it for €400 then i'd be in. The only way i'd even consider buying an X1000 would be if the Board gets sold seperately and I can use any old case to put it in (or buy the "official" parts individually too... they made a start with the keyboard, mouse and case).
Are you thinking about putting it inside an A1200/A500 case? Could that be possible?
They could sell some mb that way and I would preffer that than a new tower (but it would had to be cheap enough).
Old 12 March 2011, 00:40   #126
gilgamesh
Linux snob

I'd say €300, and they can sell it in a shoe box.
Old 12 March 2011, 00:45   #127
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I think they are selling stickers for that price...

EDIT: Hey, if it doesn't fit inside an A1200 we always can buy the Home-Theatre case to CUSA...
Old 12 March 2011, 15:54   #128
haynor666
retro maniac

Never
Old 12 March 2011, 19:14   #129
amiga_user

TheCyberDruid signature reads:

"i couldn't care less of any "future of the amiga". for me the amiga IS the past and that's why i use it. it's a great piece of gear from the past that i like to have fun with."
- skope, October 2010

I totally agree with Skope!
And I wonder, are there any sane persons who don't agree ?

Old 12 March 2011, 20:21   #130
MazinKaesar
Super Robot Pilot

I'm not interested in a next-gen Amiga. I'm only interested in retrogaming via emulation.
Old 12 March 2011, 22:50   #131
klx300r

very easily sold my Samflex@800 recently to make way for my new master miggy- X1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiga_user View Post
TheCyberDruid signature reads:

"i couldn't care less of any "future of the amiga". for me the amiga IS the past and that's why i use it. it's a great piece of gear from the past that i like to have fun with."
- skope, October 2010

I totally agree with Skope!
And I wonder, are there any sane persons who don't agree ?
hehe well I'm pretty sane except when my 3 and 6 year olds keep me up all night....all I can say to skope is I still have fun with my classics and I also love to play with a modern amiga to do things that my classics just can't
I'm buying a X1000 for many reasons but the main ones are:

1- I thankfully can(big thanks to A-Eon !)
2- I had such a great experience and more importantly alot of fun with my Samflex@800
3- Like my Samflex, I will have no problems at all selling it in the future if I need to do so (though I strongly doubt it)
4- I hate Apple as much as I love Amiga

Last edited by TCD; 12 March 2011 at 22:52. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Use the edit function.
Old 12 March 2011, 22:53   #132
phipscube
WipEout Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofan View Post
Are you thinking about putting it inside an A1200/A500 case? Could that be possible?
They could sell some mb that way and I would preffer that than a new tower (but it would had to be cheap enough).
Thats a fun idea! I wasn't really thinking that way, more like if they made a wedge system of their own... but if they do sell the mainboard seperately... hmm, maybe!
Old 12 March 2011, 23:25   #133
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Yes, that sounds a good idea, but so good idea as so good could be the mb price...
Wait a moment... surely all the necessary is mounted vertically, isn't it? Then forget the idea.

Last edited by Retrofan; 13 March 2011 at 21:57.
Old 13 March 2011, 16:34   #134
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipscube View Post
I think I'm of a similar opinion. If the complete unit costs around £400, or the PCB costs no more than £250, I'd be really interested in adding one to the collection.

I wouldn't for one moment think it would take the Amiga to a level of popularity it once had, but I'd have fun just tinkering around on it.

£1500 - sorry, far, far too much to me, but perhaps I can hope that these initial units could lead to some cheaper revisions further down the line.

Well, I can but hope.
Old 07 August 2011, 00:20   #135
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Two new X1000 pictures.

The engraved case front looks SWEEEET
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nemo_case1.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	29252   Click image for larger version

Name:	nemo_2_test.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	29253  
Old 07 August 2011, 00:55   #136
DonAmiga

cool feels like its getting closer
Old 07 August 2011, 03:00   #137
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Two new X1000 pictures.

The engraved case front looks SWEEEET
Hmmmm, where did that pic come from?
I did'nt post it.

EDIT:- Nevermind, I see its been posted by A-EON, .
Spose it had to be that one, as the other has my ugly mug reflected in it, .
Old 07 August 2011, 08:39   #138
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Hmmmm, where did that pic come from?
I did'nt post it.

EDIT:- Nevermind, I see its been posted by A-EON, .
Spose it had to be that one, as the other has my ugly mug reflected in it, .
FOL, you're too suspicious LOL
Old 07 August 2011, 14:52   #139
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
FOL, you're too suspicious LOL

Errmmmmmm!!! No comment, .
Old 07 August 2011, 16:34   #140
Siggy999

Bit too rich for my blood! I have a hard enough time squirreling the $$$ away to continue restoring my A2000.

Although I admire the spirit in which they're working to put out the machine, I honestly don't get this white knuckled grip on the ppc platform, nor the aversion to the cheaper (and faster) hardware available today. As has been mentioned even Apple has embraced this (even though they maintain their outrageous pricing in the form of brushed metal cases and other trivial bits n bobs).

You'd think that when launching something new you'd want to try and attract new customers, rather than targetting the quite small number of people with the disposable income to purchase it based on little more than nostalgic branding.

This was the same problem I had with the Sam boards - although I am quite interested in the new OS, and would be quite enthusiastic about sinking my limited free time into tinkering and developing my own software on it, the price locks me out - for a fraction of the price I could put together a system to run a dedicated UAE emulation over top of windows/linux or AROS.

Interested in where it's going? Sure... but I won't be following that trail.