English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 07 November 2016, 00:45   #1
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

List of Amiga compatible LCD TVs/Monitors?

Hello wild kittens of the three dimensions.

I am considering the purchase of an LCD monitor but I would like to make sure I buy one which is compatible with the Amiga's PAL/NTSC output frequencies.

Browsing and Google-ing the EAB, I found multiple threads mentioning a few monitors each but no such thing as a comprehensive list of compatible TVs/monitors. Did I miss is or is such a list still something waiting to be build?

If there is yet no such list I could compile the information listed on the aforementioned threads and put it there but where should it go?
And if there is such a list, where is it?

Thanks in advance for your overall cuteness.
Old 07 November 2016, 00:57   #2
idrougge

If you're interested in a sufferable picture, there are really only a few alternatives, even fewer of which you'd want to use with your PC or Mac.
Old 07 November 2016, 08:06   #3
Hewitson

I am going to say that none are suitable. An Amiga that's not connected to a CRT, is an Amiga that's not worth using.
Old 07 November 2016, 16:13   #4
amigoun

I am maintaing such list in my thread here:
http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php...al-23pin-conns)

Every working 15kHz capable monitor reports are welcome.
Old 07 November 2016, 17:20   #5
turrican9

I would say that the BenQ BL 702A/BL 912 are very suitable. Would recommend the BL 702A over the BL 912 though. I have both and think the BL 702A has sharper colours and pixels will be smaller since it's a smaller screen with the same resolution as BL 912.

Important to finetune phase and pixel clocks and don't go past the default sharpness level of 1 on the BL 702A and keep the sharpness at 3 or lower on the BL 912. These are highly recommended by me. Also, buy an adapter from amigoun (which posted above me) or even better a cable with RGB to VGA from him. Have bought several cables from him and have very good experiences.

CRT is no longer viable for me as my eyes has gotten used to flatscreens over 10 years ago and any CRT will flicker for me.
Old 08 November 2016, 07:07   #6
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
If you're interested in a sufferable picture, there are really only a few alternatives, even fewer of which you'd want to use with your PC or Mac.
Actually I do not plan to use it full time for the Amiga, just as a bigger surfaced alternative to the 1084 until I move to a bigger home where I can plug the Amiga into the JVC CRT my other retro systems are plugged into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I am going to say that none are suitable. An Amiga that's not connected to a CRT, is an Amiga that's not worth using.
I am afraid reality is likely more nuanced than your statement implies and it all boils down on which job one is going to fulfill with their Amiga.
For some uses (development for instance), plugging the Amiga into a large monitor is way more practical than using the minuscule 1084-s which are a pain from a distance simply because 14" is much less comfortable than 24" especially to visualize issues.
Also interlace and flicker sucks kangaroos.

I do use my 1084-s and love them but I am willing to compromise if I can gain something from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post

Oh! You Sir/Lady are a much fluffy kitten.
I wonder how it is possible for Google to fail to report this thread in the top list, hopefully, linking to it should help.
Many thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican9 View Post
These are highly recommended by me. Also, buy an adapter from amigoun (which posted above me) or even better a cable with RGB to VGA from him. Have bought several cables from him and have very good experiences.

CRT is no longer viable for me as my eyes has gotten used to flatscreens over 10 years ago and any CRT will flicker for me.
Thanks, I do have RGB to VGA dongles already so I should be good.

Concerning flickering and refresh frequency I have found that last generation CRTs are much more comfortable to watch than those of old. I have a JVC CRT which does 1080p and is just a pleasure to watch.
Old 08 November 2016, 07:24   #7
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post

I just found this post, which indicates that the Dell 2001fp is a suitable choice and that you might want to add to your list: http://dfarq.homeip.net/lcd-monitor-retro-computing/

Moreover, there are quite a few of them on eBay apparently.
Old 08 November 2016, 07:38   #8
ajk

The Dell is on his list - also take notice of the mention that it only works up until a certain serial number / manufacture date in some cases.
Old 08 November 2016, 11:49   #9
demolition
Unregistered User

Here's another list which should also be valid for Amiga:
http://www.atari-wiki.com/index.php/Flat_Panel_Displays
Old 08 November 2016, 14:46   #10
Signman

Amiga, back in the day, was a forward looking advance computer. Users always embraced advances and newer technology.
When scandoublers came out many were excited by the clearer display etc.
Now, to say that only a crt display is correct sounds dogmatic and regressive.
Old 08 November 2016, 14:53   #11
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
True, there are pros and cons to all display types. For pure gaming, a large CRT might be preferable in regards to latency and picture quality if you have the space for it, but if you do not have the space then a CRT is simply out of the question and in that case LCD>CRT. Also not everybody likes the flicker and radiation from CRTs so again they will prefer LCD.

For me, a good LCD is the number one choice simply because I do not have the space for a CRT and particularly because I would like a 19" or larger display.
Old 08 November 2016, 15:03   #12
trixster
Guru Meditating

I can vouche for the dell 2000fp - svideo, composite, DVI and VGA inputs, syncs at 15khz for Amiga rgb, handles 50hz scrolling from Indi AGA and AGA 2 perfectly at low resolutions.
Old 08 November 2016, 17:44   #13
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Amiga, back in the day, was a forward looking advance computer. Users always embraced advances and newer technology.
When scandoublers came out many were excited by the clearer display etc.
Just use your eyes instead of resorting to the kind of dogmatic thinking that stipulates that newer = better.
Old 08 November 2016, 18:04   #14
turrican9

Quote:
Just use your eyes instead of resorting to the kind of dogmatic thinking that stipulates that newer = better.
Have you seen a BL 702A connected to RGB? What's special about it is that is has it's own sharpness setting. And at it's default (lowest setting) games will look great when used directly with RGB. They will not be pixelated like on other flatscreens and of course perfectly smooth at 15KHz/50Hz I've seen. This lower sharpness level gives the needed 'anti aliasing' for the games not to look blocky/pixelated. But at the same time perfect and sharp colours. I've compared this to other flatscreens connected to scandoblers, with or without scanlines, compared to CRTs and the conclusion is simple for me.. BL 702A or BL 912 all the way.
Old 08 November 2016, 18:17   #15
JanciB

The problem with LCD's is ghosting. Just try for example Red Sector Megademo and increase the scrollspeed of the top scroller with joystick. The text becomes not readable. With CRT it is perfectly readable even on fastest speed.

The BenQ has 5ms response time and it is not enough. In think 1ms will still be not enough.

But don't get me wrong the two BenQ's have pretty good picture quality.
Old 08 November 2016, 18:42   #16
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
The problem with LCD's is ghosting.
Even with LCD, there is a solution for this - black frame insertion / ultra low motion blur (ULMB). It should be possible to create a converter circuit which will take the RGB signal from the Amiga and convert it to DisplayPort for a gaming monitor which can do ULMB or FreeSync/G-Sync. That would be a really nice solution. I would likely buy one for my G-Sync monitor.

The same converter could probably also be used for other retro devices with RGB output, so the market would not be that small.
Old 08 November 2016, 19:53   #17
turrican9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanciB View Post
The problem with LCD's is ghosting. Just try for example Red Sector Megademo and increase the scrollspeed of the top scroller with joystick. The text becomes not readable. With CRT it is perfectly readable even on fastest speed.

The BenQ has 5ms response time and it is not enough. In think 1ms will still be not enough.

But don't get me wrong the two BenQ's have pretty good picture quality.
But in how many cases is this really a problem? I dont notice it in any games or anything. You have have to run a demo like this and increase the scroll speed to see it.
Old 08 November 2016, 20:15   #18
JanciB

Quote:
But in how many cases is this really a problem? I dont notice it in any games or anything. You have have to run a demo like this and increase the scroll speed to see it.
It's not a problem. It's just little annoying.
Old 08 November 2016, 20:42   #19
Signman

Quote:
Hey, dogmatic is my word.
Old 09 November 2016, 00:46   #20
idrougge

Quote:
Have you seen a BL 702A connected to RGB?
Yes I have, but I never mentioned that particular screen, nor did the poster I was replying to. The BL is the only screen I recommend to Amiga users, unlike some people who refuse to use their own eyes and go by the dogma that newer technology somehow must be better than older technology, even when used to display images from older technology.