Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 January 2005, 12:01   #21
Scatter
Super Cars II Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
Give me Turrican any day....
Really?

I never understood the hype surronding Turrican (or its sequels). Maybe I'll have to give it another try now that the passage of time would allow me to approach the game from a fresh perspective.

But I always felt that there were way better Platform/Shooters around than Turrican (and SOTB for that matter)...
Old 01 January 2005, 14:49   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Wolfchild?
Well, I think it depends whether you have a weakness for kewl cyb3r-sci-fi design
If you rather focus on very good and realistic graphics, you should indeed rather try with Lionheart, Wolfchild, Leander or SOTB.
Old 01 January 2005, 14:54   #23
Peanutuk

Turrican was a great game on the C64 but seems to be one of those titles where if you don't give it a good play when you first encounter it, it never really manages to bloom.
Old 01 January 2005, 20:28   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
If you rather focus on very good and realistic graphics, you should indeed rather try with Lionheart, Wolfchild, Leander or SOTB.
Realistic graphics?

Anyway, Turrican is a brilliant thing, I don't like Turrican I but Turrican II is a fine demon, you really have to invest some time in it to get rewarded but I nevertheless enjoyed the graphics and specially the music.
Old 01 January 2005, 20:38   #25
Ironclaw
Banned

I don't know in what kind of world you are living in, Andreas, but realistic?

kidding!
Old 01 January 2005, 23:05   #26
Hillsy_

@akira, please pick on Turrican 3 not Turrican 1 Turrican 1 was and still is a great game. Ah! the music...Pretty good SNES version too. I like Level 3.1 music on the SNES. It's strange, but I think the SNES version of Jim Power has some music from one of the Amiga Turrican games?? ??

I suppose you have to be their to appreciate it's hmmm...mechanics!! I first played the Grandstand console followed by the Atari2600..then later Atari400/800/800XL..AtariST etc... I thought the music in Vanguard, Ms Pacman and later Necromancer were great...but then along came Turrican on the Amiga. For me I couldn't believe what I was hearing, it made me consider going into creating music along with many other avid Amiga fans. Turrican is a work of art because it does everything well. Shadow of the Beast is nothing in comparison. In fact, Shadow of the Beast is a 'Tech Demo' much in the same way as Doom 3 is on the PC. Technical, Talented people but with no idea what makes a game good. Sometimes you have to go back to the basics in order to further oneself.

Correct Peanut!! It won't be the same for anyone unless you played the game when it came out. Graphics and Sound have moved on since the C64/Amiga and now people will never appreciate it's finer qualities. You had to be their at the right time, when their was no XBOX, PS, PS2, Gamecube etc...

Happy gaming,

Last edited by Hillsy_; 01 January 2005 at 23:33.
Old 02 January 2005, 00:26   #27
Baseley09

I dunno what your saying about the Snes version, it was handled by a bunch of remy's in gimp suites, the only port they handled before was a bottle of booze. Utter piece of shit, looks a bit like SOTB at a glance is all.

Amiga vers is and always the complete own, the gfx & sound blow me away even today.
Old 02 January 2005, 03:29   #28
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Just an interesting note... Galahad said that this kind of stuff was only experienced later with games like Lionheart and Brian the Lion....

Brian the Lion was also made by Reflections! This game was also very impressive for an Amiga game, and it had good gameplay, unlike SOTB

Reflections not only made Driver (Which is really cool), but also made Destruction Derby 2, which is one of the finest racing games ever.
Old 02 January 2005, 03:39   #29
Hillsy_

Quote:
Amiga vers is and always the complete own, the gfx & sound blow me away even today
Yeah, pity the gameplay doesn't eh?

Brian the Lion better, but still not good...

Prince of Persia....One of the Best.
Old 02 January 2005, 23:04   #30
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Comparing POP to Turrican is a misnomer, they are not even remotely the same style of game.
Old 02 January 2005, 23:34   #31
Hillsy_

I wasn't really comparing Turrican to POP.....more Brian the Lion to Prince of Persia. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Even though all the games are different you can recognise what makes a good game. It is not about graphics, something that Psygnosis didn't realise. Turrican & Prince of Persia are classic games in their category, not because of the graphics but because they did everything correct....
Old 03 January 2005, 00:12   #32
jamielemon
Zone Friend

anyone know where i might get a copy of that SOTB shop demo mentioned in the thread? either caps or whdload would be great.
Old 03 January 2005, 01:25   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
I wasn't really comparing Turrican to POP.....more Brian the Lion to Prince of Persia. Sorry if I didn't make it clear.

Even though all the games are different you can recognise what makes a good game. It is not about graphics, something that Psygnosis didn't realise. Turrican & Prince of Persia are classic games in their category, not because of the graphics but because they did everything correct....
Well Brian the Lion versus POP is also another misnomer.

POP versus Flashback would be an agreeable comparison.

Brian the Lion if you hide away the flashy graphics and technical aspects, is still a good game. Prince of Persia was also a good game, but the one annoying aspect of the game was that each time you did a move, the game insisted on completing its animation steps for that move, so if you accidentally moved and wanted to abort that move, it would invariably not let you, so you would plummet to your death. Also the programming for POP was decidedly poor considering it was a flick screen game with no scrolling elements.

I've never stated that SOTB was particularly playable, but from the perspective of how well everything else worked, the look and feel of the game has stood the test of time well.

Whoever derided Dave Whittakers music for SOTB Amiga was also missing the point entirely. Granted the tunes themselves are not the most melodic in the world, but for pure atmosphere, the tunes fit SOTB perfectly just like Chris Huelsbeck did for Turrican.

In reply to the person that said that SNES Jim Power music was like Turrican on Amiga, well the music for Jim Power and Turrican was both composed by Chris Huelsbeck.
Old 03 January 2005, 05:26   #34
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

And the music in Jim Power is awesome. The tunes are the same in both the SNES and Amiga versions, but as expected, the Amiga version sounds a little better.
Old 05 January 2005, 21:53   #35
RuySan

Shadow of the Beast, at least the 2nd, was so hard that it was unplayable. The other day i played a bit with the emulator and i still remembered the cheat: "Ten Pints".
Old 07 January 2005, 00:01   #36
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamielemon
anyone know where i might get a copy of that SOTB shop demo mentioned in the thread? either caps or whdload would be great.
You should be able to download the WHDload one from Psygores website.
Old 07 January 2005, 09:24   #37
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I played the SNES version of SOTB the other day for the first time, and there's just no comparison. The music and graphics didn't move me at all like they did with the original - what that excelled at was its ability to create an eery ambiance, a sense of foreboding and intrigue. I equate the game to a sophisticated (not a fairground) ghost train ride; it's a wonderful experience, but you don't necessarily want to re-live it because doing so would tarnish your memory of it and chip away at the magic. It was the perfect poster child for the Amiga as long as prospective buyers only saw it running behind a glass case or on TV.
Old 04 March 2005, 21:33   #38
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Hum well, Beast 2 is a really hard game, but you can finish it like Beast 1.

I know that they have an average maniability but it's up to the player to compensate
this lack......

Beast 1 and 2 are quite of what we can decently call 'pre-scripted games' where every enemy appears always at the same place.... So it appears to be quite easy to get thru the traps disseminated thru the levels and even then take care of the life points.

Same appears too for Jim Power, an easy one to finish even if you lose some lives....
Old 05 March 2005, 07:22   #39
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
The Lynx version has a sprite with much more frames, it surely looks better
Yes your right Akira the Lynx version was very good. It was a smaller game though and easier to solve then the Amiga version. The world is not as big, I still own it though and play it from time to time.