English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 17 August 2019, 16:32   #61
r.cade

I got a Vic-20 in 82 or 83 with Omega Race and Congo Bongo (ugh, the horror of that one).
Old 20 August 2019, 19:01   #62
lmimmfn

Pong on a Binatone system around '81 which came with paddles and a light gun, had pong, squash, and shooting a square on the screen.
Wasnt allowed to use it much as we only had 1 TV at the time and it messed with tuner.

First decent computer game I played was Trooper Truck on the C64 around '85 and got my own computer( Amstrad Cpc464 in' 86) and first game I played was Harrier Attack

I know I'm going off topic but my first Amiga game was Shadow Of The Best 2(Screen Gems pack) and wow
Old 21 August 2019, 18:58   #63
haynor666
retro maniac

I think it was Boulder Dash on Atari 65XE. First game played on amiga was Midnight Resistance but first game played on my own Amiga 1200 was Alien Breed.
Old 30 September 2019, 23:56   #64
danwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark sealey View Post
mine was Repton on the Acorn Electron.
I had a acorn electron has well. The repton games where great. There where other great electron games as well. It was my games machine for a good 5 or 6 years.

The first game i ever played was on the zx81. 3d monster maze i think it was called.
Old 01 October 2019, 00:10   #65
Fissuras
Old Luny

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
ZX81... possibly 3D Monster Maze, or 3D Defender...or something else perhaps
As long as I can remember, 3D Monster Maze was probably the first one on TK85 (an enchanced ZX81 clone). I have fond memories of a few wonderfull games of that era, like Mazogs and Krazy Kong. There were a few nice brazilan games too, like "Perdidos na Selva" (lost in the jungle) that later became "Amazonia".
There was a games based on Pitfall, "Em Busca dos Tesouros" (In Search of Treasures).

Here is a video.
[ Show youtube player ]

And another one:
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 October 2019, 02:27   #66
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Karateka, on the Apple II. Played it for a while at my cousin's place. Meynaf ported the enhanced version from the ST for those who would want to give it a try.
Old 01 October 2019, 04:32   #67
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Giochi TV color, got this pong clone with three variants [soccer, tennis, pelota] around 1980

Picture is not mine, found one on the net that has the same model

Last edited by saimon69; 01 October 2019 at 04:53. Reason: reduce pic size
Old 01 October 2019, 10:18   #68
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I did not post in this thread? Then there must be at least one similar to it because I do remember posting my first ever digital game interaction was with a Magnavox Odyssey 2 / Philips Videopac that we borrowed from a neighbour for a day. A simple 2 player tank game, a simple 2 player cowboy shootout game and some kind of airplane bombing game (pretty sure it's called Amok) were available on it and we played those games the entire weekend.

My parents saw how addicted I was to it and later gave me my very own Atari 2600 junior... that sealed my fate as a gamer nerd
Old 01 October 2019, 13:01   #69
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I find it interesting to read about that late 70s, early 80s stuff from all of you, but I don't think pos consoles bearing a membrane keyboard could really qualify as computers (Videopac, and similar consumer electronics) . From watching a review on YT this morning, it appears that the keyboard was used primarily to enter the player's name for hi-scores, which is nice but won't take you very far.
Old 01 October 2019, 13:08   #70
Photon

Hm... good question. Let's see...

On a visit to the school where I were to start 7th grade there was a study centre, and the pedagog helping wayward students there had a quirk -- he collected computers and put them up so that anyone could use them, hmm let's say for homework. Needless to say, it quickly turned into a nest of degenerate gamers.

There were 4 computers there (he got more later): a ZX-81, a VIC-20, an Apple II, and an Acorn Atom. This is the life-changing moment when my eyes lit up and I turned into a computer freak.

So, my first computer game would have been on one of those, except Acorn Atom because I borrowed it and typed in BASIC games. One of the first of these was NIM, but this would be after my visit.

ZX-81: A guess the number game or similar?
VIC-20: Arcadia? Some game where you shot flapping seagulls.
Apple II: Night Mission Pinball, Breakout, Lemonade Stand.

So, one of these would be my first, I think. My best guess is Breakout.
Old 01 October 2019, 13:14   #71
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Late 84 or earlier 85, local theater, they had small expo promoting computers, with ZX Spectrums, C64 and few Atari machines. First time I played game on compute was - ZX Chess on spectrum, once owner realize I was good in chess, he let me play it. It was weak chess, but enough for me to want to have one.

Last edited by Anubis; 01 October 2019 at 16:34.
Old 01 October 2019, 15:39   #72
chue

My first computer game experience was probably on an Apple II at school. I played "Oregon Trail" and I also remember a math game with aliens. They tricked me into learning things by playing games - pure evil

The first computer that I owned was a TI-99/4A. I usually typed in BASIC game listings from the magazines at the time. Two magazines I remember are "Family Computing" and "Compute!".

The first game that my parents purchased for me for the TI was an arcade port: "Moon Patrol". I loved the arcade version, so really wanted this to play at home.
Old 01 October 2019, 16:51   #73
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
I find it interesting to read about that late 70s, early 80s stuff from all of you, but I don't think pos consoles bearing a membrane keyboard could really qualify as computers (Videopac, and similar consumer electronics) . From watching a review on YT this morning, it appears that the keyboard was used primarily to enter the player's name for hi-scores, which is nice but won't take you very far.
Fine then, then it was on the MSX that my Uncle owned. I'm pretty sure the first game I played on it was Eggerland, still love that game to this day although it is a little slow compared to it's Nintendo counterparts.
Old 01 October 2019, 19:04   #74
mnemo
MTN/SPT

Phew, this is a tough question for me to answer. First computer games were „Castle Wolfenstein“ and „Escape from Rungistan“ on the Apple IIe at school, around 1983/84.

A friend at school had a VCS 2600 (probably before that) with Pac-Man and other games and later when I got my Atari 800XL the first game I got (for christmas) was BallBlazer.

Back then there were also arcade machines at the deli at the school‘s corner (Galaga, Tron, ...) or the cinema (Donkey Kong, Asteroids) or department store (Terra Cresta).

I can‘t remember the exact years now... :-(

Cheers,
MnemoTroN
Old 01 October 2019, 19:18   #75
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

I did leave the arcades out else i would say that fever with me started with the darn space invaders and immediate spawns around 1979

And in 1980 was so enamored with video games that when i did learn that there was a video game builder kinda close to my home (EGS in Fano) i asked my mom to take me there to illustrate them an idea of mine for a racing game - as you can imagine things did not go that well but i did a short tour of the facility
Old 02 October 2019, 22:02   #76
Gods
Retro Gamer

"Fortress of Zorlac" on the 16K ZX81... In 1984 i think.
Old 03 October 2019, 00:05   #77
Rick Dangerous
Registered Playmate

It was Pong in 1977 or 1978 from a catalogue order. German 'Neckermann' or 'Quelle'. Other games like Pelota or Sqash where included.

This was the first computer-game I ever witnessed. The game was delivered with a so-called 'Lasergun'. With this 'gun' you'd been able to shoot on a white square on the TV-screen. As far as I remember the game was called 'Skeet".

Cheers,
Rick
Old 03 October 2019, 12:19   #78
zipper

I did have a similar one, w/o the gun yet. There were perhaps four different games but I soon got a 2600 and gave that clone to a friend.
Old 15 October 2019, 00:21   #79
DrFruit
Resident Nutter...

The games that came with my c16 such as fire ant. Still play them today
Old 28 October 2019, 10:43   #80
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

This was my first ever games machine (about 82/83 I think we got it) and it came with the typical pong/tennis/etc cartridge and also a motorbike game cartridge where you had to jump over an increasing amount of buses. IIRC, the joystick was analogue and so you had to get the acceleration degree just right to land the jump. Great fun. Can't find a picture of that game anywhere.

Check out Kevin Keegan on the box
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grandstand.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	64958