English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 18 May 2018, 22:10   #101
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah of course it is worse, because you will be forcing legit newcomers to INPUT THEIR CREDIT CARD?PAYMENT DETAILS INTO A FORUM and have the administrator deal with the HUGE responsibility of that. Also can you not imagine the backlash? And RCK has to implement an "ecommerce/payment" system just for this shit?? And what happens if that system gets compromised and data leaked??
There is already a donate link so the structure is there anyways...

Quote:
How many times in your life have you input payment data to get post access a forum?? Have you even seen anything like that which doesn't offer access to ographic or illegal shit or other shady stuff like that?
But everyone knows EAB is p0rn

Come on, Akira, I wasn't too serious with that suggestion, m'kay
Old 18 May 2018, 22:40   #102
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Guys, I definitely think it's time that new members' posts need to be moderated / approved by GMs first before showing in the forum... say their first 5 posts or something like that.

Yes it's more work for GMs; as said previously, better than the current alternative...

...but I think we also need some new GMs. At the moment it's really only myself, CodyJarrett and lilalurl

In March Graham Humphrey stepped down as a GM and is now a Moderator instead. BippyM threw in the towel the other day due to work / family commitments. DH, PortuguesePilot and prowler are all having major personal issues which I won't disclose.
Well several of us have volunteered, you've no shortage of people wanting to help nip this in the bud.
Old 18 May 2018, 23:21   #103
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Well several of us have volunteered, you've no shortage of people wanting to help nip this in the bud.
DamienD is referring to having more active global moderators rather than people helping in this particular task (for which there is no structure, I believe, to let this happen, no "spam posts moderator" position/system. Maybe that's the first step).
Old 18 May 2018, 23:56   #104
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Thanks Phil and the others who have also spoken up and are willing to kill this outbreak

Unfortunately I can't do anything and am not just ignoring the dialogue in this thread. Thing is, at the moment Moderators can't even assist with this. From the years of being a GM and having access to the related tools in order to undertake various actions / functions / etc, it's just not possible to assign members / group a single task.

RCK is the man and will advise. If after the latest upgrades it is now possible somehow then awesome.

Quote:
DamienD is referring to having more active global moderators rather than people helping in this particular task (for which there is no structure, I believe, to let this happen, no "spam posts moderator" position/system. Maybe that's the first step).
No not really; 3 of us can survive. There's been times over the past 3 years that it's just been me and prowler

Being a GM isn't easy and requires a lot of work / hours; but if we have a full team then it makes a big difference.

You know all the above from previous experience though

I wouldn't expect anyone to step up to this role, but if you're willing then I'm always here to help you / questions.
Old 20 May 2018, 16:56   #105
Ian
Global Moderator

Well, done it before, will do it again if RCK wants. Not like I'm busy at work lol
Old 20 May 2018, 19:55   #106
DamienD
Banned

Great Ian, send RCK and me a PM
Old 20 May 2018, 22:57   #107
mcgeezer

I'd be willing to help also, not sure what the time expectations would be.

I've ran my own vbulletin board years ago so pretty much know the ropes, also very proficient at PHP but have never built a plugin for vbulletin.

From the looks of it those accounts are spam (automated account creation), so I'd be looking at the security of the VB installation - recaptcha would definetely hit the low hanging fruit.

One suggestion could be to have a link to the HOL database where a new user has to "identify the game" from screen shots. If they get it wrong 3 times then they are put into a quarantine area awaiting moderation.

The spam really pisses me off as well.

Geezer

Last edited by mcgeezer; 20 May 2018 at 23:04. Reason: Clarified spam
Old 20 May 2018, 23:34   #108
gulliver
BoingBagged

I have said it before, and also offer to help in any way. I do enjoy enjoy EABĀ“s atmosphere and I wish to keep it going the way it is, and it sounds selfish from me not offering doing something to keep this status quo.

I am not an expert in moderation, but I can always learn something new, and contribute in a positive way. As I see it, the more eyes, the better.
Old 21 May 2018, 09:38   #109
SteveMoody

I used to use https://www.stopforumspam.com/ on a small forum several years ago. While it didn't stop all the spam it did seem to cut it down quite a bit.

They do have a module for vBulletin 3.8 available but it's marked as legacy and is not under active development.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:45   #110
RCK
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMoody View Post
I used to use https://www.stopforumspam.com/ on a small forum several years ago. While it didn't stop all the spam it did seem to cut it down quite a bit.

They do have a module for vBulletin 3.8 available but it's marked as legacy and is not under active development.
This is interesting! It's also used by xenforo by default.
I have added the plugin to check every new registration with vbStopForumSpam database, let's see if it reduce the fake account

If it's not enough, we will activate one kind of "new member validation team" mission.
Old 21 May 2018, 14:59   #111
DamienD
Banned

Perfect, many thanks RCK
Old 21 May 2018, 19:24   #112
Ian
Global Moderator

OK, so our new feind, qyvowok, has already show that stopforumspam is not going to help much.

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=92538
Old 21 May 2018, 22:03   #113
RCK
Administrator

Old 22 May 2018, 00:03   #114
Ian
Global Moderator

I guess some people click the links, so we are now on Spammers radars as a bunch of saps.

Anyway, I guess if something is out there to stop spammers, spammers will have found a way to avoid it after a period of time.

Must be a lot of money in it.
Old 22 May 2018, 15:24   #115
DamienD
Banned

This new account looks suspicious: Mymbaa1102

...I should probably just ban to be safe.

Yup, done
Old 22 May 2018, 15:31   #116
meynaf
son of 68k

Beware of having easy trigger, you might one day shoot someone legit...
Old 22 May 2018, 15:36   #117
DamienD
Banned

I think all us GMs can now pretty much spot spam accounts, there's a definite pattern / naming convention

...and even if it is a mistake; the person can create another one so no big deal.

Better than having them spam the board.
Old 22 May 2018, 15:57   #118
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
I think all us GMs can now pretty much spot spam accounts, there's a definite pattern / naming convention
I hope for your sake that no true user will accidentally fall on using the same convention...

Quote:
...and even if it is a mistake; the person can create another one so no big deal.
That person will start by getting pissed off and won't have much of a desire to create another account. At last, i'd just think the site sucks should this happen to me.

Quote:
Better than having them spam the board.
But they'll still do, as you can't be there all the time.
Old 22 May 2018, 16:58   #119
DamienD
Banned

Whatever...
Old 22 May 2018, 18:11   #120
DamienD
Banned

I should add that this was clearly a spam account: Mymbaa1102

Who else adds in their member name as location, any normal person wouldn't do that... it's the same pattern that we have been seeing for 6 months now.

Finally, if I have a look in the "Moderator Control Panel", what do we have here:

Last edited by DamienD; 22 May 2018 at 18:20.