English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 11 February 2020, 13:40   #1
no_body
Banned

(My) First case of not (almost always) perfect emulation

This is my first post and so please don't mind any imperfections related to syntax or anything else, I will become better with time.
I submit an adf which contains a file that I can correctly display only on classic / real a500 but not on the WINUAE emulator. Could you give me some help? Do any of you know why?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wP...WQz8s1iPrCX6qV
notes: add .zip extension - unzip - go!

<edited by DamienD>

Sincerely,

Federico Roselli aka J4F (amiga side), aka no_body (Steam platform)

Winners don't use cheats!

Last edited by DamienD; 11 February 2020 at 14:05.
Old 11 February 2020, 14:07   #2
DamienD
Banned

Heya no_body,

Welcome to EAB

One thing though; you may want to read the Rules & Help... particularly Banned topics.

I've edited your post to remove the blurb about discrimination / racism / xenophobia etc...
Old 11 February 2020, 14:20   #3
no_body
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Heya no_body,

Welcome to EAB

One thing though; you may want to read the Rules & Help... particularly Banned topics.

I've edited your post to remove the blurb about discrimination / racism / xenophobia etc...

It seems to me that the removal of non-off-topic details in a forum where information and communication make possible the existence of the platform, is more like censorship. But I am also a writer, poet, and linguist and therefore we should decide at the table what is your level of knowledge of the meaning of the words, apart from my premise that includes both the motivation and the apology of an inexperienced user. I do not praise the words you have removed but the effects as a victim, therefore I invite you to send me an email directly to <snip> to verify the authenticity of my message and my intentions. Does the rule apply even if they are inside the ADF? Unfortunately the things to say that I have omitted are really "A LOT" and I am not going to fill entire posts here, but only to invite the deduction, not only to 3 moderators .... u know ...!? C u ...

Last edited by DamienD; 12 February 2020 at 19:45. Reason: Personal information removed...
Old 11 February 2020, 14:28   #4
DamienD
Banned

Seriously? How was your blurb not "off topic" exactly?

Rules are rules and put in place to keep the forum a nice friendly place. Discussion about banned topics only lead to flame wars / heated arguements; so are best left off an "Amiga" forum.

If you can't understand this then; maybe you've made a mistake joining... there are plenty of other forums where you can talk about these sorts of things.

Anyway, no more discusison on the matter please.

Last edited by DamienD; 11 February 2020 at 14:34.
Old 11 February 2020, 15:21   #5
DamienD
Banned

Getting back on topic; I've downloaded your .ADF and taken some screenshots via WinUAE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by no_body View Post
I submit an adf which contains a file that I can correctly display only on classic / real a500 but not on the WINUAE emulator. Could you give me some help? Do any of you know why?
The problem is that you haven't really said what's the difference / wrongly displayed between a classic / real A500 versus WinUAE.

Are the images above ok to you or?

Last edited by DamienD; 12 February 2020 at 13:44. Reason: Removed screenshot with personal information...
Old 11 February 2020, 16:51   #6
no_body
Banned

Hey ... you are great! Although I have replicated the specifications of my amiga 500 on the emulator there is always aberration on the bonus executable .... Have you used any tricks? Or a non-standard setting?
Old 11 February 2020, 16:59   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Hey ... you are great! Although I have replicated the specifications of my amiga 500 on the emulator there is always aberration on the bonus executable .... Have you used any tricks? Or a non-standard setting?
No tricks; "Display" and "Filter" settings used are as follows:

Note: I would usually set 720x576 but my work laptop won't allow; so I took the screenhots in "Windowed" mode...

Old 11 February 2020, 17:05   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Standard A500 config (even without cycle-exact) seems to work fine.
Old 11 February 2020, 17:06   #9
DamienD
Banned

My guess about the issue no_body reported would the usual "Default" under "Filter" being set instead of "No scaling".
Old 11 February 2020, 17:13   #10
no_body
Banned

Done! Despite my intentions relating to the "cultural" and conservation reasons :-),for this almost unknown and spectacular tune, the eye also wants its part! Thanks ....
Old 11 February 2020, 17:35   #11
DamienD
Banned

Do note that there are other settings you can play with to get the same result without scaling and keeping the correct aspect ratio...

Most other's play with "Integer scaling" and multiplyers etc...

Last edited by DamienD; 11 February 2020 at 17:41.
Old 11 February 2020, 20:38   #12
Dunny

Quote:
It seems to me that the removal of non-off-topic details in a forum where information and communication make possible the existence of the platform, is more like censorship.
Yes, it's censorship. And that's fine in a private forum such as this.
Old 11 February 2020, 21:50   #13
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Thing is:
  • It had absolutely nothing to do with the request for help with the .ADF via WinUAE.
  • It was totally "off-topic".
  • The blurb encompassed all things listed as taboo in the Banned topics part of Rules & Help (which everyone is supposed to read after joining, and also abide by).
So, as a Global Moderator of a very popular Amiga forum... it's my duty and right to remove anything that I believe could stir up trouble; and is totally against the rules that as members; you agree too.

Anyway, let's move on now please.

Last edited by DamienD; 11 February 2020 at 21:55.
Old 12 February 2020, 00:59   #14
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
I strongly disagree. Free speech is a basic human right.

I do however agree with off-topic posts being removed. Damien has made the right call, as usual.
Old 12 February 2020, 06:37   #15
britelite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I strongly disagree. Free speech is a basic human right.
"Private forum" being key here though, nobody should be forced to give you a platform for expressing your opinion. Being able to post here is a privilege, not a right.
Old 12 February 2020, 09:42   #16
spudje

If you wanna shout your public opinion on the banned topics, please move to a local social medium near you and join the collective monologue with the rest of the world. Keep this an Amiga (& retro) forum please. Here we discuss passions, thoughts and opinions, which we used to do in the real world as well before it became fashion to just state (fake) facts and deny debates by offending people who disagree with you.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:17   #17
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
"Private forum" being key here though, nobody should be forced to give you a platform for expressing your opinion. Being able to post here is a privilege, not a right.
More than a privilege I would say it is an honor and a gratification.
It should not be a privilege to be able to express one's passion and voluntarily dedicate one's time to a public place.
Something that sets you free.

That's for sure not a right, but a mere concession provided free of charge by those who provide the space and the possibility to use this medium
(with their own rules to respect).

But the 'privilege' statement it's an interesting point of view, we are probably lucky to be able to do it.
Old 12 February 2020, 10:50   #18
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I strongly disagree. Free speech is a basic human right
Freedom of speech is not a basic human right, it means that you will not be persecuted by the government (and by extension, the police/justice system) for expressing your views. It doesn't extend any further than that - so in private forums such as this there is no requirement to provide such a right.

As an example, in the UK we have no right to freedom of speech - you can and will be arrested and charged for certain speech. And yet we are (currently) bound by the ECHR.

I think this sums it up nicely:

Old 12 February 2020, 12:04   #19
no_body
Banned

Well. I invite all users on EAB to understand why they cannot write to me without at least giving them an explanation. My user on EAB no_body, my email address used for registration: <snip>, my telephone number (the same one with which I connect to the internet via hot-spot): <snip>. Unfortunately the question of human rights is hot in 2020 due to tens and hundreds of millions of bipeds that don't understand and violate them = otherwise it wouldn't be such a hot topic / problem in the world. In any case, that initial note of mine was an answer to the legitimate question of any user: Why can't I write to him?

Last edited by DamienD; 12 February 2020 at 13:45. Reason: Personal information removed...
Old 12 February 2020, 12:07   #20
dreadnought

It's so refreshing to find a board where all the tedious you-know-the-ones topics are banned. And that's okay, because there are so many other places you can discuss them on, right?

So, can we just...

AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA-AMIGA

...please?