English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 04 October 2018, 21:59   #61
AJCopland

Is this a thread about the Furia?

No, this is about the CS540, which is a card some people might be interested. The Furia stuff can go elsewhere into a Furia relevent thread can't it?

Can a moderator go through and clean this up so that it's occasionally on topic and not pages or rants about a completely different accelerator card?
Old 05 October 2018, 01:09   #62
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJCopland View Post
Is this a thread about the Furia?

No, this is about the CS540, which is a card some people might be interested. The Furia stuff can go elsewhere into a Furia relevent thread can't it?

Can a moderator go through and clean this up so that it's occasionally on topic and not pages or rants about a completely different accelerator card?
This still isn't a thread about the Furia - It is a discussion thread about a lot of things arising from a very short OP with a picture of a new accelerator.

Look I would not be averse to splitting the 'furia stuff' out to another thread, but as far as i can see there is no distinct 'furia stuff'. There is an ongoing discussion about business practices, what it means to be CE marked, and the current trends in small scale Amiga accelerator manufacturer.

For example - That last response to Daedalus was a question (he works in the industry) about the legalities of using counterfeit chips and offering building services to forum members. It certainly wasn't a rant.

The Furia stuff is an example in an ongoing discussion. I'm sure the words 530 and TF530 appear in a similar fashion.

By all means separate out the thread, but I think you'll find there'll be two threads left - one with one post (the OP), and a few about fitting it into an A500 case - and another thread with a balanced, reasonable discussion of business practices and legislation.

John

EDIT: And come on dude - I get what you're saying about it being a thread about the CS540/530 - but what information do we even have to discuss? A picture, a link to some videos (in polish) and a forum (in polish). I mean do you have anything to contribute on the CS540 discussion? If so go ahead, post it, and complain to a mod about us not being on topic! Haha I really don't mean this in a bitter way either - this thread has virtually no information in the OP, and its no surprise that its descended into a related but separate discussion about accelerators in general.

SECOND EDIT: On the first page alone the instances of CS540, TF530, and Furia are all pretty equal. We're discussing accelerators and the problems around them. I'm sorry for my part if that somehow offends you - oh, and I believe I have seen one or two moderators reading this thread numerous times, so if their feelings coincide with yours then i'm sure they'll make that decision themselves, and naturally I and everyone else would be happy with that.

Last edited by project23; 05 October 2018 at 01:39.
Old 05 October 2018, 07:49   #63
Jope
-

It makes it impossible to split the thread when people discuss several separate things in their posts.

The discussion is reasonably civil, but the rambling is all over the place. Please stay in focus.
Old 06 October 2018, 16:45   #64
Sim085

I have gone through the linked thread and used Google translate to try and understand more about the project. Am I correct that this is an ARM based accelerator card with an 040 installed so that 68K commands can be processed by the 040 while anything else is done by the ARM processor?
Old 06 October 2018, 21:14   #65
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasmab View Post
By the book its illegal to mark something like as CE in the EU without EMC testing.
This is not true.

Quote:
But the vampire doesnt have CE marking on it for example. They respect the rules.
This is also not true, in two ways. First, electronic devices not conforming to directives and not CE marked cannot be sold in EU. Secondly, Vampire boards from mass production (for example Vampire 600 v2.1) are CE marked.
Old 06 October 2018, 21:25   #66
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashan View Post
This is not true.
It must comply with the EMC directive. I cannot see how you can comply with this without EMC testing. I can see how people can invent some fiction to get around this.

Frankly people who do this should be jailed IMHO. Its irresponsible and could interfere with pacemakers and aviation band electronics. As a pilot who relies on those signals to get to the runway I am rather passionate about this subject.

Quote:
This is also not true, in two ways. First, electronic devices not conforming to directives and not CE marked cannot be sold in EU.
This is completely wrong. You can sell Amiga's. They arent CE marked.

Quote:
Secondly, Vampire boards from mass production (for example Vampire 600 v2.1) are CE marked.

I havent seen a Vampire with a CE mark to date. Many have been sold without a CE mark. I checked all the images I could find of them before I posted that. None had CE marking. If there are other versions with CE marking then I stand corrected.

EDIT: This is all just my opinion. I'm passionate about not misleading people by CE marking things that havent really been tested. I get very angry that China can import things with fake CE logo's (http://www.europarl.europa.eu/sides/...38&language=EN).

Last edited by plasmab; 06 October 2018 at 21:44.
Old 07 October 2018, 08:26   #67
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
I havent seen a Vampire with a CE mark to date.
Old 07 October 2018, 08:35   #68
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
You can sell Amiga's. They arent CE marked.
New products.
Old 07 October 2018, 14:08   #69
utri007
mä vaan

I have understand that is possible to register interest for this product?

Where and how?
Old 07 October 2018, 21:39   #70
Krashan
Hardware Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I have understand that is possible to register interest for this product?
It is too early in my opinion. They have working CPUs on these cards, but numerous peripherials have no drivers.
Old 10 October 2018, 01:15   #71
8 Bit Dreams
Retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krashan View Post
It is too early in my opinion. They have working CPUs on these cards, but numerous peripherials have no drivers.
Maybe they need ask help @Apollo team
Old 11 October 2018, 01:41   #72
jediknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
Okay so with the wicher i was talking out of my a$$ - its a standard 68000.

Interestingly however, there is a QFP 68k variant that both mouser and avnet are selling for around 18 dollars with a 10 week lead-in time as they're not in stock, but they are allowing minimum quantity orders of 1 unlike digikey who want you to buy six million. They're NXP (so motorola, really) and the max clock is 20mhz.

I know it aint a great option for the hobbyist, but for a commercial manufacturer looking to build a basic upgrade board for the 5/600, adding a bit of fast ram i think it'd be a good low cost seller.

They're (i think?) NRND though, so obviously thats an issue for a manufacturer. But if you're only expecting to sell a couple thousand and you can still get a couple thousand then it'd still be an option.

This is all just an aside of course - its just interesting to me that in 2018 you could build an amiga accelerator with 100% brand new components from a component supplier.

John
Guess what nobody cares.
Old 11 October 2018, 01:43   #73
jediknight

and i dont care if it has a kite mark as long as it works ill buy one , i love polish people there making some great amiga stuff.
Old 11 October 2018, 02:52   #74
nexus

interesting might grab 1 depending on more info
same goes for the zz9000 2 boards with little info
Old 11 October 2018, 10:27   #75
1time
Amiga Lover

I will also try to grab one for sure!

Could not care less about CE when it comes to Amiga stuff. I mean, we are hacking our amigas with timing fixes, different extenders, gotek-floppys, pico power, etc etc. If we break our Amigas it is not because of the CE thingy.
Old 11 October 2018, 10:33   #76
plasmab
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1time View Post
Could not care less about CE when it comes to Amiga stuff. I mean, we are hacking our amigas with timing fixes, different extenders, gotek-floppys, pico power, etc etc. If we break our Amigas it is not because of the CE thingy.

CE marking is the reason I cannot make TF accelerators in bulk and sell them through my business. With all the savings of scale that that brings. So CE is relevant to the Amiga.
Old 11 October 2018, 12:51   #77
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by jediknight View Post
Guess what nobody cares.
You will when you drop a hundred quid on a device, it doesn't work, and then the warranty process from the store you bought the device from isn't worth wiping you're ass with.

If you don't care, don't respond.

Quote:
and i dont care if it has a kite mark as long as it works ill buy one , i love polish people there making some great amiga stuff.
Quote:
as long as it works ill buy one
Quote:
as long as it works
Old 11 October 2018, 12:53   #78
project23
Used Register

Quote:
CE marking is the reason I cannot make TF accelerators in bulk and sell them through my business. With all the savings of scale that that brings. So CE is relevant to the Amiga.
Btw i've been reading a bit and i think RoHS 2 is mandatory for CE now, so no accelerator with a non RoHS chip (very few) as the CPU can't be CE stamped.

Can an accelerator be regarded as a replacement part (they're exempt)? After all you're replacing the original CPU. I just think thats one hell of a narrow loophole, hah.

I think you'd have to sell the accelerator sans CPU, and have the user get the CPU themselves, to qualify for CE.

Unless i'm mistaken.

John

Last edited by project23; 11 October 2018 at 13:14.
Old 11 October 2018, 13:00   #79
PR77

Quote:
Originally Posted by project23 View Post
I know it aint a great option for the hobbyist, but for a commercial manufacturer looking to build a basic upgrade board for the 5/600, adding a bit of fast ram i think it'd be a good low cost seller.

Take a look here, this is what I've done;

https://github.com/PR77/A500_ACCEL_RAM_IDE-Rev-2
Old 11 October 2018, 13:02   #80
project23
Used Register

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR77 View Post
Take a look here, this is what I've done;

https://github.com/PR77/A500_ACCEL_RAM_IDE-Rev-2
Brilliant! I've bookmarked it. I intend to do my own, for learning purposes of course, but you've given me a great resource there. Thanks!

John