English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 May 2011, 20:03   #1
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

SCART VS Scan doubler ond LCD TV

Are there any noticable differences and (dis)advantages with one solution VS the other ? Maybe something that isn't crossing my mind...
I'm talking about Amiga connected with LCD TV via SCART cable VS connection via scan doubler (VGA).
Old 19 May 2011, 20:35   #2
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Disadvantages via SCART :
  • Some LCDTV's do not like the Amiga's 240p/288p low res and the treat it as if it were 480i/576i. Results in some flickering.
  • The video scaler in an LCDTV is usually poorer than the best external video scaler. However some scandoublers don't have a video scaler
  • Only TV resolutions accepted. So 720x576i is maximum. VGA usually allows anything upto native panel resolution in progressive.

Disadvantage via VGA is that some LCDTV's and most LCD monitors don't accept 50Hz VGA input. So you either have to run in NTSC mode or perform scan rate conversion which kills smooth scrolling.

Most places will take back a TV with no fee, or if it is a big expensive TV... take your A600 in with you for testing, I would :-)

Last edited by alexh; 19 May 2011 at 20:40.
Old 19 May 2011, 21:14   #3
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Actually, I have A500, A600 and A1200 And a Sharp LCD TV which seems to be handling all resolutions very well. Still I have some strange issues (possibly dodgy SCART cable). SCART works only with A500 and A600, not A1200. But direct VGA (via RGB -> VGA adapter) works with A600 and A1200, not A500 It's a circus all right...

Now, I have plans to change my PC monitor (ViewSonic, classic 22" PC monitor) for a bigger all purpouse LCD TV, so I can use both screens with all machines. I have never seen a display connected via scan doubler, so basically I'm curious if the picture has more quality and/or is sharper. If it doesn't have such an advantage, then I'm just to pick a resolution-compatible TV. And that is where I will indeed take my A600 since it is the most convenient of the bunch

Thanx alexh for your detailed explanation. I guess I will go for the SCART connection at first, but eventually I will have to get a scandoubler for one of my Amigas to satisfy my curiosity

Last edited by Lord Aga; 19 May 2011 at 21:33.
Old 21 May 2011, 18:46   #4
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh View Post
Disadvantages via SCART :
  • Some LCDTV's do not like the Amiga's 240p/288p low res and the treat it as if it were 480i/576i. Results in some flickering.
  • The video scaler in an LCDTV is usually poorer than the best external video scaler. However some scandoublers don't have a video scaler
  • Only TV resolutions accepted. So 720x576i is maximum. VGA usually allows anything upto native panel resolution in progressive.

Disadvantage via VGA is that some LCDTV's and most LCD monitors don't accept 50Hz VGA input. So you either have to run in NTSC mode or perform scan rate conversion which kills smooth scrolling.

Most places will take back a TV with no fee, or if it is a big expensive TV... take your A600 in with you for testing, I would :-)
Pardon my hesitancy I should have looked at this thread before posting my own doh! I remember taking my Amiga into currys when PS2`s were all the rage, I had some strange looks when testing Jim Power out on their massive LCD screens