English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 July 2016, 19:27   #21
headkase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
If changing ppc_model really fixes the slowdown, it must be something in QEMU side (UAE does not care about ppc_model, it just passes it to QEMU).
If you override the ppc_model in a Blizzard setup to 604 then drawing operations are obviously and significantly better. Things like drawing UI widgets in a window or dragging around windows with contents drawn that overlap each other. On a BPPC install with OS41, I have seen that statement first hand. It is absolutely true. Now, with the BPPC core overrode to a 604 then if you try to use Smart File System then the hard drives will never show up. Probably because there is some small difference that causes that driver to crash in early startup. The Fast File System driver however doesn't crash/not work and therefore anyone can test a BPPC setup with a 604 ppc override.

So, really there are two possible routes to go to try to fix up BPPC: either improve the 603 core so the graphical updating is better, OR fix the 604 core so that Smart File System doesn't crash/not work in it with a BPPC base.

Any suggestions, obviously including at the very least being an enthusiastic beta tester, are most welcome.

Also, Smart File System works fine with the 604 core in a Cyberstorm system so it's something to do with the BPPC with a 604 override and SFS not likely each other much.
Old 06 July 2016, 19:34   #22
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Then you are talking to wrong people. We don't know (or really care) about QEMU internals (or PPC!).

But I am also quite sure QEMU developers won't care without test case from official QEMU.

Result: It becomes your problem
Old 06 July 2016, 19:43   #23
headkase

Smart File System also works fine with a BPPC with a 603 (not an override) core.

It is my problem, I'm the one who wants the improvement. Point me in the right direction and I'll only pester constantly for advice.

Last edited by headkase; 06 July 2016 at 20:06.
Old 07 July 2016, 01:11   #24
headkase

This attachment contains both 32 and 64 bit cross-compiles from Fedora of the QEMU-UAE plugins. Going forward I will provide both 32 and 64 bit in the same archives. They are based on commit: 91cfe77. There isn't much activity on that repository so don't expect frequent updates.

One notable thing about these versions is that they are much smaller than the official plugins provided on the WinUAE.net site.

Size comparisons:

Official 32 bit, 7,877KB. This 32 bit, 6,031KB.
Official 64 bit, 7,696KB. This 64 bit, 6,562KB.

As usual, provided as-is, may eat your children, and will show your deleted browser history to your wife.
Attached Files
File Type: 7z qemu-uae-plugins.7z (2.74 MB, 125 views)
Old 07 July 2016, 14:29   #25
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headkase View Post
It is my problem, I'm the one who wants the improvement. Point me in the right direction and I'll only pester constantly for advice.
target-ppc/translate_init.c and compare 603/604 differences and try to replace 603-specific init parts with 604 until you can narrow down what causes the speed difference.

Very boring..
Old 07 July 2016, 17:04   #26
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
How do I properly configure the source so that:
https://github.com/FrodeSolheim/qemu...r/include/qemu
log.h from that directory is properly found? Because right now compilation fails to find it.
Check out the fs-uae git repository (or WinUAE) and place it *beside* the qemu-uae source directory, and then re-configure qemu-uae. It will then pick up uae/log.h from FS-UAE/WinUAE.
Old 07 July 2016, 17:09   #27
headkase

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrodeSolheim View Post
Check out the fs-uae git repository (or WinUAE) and place it *beside* the qemu-uae source directory, and then re-configure qemu-uae. It will then pick up uae/log.h from FS-UAE/WinUAE.
So,

Code:
Folder A
  ->  WinUAE (In Folder A)
      -> WinUAE Files (Folder B)
  ->  QEMU-UAE (In Folder A)
      -> QEMU Files (Folder C)
?

I've been getting successful compiles, with the .dll's actually working, by cloning QEMU-UAE inside of WinUAE. However, I'll go try a test compile with the folders next to each other right now.
Old 07 July 2016, 17:11   #28
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
I've been getting successful compiles, with the .dll's actually working, by cloning QEMU-UAE inside of WinUAE. However, I'll go try a test compile with the folders next to each other right now.
Ah, maybe I implemented both, or maybe I did it this way just for WinUAE, don't remember right now without checking . At least I place it beside the fs-uae directory when I compile it. Anyway, it does not matter, either it works, or not
Old 07 July 2016, 17:27   #29
headkase

With the folders side by side, as I gave in the code block, compilation fails. uae/log.h not found. So it would seem the logic for FS-UAE and WinUAE do differ some.
Old 09 July 2016, 07:04   #30
headkase

Could I ask for another pointer? My initial idea is to find the configuration for the BPPC processor and just change its video subsystem to the same one used in the CPPC. However, I'm totally unfamiliar with the QEMU-UAE source code and poking around I haven't found a spot to do so. Is it as simple as changing one parameter somewhere in the source code?
Old 10 July 2016, 09:42   #31
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What video subsystem? QEMU is only used for PPC CPU emulation.
Old 10 July 2016, 16:01   #32
headkase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What video subsystem? QEMU is only used for PPC CPU emulation.
See, I don't know what I'm doing. Ah well, them's the breaks.