English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 10 June 2014, 23:45   #1
videofx

Cant get IDE to work on A1200

I just got a 44PIN to 40PIN adapter with power to connect my CF card. As soon as I connect the IDE to CF adapter to the 40PIN adapter the HDD stays solid and the computer wont boot. Disconnect the IDE to CF adapter and boots, this happens with also with my IDE CDROM drive,

Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 11 June 2014, 00:04   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Are you trying to connect both devices to your A1200's IDE controller via a single cable? If so, you will need to ensure that the CF to IDE adapter is jumpered as a Slave device, because the hard drive will be configured as the Master device.

Edit1: If you have the adapter jumpered correctly, then the hard drive and CF card/adapter combination may be incompatible on the same data bus.

Edit2: You will need to install IDEFix to get a CD-ROM drive working on the A1200's IDE controller.

Last edited by prowler; 11 June 2014 at 00:10.
Old 11 June 2014, 00:13   #3
videofx

right now I just want to get the IDE to CF working. I used a different IDE to CF and the 1200 boots but the mouse cursor wont move, the 2 buttons on the mouse do function just cant move the mouse. Disconnect the IDE to CF adapter and mouse works.

Im stumped
Old 15 June 2014, 04:11   #4
videofx

I just ordered a CF card for the 1200, at least I will be able to test if the port is working.
Old 20 June 2014, 12:01   #5
Daedalus

Couple of things to note: The activity LED staying on can indicate a problem with the master/slave settings on the bus, since the activity and slave signals are on the same line and the Amiga just connects it directly to the LED. In many cases with CD-ROMs this isn't a problem, the computer boots as normal and the LED goes out after about 30 seconds. But if it's not booting it would suggest some sort of clash. Make sure you have one master and one slave on the cable, and that nothing is set to CS (cable Select). If that doesn't work, it could simply be that your drive / CF card are not compatible. Some early 2.5" hard drives do not support having a slave attached and refuse to boot when one is attached.

Also, does your CF adapter have a power connector? If it does, make sure you power it somehow perhaps from the floppy power connector or directly from the PSU if you have a PC-style one.

Installing IDEFix will get the CD-ROM working, but not having it installed shouldn't stop the machine from booting, it just means the CD-ROM won't do anything.
Old 20 June 2014, 18:05   #6
videofx

Well I ordered a comparable cable and CF card. Lets see if that works. Sunday I am pickingup my Blizzard 1260 with SCSI and will also try that.