English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.MAGE

Old 09 March 2018, 17:39   #561
DamienD
Banned

...obviously just to publically give me shit and justify why he's been torrenting my collection / update pack all over the place.
Old 09 March 2018, 17:57   #562
emufan

this dude is a joke, just joins to justify his deeds,
while blaming and intimidate those he stole the pack from.
must be a HRC supporter ...
Old 09 March 2018, 18:30   #563
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
this dude is a joke, just joins to justify his deeds,
while blaming and intimidate those he stole the pack from. [...]
Yes . His "Torrent Robin Hood's tirade" is appalling .
Old 09 March 2018, 19:55   #564
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAnAmigaFan View Post
As someone who really has no horse in this race (sorry, but Amiga stuff really isn't my cup of tea...),
Yet you felt that you needed to sign up to the forum and post anyway. Suspicious.

Quote:
DamienD, no matter how you slice it, putting your collection behind a paywall and forcing people to pay up for access really is no different than selling shady bootleg movies in the eyes of the law in most countries.
He hasn't done that though. EAB members in good standing got it for free; I personally only donated after I got the collection in my inbox - that's not charging for something no matter how you slice it. He also dished it out to people who didn't have a posting history, in good faith. Look where that got him.

Quote:
Doing this put not only yourself at risk, but this entire site as well. Throwing links out to roms is one thing, monetizing upon it in any means is another thing entirely, and tends to be treated much more harshly.
Couple of points -

1. They're not ROMs.
2. DamienD removed images that have historically been denied distribution.
3. It was done privately, not publicly.
4. Since you have no interest in EAB you won't have seen The Zone! which houses an ongoing collection of pretty much any software (within limits described in point 2) you care to ask for from the Amiga's history. Damien's little collection pales into insignificance compared to The Zone! or the EAB file server.

Which brings me to my next point:

Quote:
It doesn't matter how much time and effort you've sank into this (by the way, 12 years sounds like quite a lot, given the entire eXoDOS collection took less time to pull together and has a much larger scope...) - configuring games to run in an emulator isn't something you can or should be trying to profiteer from (even if it's money that's being sank into "good" places).
You really, really have no idea, do you? WinUAE is phenomenally complex and very, very hard to set up even with quickstart configurations. Tuning the config files to match each single game is a very big job indeed.

There are many dumps of each game out there, and many have flaws - cracked versions missed out important intro graphics, some cracks didn't work, some actually damaged the game - each game had to be tested to make sure it was perfectly playable, and where there may be 20 images to choose from, that's a job in itself.

Some games need an A500. Some are NTSC, others PAL. Some require RTG. Some need AGA. Some need overscan configured correctly, others do not. Some need to run from Workbench or an HDF. Some benefit enormously from JIT emulation running at full tilt. Some need specific hardware configured correctly with the correct firmware installed... etc, etc.

This isn't MAME where the ROM is automatically configured from its hardware requirements, they're plain storage images. Nor is it a SNES or Megadrive for which one hardware emulation will do.

And besides, he didn't work on it night and day for 12 years - it was a personal collection that he procured over that period of time, on and off.

And there was no profiteering at all. He gave it out for no cash whatsoever, and donations were entirely voluntary.

Quote:
just know that if your intent is REALLY to have a preservation project, you should WANT your project spread around as much as possible - restricting access to who you choose is shooting yourself in the foot. With a harpoon gun. Your project will never gain the fame and notoriety that you so desperately seek.
This is not a preservation project. A preservation project is TOSEC and the ongoing BS1 efforts. This is a personal collection of games playable immediately from the WinUAE config browser with little to no further configuration needed.

He gave away his personal collection because he felt it would help us members here to get to playing games we love hassle-free. Not for fame, not for notoriety, he did it as a favour to the community here, not anywhere else.

And you sat on your cloud, pulled down your pants and took a massive dump on him for it. You expect us to respect your reasoning? Think again.

Last edited by Dunny; 09 March 2018 at 20:47.
Old 09 March 2018, 20:04   #565
ptyerman

So, the shark shows himself (hiding under a new account). Typical freeloading coward!
Old 09 March 2018, 20:21   #566
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post

You really, really have no idea, do you? WinUAE is phenomenally complex and very, very hard to set up even with quickstart configurations.
i confirm the difficult to configure WinUAE for many games that require specific configuration (even if some times, they don't respect real hardware config, see "cycle_exact" setting)
For the rest i think the best way to share personal collection should be pubblic direct link (google drive or Mega) and/or pubblic torrent tracker.
I respect DamienD choice, but i not agreed.
Old 09 March 2018, 20:29   #567
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
For the rest i think the best way to share personal collection should be pubblic direct link (google drive or Mega) and/or pubblic torrent tracker.
I respect DamienD choice, but i not agreed.
Seiya; how many more times are you going to say this in my thread???

To me you are just a troll here, I'm getting really bored of you and your opinions now

You do what you want with your maximum "6 month" project but don't ever again try to tell me what I should do with my "over a decade" one...

Are we clear i.e. do you understand???
Old 09 March 2018, 20:47   #568
Argentdawn
Banned

Sorry but felt the need to barge in.
Been lurking on this page or a while.

While I do understand what DamienD is trying to do... I don't agree with it and much less with the whole lot of tantrums you throw after seeing "your" content distributed somewhere else.

Now a couple of points:

Isn't it illegal to distribute kickstart images as those are owned now by Cloanto? If this is illegal, isn't even more illegal to take money for it, even if to donate to whatever cause you want?
What about all roms/adf/hdf whatever images? Don't they have a copyright? Isn't it illegal do be distributed? If so, isn't it even more to take money for it, even if to donate to whatever cause you want?
Old 09 March 2018, 20:54   #569
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argentdawn View Post
I don't agree with it and much less with the whole lot of tantrums you throw after seeing "your" content distributed somewhere else.
Oh I see, but it's all totally cool when hosted on *illegal* torrents sites that the whole industry has been trying to shutdown for years (along with more recent stuff i.e. new games / movies / TV series / applications etc.)?

Quote:
Isn't it illegal to distribute kickstart images as those are owned now by Cloanto? If this is illegal, isn't even more illegal to take money for it, even if to donate to whatever cause you want?
There are absolutely no "Cloanto" KS ROMs in my project...

Quote:
What about all roms/adf/hdf whatever images? Don't they have a copyright? Isn't it illegal do be distributed? If so, isn't it even more to take money for it, even if to donate to whatever cause you want?
Virtually every file in my collection can be downloaded on the internet and has been distributed / available for decades:

... PlanetEmu
... EmuParadise
... Old Games Finder
... GameTronic
... many more sites I haven't bothered to list.

I won't bother listing sites from a 2 second Google search containing "original" KS ROMs...

Please tell me, why have the above sites not been closed down as yet then? Probably because most of these game companies don't exist anymore and even if a few actually do; they don't care about 30 year old stuff anymore...

Last edited by DamienD; 09 March 2018 at 21:45.
Old 09 March 2018, 21:01   #570
1time
Amiga Lover

DamienD: Thank you! It works great! Super happy that you did another update.
Old 09 March 2018, 21:16   #571
Viceroy

DamienD keep a cool head mate, these new 1 post members are just trying to boil your P***, just get them banned from here and lets have the forum like it used to be, helping each other out with their Amiga's!
Old 09 March 2018, 21:21   #572
DamienD
Banned

Yeah you're right Viceroy, sorry and done
Old 09 March 2018, 22:02   #573
Viceroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Yeah you're right Viceroy, sorry and done
That's the spirit ;-)
Old 09 March 2018, 22:08   #574
zoodah

Viceroy is correct, Damien. This is all they have left. Mocking & disrespecting you. There are far more of us that appreciate the work you've done & that you shared it with us.
Old 09 March 2018, 23:34   #575
stobros

Quote:
Great story Sinphaltimus, thanks for sharing

For me the best *Tetris* game on the Amiga is Twintris but you might as well play Super Twintris; same thing but goes straight into the game without the extra fluff
And for me; Super Tetris by Spectrum HoloByte is the BEST.

DamienD,

And we thank YOU so much for everything! We = Me and my grandchildren

We've been playing dozens of games from your collection, I was almost playing with tears because it was a joy completely coming from my youth age. A huge part of it. So we family-ly thank you for such a great effort and please keep updating it, well of course in your spare time!

Perhaps you might wish to include Super Tetris someday in future.

Thanks once again for great effort!
Kindest Regards.
Old 10 March 2018, 00:22   #576
DamienD
Banned

Heya stobros,

Very happy that you and your family are enjoying my project; this makes me very happy indeed

Super Tetris; of course I've played this but to be honest, I didn't think much of it when compared to other *Tetris* games available on the Amiga.

...but, I'll add this to my list of games to include in future updates
Old 10 March 2018, 21:25   #577
enigma776
Bringer of Death

There are updates? Where do I find those?
Old 10 March 2018, 23:44   #578
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma776 View Post
There are updates? Where do I find those?
Since the asshole who torrented the whole collection has been around, you don't. They find you.
Old 11 March 2018, 00:49   #579
stobros

Quote:
Heya stobros,

Very happy that you and your family are enjoying my project; this makes me very happy indeed

Super Tetris; of course I've played this but to be honest, I didn't think much of it when compared to other *Tetris* games available on the Amiga.

...but, I'll add this to my list of games to include in future updates
Thank you so much! Tack!
Old 13 March 2018, 22:44   #580
AmigaBoy

A quick thanks to DamienD for this pack. It makes everything really quick and easy!

He can even be forgiven for making scanlines the default. *shakes fist*