English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 January 2016, 19:57   #1
intric8
AmigaLover

Trouble reading (some) installed games to HDD

Hi Everyone,

First-time post here. I have an A1200 with an ACA 1221 and 4GB CF HDD.

I have successfully installed (and I have been playing) Eye of the Beholder and Black Crypt - no problems whatsoever.

However, something odd is going on and I'm pretty sure it isn't the games. Last night I installed Syndicate from floppies to my Games partition. Installation went flawlessly. However, after a reboot, I tried to launch the game and I see the "choose your language" screen. I select English and it goes to a Bullfrog screen and hangs. If I click that logo, the game crashes and I get something like "bad loadfile hunk". Something about trying to load the intro totally kills it (I have 2MB graphics memory and 9MB RAM).

I wonder if there is some sort of driver the CF HDD needs to read this data properly?

Additionally, I also have the original disks for Heimdall 2. I get a similar issue when it tries to find the data installed from Disk 1 - again, playing off an installation from the original floppies. With Heimdall, I am able to play off the floppies fine. But if I install the game (which you really have to do to play or you slowly go insane) it won't work.

If I try to play Syndicate off the floppies, it plays the amazing intro like it should.

Any ideas on that odd error I'm seeing? And why it is happening to more advanced/newer games, but not older ones? Thanks

Last edited by intric8; 31 January 2016 at 05:07.
Old 30 January 2016, 20:25   #2
SkulleateR

The original installs are allways some kind of adventurous ... try to install it with WHDLoad ...

I remember trying to install Syndicate several times (from the original) and I gave up on it ....
Old 30 January 2016, 20:34   #3
Arnie
R.I.P Smudge 18-08-16

Check that the 'MaxTransfer = 0x1fe00' on the CF HD

Click 'Advanced' then 'Change' in HDToolBox to check it.

As Skulleater has said, use WHDLoad to Install the games from floppy or download the pre-installed games from whdownload dot com.
Old 30 January 2016, 20:38   #4
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Syndicate has a good installer. I have installed and played the game numerous times.

It is most likely max transfer issue as Arnie has suggested.
Old 30 January 2016, 20:50   #5
intric8
AmigaLover

Thanks everyone. I'll try this approach and post the results.
Old 30 January 2016, 22:00   #6
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Be sure to press the Enter key after you type in the new max transfer value. If you just type it and click ok it will not be saved.
Old 31 January 2016, 01:43   #7
intric8
AmigaLover

Well, that didn't work unfortunately.

I fired up HDToolBox and changed the max transfer rate for both DH1 and DH0. Previously, the rates were set to 0xfe0000. I did as you suggested and switched both to 0x1fe00. Pressed 'Enter' before clicking OK. I even rebooted and went back in to confirm the settings held, which they did.

But launching Syndicate still produces the same error.

I should also mention that I've got 2 sets of Syndicate install disks. They both do the same darn thing. I hear you guys with WHDLoad - trying to get it to work off the original disks, and I'm really scratching my head on this one. Both sets install all the way through with no issues. Just for fun I tried to launch using French instead of English, but it didn't make a difference.

Last edited by intric8; 31 January 2016 at 02:05.
Old 31 January 2016, 01:59   #8
intric8
AmigaLover

I'll try reinstalling the game - perhaps the files were corrupted originally.
Old 31 January 2016, 02:07   #9
intric8
AmigaLover

Reinstalling with the new max-transfer rate seems to have worked! Thank you so much @Arnie and @Lord Aga!

Woo hoo!
Old 31 January 2016, 07:57   #10
Jope
-

Good that you got it working. For some future soul who comes here searching, the corruption was done when the files were written with the wrong max transfer size, hence fixing it will not undo the damage, you will have to rewrite the files.
Old 31 January 2016, 11:01   #11
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Told ya Syndicate has a bullet proof installer. Once you installed it with the right max transfer values everything is going to be ok.

Enjoy the game bro !