English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 27 September 2007, 09:55   #41
reloader12

an almost painless linux

you might want to give simply mepis a try for a pretty painless and usefull install of linux. It's a free download, (liveCD with installer) and comes with a good deal of usefull sofware. I have a server and a laptop running it, and have no complaints. I still prefer the amigaOS [real or emulated] to any other.
I also have to use XP and Vista daily. I think that linux is much better than windows and that Open Office is very close to MS Office.

Old 27 September 2007, 19:59   #42
Pyromania

Your right reloader12, we run Linux here on a few machines and it is progressing well.
Old 28 September 2007, 05:57   #43
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Fred you are right of course, but we dont give a shite, we are blinkered retro looking Amiga fan boys!!

Your first girlfriend may well be a crumbly 55 year old 300lb granny of 4, but hey dont you still have "da memories"?
My first gf is now under 35 years of age.

Anyway, my point i that there is definitely ludditism amoung some Amiga fans. Nothing wrong with still using it, but not as a main computer. That is just sad.
Old 28 September 2007, 09:08   #44
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
My first gf is now under 35 years of age.

Anyway, my point i that there is definitely ludditism amoung some Amiga fans. Nothing wrong with still using it, but not as a main computer. That is just sad.
Whats really sad is conformity. Do what everyone else does, just because everyone else thinks you should, but not doing what you feel just because you listened, life is too short trying to keep others happy. ( But yes, there is some truth to what you say, so what am i really trying to say ? .. lol )

Retro 80's mullet haircuts are now fashionable, so if you really want to look at sad, thats where it is.
Old 02 October 2007, 22:03   #45
woody.cool

Amiga OS (a.k.a. Amiga Workbench) really does kick Windows/Linux/MacOS's ass. Amiga OS is blindingly quick on very limited hardware, where as Windows is sh!t slow on decent hardware (depends on version). Linux is far too complex for most home users (although I'm a dab hand at Linux - I work in IT so I should be) and Mac OS is just a customised Linux made specifically for Apple's funky looking machines.

Long live AmigaOS - I find AmigaOS's capabilities fine for my day to day activities.
Old 02 October 2007, 22:13   #46
Thorham
Computer Nerd

All the operating systems are bad, even AmigaOs is getting really old. It's time for something new (and do it on 68k Amiga first!).

Linux is still good for browsing the web though (few viruses). Keeps your xp installation nice and safe.

And can we at least have fast software? Bad os' are more then enough suffering to endure.

And happy Amiga using!
Old 03 October 2007, 08:37   #47
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

[QUOTE=Thorham;362078]All the operating systems are bad, even AmigaOs is getting really old. It's time for something new (and do it on 68k Amiga first!)./QUOTE]

Pity that Austex Softwares Nueron hasnt materialised. That could have been a Coldfire Amiga-a-like.

Although I use Winblows I would like something non-Wintel to use.... (and no not a Mac!)
Old 04 October 2007, 14:14   #48
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck View Post
You know, this "amiga advantage" shit is about as useful as arguing:

"Hey, all you had to do was hand crank those model T's.
They had great reliabilty, and man were they cheap. Nowadays, these computer chipped, airflow valve turbo fuel injection blah blah blah could use a rumble seat blah blah..."

Yeah, so what?
What can I say... model T's??? Amigas are not model T's. The first computers were more like those... Also, on pcs, a lot of software is just shit and shit slow. If I have large text files, such as edict, witch is almost 7mb, then I won't even bother with pc software, and boot up my......wait for it..... AMIGA. I don't know how it's possible, but my 30 at 50 mhz annihilates my 550 mhz p3 when it comes down to text editing (this is so bad, I haven't even tried to get any editors for windows, so I use PSPad....)

How can you make software witch is so slow, that equivalent software on a computer that is a 100 times slower is not JUST faster, but much, much, much faster? This sort of thing is insane!

So long live Amiga!
Old 04 October 2007, 15:27   #49
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
Also, on pcs, a lot of software is just shit and shit slow. If I have large text files, such as edict, witch is almost 7mb, then I won't even bother with pc software, and boot up my......wait for it..... AMIGA. I don't know how it's possible, but my 30 at 50 mhz annihilates my 550 mhz p3 when it comes down to text editing (this is so bad, I haven't even tried to get any editors for windows, so I use PSPad....)

How can you make software witch is so slow, that equivalent software on a computer that is a 100 times slower is not JUST faster, but much, much, much faster? This sort of thing is insane!

So long live Amiga!
So, I loaded edict (I assume that's the one you were talking about) onto my Windows PC and opened the file with Notepad++, it took less than a second to load and then editing was nice and speedy (that also works with much bigger files, but yeah). Now admittedly my PC is a 2.6 GHz P4, so I loaded the file onto my little AMD K6-300 (300 MHz) NetBSD server with 32 MB RAM and opened the file first with nano, which took about 3 seconds to load -- and editing was nice and fast -- and then with vi which took a little longer to load but with which editing was even faster.

And any decent Windows editor could've done that too (I've had Windows 98 on the same computer before -- long ago -- and yes I have edited multi-megabyte files with it).

So, meh!
Old 04 October 2007, 15:57   #50
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody.cool View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion which I've explained in my post - it's a personal preference!
No, you're a retard because your post is full of utter shit.

Let's investigate :

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody.cool
Amiga OS (a.k.a. Amiga Workbench) really does kick Windows/Linux/MacOS's ass. Amiga OS is blindingly quick on very limited hardware, where as Windows is sh!t slow on decent hardware (depends on version).
Null argument. You've used speed as the benchmark of OS quality for the sake of your own argument. Bzzzt. You suck. Also, this is not opinion, you are trying to state a fact. If you don't believe me you should learn how the English language works. If you simply add 'I think' or 'In my opinion' at the start of your sentence, you might not attract so much hate. Little things, little things...

Then you say...

Quote:
although I'm a dab hand at Linux - I work in IT so I should be
...shortly followed by...

Quote:
and Mac OS is just a customised Linux made specifically for Apple's funky looking machines.
...which just made me feel sorry for your employer. Oh well, they'll get rid of you one day! Apple is a customised version of Linux? At least most of the trolls in this thread have some knowledge of what they speak!
Old 04 October 2007, 16:20   #51
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Personal opinion:

I enjoy working with the AmigaOS. Give me an Amiga with DOpus4, and I'm a happy bunny. Windows..... I use it, but mostly because I play World of Warcraft, and since my accelerator died, I can't use the Amiga for much of what I feel forced to use the PC for. And let's face it, even though the Windows software gives you the creeps in how slow it is (even on decently speedy computer otherwise) there ARE things that are now far surpassed the Amiga side. Firefox and Opera, for browsers. OpenOffice vs Finalwriter/Wordworth. mIRC vs AmIRC... uhm, no I retract that last one, AmIRC STILL kicks arse
Old 04 October 2007, 16:50   #52
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Yes, there are things you can't do on an Amiga, but that is just because the AmigaOS version of the software has not been written and/or because the hardware that AmigaOS is being run on is underpowered for the task. Neither of these is a problem with AmigaOS itself.

Clearly OS3.9 is the best operating system when compared against Windoze, Linux, etc. if it is run on comparably spec'd hardware and running programs for which native AmigaOS versions are available.
Old 04 October 2007, 16:57   #53
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
Clearly OS3.9 is the best operating system when compared against Windoze, Linux, etc. if it is run on comparably spec'd hardware and running programs for which native AmigaOS versions are available.
Well, praise be! Thank the lord!

I thought this thread would go on forever, but Minuous has settled it once and for all. There is no doubting the fact now that AmigaOS is better than Windoze [sic], Linux and so on since he has said so. No need for facts, since you can't prove it. Thus it's perfect.

Had he not posted, the world might have come to an end. Praise be!
Old 04 October 2007, 17:09   #54
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

P-J, if you care to read his post:

What kind of hardware would be a PC EQUIVALENT of the most powerful real Amiga? If we choose to not consider the PPC, but go with an 060-75MHz, then I'ld say you need a PC with AT LEAST a P-133 to be able to do things faster, BUT you can't use WinXP, you'll have to resort to Win3.11 or Win95. If you insist on using WinXP, then you'll need at least P3-900 and loads of RAM, to run the OS at suficient speeds for comfort.

At least, THAT is what _I_ made of Minuous' post. Because he said "comparably specced hardware" not "the best hardware possible, finely tuned and optimized"
Old 04 October 2007, 17:15   #55
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by eLowar View Post
And any decent Windows editor could've done that too
Right, If you really read my reply, you'll know that's my problem, getting hold of decent editors, witch are fast on any machine, under winxp.
Also, PSPad loads relatively fast, but then search and replace is a huge pig...
What I mean is: CygnusEd is always very fast on amigas.

Next time, just write down a list of good, fast editors, thank you very much.
Old 04 October 2007, 17:17   #56
P-J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
P-J, if you care to read his post:
I did. He basically said the few things that AmigaOS can do well it does better than Windows, Linux and so on.

That's not true first of all.

Then he said that OS3.9 is categorically better than Windows on deprecated, useless and now overpriced hardware.

Which might be true (I don't know) but is pointless.

(P.S. Care to prove your theory that you need a 133MHz PC to outstrip a 75MHz Amiga? If not, then, well, 'blah'.)
Old 04 October 2007, 17:17   #57
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Well I use Ultra-Edit, I find it fast, feature-rich and awesome.

I use it to write all my AmigaE code, then compile it within WinUAE.

I don't write the code in WinUAE because I find it a pain in the arse
Old 04 October 2007, 17:57   #58
Doc Mindie
In deep Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-J View Post

(P.S. Care to prove your theory that you need a 133MHz PC to outstrip a 75MHz Amiga? If not, then, well, 'blah'.)
Sure.

I'll do my usual business..... My A500, running at 7MHz, ompletely left my brothers 386/25 (with 8MB memory) in the dust.

My A1200 running at 50MHz (with the help of a 030/50 accelerator) left his 486 DX2-66 in the dust.

I've never had an 060 myself, but judging from these two, and the fact that the CPU is doing all the work on the PC, while the Amiga leaves quite alot to it's custom chips, leaves me to believe a P133 should be needed to have a realatively similar performance to an 060/75. This, however, does not take into account that there are programs that uses the CPU only (lha, for example) which of course benefitts from the faster CPU.

But overall... I found PaintShopPro 4 to be a pain to use on a P133 running Win95, for example... the computer was simply too slow.
Old 04 October 2007, 18:01   #59
P-J

I said 'care to prove it', not 'care to post some anecdotal evidence'. I feel I was quite clear on that point. Oh well.

My C64 is faster than your Amiga, because my brother said so.
Old 04 October 2007, 18:10   #60
eLowar
Citizen of Elthesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mindie View Post
But overall... I found PaintShopPro 4 to be a pain to use on a P133 running Win95, for example... the computer was simply too slow.
So... how well does PSP4 run on an Amiga then?