English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 10 December 2018, 15:03   #41
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
There seems to be some talk about Roadshow being complicated to configure. Let me walk you through it in a few steps.

1. Install Roadshow.
2. Place spinet.device in DEVS:Networks/

As the SPI network card on the A1208SDE+ is quite new, there is no ready-made NetInterface file for it shipped with Roadshow, so we need to create one. I will base it on the A2065 NetInterface file.

3. Copy Storage/NetInterfaces/A2065 to DEVS:NetInterfaces/ (also copy the A2065.info for the icon for completeness)
4. Rename it to spinet or what you feel the interface should be called.
5. Open the spinet NetInterface file in an editor and change the "device=a2065.device" line to "device=spinet.device".

If you intend to use DHCP, you are done - the NetInterface file is configured to use DHCP by default. In that case skip to 10.

If you intend to use a static IP address, you need the following information:
- A unique IP address for your Amiga to use on your local network.
- The IP address of your gateway (router).
- The IP address of your DNS/name server (often the router).

6. Open the spinet NetInterface file in an editor and comment out the "configure=dhcp" line by putting a hash (#) character at the beginning of the line.
7. Uncomment the "#address=192.168.0.1" line and change 192.168.0.1 to the IP address you intend to use for your Amiga.
8. Open DEVS:Internet/routes in an editor, uncomment the "#default localhost" line and change localhost to the IP address of your gateway.
9. Open DEVS:Internet/name_resolution in an editor, uncomment the line "#nameserver 192.168.0.1" and change 192.168.0.1 to the IP address of your DNS/name server.

10. Reboot and enjoy your network.

Hi Patrik,
That's spot on buddy - it's exactly what Ingolemon helped me with on WhatsApp Saturday morning.
I appreciate all this help, it's amazing.
I'll give you both a shout on stream Wednesday.
We got mine online, but funnily enough the Ethernet module gave up the ghost. The chip was hot on it.
I heated it up with a de-soldering gun and it sprung into life again... weird. When it cooled down back to very warm/hot again it died.
Really odd.

Anyway, I've stuck some screenshots on Instagram and I ended up having a mini-convo on there with the 'abime' IRC chat:
http://Instagram.com/RiotRetroGaming

Thanks again guys!
My 3.X Rom just turned up and my 2Gb SD Card - so will elaborate on that soon.
Nearly there!! haha

Ant
Old 10 December 2018, 18:01   #42
Allen1

Hi Ant,

if the chip is overheating, it may be an idea to remove the 5 volts and try again with the 3.3 volts and see if it now works. Hopefully that should sort it out as the adapter is designed for 3.3v usage. The link to my adapter is now showing the type you bought, my one has a smaller sized chip and it is oriented the length of the board whereas yours is physically larger and runs across the board. Now that's what I call weird

Last edited by Allen1; 10 December 2018 at 18:02. Reason: bloody fingers and key mismatch
Old 11 December 2018, 08:40   #43
patrik

Glad to hear you got it working!
Old 11 December 2018, 10:29   #44
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen1 View Post
Hi Ant,

if the chip is overheating, it may be an idea to remove the 5 volts and try again with the 3.3 volts and see if it now works. Hopefully that should sort it out as the adapter is designed for 3.3v usage. The link to my adapter is now showing the type you bought, my one has a smaller sized chip and it is oriented the length of the board whereas yours is physically larger and runs across the board. Now that's what I call weird

Ok bud, I'll hooking it up to the 3.3v when it comes.
As you say, dodgy chip maybe and 5v kicked it partially into life. Or am I making that up? haha
Old 11 December 2018, 10:37   #45
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

@Patrik Thanks! perseverance always pays off

I got the SD card working last night with Solidcore and Indiegoleman - I needed Fat95 from Aminet installed haha, all that time and that's all it was.
The 4Gb Sandisk SDHC works as well as the 2Gb Verbatim non-SDHC.

The 16Gb SDHC is not recognised at all, but Solidcore reports that it 'can work' if you delete the volume with 'fdisk' in DOS or 'diskpart' in the later windows and partition it as a 4Gb (FAT or FAT32).

I noticed my Workbench does not update when the SD is removed or put in, you have to reboot the Amiga... maybe configuration issue? maybe it just doesn't update.
Nonetheless I'd say I'm where I want to be now - just awaiting the new Ethernet module, but that's of no fault to the A1208SDE+

Again, massive thanks to all involved. Great team... It would be good to meet for some beers haha.
Old 11 December 2018, 10:57   #46
Allen1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotRetroGaming View Post
Ok bud, I'll hooking it up to the 3.3v when it comes.
As you say, dodgy chip maybe and 5v kicked it partially into life. Or am I making that up? haha

Stranger things have happened in electronics, could be a poor solder joint or anything causing resistance but probably a problem with the chip.

I'm glad to see that you got the SD card working, I never would have guessed that you didn't have fat95 installed as we need that and http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/CFD133 to access the PCMCIA slot to read CF cards etc for transferring games and files between the Amiga and PC.

That's really good news about the 4GB cards being fine, I think that I will also buy a couple of 4GB ones myself as I can't for the life of me find where I put the ones that I had
Old 11 December 2018, 14:10   #47
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
Stranger things have happened in electronics, could be a poor solder joint or anything causing resistance but probably a problem with the chip.

I'm glad to see that you got the SD card working, I never would have guessed that you didn't have fat95 installed as we need that and http://aminet.net/package/driver/media/CFD133 to access the PCMCIA slot to read CF cards etc for transferring games and files between the Amiga and PC.

That's really good news about the 4GB cards being fine, I think that I will also buy a couple of 4GB ones myself as I can't for the life of me find where I put the ones that I had

In an old phone? loooool
Solidcore mentioned you told him to install Fat95 but I think he forgot.
It's a case of not using the knowledge regular and forgetting details.
I hate learning new things as it pushes some old stuff out lol

I just thought I'd mention... the ENC28J60 pulls 200mA, what is the +3.3v supply from the A1208?
The 'NANO' hobby guys that are connecting these modules are saying the NANO only supplies 25mA max and are having to make their own PSU.
Can you shed some truth on this at all?

Last edited by RiotRetroGaming; 11 December 2018 at 20:39.
Old 11 December 2018, 22:16   #48
Allen1

I haven't got round to looking into installing my LAN module yet but I would expect it to use much more than 25 mA and from what you have found out it looks like the A1208 doesn't provide enough power on the 3.3v pin hence your LAN module not working.

The good news is that if you type in "3.3v power supply" on ebay, you will find loads of modules to convert higher voltage down to 3.3v.

Take a look at this one, its cheap and has the details further down the listing. There are only three pins ie IN 5 to 10v max, OUT 3.3v and GND.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-To-....c100005.m1851

Pretty good and would also be handy for using 3.3v microdrives in the Amiga

He he, we are all learning something new as we go along

Last edited by Allen1; 11 December 2018 at 22:17. Reason: forgot to add the link
Old 12 December 2018, 09:35   #49
lesta_smsc

Are these still for sale? I have messaged Solidcore but no reply. Any other sources for the item in the UK?
Old 12 December 2018, 13:07   #50
indigolemon
Bit Copying Bard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Are these still for sale? I have messaged Solidcore but no reply. Any other sources for the item in the UK?
I know he's in the middle of a house move atm man, I'll ping him and get him to check messages
Old 12 December 2018, 17:11   #51
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Quote:
I haven't got round to looking into installing my LAN module yet but I would expect it to use much more than 25 mA and from what you have found out it looks like the A1208 doesn't provide enough power on the 3.3v pin hence your LAN module not working.

The good news is that if you type in "3.3v power supply" on ebay, you will find loads of modules to convert higher voltage down to 3.3v.

Take a look at this one, its cheap and has the details further down the listing. There are only three pins ie IN 5 to 10v max, OUT 3.3v and GND.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-5V-To-....c100005.m1851

Pretty good and would also be handy for using 3.3v microdrives in the Amiga

He he, we are all learning something new as we go along

Nice find and we certainly are haha
I'm wondering if the Amiga has a 3v line I could tap into that would supply enough mA, any ideas?
If not, I'll get one of those babies.
I'm wondering if the 5v killed my last module then.
Old 12 December 2018, 21:39   #52
Allen1

Quote:
Nice find and we certainly are haha
I'm wondering if the Amiga has a 3v line I could tap into that would supply enough mA, any ideas?
If not, I'll get one of those babies.
I'm wondering if the 5v killed my last module then.

The 5v probably did but you could always re-try it when you get a one of the 3.3v adapters. In your case it may be possible to use the 5v connection you wired on the RAM board and separate the wire from the 3.3v wire in your harness then connect the 5v to Vin and the 3.3v to the out pin on the adapter and connect the GND pin to any nearby point and that would probably give you the power you need upto 800MA.

If it works then you could insulate the power adapter and maybe stick it to the RAM board so the wires don't come loose etc.
Old 12 December 2018, 22:32   #53
Daedalus

Quote:
Nope, all the Amiga logic is 5V I'm afraid. Very few Amiga peripherals use 3.3V, and those that do (e.g. 68060 accelerators, some newer Zorro cards) include their own 3.3V regulator. The Mediator TX does include a 3.3V rail that you could use, but that's only to the PCI slots and not to the Amiga mainboard.
Old 13 December 2018, 01:07   #54
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

@Allen1 Thanks bud. I've ordered one. Best bet with this by the looks of things including what Daedalus says.
I'll probably epoxy the 5v-->3.3v converter to the rear or side edge of the ethernet module, then do the wiring. That should be quite neat then. I'll get some photos up soon of the completed project.
Old 13 December 2018, 10:44   #55
Allen1

Quote:
@Allen1 Thanks bud. I've ordered one. Best bet with this by the looks of things including what Daedalus says.
I'll probably epoxy the 5v-->3.3v converter to the rear or side edge of the ethernet module, then do the wiring. That should be quite neat then. I'll get some photos up soon of the completed project.

That sounds like a much neater option for placing the 3.3v converter and I will probably do that myself when I get my converters from china (5 for 99p) they are not the same ones but use the same parts but they have live in and GND on one end and 3.3v out and GND on the other.

I look forward to seeing how you get on, I'm not doing anything just yet as one of my Angina tablets has been stopped and my body doesn't like it very much and complains a lot when try to I do anything (Aw bless, it misses them)
Old 13 December 2018, 11:42   #56
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

@Allen1 That's a crazy price... and I'll show you mine if you show me yours :P
Bless you mate, will you be ok?
Old 13 December 2018, 13:24   #57
Allen1

Quote:
@Allen1 That's a crazy price... and I'll show you mine if you show me yours :P
Bless you mate, will you be ok?

Thanks for the concern, it should take a few days to get used to not taking the Nicorandil. You don't realise how much they ease problems until you get them stopped. Hopefully I will be stable again in a short while

The 3.3v converters I bought are:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-DC-D...53.m2749.l2649

I found these after I posted the link to the 3 pin version in the UK, with this type it looks like you could fit them in place with double sided sticky tape and I only found and ordered them yesterday so it will be a while before they get here but at that price you simply couldn't build one

Last edited by Allen1; 13 December 2018 at 13:35.
Old 14 December 2018, 10:57   #58
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Hi Allen,
Are they not sending new medicine out? That sounds bad and chase them up!
Old 14 December 2018, 16:46   #59
Allen1

Quote:
Hi Allen,
Are they not sending new medicine out? That sounds bad and chase them up!

Hi, no they are just trying to reduce the amount of tablets I have to take, a bit of trial and error though. I'm still feeling weak and incapable of doing anything more than sitting and typing the odd message like this one. Mind you it does seem to be getting a bit easier as the days pass by.

Did you take a look at the 3.3v boards that I ordered, I don't know how they manage to buy the parts make the circuit boards and then build them at less than a pound for 5 with free shipping from Hong Kong.
Old 05 January 2019, 15:12   #60
RiotRetroGaming
Riot Retro Gaming

Update... SHE'S ALIVVEEEE! All done, converter works like a charm.
Just took the header off, epoxied it to the rear of the board and soldered it straight to the ethernet board/5v feed from the SDE+
No problems, freezing or anything now. Something was defo not right. Must of been the over mA of the 5v & the +3.3v was defo not enough mA to power it.

Some piccies:

So happy, about to go on the IRC site.
I was wondering why the usernames are so small on the right?

Last edited by RiotRetroGaming; 05 January 2019 at 15:19.