Jope
-

Assembly Summer 2016 oldskool compo will accept Amiga entries

Hi!

The Assembly Summer 2016 oldskool compo will accept the following platforms:

- P133/ET6000/GUS
- A1200/060
- Falcon/060

Remote entries will most likely be accepted, keep yourself updated by visiting www.assembly.org .. then again why not fly to Finland for the full demo party + boozembly cliffs experience. :-)
Old 17 February 2016, 03:45   #2
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

So they call a 060/P133 old school? Huh...

It is as if the Assembly had forgotten that the demo scene did not begin with Second Reality.
Old 17 February 2016, 07:22   #3
Jope
-

Well, 1996 is 20 years ago now.

Assembly has not forgotten anything.. Pehu and Abyss both are still running the party and have seen it all. Perhaps some individual organizers weren't born yet when the C64 scene began, but that's not their fault. :-)

I've been the organizer of the oldskool compo at Assembly since 2007. If you dig through the archived ASM websites, you can see that the compo has ranged from very old school to mid school over these years, according to my whims and what the contestants have been whining about to me about.

Nevertheless, whatever I've done, hardly anyone has competed in the oldskool compo lately.. It's much nicer to complain. :-D One nice surprise was the Amiga year last year, we got a healthy amount of entries then.

Some say that Assembly is a lamer party, yet it's one of the main PC scene release parties of the summer.. Lots of good productions from that side. It's the vintage platform sceners who hate it. :-)
Old 17 February 2016, 16:24   #4
Amiga1992

I'm glad you keep this alive Jope, despite all the whining and low turnout of entries.
Old 17 February 2016, 18:00   #5
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
Well, 1996 is 20 years ago now.

Assembly has not forgotten anything.. Pehu and Abyss both are still running the party and have seen it all. Perhaps some individual organizers weren't born yet when the C64 scene began, but that's not their fault. :-)

I've been the organizer of the oldskool compo at Assembly since 2007. If you dig through the archived ASM websites, you can see that the compo has ranged from very old school to mid school over these years, according to my whims and what the contestants have been whining about to me about.

Nevertheless, whatever I've done, hardly anyone has competed in the oldskool compo lately.. It's much nicer to complain. :-D One nice surprise was the Amiga year last year, we got a healthy amount of entries then.

Some say that Assembly is a lamer party, yet it's one of the main PC scene release parties of the summer.. Lots of good productions from that side. It's the vintage platform sceners who hate it. :-)
You do have a point indeed, thanks for correcting me and for the efforts you put into it, there is not much you guys can do if no one is producing demos.
Old 17 February 2016, 18:57   #6
Jope
-

Thanks for the kind words. :-)

Don't worry, I made liberal use of smileys to try to convey that I'm not pissed off in the least.

Abyss actually once told me the words of wisdom: "You gotta consider if it's still fun." It's still fun for me every year, even though there are challenges and sometimes it feels a bit hopeless. Britelite is my co-conspirator there as the other oldskool orga, we're a good team together. Hopefully one day we'll find a winning formula for the oldskool compo, and I sure hope the Amiga will be a part of that formula. :-D
Old 17 February 2016, 21:13   #7
4mat_
Demoscene musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnlyCat View Post
So they call a 060/P133 old school? Huh...

It is as if the Assembly had forgotten that the demo scene did not begin with Second Reality.
except Britelite and a bunch of other oldskoolers are on the jury so yeah I think they do remember actually.
Old 18 February 2016, 00:18   #8
eXeler0

Maybe someone could sneak in a Vampire v2 demo ;-)
Old 18 February 2016, 03:09   #9
keito

I visited Assembly in Summer of 2007 after flying straight from Evoke in Germany, and participated in some compos, quite the event and venue, as the demosceners are in the minority there, they tend to stick together, which gives a really nice feeling to the event. For such a massive venue and event the organisers run a silky smooth ship. Also Finland is great, if you get a chance to go, GO!
Old 18 February 2016, 07:47   #10
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXeler0 View Post
As it wouldn't work on the A1200/060-setup, it would be pretty pointless to try. And who would make said demo?
Old 18 February 2016, 08:29   #11
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
As it wouldn't work on the A1200/060-setup, it would be pretty pointless to try. And who would make said demo?
I didn't say they would "compete" in any official category, did I? I'm just hoping that if someone shows up with an interesting piece of hardware isn't thrown out from that party.
As for "who"... well someone eager to show what the Apollo-core can do would be motivated. You can't force anyone into the demo scene, but someone eager to prove someone else wrong, usually works ;-)
Old 18 February 2016, 10:22   #12
Jope
-

Quote:
I didn't say they would "compete" in any official category, did I? I'm just hoping that if someone shows up with an interesting piece of hardware isn't thrown out from that party.
The security will pick people attempting to bring hw like that aside from the queue.. ;-)

Naturally they can compete if they like, real wild is the category.

Quote:
As for "who"... well someone eager to show what the Apollo-core can do would be motivated. You can't force anyone into the demo scene, but someone eager to prove someone else wrong, usually works ;-)
Yep, this someone needs to go make a demo about it. :-)
Old 18 February 2016, 18:11   #13
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post

Yep, this someone needs to go make a demo about it. :-)
Now, where are those TBL guys. ... 😆
Old 18 February 2016, 23:42   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Maybe someone should stick to plain a1200 or A500, plenty of things to discover and limitations to break on those machines.
Old 19 February 2016, 00:51   #15
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Maybe someone should stick to plain a1200 or A500, plenty of things to discover and limitations to break on those machines.
there are about a thousand A500 & A1200 demos out there and about... one.. Apollo-core demo..
By now we've seen a lot of impressive stuff being done on vanilla a500...
like this recent one
[ Show youtube player ]

It's not like these things are mutually exclusive though.. why do you feel we should not show what the new hardware is capable of and *instead* do yet another A500 demo? 😞
Old 19 February 2016, 00:55   #16
Amiga1992

About a thousand and all the same. AGA is barely scratched. Most AGA demos rely on accelerators. There aren't many plain A1200 demos out there.

Using an accelerator is the easy way out, pushing the limits of limited hardware is the oldschool demoscene way.

And hwy? because it's more interesting and groundbreaking to make a limited machine do more, than a less limited machine do it.
If you think something like Rink A Dink Redux is "just another A500 demo" I really have not much else to say.
Old 19 February 2016, 01:00   #17
eXeler0

Quote:
About a thousand and all the same. AGA is barely scratched. Most AGA demos rely on accelerators. There aren't many plain A1200 demos out there.

Using an accelerator is the easy way out, pushing the limits of limited hardware is the oldschool demoscene way.

And hwy? because it's more interesting and groundbreaking to make a limited machine do more, than a less limited machine do it.
Yes obviously, the limitations make things interesting, but that's just one aspect of it.
The Apollo-core is a new hardware platform that no one really knows what it's truly capable of until someone tries to push it. Also, it's still very limited compared to a modern PC.
I see no logic in refusing to see the system pushed to its limits with a demo tbh. You can still have your A500, A1200 demos and what not ;-)
Old 19 February 2016, 01:42   #18
Amiga1992

What do you mean "nobody knows what it can do"? It's an 040.
I'm dropping this pointless argument now.
Old 19 February 2016, 08:00   #19
eXeler0

Quote:
What do you mean "nobody knows what it can do"? It's an 040.
I'm dropping this pointless argument now.
First you insult the entire demo scene over the last 25 years or so then you call the Apollo-core "just a 040", ye it's a good time to quit. 😆
Old 19 February 2016, 08:07   #20
britelite

Quote:
First you insult the entire demo scene over the last 25 years or so then you call the Apollo-core "just a 040", ye it's a good time to quit. 😆
Where exactly did he insult the the entire demo scene?