English Amiga Board Amiga Lore

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 25 March 2005, 15:25   #41
glwxxx

useless

hey people, this discussion is pretty useless...

If someone likes OS3.x that's OK
If someone likes OS4.x that's OK
If someone likes A1 more than Classic that's OK
If someone likes Classic more than A1 that's OK
If someone likes emulation more than "real" thing that's OK
be tolerant

AdSense AdSense  
Old 25 March 2005, 15:50   #42
Iffy

In answer to the original question I have an AmigaONE and AmigaOS version 4 ( prerelease ) and it is everything I ever wanted from my Amiga and were never able to have before now.

Old 25 March 2005, 16:11   #43
Martin_L

Iffy, the only person on topic

Do you think AmigaOS4 when finished will be a good general use machine.

Web, Email, Music etc etc?
Old 25 March 2005, 16:34   #44
Akira

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroMan
Itīs not that compatible YET but hey, 68K Support/Emulation (Petunia) is still in development, so .....
I don't understand wh they havd a 68k core in it. Are there MANY aplications that use a 68k but NOT custom chips?

And from what I read here it seems to me that no one cares about backwards compatibility, so why invest time in a JIT 68k emulator????? Because it won't please those who don't give a fuck about backwards compatibility, and it's no solution for those wanting full-on legacy compatibility.

Can anyone explain to me this move?
Old 25 March 2005, 16:50   #45
IFW

Sure.
Many applications rely on the system only, so custom chip emulation is not needed for those.

As long as most new applications are just a daydream, the reality is that the dream can only be fulfilled with running legacy 68k apps.
68k emulation right now is very important and possibly forever, regardless how the users feel about it in theory.
While a recompilation would of course help, chances of getting any source for most of the applications are very slim, so the only way to run many things is through full (everything without ppc code) or partial (only some libraries not in ppc) 68k emulation.

You can do this emulation much faster and a hell lot cheaper on any x86 or mac, but if someone has a lot of money to spend on this, and makes his day, let him be happy with it.
I am sure most of us have hobbies or passtimes that we spend on, yet everyone else minus the people walking in the same shoes would just call it a complete waste of money.
The main difference though is that I do not have illusions whatsoever about these activities, and their real worth in the real world - but that's my problem

So like it or not, the 68k emulation will be the case until a new application comes or the whole thing finally bites the dust.
Old 25 March 2005, 17:51   #46
Akira

I see, that quite explains lots of points for me. They want new shit but no one is doing it, so you must rely on 68k apps.

Now that I think of it I have many 68k only apps that dont use custom anything.

Well I don't mind hobbies, as I said, this could be used as any other computer if you can, but these zeaots always keep doing stuff like "i can do that with MY program", look a link for "Hollywood" earlier in this thread, for example.
Old 26 March 2005, 01:19   #47
Slayer
Amiga Member

@Murakami

thanks for info I'll test it out in a few weeks!
Old 26 March 2005, 08:06   #48
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
From my point <Hollywood vs. Director = Director wins easily> (if this is the right comparison)
Why not use both? Since we have every OS @ DiscreetFX we can use whatever applications we want and apply the strengths of them all for content creation. Why limit yourself?

Old 26 March 2005, 08:15   #49
Pyromania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
It's like back in late 1985 when the Amiga first came
out, there weren't many of us. So I'll enjoy the next
few years of bliss before history repeats itself.
Amen Slayer

Old 26 March 2005, 13:28   #50
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromania
Why not use both? Since we have every OS @ DiscreetFX we can use whatever applications we want and apply the strengths of them all for content creation. Why limit yourself?

IMO more the tool (program) is transparent to you, more productive you are. If the main program is ok and you don't feel the need of an alternative, it doesn't seem feasible to spend hard earned cash for the same thing which would be better spent elsewhere. (like a Mtec 030 for A500 )

Old 29 March 2005, 03:50   #51
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
OK let's fight for a while
Please show me why I would buy this:
A1-XE MOTHERBOARD G4@800MHz NO MEM NO OS4
price = 500 UKP (EXCLUDING VAT)

When I can purchase this:
MacMini 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 / 256MB DDR333 SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9200 with 32MB DDR video memory / 40GB Ultra ATA hard drive / DVD+CDRW drive
OS X Panther INCLUDED
price = 499.00 US DOLLARS
Not only is the A1 priced ridiculously high, it's the main obstacle to finding wider acceptance among enthusiats, zealots and the merely curious.
It would of been much easier and cheaper to simply adopt the Mac for OS4 as the platform to build upon if it must be PPC. There are used Macs in abundance on eBay and now with the intro of the Mac mini, the very same used Macs are getting cheaper quickly. And for those waiting on a G5 board, take a look here. Doubt anyone will ever see one of these in a limited production run for the Amiga community.
Old 29 March 2005, 06:45   #52
Akira

Yeah making OS4 run in the Mac is something I would DEFINITELY support, but they are not doing it. Can you explain me why?
Old 29 March 2005, 06:49   #53
oldpx

They must think that would mean a direct and hopeless competition against macos. Might be true in the long term but a mac-amigaos sounds a lot more appealing than an a1 amigaos to me.

Old 29 March 2005, 07:06   #54
Jope
-

Send a message via Skype™ to Jope
Yeps yeps.. Having gone down the Pegasos road (and then left the platform), these new Amigas really are a viable platform to upgrade to if you're currently using your Amiga for everything.

However if you've already made the jump to PC/MAC, then there is no reason to look back at OS4 - you're already accustomed to what the other side of the fence provides software wise and the Amiga (& compatibles) offering is not nearly enough.

I personally missed: PuTTY (IE. a proper SSH2 client with proper VT100/XTERM emu) and Firefox. I can't live without a proper terminal or proper browser for my normal computing activities.

Well, I still am missing them whenever I'm sitting in front of one of my Amigas..

Like said before the lack of custom chips only affects games. Any "serious" software has been custom chip agnostic for quite some time. (stuff that is launched from the Workbench and doesn't take over the system) Just take look at a productivity software using Amigan's machine.. It's got a sound card (accessed via AHI) and a GFX board (accessed via P96 or CGX). At least my A4000 is running RTG and RTA all the time unless I start up a whdload game.

A new Amiga makes sense, but not to people (like me) who already have taken a look around to what other platforms have to offer.. However the Amigoid software library is growing at an increasing pace, if only the hardware price would come down to a competitive level. (I'm not going to go to the hardware quality discussion)

Last edited by Jope; 29 March 2005 at 07:11.
Old 29 March 2005, 07:45   #55
Murakami
Zone Friend

@Slayer

A new version of MPLayer has just been made available.
And a new version of the GUI too.
Old 29 March 2005, 09:02   #56
Slayer
Amiga Member

thanks for the info Murakami... I've started collecting bits and pieces and downloaded MPlayer just a few days ago from the site... guess I'll be getting it again! I plan to network the A1 to one of my A4000s or just burn cds for the meantime...

first priority will be getting a complete fully functional gg environment installed and getting the dvd/r/w drive up and operational... and it's gonna be amazing just seeing 1 gig memory in the workbench menu...
Old 29 March 2005, 11:26   #57
Oscar Castillo

Send a message via AIM to Oscar Castillo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Yeah making OS4 run in the Mac is something I would DEFINITELY support, but they are not doing it. Can you explain me why?
I've always heard the A1's main reason for being was to chase away the pirates with it's security feature, but there's plenty of ways to do that with just software alone similar in fashion to the activation of WinXP or some sort of USB key if really necessary. Whatever time and money wasted on the A1 would have been better spent on just the development of the OS alone. The A1 is a waste and I don't believe the spent on developing OS4 for the classic Amiga with a PPC was time well spent either.
Old 29 March 2005, 14:39   #58
darkwave

I can understand the reasoning behind the custom hardware required for OS4.
Yet it is the one factor which prevents myself, and I'm sure many others, from running an OS4 system.

I find Macintosh hardware prohibitively expensive. The fact that the new Amiga hardware costs exceedingly more than this is just unacceptable.
I like the look of the new OS, however. I've always been a fan, and I've been following the progress of the latest version.

I often find myself hoping that a modern browser will pop up, and perhaps someone would port a major 3D app so I could consider using an Amiga for work.

But still I could not justify the expense.
As much as I'd like to use OS4, unless the software becomes available on a wider, more affordable range of hardware, I don't see it happening for me.
Old 29 March 2005, 15:18   #59
manicx

This A1 is normally priced like that. Small production numbers mean higher costs. Thing is whether you intend to buy something that value for money is below 30-40%. If you can do it, then do it. If you don't buy a PC or a Mac Mini. Mac hardware is generally expensive but Apple is doing great steps forward in this issue with the mac mini priced at $499 which is twice the price of a sony PSP.
Old 29 March 2005, 17:22   #60
oldpx

Off topic: Is it also that cheap there in Greece? Local apple store sells basic macminis for almost 900$ here and they import after you place the order!!!

AdSense AdSense