English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 September 2018, 09:59   #41
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

I don't think there were many games that were released in specific NTSC versions.

It's certainly something we never did at Core.. there was no real market for Amiga games in the USA, certainly not enough to warrant publishing specific versions there.
Old 18 September 2018, 17:18   #42
desiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I'm sure most devs kept the speeds identical, meaning the NTSC version ran faster and therefore required faster reflexes etc.
Oh great! That explains it!!
And I always thought I was just bad at gaming!!!!
(Note: I am actually terrible at gaming, but at least now I can pretend it is because of the PAL/NTSC thing... I enjoy lying to myself... Well, that's not true.. See!!! )

desiv
Old 18 September 2018, 21:59   #43
albino

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
I don't think there were many games that were released in specific NTSC versions.

It's certainly something we never did at Core.. there was no real market for Amiga games in the USA, certainly not enough to warrant publishing specific versions there.
As a former amiga coder,would you say making game running both pal and ntsc was challenging ?
Old 19 September 2018, 19:25   #44
Photon

Well I do see the Amiga making a bit of a comeback in the USA now, whether those are NTSC Amigas or PAL Amigas on a converter to get access to all the ROMz I don't know. Meaning that maybe it matters now. I will start a poll actually

But it was a small market back then except for a couple years, I think - first of all there wasn't a home computer revolution there like Europe had, and Americans got the A500 later. There were the very early ports and then it petered out before Europe. But I'm sure there are some exceptions, big hits like SoTB or Sim City. I only have friends' reports to go by, it would be nice to see some numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desiv View Post
Oh great! That explains it!!
And I always thought I was just bad at gaming!!!!
(Note: I am actually terrible at gaming, but at least now I can pretend it is because of the PAL/NTSC thing... I enjoy lying to myself... Well, that's not true.. See!!! )
No joke Of course an action game gets harder if it's run 17% faster... same with consoles. Well... platformers not so much unless they're pixel platformers or Megaman/Sonic, it's mostly just the likes of Bubble Bobble, Pang and above all, shooters.

Now if its difficulty is *tuned* for 60Hz, it's the other way around. As difficult as intended on NTSC and a bit easier on PAL.

Edit: Poll is up >> Vote Now

(It's OK to not vote. I just sort of got curious. )

Last edited by Photon; 19 September 2018 at 19:45.