English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 24 March 2021, 00:10   #21
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
Like for example automatically printing on three layers of paper - you handle invoice or receipt to the consumer for signature, then leave the top copy for him and get the remaining.

Indeed - that use case is the reason you can still buy dot matrix printers brand new.
I found myself wondering what they cost these days, and how many types are available - I'm astonished on both counts!
https://www.printerbase.co.uk/printe...?is_ajax=1&p=1
Old 24 March 2021, 11:29   #22
Overmann

There are many uses for dotmatrix printers, but in a non-professional setting they have been pretty much completely replaced. I still enjoy using them with my retro systems. They are very easy to set up and configure and I actually enjoy the sound. Atleast of the 24pin models. The 9pin models are usually higher pitch.
Old 24 March 2021, 15:03   #23
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmann View Post
There are many uses for dotmatrix printers, but in a non-professional setting they have been pretty much completely replaced. I still enjoy using them with my retro systems. They are very easy to set up and configure and I actually enjoy the sound. Atleast of the 24pin models. The 9pin models are usually higher pitch.
Reminds of the old receipt machines we used to have at work lol... nowadays it's all thermal printing.
Old 24 March 2021, 15:16   #24
Havie

A was desperate for a Star colour printer but never managed to get one.

Ended up with a Canon BJ10 (mono). The saved up empty cartridges, bought a sheet feeder and spend hours cleaning out the black cartridges so they could be refilled with cyan, yellow and magenta. The had a bit of software that split pictures in two CYM and black. The had to put the same bit of paper through the printer four times (hence the need for a sheet feeder). Voila - colour printouts from a mono printer... was hard work though and eventually upgrades to a BJ240! Happy days!
Old 24 March 2021, 15:35   #25
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie View Post
A was desperate for a Star colour printer but never managed to get one.

Ended up with a Canon BJ10 (mono). The saved up empty cartridges, bought a sheet feeder and spend hours cleaning out the black cartridges so they could be refilled with cyan, yellow and magenta. The had a bit of software that split pictures in two CYM and black. The had to put the same bit of paper through the printer four times (hence the need for a sheet feeder). Voila - colour printouts from a mono printer... was hard work though and eventually upgrades to a BJ240! Happy days!
That is ingenious! Such a lot of effort but seems like a worthwhile endeavour back in the day.

I had a Canon Inkjet BJC-4200. This was supported and Canon kindly sent me disks repeatedly with the drivers... unfortunately they were MSDOS formatted so I couldn't read them on the Amiga! Lol

Here is a Citizen colour printer for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/citizen-c....m46890.l49292

Last edited by lesta_smsc; 24 March 2021 at 16:01.
Old 24 March 2021, 19:19   #26
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
I had a Star LC 24/200 until about a decade ago. The ribbon has long dried up. It was the noisiest thing I’ve ever had in my office. How you could want that back leaves me speechless
Old 24 March 2021, 22:37   #27
Havie

I remember there was a dye sublimation printer too but can't remember it's name. Obviously not dot matrix. Could go the whole hog and get a golf ball or daisy wheel printer but obviously no good for graphics!,
Old 24 March 2021, 22:39   #28
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
That is ingenious! Such a lot of effort but seems like a worthwhile endeavour back in the day.

I had a Canon Inkjet BJC-4200. This was supported and Canon kindly sent me disks repeatedly with the drivers... unfortunately they were MSDOS formatted so I couldn't read them on the Amiga! Lol
Yes it was ingenious and time consuming but produced really good results as it was basically producing the same sort of prints as the much more expensive 4 colour printers.
Old 24 March 2021, 23:04   #29
redblade
Zone Friend

Get a 3D printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro), they make noise like the dot matrix printer.
I think you have to code a driver if you want to use the dot matrix printer, it's amazing how those old manuals provided you with the data or schematics so you could tinker with it or code your own drivers.
Old 24 March 2021, 23:27   #30
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
I had a Star LC 24/200 until about a decade ago. The ribbon has long dried up. It was the noisiest thing I’ve ever had in my office. How you could want that back leaves me speechless

How could you *not* want to experience this?
[ Show youtube player ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havie
I remember there was a dye sublimation printer too but can't remember it's name.

The words "Fargo Primera" are rattling around in a dusty corner of my memory - is that the one you're thinking of?
Old 25 March 2021, 00:29   #31
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
[ Show youtube player ]
ROFL

That's so appropriate for me as I'm currently rewatching the Rocky series that I haven't seen since a teenager.

Just finished Rocky III; now that was awesome

Rocky and Rocky II, a little too boring

Really looking forward to Rocky IV with Dolph Lundgren
Old 25 March 2021, 20:52   #32
Havie

Quote:
[ Show youtube player ]

The words "Fargo Primera" are rattling around in a dusty corner of my memory - is that the one you're thinking of?
I think that's it - by all accounts amazing printing of graphics especially for the time.
Old 25 March 2021, 20:53   #33
Havie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Get a 3D printer (Creality Ender 3 Pro), they make noise like the dot matrix printer.
I think you have to code a driver if you want to use the dot matrix printer, it's amazing how those old manuals provided you with the data or schematics so you could tinker with it or code your own drivers.
Just got a delta printer and only makes that noise when it catches on the print -grrrr!
Old 25 March 2021, 22:01   #34
aeberbach

I don't think there was a great color dot matrix. In fact I can't think of an affordable color printer that wasn't slow, prone to wasting expensive consumables and poor quality before color lasers which are obviously still not quite photographic quality.

But I loved the Epson LQ570+ B&W printer. Give me that, a box of fanfold tractor paper and some code to debug...

(It's still on the Epson site - maybe still a current product!)
Old 29 March 2021, 16:39   #35
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
The best Dot Matrix printer I used is the Panasonic KX-P2130.
[ Show youtube player ]

It has some features that even the most modern printers can't replace. Like for example automatically printing on three layers of paper - you handle invoice or receipt to the consumer for signature, then leave the top copy for him and get the remaining.
I think I'm going to get one of these Panasonic printers in the end. Some of the models are advertised as "quiet".

I actually want the complete experience here. I want the sound! I want to remember what it was like. I'm thinking I'll print a "HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" banner, see how long it takes. Supplies seem available here or there. Dot matrix had some interesting features - the impact allowed for multiple copies as you note, and that is still valid and used widely today. The continuous feed paper allowed for longer continuous prints - like banners for example.

If you think about it, it was amazing really that they even became color.
Old 29 March 2021, 16:40   #36
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Citizen did some good ones back in the day. Think a few of these still about.
I had a Roland, and then moved to a Citizen color - which I liked quite a bit back then. Supplies are an issue for Citizen printers though, so I am going to go Panasonic in the end I think.
Old 29 March 2021, 16:42   #37
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predseda View Post
I hated and still hate the noise of dot matrix printers. I can not stand it and I am thanking God every day he wiped them out from the Earth surface.

So the answer to the question of best matrix printer is: no matrix printer.
I bet you Tiesto used the sound in a song already! ...if not, he should.

I actually want the sound experience. A reminder.

"Mom, are you a sleep? I need to print out my assignment. OK, I'll do it in the morning then."
Old 29 March 2021, 16:48   #38
YouKnowWho
Banned

Quote:

I remember all those dreamy adds for Fargo Primera in Amiga World!

DYK - continuous paper is still sold, but a box of it cost as much as many excellent condition dot matrix printers! That's right - paper cost as much as printer!
Old 29 March 2021, 16:50   #39
YouKnowWho
Banned

LIVE THE EXPERIENCE!

[ Show youtube player ]

#dotmatrix4ever

Look, let's not kid ourselves. If the Computer Gods keep a list of Amiga Users that keep the dream alive, you know it is printed out annually for records keeping on a DOT MATRIX printer.
Old 29 March 2021, 18:14   #40
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouKnowWho View Post
DYK - continuous paper is still sold, but a box of it cost as much as many excellent condition dot matrix printers! That's right - paper cost as much as printer!

<me imagines Hewlett Packard casting envious glances...>

(I haven't been asked for printed continuous stationery since 2014, but there are still a number of companies that can produce it pre-printed with your own logos or forms.)