English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.aGTW

Old 15 June 2001, 21:20   #1
icycool
Banned

Requesting Gauntlet 1

I am beginning to wonder the existance of this, everyone seems to have Gauntlet II copies named as #1. However, after reading the post about M&M1, it probably does exist But i would like someone to prove it to me ;p
Old 16 June 2001, 01:32   #2
Ian
Global Moderator

Ok

This has been discussed on almost every Amiga related message board and the general feeling is that it doesn't exist, however it is listed at the Dreamzone web site, you may want to try there, but as you say this may just be Gauntlet II, wrongly named, anyway for the size of the game I'm sure spending a couple of minutes downloading won't do any harm.

I don't know the address for the Dreamzone, but I think it's posted lower down in another message called "Accessing" I think.
Old 16 June 2001, 02:05   #3
RCK
Administrator

I have just downloaded the "gauntlet" version from the dream zone, and no luck, it is just one copy of gauntlet II.
And I don't think it was ever released on Amiga...

If you want to play it (but Gauntlet II is 100% better than the first opus), use MAME instead

<Ian>
Removed picture of the title screen from Gauntlet 2 the Amiga version.
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 00:22.
Old 16 June 2001, 02:22   #4
Ian
Global Moderator

I agree with RCK on this

Arcade conversion were never very good on Amiga/Atari ST in the first place so if the games you want are emulated with Mame or other arcade emu's, that should be your first choice.

If you want the rom image for Guantlet 1, the arcade version you can get it from here:- http://www.mame.dk/

Even if you have a very old PC this game should run fine through Mame, so give it a try, and while your at it, download Gauntlet II as well.

If you haven't used Mame before and need help, either post a message or send me a private message and I'm sure we'll/I'll be able to help.
Old 16 June 2001, 02:27   #5
icycool
Banned

Thnx RCK and Ian for your replys...i have been after the game for some time now, and did find a website where it was comfirmed to have been released in 1987 on the Amiga, along with all the other release dates of other systems.
This is certainly more evidence than i have recieved while looking for M&M1.
I downloaded the file a LONG time ago from DreamZone, and typically, its a missnamed file.. so i did not bother with DZ after that, but i have found a nice FTP mirror of it which i have asked the owner to run through TOSEC, so on our next renaming run, DZ unknown files should be mostly assimilated into TOSEC along with a few thousand more alts and italian versions of things.
Next TOSEC release will also contain 8000 Demo disk ADF's

Anyway, i think Gauntlet 1 does exist..its just very rare.
Old 16 June 2001, 02:30   #6
icycool
Banned

Didn't see your second posting Ian, u were probably writing as i was .. I have G1 for about 20 systems, including mame, but since amiga is my main collecting system, i WANT that game :P
Old 16 June 2001, 03:23   #7
Ian
Global Moderator

Right then

I can verify 100% that Gauntlet 1 was released on Amiga in 1986 by those hard working people at US Gold.

Knowing US Gold this game would have also been released as part of a compalation as well. Maybe someone knows the name of that compalation?

I tried searching for Gauntlet 1 in Google using my normal technique: "Gauntlet" Amiga, and this probably found an obscure web site somewhere with an actual ADF file for the game, but seeing as there was about 3,700 sites listed, I couldn't be bothered to look through them all, maybe if there was only 3,600 I might have

So I think if you continue your search you WILL find this game ....... Eventually!!

By the way does anyone know what happened to US Gold??
Old 16 June 2001, 21:25   #8
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

This attached pic is the only evidence (?) I have seen to suggest the existance of an Amiga version. While this suggests that an Amiga version was on the slate, it doesn't neccesarily mean that an Amiga version actually got published. But it's something to look at...

<Ian>
Removed scan of an old advert for Gauntlet 1, if you want it try sending Twistin' a PM and ASK HIM POLITELY
</Ian>

Last edited by Ian; 12 October 2001 at 00:24.
Old 18 June 2001, 08:26   #9
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

Gauntlet

I was sure this game was released for the amiga, I might have even owned the game years ago, but I couldn't swear to it, because I never did like gauntlet 1. But, it seems odd that such an high profile release is not widely available, same goes for the recently discussed rastan.

I'm pretty damn sure that if you tried all the sites on the internet that you probably would just find 3,600 sites with gauntlet 2 named as gauntlet 1. I've been looking for this for a long time. I used to have it on my requests page, but all evidence seemed to point to the fact that it didn't exist. I kept getting sent gauntlet 2 by well meaning visitors. I might add it to the requests again though, I've been surprised before.

Anyway, here's the question that we need to ask, can anybody 100% say that they definitely owned gauntlet 1 for the amiga?
Old 18 June 2001, 22:55   #10
icycool
Banned

hehe, i feel your pain warlock..i have been sent numerous copies of g2 named as g1, these days i ask them to test before sending...naturally no-one has come thru with it yet.
Old 20 June 2001, 13:22   #11
Mangar
Got the fever back

I may have Gauntlet on a 3.5 inch floppy.. I was pretty sure I had all 3 gauntlets for the amiga.. let me check my disks..

will get back to you on this..
Old 20 June 2001, 15:32   #12
icycool
Banned

Ok, good luck Mangle , |cy goes to get a coffee
Old 20 June 2001, 20:52   #13
Karl Stodulski

I just have a small thing to say:

I can (hopefully) confirm that a copy of Gauntlet I was released- I remember playing it... it used to annoy me that I couldn't find a four player adaptor for it...

When I got Gauntlet II, I was surprised by how similar it seemed to be, but there were minor changes between I and II... I can't remember them (something in my mind says something about the lobbers?).

I DID play this on the Amiga, 100% certain.

Hope this helps.

Old 20 June 2001, 21:05   #14
icycool
Banned

Its a mystery why no-one has it.. i do have a list of rare other games to look for, but this one really pisses me off...such a common game, yet its shrouded in mystery and unavailability.. ;-|
Everyone keep thier eyes open for the original, i have a feeling, like G2, its also a protected disk, and most likely not avail on the web in any 'real' form.
Old 20 June 2001, 21:23   #15
Amiga1992

Icy, nice to see you, as always, in the lookout for rare Amiga games Since I can't hang around IRC as much as before, it's nice to catch you here.

If an original appears, it's no problem, since we can send the Warp files to Codetapper so he cracks it. I am on the lookout for a few games locally, I will look for Gauntlet 1 as well.
Old 20 June 2001, 22:52   #16
icycool
Banned

yo Akira, are you from the syntaxerror days? ;p.. whats your IRC nick now?. you can checkout #AmigaTronic on newnet, i'm always in there
Old 20 June 2001, 23:10   #17
icycool
Banned

yo Tets, i didn't know u hang around amiga places

remember to dump those c64 games, with those undumped musiks ;-)
Old 20 June 2001, 23:29   #18
Khephren

I am sure it was released on the Amiga. I remember playing it in the arcade as a kid and was overjoyed when a conversion was announced.

Pretty sure I'm not confusing it with my 64 days...hell alcohol has screwed my memory!

I certainly remember playing Garrison by Rainbow Arts (I think) which I thought was superior.

There is a Windows version of Gauntlet which is superb.

Old 21 June 2001, 00:20   #19
Warlock99
Webmaster of AmigaRarities

garrison

I have that one, thought it was easy to find
Old 21 June 2001, 17:18   #20
Amiga1992

Icy: I still haven't got the XE1541 cable! I must get it soon, because I have to try new stuff on the SX-64

Tomorrow I will go to the place where I can get Amiga games. I will ask for Gauntlet 1 and Putty Squad. I am almost sure they'll have Putty Squad, dunno about Gauntlet.

Is there any other games you'd want me to ask for? I can print the list and give it to the guy.