English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 03 June 2011, 19:52   #1
RMK

Any VLAB Motion users?

I've always fancied a VLAB card either the Y/C or the Motion version and think I might just go for the motion. I've read the Hardware databases on the net but they don't provide a lot of information. I remember hearing back in the day that you needed a SCSI drive dedicated to the card for video, and if you wanted to grab the sound with the Toccata card then you needed a second SCSI drive for that. Is this correct? If so, I take it that it is relativley simple to sync the sound to the video if it is saved as 2 seperate files?

Thanks for any info.
Old 03 June 2011, 20:57   #2
orange

I don't think so. I bought a4000 second-hand with vlab, toccata, cv64 and 060. but the '060 didn't have scsi card. anyway, I never used vlab.
edit: oh, wait, I think it had z3fastlane. but it came with IDE disk. so perhaps the previous owner kept SCSI hdd.
Old 04 June 2011, 00:33   #3
mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
I've always fancied a VLAB card either the Y/C or the Motion version and think I might just go for the motion. I've read the Hardware databases on the net but they don't provide a lot of information. I remember hearing back in the day that you needed a SCSI drive dedicated to the card for video, and if you wanted to grab the sound with the Toccata card then you needed a second SCSI drive for that. Is this correct? If so, I take it that it is relativley simple to sync the sound to the video if it is saved as 2 seperate files?

Thanks for any info.
i guess you probabaly checked this also? http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/vlabmotion

this thing on amiga.org may help a bit:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1309

note tho the vlab and vlab y/c is not the same as the motion,they are only video digitizer cards, but do work great for web cams.

mech
Old 05 June 2011, 21:46   #4
RMK

Thanks for the replies. I knew the Y/C was different from the motion, but I know that I has a video record feature where it grabs as many frames as it can in 1 pass and then grabs other frames on following passes until it has them all. Clever, but not as fancy as the motion.

I think I will hunt for a motion and Tocotta in the next couple of months once I send my A4000 to Amigakit to get the sound repaired.

If I track one down I'll no doubt be back trying to figure out how it works
Old 08 November 2017, 20:32   #5
jaesonk

Late to the party here. VLM & MovieShop do not require a dedicated hard drive, but I recommend it. The drive can be IDE, SCSI, or now one of many compact flash card solutions.

MovieShop uses a custom partition on your drive that MUST be within the first 4GB of your drive. It does not matter if your AmigaOS is patched to use larger drives. MovieShop will bypass any patches. If you go beyond the 4GB barrier with MovieShop, it will wrap around and overwrite the beginning of your drive and thus destroy your AmigaDOS RDB.

MovieShop will actually require one custom partition for video and one for audio. These can be on the same drive or separate drives, but must fall below the 4GB barrier. For convenience, I use an SD-SCSI adapter in my floppy drive bay with 4GB cards that can be easily removed. I typically use about 3.5 GB for video and the rest for audio. Depends on your project needs.

There was one product advertised called BIG DISK, that supposedly allowed MovieShop to break the 4GB barrier. But I've been unable to find a copy to try, or anyone that has used it. Maybe it was vaporware never released into the wild.