English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Other

Old 23 July 2016, 12:19   #101
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

@AshtonPete

My hope is that you have had some good results by now . Sadly I missed this thread I believe I would be able to shed some light on your predicament.

I noticed you using a specific IDE-SATA bridge, sadly I have several types here (including several of the one you have pictured) - When in use with a PIO based IDE device like the Amiga (or Original XBox) I found that they couldn't "see" anything past 60GB of storage. I have tried many many different types of SATA-IDE bridges and there seems to be this impasse.

I did manage to find a SATA-IDE bridge from "Deal Xtreme" that allowed me to use an 80GB SATA Samsung Spinpoint - this was quite handy for the original XBox once the 300GB PATA drive died in it =(

Recently I have been playing with mSATA SSD's converting them it 44pin IDE - Here is a very easy (and cheap) way to "Add 16GB SSD to your Amiga"
Old 24 March 2019, 00:49   #102
steveh

Sadly especially for me Pete Passed away some time between 24-07-2018 and 26-07-2018 I hadn't heard off him for a few days which was unusual because we have chatted more or less every night/day since I introduced him to the Amiga in 1988, I got concerned as I knew he had been Ill, so I went up to his flat "about a 5 mile trip" and let myself in I found him slumped on his bed half on half off. But lucky for me he left most of his worldly possessions to me including all his Amiga gear and gaming PC and much much more, I think about him every day I miss him like crazy we had some deep conversations most nights for hours on end, he was a good friend and never let me down and visa versa of course. From threads on here where he asked for help many of you have probably read and contributed and you would have noticed that I was the one he referred to as My m8/mate coming round to try some of the suggestions put forth by many of the members on here. Well it looks like its now my turn cus I have forgot most of the stuff, of course I can read back through the many threads just by searching for his name, but I want to start from scratch with a blank 64GB drive, so I may need a little help over the coming days/weeks, I have it working from his final setup but TBH Im not that keen on OS3.9 so would like some suggestions as to what alternative OS version to use and how should I start. I do have a 4GB classic Workbench lite which seems ok but thats limited to 4GB I'd maybe like that but re-use this 64GB card already in.

Regards Steve.
Old 24 March 2019, 02:49   #103
MartinW

What a post to read. I can’t add anything to the thread but you have my sympathies with your friend. I’ve been in the same situation as you found yourself when you felt something wasn’t right and went round to what you found. It’s far from easy. My regards.
Old 24 March 2019, 02:54   #104
steveh

Cheers my sympathies with you too.
Old 27 March 2019, 18:49   #105
Supamax
Da Digger :)

My sympathies too, Steve.
Old 13 April 2019, 02:36   #106
steveh

Regards Post 102 , I have done it it all by myself was easyer than I thought it would be, yes 64 Gb is massive overkill but what the hell, also 256MB fast ram is overkill that Pete put in, again what the hell.

Thanks for your sypathies though.