English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 March 2002, 09:29   #21
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Websites are always so busy... MAME has been flooded constantly for the last week or so on alt.binaries.emulators.misc, along with enough Amiga ADFs to make Gary Peake pee his pants. Twice. (Not to mention CoCo, Amstrad, Speccy, Coleco, Atari, Apple IIgs and C64 stuff too. Plus computer images I have never even heard of.)

I am sure many of you have news server access with your ISP. It'd be well worth it to learn your way around Usenet... And Kiss EmuChina/Mame.DK/Arcade@Home/AceRoms and the rest of that web-based crud byebye.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:36   #22
jmmijo

This is usually a good source for sure, the problem sometimes comes into play when your ISP's news server doesn't get the entire multi-part image. I really prefer an FTP server over usenet but sometimes you have to put up with with you can get a hold of.
Old 05 March 2002, 09:36   #23
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I prefer Direct Connect. I have tried newsgroups and find them massively confusing, and interface is usually poor. Any suggestions, Ap?
Old 05 March 2002, 14:20   #24
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I have a suggestion. Signing up for a decent newsfeed (like Supernews, usenetnews, etc.) that has better retention time (the time binaries stay on the server) and better propogation (the amount of articles that you can actually obtain). You can expect to pay between $6 to $20 per month for this service and I guarantee you it is worth it.

As for the confusing side of usenet, it's really quite simple. I would recommend Agent for usenet client (on the PC); not sure what's out there for the Mac. I would highly recommend NOT using Outlook Express or browsers for usenet binaries.

IMO, usenet is easier than irc. The only quibble lately is the introduction of yenc encoding, but hopefully this will be resolved soon when Forte upgrades Agent.
Old 05 March 2002, 19:20   #25
jmmijo

@Twistin, doesn't Supernews offer two plans, the basic one with limited amounts of d/l bandwidth and the premium plan with non limits?

I'll check them out after I've tested out my ISP's news server. I just changed providers and haven't had the chance yet.
Old 05 March 2002, 20:13   #26
APFelon
Cable Buyer

I haven't used Agent in years, but I know it is a very robust news reader, ETC. I know the users are very loyal, and a bit zealous about guarding it as the premier news reader.

As TG mentioned, Agent don't do yEnc. yEnc is a new method of encoding binaries when someone uploads them to a news server. It reduces the overall size of the upload, thus saving time to up and download them. Many Agent users have been fighting the change from UUEncode to yEnc simply because their reader doesn't support it yet. (I understand it will in a few weeks. Thats when Agent users will hail the new yEnc standard as the second coming of Christ).

Usenet is kind of the "Wild West" of the internet. It is a land where opinions are like Ay-holes and the laws of good behavior and decency do not apply. Thats why I avoid most discussions on all Binaries newsgroups, and thus don't need a reader like Agent. I prefer NewsBin, which is a no-nonsense leech application for binaries, binaries, binaries.

As for a premium news service, I have used Easynews, Airnews, and one other one (I don't want to give the third one any free advertising, they crapped on me) and for my current situation, Airnews is the best.

Unlimited downloads at 256k. For anyone with a low-end DSL connect (like me, unfortunately) or 56k, this would be the way to go @ ~19.00.

If you miss MarzAttacks, he is still active at Alt.Binaries.Warez.Amiga.

By the way- Thats where I first met TG. *Salute*
Old 11 March 2002, 07:04   #27
jmmijo

I've been doing some research into a Usenet provider and there are quite a few of them. Seems to me most offer up to so much bandwidth per month, per server then they cut you off. They also seemed to give you a discount for yearly access vs. monthly.

I'll have to look at Airnews as well. But they maybe too limiting if they only allow up to 256K connections
Old 11 March 2002, 07:34   #28
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Some, like alt.net offer broadband for a higher price. The thing is, at least for me, there's only so many hours in the day and only so much space on my HD (even off-dumping it to CD regularly!). You'll have the emulation stuff caught up eventually, then just have to keep up with new floods (when new TOSEC or Good dats are released, etc.) or new emulation. The CD stuff is huge to grab (all that PCEngine CD, etc.) or if you go crazy and get into PSX and N64 downloading, or mp3's - gawd, you could eat up bandwidth real quick. But it's not even an option without good news provider!
Old 11 March 2002, 07:59   #29
jmmijo

Yes I see your point, however I do like to grab the floods, like the one on ABEM now, lots of TOSEC stuff. I use an app called SBnewsbot. It now supports yEnc and since I can set it up to d/l while I'm asleep, well you get the idea

I just hate the fact that ATT Broadband censors a lot of NG's Of course this is their equipement not mine so I'm looking at a decent alternative as well.