English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 February 2012, 19:08   #1
tech3475

Need advice before I screw up my Amiga 1200

I recently decided to resurrect my Amiga 1200 (w/ 2GB HDD, 8MB RAM and KS3.1) after discovering classicwb, but I discovered that the internal floppy drive is not working.

What happens is that when I insert a disk it spins but the head doesn't seem to move (single click at the most) and disks appear as df0???

My current plan is to open up the drive and clean the drive with white spirit on an earbud.

Is this ok or is there something else I should do?

Also, I know this is a hardware board but I don't want to spam the site, I also plan to insert a larger 50GB drive I've been recently given with no other use for.

The partition layout I may use is:
classicWB-500MB
WB3.1- 50mb
WB3.5- 100mb
WB1.3- 10MB
work- 3GB
Games- whatever's left

I have looked up what to do through the classicwb site but my concerns are:
1. Will WHDload be affected by the large partition due to kickstart emulation
2. Will any boot disks not cause corruption as long as I don't touch the Games partition?

BTW, I know that having the other WB versions is a bit redundant but them so I might as well use them.

Thank You.

Old 14 February 2012, 12:08   #2
tech3475

update:

Ok, I decided to try cleaning the drive and it still doesn't work, I've looked to aligning it but I can't find the sensor board.

The drives a TEAC FD-135F, does anyone know where the sensor board is or how to align it?

Old 14 February 2012, 18:06   #3
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
update:

Ok, I decided to try cleaning the drive and it still doesn't work, I've looked to aligning it but I can't find the sensor board.

The drives a TEAC FD-135F, does anyone know where the sensor board is or how to align it?
Did you clean and greese the head movement mechanism? The greese gets thick and causes the heads to not move very well. I've seen the problem many times.
Old 14 February 2012, 19:51   #4
tech3475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Cruse View Post
Did you clean and greese the head movement mechanism? The greese gets thick and causes the heads to not move very well. I've seen the problem many times.
I haven't tried that, any recommendations on how to clean it and what grease to use?

Old 15 February 2012, 17:49   #5
Ed Cruse

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech3475 View Post
I haven't tried that, any recommendations on how to clean it and what grease to use?
I don't exactly know how the drive you are working with is built, but the drives I messed with had two chrome rods that the whole head mechanism slide back and forth on, and the head motor-drive used a long screw drive to position the head mechanism. It looked like the original greese on both were a graphite type. I cleaned as much of the old greese as I could with a lintless swab and alcohol. Then greesed with a graphite greese. I would think that any reasonable thin greese would work, but I'm not an expert on drive greese.

What kept happening to my drives was the greese would get thick and anytime the heads tried to go to either extreme the heads it would get stuck. I bought and replaced the drives until I learned I could clean them and save a lot of money. I was working with two systems with 11 Amigas each, when I started having problems they all went pretty much at once. Cleaning and greesing saved a lot of money.

Good luck, I hope this helps.
Old 15 February 2012, 20:46   #6
tech3475

Thanks.

BTW, I also soughted out the HDD while I was trying the FDD (decided to risk it), I ended up using NSD, SFS and fixhddsize and it seems to work fine.