English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 05 April 2006, 22:21   #1
DamienD
Banned

DamienD's SNES DVD...

Hey guys,

I know this isn't Amiga related but...

...given all the recent DVD creations done by various people, I thought that I might offer one of my recently finished projects to whoever's interested.

Basically it's a SNES DVD which contains the following:
... Latest version of the emulator Snes9x.
... Latest version of the front end LusSpace with title / in game screenshots.
... 1200+ hand picked ROMS.
... Star Fox 2 which is an unreleased demo. Applied patches to make is complete and also changed the language from Japanese --> English.

I'm no programmer but pretty good with batch files and know my way around the registry so I've created a customised setup.exe program which does the following:

Main Menu (see 00_MainMenu.jpg):
... You go through options 1 - 4 to configure everything.

File Loaction + Desktop Shortcut (see 01_FileLocation.jpg):
... Here you select whether you want to copy / run the files from your hard drive or run it straight from the DVD.
... If you select the DVD, the program will find your first assigned CD / DVD drive and apply file paths to this.

Local Hard Drive (see 02_LocalHDD.jpg):
... Here you select which partition on your hard drive you want to copy / run the files from.

Emulator (see 03_Emulator.jpg):
... Here you can set the "best" options like full screen / scanlines etc. or choose the run the emulator just like it originally came.

Controller (see 04_Controller.jpg):
... Here you can select what type of controller you would like to use. I've added in options for Xbox / PS2 pads (need adapter though), also HotRodSE / X-Arcade or of course you can keep the default keyboard setup.

I've also attached screenshots of the front end LusSpace and Star Fox 2 running through the emulator Snes9x.

If you think this is cool and are interested in getting a copy, please PM me

Edit: to save people scrolling through the thread a quick "sort of description by setup.exe features* can be found here: Post #255
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00_MainMenu.jpg
Views:	642
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	10707   Click image for larger version

Name:	01_FileLocation.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	10708   Click image for larger version

Name:	02_LocalHDD.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	10709   Click image for larger version

Name:	03_Emulator.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	10710   Click image for larger version

Name:	04_Controller.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	10711  

Last edited by DamienD; 29 June 2007 at 00:00.
Old 05 April 2006, 22:22   #2
DamienD
Banned

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LusSpace.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	10712   Click image for larger version

Name:	StarFox2.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	10713  
Old 06 April 2006, 07:29   #3
Dizzy
Pirate

Wow looking good
Old 06 April 2006, 11:42   #4
DamienD
Banned

Thanks Dizzy, I was going to upload an .ISO of the DVD in parts to somewhere like YouSendIt but there doesn't seem to be much interest for it though.

Not too worry, just thought I'd offer
Old 06 April 2006, 12:06   #5
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
Thanks Dizzy, I was going to upload an .ISO of the DVD in parts to somewhere like YouSendIt but there doesn't seem to be much interest for it though.

you could upload it to a torrentsite like http://www.abusivegaming.com/news.php I would love to download it
Old 06 April 2006, 13:20   #6
DamienD
Banned

PM'd Dizzy and will post off a copy of the DVD

Let me know what you think of it once you've receive the DVD and get the chance to have a bash.

Do you have PS2 or XBox pads? You can get the adapters from here:

PS2
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3172

XBox
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3175

Although buy it through the European website as delivery will be much quicker http://www.lik-sang.com/europe.php
Old 06 April 2006, 13:31   #7
Dizzy
Pirate

Thx I will try one of those (will be the psxpad version)
Old 06 April 2006, 18:37   #8
MethodGit

You could alternately upload it to Usenet if possible...
Old 06 April 2006, 19:17   #9
DamienD
Banned

I don't have a UsenNet account

Don't you need to pay for access to Usenet?

If you would like a DVD I can burn one tonight and post it off to you tomorrow? It's no trouble, just PM me your address
Old 06 April 2006, 20:29   #10
Bloodwych

Interested? I'm sure loads of people will be! Or at least they should be, even if they already have huge emulation collections. You must have hit the board during a quiet period, but to me this kind of great work is what keeps emulation fresh in modern times. I did the classicwb packs for a similar reason - trying to offer fresh material and unique work into the now aging emu scene.

It looks like a fantastic project and exactly the home brew stuff I love about the emulation scene and EAB! I'd be honoured to have a copy of your project and offer feedback. In fact, it'll get pride of place on my Retrobox (Small Form Factor PC dedicated to oldschool gaming).

The install script is really unique and a neat idea. I'll certainly pm you! Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 06 April 2006 at 20:36.
Old 06 April 2006, 20:35   #11
DamienD
Banned

Hello Bloodwych,

Thank you for your kind words and support. I would be very happy to burn you a copy and to see what you think.

Like you've said many people will probably have all the roms but what I've done is made the setup process a simple 1 minute job instead of having to work out / configure everything. It's very user friendly and simple. One of the reasons why I created this was to help out friends who wanted to play Snes games but are computer illiterate and would have no idea where to begin...

It did take me quite a while to put everything together i.e. download the emulator / front end, work out the best options, go through / download all the roms, get adapters for PS2 / Xbox controllers + remap buttons, write the batch files / registry entries to configure everything etc...

I'll burn a copy tonight, just send me your address.

Last edited by DamienD; 06 April 2006 at 20:46.
Old 06 April 2006, 20:45   #12
Bloodwych

I can imagine a lot of work went into this, which is why it needs to be used by loads of people.

Recently I was having a good watch of Bippy's great DVDs and realised this kind of stuff is really cool. You can't buy these projects in the shops, they represent a large chunk of peoples hard work, free time and commitment. Even better, sending or swapping projects through the post is so retro, going back to when we used to send floppy disks to friends all over the world.

It also saves the hassle of hosting certain files plus it's great getting stuff delivered through the post!

I'm thinking we can set up some kind of swap shop thread or forum, where people in it are willing to burn and post home projects like this to one another from time to time. It's fairly inexpensive, takes little time and everyone will benefit.

That way work like yours can be more freely available to everyone.
Old 06 April 2006, 20:51   #13
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD
I don't have a UsenNet account

Don't you need to pay for access to Usenet?
Not necessarily. Your ISP should have a Usenet server, right? Blueyonder's news server for example is news.blueyonder.co.uk.

Of course there are various paid Usenet servers, but some are relatively cheap anyways - I'm on Easynews who charge only $9.98 for every 20-gig block. Or per month, whatever, but rather than waiting till next month to download again, they just charge you for a fresh new block to use, like an auto-refill of sorts.
Old 06 April 2006, 21:06   #14
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit
Not necessarily. Your ISP should have a Usenet server, right? Blueyonder's news server for example is news.blueyonder.co.uk.

Of course there are various paid Usenet servers, but some are relatively cheap anyways - I'm on Easynews who charge only $9.98 for every 20-gig block. Or per month, whatever, but rather than waiting till next month to download again, they just charge you for a fresh new block to use, like an auto-refill of sorts.
Hmmm, I have an 8MB broadband connection with UK Online (as they were the only ISP that said they could provide me close to 8MB due to poor phone line quality). I know they do not have any access to newsgroups unfortunately...

I'll have to probably go down the paid Usenet servers route

-------------------------

Bloodwych, some very good suggestions there. Well worth investigating
Old 07 April 2006, 09:29   #15
StarEye
Zone Friend

Any way to get hold of this remarkable DVD?
Old 07 April 2006, 12:20   #16
DamienD
Banned

Hey StarEye,

Burning a copy for you now...

Just PM me your address and I'll post if off today
Old 07 April 2006, 13:27   #17
DamienD
Banned

Hey guys,

Somethings I should have mentioned in my original post:

... The setup program which needs to be run once is found on the DVD here; \SNES\SETUP.EXE.

... If you have more than one CD / DVD drive in your PC, make sure that your DVD drive is the first available. This is because my batch file that detects the CD / DVD drives will assign the first one found. I am thinking about having an option to select which drive you would like to use but this will require an extra menu screen...

... No matter if you select "Local Hard" Drive or "DVD-ROM" drive installation, a shortcut called SNES Emulator will be copied to your Desktop pointing to the correct path.

... Once you start a game, you will see a menu bar at the top of the screen in the emulator. Just press <Esc> to make it disappear / reappear.

... Scanlines are turned on by default. This is best when playing through a PC monitor. If playing through a TV, then it's better to switch scanlines off and select TV Mode instead. This can be done in the emulator by:

a) Pressing <Esc> to bring up the menu bar.
b) Selecting Options --> Display Configuration.
c) From under Output Image Processing, change Scanlines --> TV Mode, click OK and press <Esc> to make the menu bar disappear again.

Old 07 April 2006, 13:56   #18
keropi

I need a copy too!!! is it possible?
Old 07 April 2006, 14:01   #19
DamienD
Banned

Sure keropi, just PM me your address...

I'll burn a copy now and post it off today
Old 07 April 2006, 14:11   #20
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Great work DamienD. I'll have a copy as well. Will PM you with my address. Keep up the good work.