English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 07 July 2003, 14:22   #41
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

Quote:
Originally posted by andyr
I've just watched the beginning of Ferris Bulers day off on the Paramount Channel and it's definitely not an Amiga and it's most definitely not D-Paint on the screen.
Ah well, I havent seen the film for 10 years, it was an easy mistake to make.
Old 28 July 2003, 11:49   #42
EternalAmiga

Correct me if Im wrong as it's a long time since Ive seen this movie, but once when I saw a movie with Eddie Murphy and Nick Nolte (48 Hours? or Another 48 Hours?), Nolte is looking up something on a computer screen at the police station and I seem to remember thinking it was an A500
Old 23 August 2004, 19:31   #43
onkelarie

In an episode of Inspector Morse there was a scene where a computer was infected with a virus. It showed an Amiga 500 which ran a multimedia application with some silly animation...
Old 23 August 2004, 19:37   #44
wlcina

A many years ago I saw a film where was amiga500 with monitor and little guy scan images of his father and wanted killer. Trying to join images in amiga - images joins together and voila - father was a killer ;-) I dont know name of film sorry. But I had amiga in this time and I was very proud that amiga found killer ;-)
Old 24 August 2004, 18:19   #45
girv
Mostly Harmless

BBC soap East Enders had an A500 sitting in the background in one of the
characters flats for a while in the late 80's. He was an artist or graphic
designer as I recall, but I'm not sure if you ever saw the machine doing
anything.
Old 24 August 2004, 23:45   #46
Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Softy
Don't laugh at me like mean arses if I am utterly wrong with this one, guys, but I *think* that in the early stages of making Jurassic Park's dinos amiga where used... Is that true?
They were used for prototyping the dinosaur models - what you seen on screen was done (I believe) on SGI workstations.

And a few more...

The Gods Must Be Crazy (not sure if it was I or II) shows an Amiga (an A1000 or 2000 from memory).

Amigas were also extensively used by Disney. They were definately used to varying capacities during the production of Beauty and the Beast (and I think the Lion King) which probably also means they were used for Aladdin. I think they were also used for the TV animated series.

Amigas were also used in Doctor Who.

Canon (Australia) also used the Amiga in a series of adverts for some of their printers (I think it was an A1200 from memory.)
Old 25 August 2004, 07:07   #47
EmuChicken

Is there any chance you guys can upload film snippets / snapshots of these amigas being used? :-)

I went to Granada Studios in Manchester a few years back, and was amazed they were using an A500 w/ Scala to create subtitles for the UK soap, Coronation Street - You can "star" in a snippet of Coronation street and have your name in credits at the end ;-) shibby

Pretty obvious, but I remember Gamesmaster and a granada games show also showing off amiga, forgot what it was called now - is there anywhere we can download these shows? It'd be interesting if someone div-xed them :-)
Old 25 August 2004, 14:04   #48
tin

Not much but I remember going to the cambridge red studios about 6 year ago and seeing a 3000 with "anglia subtitles" stamped into it. Maybe all of anglia TV used amigas?
Old 25 August 2004, 14:42   #49
Galaxy

Australian Commodore and Amiga Review used to regularly print reader Commodore sightings in the mag.

Here are some:

Vol7(3)

- Game Set and Match (BBC spy drama): A2000 spotted - used in the MI5 records vault. Superbase Professional was spotted running on the machine.
- Association of Certified Accountants (advert) : A1000 spotted - unqualified accountant switched it off.
- Christian Television Association (advert) : A2000 spotted. Ad also featured animation created on the Amiga
- Betrayal (Movie) : A1000 spotted - used to access white supremist BBS.
- The Henderson Kids (TV series) : A1000 often used by one of the characters.
- Days of Our Lives (TV series) : C64/1541 disk drive spotted in airport terminal office.
- Deep Star Six (movie) : 1084 monitor spotted.

Vol7(6)

- Neighbours (TV series) : A500 and C64 spotted
- Blindside (video) : A1000 spotted

I can continue to go through these and add to this thread if people are interested...

Also, a little off-thread, but you may (or may-not) be interested know that there was a souped up Amiga 3000 w/ Video Toaster at the heart of those VR arcade machines that were around in the 90s.
Old 25 August 2004, 18:32   #50
§ane

Here be my awesome contribution to this thread.

Alien Syndrome, an obscure 'B' sci-fi horror flick, and although I did extract some enjoyment out of the film, in this case 'B' does actually represent the adjective bad, which probably is the one reason I can only find information on the computer game with the same name, or maybe it's that I recall the title wrong, no, I don't think that's it.

Down to business now, during this movie I saw what would have been an A500 on a desk in one of the lab rooms, and one embedded in the console of a particle accelerator, the KS 1.x Workbench screen with familiar blue background is also within view.

Last edited by §ane; 25 August 2004 at 21:44.
Old 06 November 2004, 16:00   #51
Jim

Old C4 documentary I taped about hacking called "Walk On The Wild Side" had a KS2 Amiga being used to phreak. I even remeber decoding the number that they dialed from rewinding and listening to the audio tones over and over again For those interested it was a 0800 Hawian Card Calling number.

Old 06 November 2004, 19:43   #52
Oxygene

Star Trek IV from http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0092007/trivia :

"The computer that Scotty uses to show transparent aluminum was originally going to be an Amiga, but Commodore would only provide a computer if they bought it. Apple was willing to loan them the Mac."

That has something to say about Commodore marketing "experts"...
Old 06 November 2004, 23:21   #53
andyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by girv
BBC soap East Enders had an A500 sitting in the background in one of the
characters flats for a while in the late 80's. He was an artist or graphic
designer as I recall, but I'm not sure if you ever saw the machine doing
anything.
Nah, it was a CPC (can't remember if it was a 464 or 6128 - I think it was a 464 though) with a green screen monitor. I can remember a christmas episode where the computer was displaying 'MERRY CHRISTMAS' in mode 0 graphics mode.

The character was Colin and he was a gay graphic designer - the fact he was gay brought great publicity to the soap!
Old 07 November 2004, 15:03   #54
mcbpete
Zone Friend

Send a message via MSN to mcbpete Send a message via Yahoo to mcbpete
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmuChicken
I went to Granada Studios in Manchester a few years back, and was amazed they were using an A500 w/ Scala to create subtitles for the UK soap, Coronation Street - You can "star" in a snippet of Coronation street and have your name in credits at the end ;-) shibby
Yeah, I remember doing that about 10 years ago and I think I still have the tape. I remember it looking really really awfull
Old 07 November 2004, 17:43   #55
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyr
Nah, it was a CPC (can't remember if it was a 464 or 6128 - I think it was a 464 though) with a green screen monitor.....The character was Colin and he was a gay graphic designer - the fact he was gay brought great publicity to the soap!
It is a bit gay owning the wonderful CPC464, but then using it with a green screen

Old 08 November 2004, 14:02   #56
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
One episode in Miami Vice with a nutty ex-cop in it used Lorraine. Wasn't it the earlier Amiga-prototype or what?
Old 08 November 2004, 14:33   #57
oldpx

Are you sure it was lorraine? Lorraine certainly does not look like a computer

Old 08 November 2004, 19:23   #58
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
It was called Lorraine in that episode. A pre-Amiga methinks. Doesn't look like a computer? Have a look here moran : http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/ck.../lorraine.html
Old 08 November 2004, 19:52   #59
oldpx

It looks like the guts of jackie chan's car from the cannonball run

Old 08 November 2004, 20:42   #60
Frog

In France, for a long time the channel TV M6 use Amiga for their commercial break jingle's.
Hugo was also showned on channel FR3 with Karen Cherryl
i think Amiga were used in the "background" of lot of others productions