English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2021, 19:34   #161
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
What are those keys for various moves if I may ask ? It's not mentioned in the ReadMe, just "keys located at the left of the keyboard". Maybe the fact that you use a QWERTY keyboard has something to do with it. Also, to use a joystick, you need a press a key first. I won't ask why is that, but I'd be curious to know if it is really necessary.
Last time I checked, the "readme" file in meynaf's archive said the following:
Old 14 March 2021, 19:58   #162
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I've read the document thanks. My question is what are " the 6 letters at the left of the keyboard" precisely (having in mind these will be different whether you play from a QWERTY or from an AZERTY keyboard). Speaking for myself, I pressed Q-S (for middle kick punch) to no avail. Also, is it necessary to press J to active the joystick (why isn't it enabled by default, just curious) ?
Old 14 March 2021, 20:41   #163
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
I've read the document thanks. My question is what are " the 6 letters at the left of the keyboard" precisely (having in mind these will be different whether you play from a QWERTY or from an AZERTY keyboard). Speaking for myself, I pressed Q-S (for middle kick punch) to no avail.
Not rocket science to work out SquawkBox

"QWERTY" keyboard:

Code:
Q  W
 A  S
  Z  X
Quote:
Also, is it necessary to press J to active the joystick (why isn't it enabled by default, just curious) ?
I guess the default is to use keyboard as there are so many keys.
Old 14 March 2021, 20:42   #164
mcgeezer

Quote:
I've read the document thanks. My question is what are " the 6 letters at the left of the keyboard" precisely (having in mind these will be different whether you play from a QWERTY or from an AZERTY keyboard). Speaking for myself, I pressed Q-S (for middle kick punch) to no avail. Also, is it necessary to press J to active the joystick (why isn't it enabled by default, just curious) ?
If you run the game from your hard drive then does it work as expected?
Old 14 March 2021, 20:43   #165
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I imagine it still wouldn't.

I think the issue here is that SquawkBox uses an AZERTY keyboard; and the punches / kicks are not mapped to some of those keys.

They are mapped to:

Code:
Q  W
 A  S
  Z  X
Old 14 March 2021, 20:56   #166
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
I imagine it still wouldn't.

I think the issue here is that SquawkBox uses an AZERTY keyboard; and the punches / kicks are not mapped to some of those keys.

They are mapped to:

Code:
Q  W
 A  S
  Z  X
I don't see that as a fault with the game then.
Old 14 March 2021, 21:07   #167
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
I don't see that as a fault with the game then.
Well, to be honest, most games that use the keyboard, tend to go for the keys they know are in the same place on all keyboards.

It's usually only specific language versions of games that tend to be written to only stipulate certain keyboard types (German for instance).
Old 14 March 2021, 21:35   #168
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
Well, to be honest, most games that use the keyboard, tend to go for the keys they know are in the same place on all keyboards.

It's usually only specific language versions of games that tend to be written to only stipulate certain keyboard types (German for instance).
Looking at the game read me though this is what I would expect to happen (maybe I'm missing something.... Sunderland won a trophy today ).

I do go back to my original question to be verified in that does the game work as it was meant to from the hard drive.
Old 14 March 2021, 22:13   #169
SquawkBox

I am with DamienD on this one, the ADF corresponds to the files from the archive, nothing has been tampered with.
Also, S is common between the two types of keyboards, so supposedly S should do something when I fight an opponent, alas it doesn't.
Please consider, I am not asking for meynaf to fix the controls, the port probably took him a lot of time, it's more something to discuss among fans of the game who may have encountered a similar issue with controls when playing from WinUAE (some dude made a comment about how controls were bad "steering... complete crap" his words not mine on LemonAmiga). If meynaf wishes to look into it, fine, otherwise, no biggie.
Maybe a routine detects AZERTY keyboard and inadvertently prevents middle kick punch from working.
Old 15 March 2021, 00:34   #170
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Maybe a routine detects AZERTY keyboard and inadvertently prevents middle kick punch from working.
I really doubt meynaf would do that; he's French too remember

I assume you tried the first 2 x left rows of keys; whatever they are on an AZERTY keyboard?
Old 15 March 2021, 07:45   #171
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
It's all right, I shall simply adjust my speech accordingly : "Hey, remember Karateka on Apple II ? Well, now you can play Physically Decrepit Karateka on the Amiga thanks to meynaf."
Perhaps it's your keyboard that's physically decrepit.
Well, more seriously, have you checked that these keys work under other circumstances ? Run normal OS, run some text editor, and see if they work or not.

Quote:
Also, is it necessary to press J to active the joystick (why isn't it enabled by default, just curious) ?
The original game is made this way, this is all i can tell.

Quote:
Probably not, but least, it's easier for me to debug this way.
Yet from ADF you have limited system setup. The keyboard for example isn't azerty anymore, it becomes qwerty. I don't see how this could make it fail, though (see below).

Quote:
AZERTY keyboard on my setup, all keys work perfectly.
Keys are handled by position and not by name. It means AZ/QS/WX of azerty keyboard become QW/AS/ZX on qwerty.
Old 18 March 2021, 01:46   #172
SquawkBox

So we never get to fight the Boss in that version ? It seems to me the minions spawn indefinitely (problem with controls solved btw).
Old 18 March 2021, 02:11   #173
earok

Quote:
So we never get to fight the Boss in that version ? It seems to me the minions spawn indefinitely (problem with controls solved btw).
From my memory of Karateka (Apple IIE version), you've got to run forward between fights in order to get to the next door. The minions don't stop until you've reached the next door.
Old 18 March 2021, 13:40   #174
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by earok View Post
From my memory of Karateka (Apple IIE version), you've got to run forward between fights in order to get to the next door. The minions don't stop until you've reached the next door.
Exactly

You can see the eagle and boss fight in the HOL screenshots.
Old 20 April 2021, 08:32   #175
Nishicorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
I find it strange that people asking for a game port don't have the game themselves
I find your logic strange. If they had it, they wouldn't have to ask for it, now would they?
Old 20 April 2021, 08:42   #176
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nishicorn View Post
I find your logic strange. If they had it, they wouldn't have to ask for it, now would they?
Strange interpretation you made. If they have it, it's of course the version for another machine, not the amiga one. So they can ask for this one, obviously. If they don't, how come they know the game and want an amiga version of it, it's what i found odd.