English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 11 December 2009, 03:43   #1
IntrepidX

In search of frontends...

Hi, I'm new to Amiga emulation, and I have virtually no idea how to go about optimizing my configuration settings. I'm running Windows Vista 64bit and I'm using WinUAE 1.6.1, and to my knowledge I have all the kickstarts/etc that I need for setting up the emulator.

I'm looking for a frontend (or perhaps several, if needed) that can solve my configuration issues for me. Unfortunately, lemonade is reportedly incompatible with Vista, and I haven't found any viable alternatives through google searches. Does anyone have any idea where I could find a decent frontend? Or, failing that, a tutorial that deals explicitly with configuring 1.6.1 (there's tutorials aplenty for the earlier versions, but they're not much help)?

Old 11 December 2009, 03:53   #2
Marlon

What config issues are you having? There are tutorials, such as at - http://mameworld.info/easyemu/winuae...uae-guide.html. It's outdated in that it refers to winUAE's old GUI, but it's enough to get you off and running.

Or I can upload my configs to the zone if you like. You'd need to change the roms paths in 'em, but then you'd be good to go.
Old 11 December 2009, 06:09   #3
IntrepidX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
What config issues are you having? There are tutorials, such as at - http://mameworld.info/easyemu/winuae...uae-guide.html. It's outdated in that it refers to winUAE's old GUI, but it's enough to get you off and running.

Or I can upload my configs to the zone if you like. You'd need to change the roms paths in 'em, but then you'd be good to go.
Just figuring out what specs to use, while keeping the game speed and graphics/sounds as high-quality as possible. I have no idea what 80% of the sliders and buttons do, only that my emulation seems to be slower than it should be and the sound isn't coming in very well either.

Rather than mess with the controls haphazardly, I'd like to use some preset settings (or have someone more knowledgeable than I show me what to do).

The link you posted looks useful though. I'll try the suggestions there, and hopefully get everything working properly. Thanks!

Old 11 December 2009, 06:12   #4
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntrepidX View Post
I'm looking for a frontend (or perhaps several, if needed) that can solve my configuration issues for me. Unfortunately, lemonade is reportedly incompatible with Vista, and I haven't found any viable alternatives through google searches.
The one and only, GameBase Amiga.
Old 11 December 2009, 09:24   #5
IntrepidX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Nice! But this has led me to a new problem. I've got the frontend fully installed, but whenever I try to play a game on there, WinUAE brings up the white "Workbench 1.3" screen...and just sits there. No sign of loading a game at all.

Either my system is exceedingly slow, or I'm forgetting something. This little snippet was at the bottom of the post-install walkthrough...could this be the cause?

"Only supported games and kickstarts will be recognised and these must have certain names and must be in certain locations. To do this ClrMamePro and RomCenter dats will be supplied with instructions on how to use them. These dats can be downloaded from http://gbamiga.elowar.com"

Apparently that site has had a meltdown recently, and I couldn't find the indicated files there.

One way or another, I will get back to playing Amiga games again...even if it takes till next year to get the bloody emulator working.

Old 11 December 2009, 11:40   #6
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Nice! But this has led me to a new problem. I've got the frontend fully installed, but whenever I try to play a game on there, WinUAE brings up the white "Workbench 1.3" screen...and just sits there. No sign of loading a game at all.
Have you scanned your kickstarts in WinUAE? Go to the path panel and click on 'Rescan ROMs'. See if at least A500, A600 and A1200 are reported as available. Can you name one or two games you try to start via Gamebase?
Old 11 December 2009, 14:22   #7
Jonathan Drain

I've written a guide, How do I configure WinUAE? Let me know if it's helpful.
Old 11 December 2009, 20:24   #8
IntrepidX

Quote:
Originally Posted by plankton View Post
What is your hardware?
Windows Vista 64bit
Intel Core2 Duo CPU T6500, 2.10 Ghz
4Gb of RAM
I don't know the specs for my graphics card. It's built in to my laptop, which is fairly new, so I assume it shouldn't be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Have you scanned your kickstarts in WinUAE? Go to the path panel and click on 'Rescan ROMs'. See if at least A500, A600 and A1200 are reported as available. Can you name one or two games you try to start via Gamebase?
Hm. It detects "A500 Boot ROM 1.3", but nothing else.

I've tried to start "Emerald Mine" and "Live and Let Die."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post
That does look helpful. I'll give it a shot a little bit later when I've got some more free time.

Old 11 December 2009, 20:29   #9
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Hm. It detects "A500 Boot ROM 1.3", but nothing else.

I've tried to start "Emerald Mine" and "Live and Let Die."
Both should work with 1.3. I guess it's the same problem as in this thread : http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=609186#post609186 (and many before).
Old 12 December 2009, 03:24   #10
IntrepidX

Alright, I think I've finally got it all sorted out. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Old 19 December 2009, 20:25   #11
Vicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
or eCC
Old 08 January 2010, 18:31   #12
clownstyle

I recently re-found my love for all things Amiga. Had the same issue as you for a few days, had my old setup of preinstalled whdload games on a hard drive file.

Then I discovered gamebase. Blown my mind, now driving my mates crazy because I keep going on about it!
Old 09 January 2010, 21:26   #13
Emu Amiga
Super dooper Amiga fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Drain View Post

Nice guide, I found some useful information that I thought I knew Kudos to you
Old 24 April 2010, 14:38   #14
asymetrix

There is a nice Game front end called AmiGame - some people should try it - very easy to configure.

http://www.amigame.fr/index.php?opti...id=5&Itemid=27