English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 03 June 2008, 01:14   #1
SkippyAR

Newsgroups > Amiga

Just a quickie, are newsgroups not very popular these days or just generally considered inactive and for archive/reference purposes.

I ask because I was looking for information/reviews/etc on my Blizzard 1230 II and stumbled across http://math.uh.edu/~barrett/ which is an archive of comp.sys.amiga.reviews.

However, when I subscribe to the newgroup and many others they're dead, even googles/deja news is very inactive

Skipster

Old 03 June 2008, 11:56   #2
Angus
Amiga Games Database

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyAR View Post
However, when I subscribe to the newgroup and many others they're dead, even googles/deja news is very inactive

Skipster
I think its partly the increase of web based forums and message lists, and many new to the net people don't want to bother with installing purpose-built news software, and I can understand people being a bit wary about signing on to google's news thing and giving their e-mail address to do so.

c.s.a.reviews has been very quiet for a long time though, largely because there isn't much new stuff to review I suppose. We are still active at c.s.a.games and welcome anybody who wants to discuss Amiga games, or join in a friendly play-off (we're currently delving into SWIV and Battle Squadron for example).

I still like the Usenet concept and think it still has a role to play, but then I still use an Amiga as my main computer so what do I know?