English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 23 August 2018, 13:38   #101
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitbubsy View Post
A flute has dynamics way beyond the limited static-sounding PCM Paula.
Dynamics (sadly) don't count in contemporary music... :P

Quote:
if Paula is a musical instrument, then it's a pretty soulless and limited one! But then again, people managed to make awesome music even with very limited digital synths, so yeah.
Yes, it's not that I'd disagree about the specific properties of Paula. If computer-generated music were my kind of music, I'd probably prefer SID and other sound generators over Paula. I just wanted to point out that every instrument have their limitations (drums?) but also unique properties that may be just what you or someone else want.
Old 23 August 2018, 14:12   #102
xanderbeanz

I like Paula because with the right easily-available software she can be a synth, (some programs can mutilate single cycle waveforms, yes no filter, but lots of digital synths have no filter) an effects unit (with various primitive yet interesting algorithms) or a sample playback device with optional AM and on many trackers, sample start point modulation for glitch/ersatz-granular fun.

And she does this all in a pleasingly grungy 8bit way that complements some of my cleaner more professional instruments. She has mojo, which is something that many musicians interestingly clamour for, now that we have perfect DAW sound available to us. I for example, sometimes record parts of my track into a VHS recorder with a very old/warn tape in.

So I want what Paula offers, but FYI I also own a C64C with a MSSIAH cart.
Old 23 August 2018, 15:13   #103
Hewitson

Paula is no musical instrument. It's a basic sample replayer.

The SID is a musical instrument.
Old 23 August 2018, 15:26   #104
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
What blows me away about using an Amiga in 2018 is:

1. That i can push my A600 and A1200 beyond what I ever imagined I could do with it when I stuffed around with Amiga’s with my mates in the late 80’s early 90’s.

2. The fact it’s not an Apple, Android, or Apple device forcing me to log into an account in order to use it so that it can target and force feed me ads, track my every move, control me and tell me what I can and cant do with it.

3. As time goes by and upgrades improve, I can use my Amiga for more and more tasks and use my Windows PC less and less.

4. The Amiga games that still capture my imagination even after 30 years.

5. In this modern age of boring technological sameness, the Amiga is still original, fresh and exciting.
I absolutely agree with everything you've said. Amiga does the same for me
Old 23 August 2018, 15:27   #105
trixster
Guru Meditating

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexus View Post
the fact that i can run on Classic 8xxx/G3/G4/G4+ PPC and kick ass in quake 3 openarena online etc
Yup. I find PPC PCI cards to be the most interesting thing going on in the Amiga world at the moment
Old 23 August 2018, 15:51   #106
chip

I'm not a technical expert, so i trust what other members said

So, Paula would not be like an instrument, while SID chip yes

But there's a problem here

I'm not absolutely able to listen to C64 music, while i love Amiga music

So, probably it's only a question of taste
Old 23 August 2018, 16:21   #107
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

It is mind-blowing that so many users are still on OS3.1 when the much superior OS3.9 and OS4 have been around for nearly 20 years now.
Old 23 August 2018, 17:04   #108
sean_skroht
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuous View Post
It is mind-blowing that so many users are still on OS3.1 when the much superior OS3.9 and OS4 have been around for nearly 20 years now.
Well that's, of course, purely a matter of personal preference.
I prefer 3.1 and I think it's mindblowing that OS3.1 is still getting some love with the OS3.1.4 update soon to come out.
Old 23 August 2018, 17:31   #109
trixster
Guru Meditating

Horses for courses. I have one machine on 3.1 and two machines on 3.9, for very specific reasons.
Old 23 August 2018, 17:55   #110
xanderbeanz

I think the definition of what an “instrument” is open to interpretation and pretty subjective.

For me, Paula is definitely an instrument, one that takes a certain imagination and creative mindset to get the best out of.

It’s far from a basic sample replayer, if that was the case, then 80’s era PCM drum machines (which use a combination of software and hardware) aren’t instruments either. The way that Paula can be integrated with software is what makes it magical.

If I choose to rig up 4 oscillators and amplitude modulate between them to get a range of clangy bell sounds, then that wouldn’t be an instrument either in this limited paradigm.

The SID chip is definitely an instrument, built with oscillators and a filter, but lots of it’s special tricks (arpeggios for example) rely on how it interacts with software as well.
Old 23 August 2018, 23:52   #111
kolla

Quote:
Lacking 68000 support in OS3.5+ is the main reason, not so mind blowing at all.
Old 24 August 2018, 00:17   #112
wazza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Paula is no musical instrument. It's a basic sample replayer.

The SID is a musical instrument.
One is a sampler, the other a synthesizer. Both can be made to produce delightful melodies or horrendous noise. Both are instruments in their own right. I thought only luddite musicians' union members tried to claim that a sampler is not an instrunent?!
Old 25 August 2018, 01:57   #113
source
Zone Friend

For me it is the ease of use. I still use imagefx for graphics. Occ play with a couple of toasters and 3d rendering. I still use it for my business mail outs. I just wish I could program in order to get new printer drivers. My kids get excited when I fire them up and play the old games. They would rather play them than the ps4.
Old 25 September 2018, 04:29   #114
debiani386
New generation Amiga user

My room mate gave me both of his Amigas (the Amiga 1200 and the Amiga 4000, which I am typing this message on now). I too find it mind blowing that the Amiga still sees active hardware and software development to this day, even the Commodore 64 and 128 still see active hardware and software development.

I mostly use my Amiga 4000 in my electronics lab for gathering data from my Rigol oscilloscope (I wrote a program that gathers screenshots from my scope over ethernet - I am still working on gathering waveform data) and for simulating and documenting circuits. I also play the occasional game on it .

About the only thing that has not been upgraded in my A4000 is the power supply and CPU. I have a Voodoo 3 3000 series graphics card with fast ethernet. The performance boost on this 20 mhz 68040 is night and day with these upgrades. I have found a 68060 CPU board on ebay that I am saving up for. I want it badly
Old 25 September 2018, 05:51   #115
sean_skroht
Gimmemore Commodore

Quote:
Originally Posted by debiani386 View Post
My room mate gave me both of his Amigas (the Amiga 1200 and the Amiga 4000
Did your room mate realize afterwards what he had lost?

My mate gave me his A1200 and A600 about 4 years ago, thinking he was offloading his non-working junk onto me. It wasn't until I refurbished them to near new status that he began to question his decision.
Old 26 September 2018, 08:10   #116
debiani386
New generation Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean_skroht View Post
Did your room mate realize afterwards what he had lost?

He was jealous after I got the mediator and voodoo/fast ethernet cards installed on it. He was 10x as jealous after I showed Doom running at 15 fps (peaking at 20 fps) on it with the stock 68040.

It is truly impressive how fast that 25mhz 68040 will run with that Voodoo card.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:21   #117
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by source View Post
My kids get excited when I fire them up and play the old games. They would rather play them than the ps4.
That's quite surprising, you'd think they would see Amiga as old junk.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:29   #118
meynaf
son of 68k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorham View Post
That's quite surprising, you'd think they would see Amiga as old junk.
Kids are perhaps not that sensitive to eye candy, and "modern" games are more or less just about that...
Old 26 September 2018, 13:34   #119
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Not everyone wants to buy an OS while they already have one, and not everyone wants an OS4 machine. Especially the last one should be pretty obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
I think the definition of what an “instrument” is open to interpretation and pretty subjective.
Perhaps not in this case. Paula is as much an instrument as a CD player or cassette tape player: They don't produce sound on their own, but rather replay sound that was somehow recorded.
Old 26 September 2018, 13:35   #120
Thorham
Computer Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by meynaf View Post
Kids are perhaps not that sensitive to eye candy, and "modern" games are more or less just about that...
That's possible, although there are certainly still good games available.