English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 19 March 2010, 03:08   #1
Amiga1992

Roctec Rocslim repair: how to?

Hey guys,

My Rocslim drive bit the dust with the most common problem ever: the drive belt broke down.

Now I have replaced the belt inside a Panasonic MSX computer drive, but this piece of shit... I don't even know where the belt is supposed to go through.

has anyone fixed one of these? I already have the replacement belt, all I need is to know HOW i crack it open completely, and WHAT is the path the belt does. Anyone with a working Rocslim drive can surely give me a hand with this by taking some pictures.

Thanks guys.
Old 19 March 2010, 09:38   #2
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
has anyone fixed one of these?
I did a bunch of these, bought the belts from a Sam Coupe dude in the UK.

Take the metal cover off the mechanism, then look at the mounting bracket for the motor.. It's held on with two screws (one of the screws holding it down also held down the metal cover, so you removed it before). Take the bracket off and start installing the belt.

Loop one end of the belt around the platter that spins the disk hub. Then close to the platter, you can see a little shiny metal bearing sticking up from the circuit board. Both sides of the belt go on the same side of the bearing. Then the remaining loop goes around the motor's spindle.

If you put the belt on the wrong side of the bearing, you'll realise it in an instant when fitting the motor bracket back on, as the bearing will not take part in the running of the belt at all in that case.

Last edited by Jope; 19 March 2010 at 09:45.
Old 19 March 2010, 10:59   #3
Jurbo

Hey, I also have a slim extra drive missing a belt. Mine is called Citizen RF 332 C, but I'm pretty sure it's the same drive as the Rocslim.

Do you, Jope, know a place in Finland where I could get a new belt?
Old 19 March 2010, 13:08   #4
Jope
-

No, but I know a place in the UK where you could get one.

Your drive is actually a Roctec RF-332C and the mechanism inside is a Citizen UODC 12A.

www.samcoupe.com will sell you the belt, the prices are quite reasonable in my opinion.

You could also take the old belt with you to Partco or SHP, but at least Partco didn't seem to stock the correct length in their catalogue.
Old 19 March 2010, 19:56   #5
Amiga1992

Mine has a Citizen too, I believe.
Thanks for that tip Jope, I will try to install the belt today!
The problem with taking the old belt is that it's usually too worn out to measure it.
Old 20 March 2010, 09:05   #6
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Mine has a Citizen too, I believe.
Thanks for that tip Jope, I will try to install the belt today!
The problem with taking the old belt is that it's usually too worn out to measure it.
Ok..

Ah, I forgot something from my writeup above. You need to remove the bracket that carries the disk inside the mechanism.

This is done by first taking out the eject button, then pushing the metal nub of the eject button in a bit more than it'd go with the plastic button in place, so that the bracket is freed from the catches in the chassis of the drive.

A bit difficult to explain, but once you have it in your hands, you should get the hang of it.
Old 20 March 2010, 22:40   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

For more information on the availability of RF-332 belts, see this thread:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=50077
Old 22 March 2010, 00:14   #8
Amiga1992

As usual with my attempts to fix something, now the drive doesnt work even after replacing the belt

The motor cable came off and I soldered it back and I see teh belt moving when I isert a disk, but the drive head doesn't go anywhere and the disk is not recognized.

Maybe I disconnected somethg?
Old 22 March 2010, 09:04   #9
Jope
-

Could be. Didn't experience that myself, so no idea. The bracket is a bit fiddly to get back on, are you sure all parts of it went into the right place?
Old 23 March 2010, 14:16   #10
Jurbo

I already sent mail to the Samcoupe.com guy. Hopefully he'll get back to me soon.

My drive has been away in the closet for a couple of years now, after trying to clean the belt without success (I guess it was just too dried up and stretched to be of use anymore). Personally, I did find it pretty easy to remove and re-insert the belt. I admit it does require some acrobatics with small screwdrivers, though.

Well, I hope I'll get the drive to work as it does have some sentimental value (I bought it new back in 1991 or so). I also like the slim form factor.
Old 28 March 2010, 05:51   #11
Amiga1992

damn this pisses me off. i cant see what it is. the drive recognizes the disk insertion as it opens the lid and spins it for a split second, however t is never recognized as inserted.

where is the disk insertion detection mechanism? perhapsi disconnected that.
Old 28 March 2010, 08:51   #12
Jope
-

It is just a little switch, usually near the read/write detection switch.
Old 28 March 2010, 13:34   #13
JLPedro
JLPedro

I Also have a Roctec 382CIV - Citizen UODC-45A, the belt on mine is fine but once WB boots i get df1:?? , df2:?? e df3:??. Insertng a disk the drive spins and the head tries to read but nothing changes. I cleaned the drive and the head.
Old 28 March 2010, 15:40   #14
Jope
-

There's an electrical problem if the drive answers on all drive selects.
Old 07 April 2010, 20:57   #15
Jurbo

Hey, I just want to share the joy of finally getting my RF332C to work! Colin from samcoupe.com sent me the belts within a day from receiving my payment, but the damn mail spent two weeks flying my belts around the world before delivering them to me...

The installation went like a breeze (the belt is not very tight at all, actually), and after some mandatory XCopy testing, my drive works as well now as it did back in 1991 when I bought it new. I'm very happy with the resurrected drive!

Thanks to Jope for pointing me in the right direction!
Old 07 April 2010, 22:44   #16
Amiga1992

I still dont know whats wrong with mine I gotta check again.
Old 07 April 2010, 23:21   #17
JLPedro
JLPedro

Well i really don't know were to look or the right tools to find the faulty part so i'll just leave it alone for now....
Old 08 April 2010, 09:30   #18
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLPedro View Post
Well i really don't know were to look or the right tools to find the faulty part so i'll just leave it alone for now....
Replace the 74xx series ttl chips in the controller board. And by controller board, I mean the one that has the DB23 port and the thick round cable that plugs into the computer.
Old 11 April 2010, 10:36   #19
caver99

Just a quick update about drive belts in the UK as i have just repaired my drive with a belt i got for a Spectrum +3 / Amstrad / PCW 3" drive and it is working perfect you can get them from CHS

http://www.chsinteractive.co.uk/elec...al-purpose.htm

There code is VID7092 @ £1.49 each.

Graham
Old 12 April 2010, 15:28   #20
jolly11

a little OT but regarding roctec rocslim: I have one, disk drive doesn't work and I'd like to replace, but is required 26-pin disk drives.
Is it possible to modify it to accept normal disk drives?