English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old Yesterday, 23:09   #121
Amigajay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
HEY I bet we got pirated NES Clones before you guys got it.

Not Xenon. Just Xenon 2

Ok, I'm sorry. Again. I'll let you guys enjoy bad games in silence.

No really, you are right. I guess I overstated my point.
Hey, no worries, sorry if my msg came across harsh.

Btw we didn’t like the NES enough in the UK to warrant any clones! Master System all the way like Brazil!
Old Yesterday, 23:27   #122
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amigajay View Post
Hey, no worries, sorry if my msg came across harsh.

Btw we didn’t like the NES enough in the UK to warrant any clones! Master System all the way like Brazil!
No feelings harmed

I don't think we cloned (ilegally, lets not forget) the NES because we liked them, it's just that it was cheaper and easier to do

The thing with the Master System here is that it had proper support and it was a legal licensed product from a company that could buy ads on TV, something none of the NES clones could do. But the fact they STILL produce and sell Master Systems to this day here is something really amazing.
Old Today, 00:43   #123
Foebane

Quote:
No feelings harmed

I don't think we cloned (ilegally, lets not forget) the NES because we liked them, it's just that it was cheaper and easier to do
My preference for computer and console systems seems to be based on the colour palettes they offered, and the comparisons between both:

I thought the NES colour palette was reminiscent of the PAL C64 palette, ie. it SUCKED.
I thought the Mega Drive/Genesis palette was identical to the Atari ST, ie. no big deal.
I thought the SNES colour palette was a revelation, with its 32,768 colours AND 256 colours on screen, easily beating OCS/ECS Amigas for a 16-bit system! That's why I consider SNES the clear winner in this comparison, and a system I would dearly have loved to own.
Old Today, 01:15   #124
idrougge

Quote:
I agree with this. Like I said, I really think Apidya is the only shoot'em up on system that could face the best ones made in Japan.

I still think the others one I mentioned are still pretty solid, if not as good as what you can find on consoles.
I would also consider Uridium 2 and Banshee. The former has a gameplay mechanism not found in Japanese games, and runs absolutely smooth, while the latter is a rather well-weighted 1942 clone with very detailed graphics.
Old Today, 01:18   #125
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Uridium 2 is so unique that I don't know what to compare it with (Uridium 1 maybe? Hehe). But I find it to be a frigging awesome game. Everytime I boot it up I have tons of fun, even today. It's really an awesome game and would have a place on any 16 bits library.

I haven't played a lot of Banshee because I never owned an AGA machine. I remember what I played of it left a taste of bad euroshmup on me.. levels dragging for too long, enemies needing too many shots to go down, etc. But honestly I would need to play it properly to give a better opinion about it.
Old Today, 01:49   #126
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Banshee is a really good plane shooter. There is really no "bad Euro shmup" vibe there. Plays still great. And Hybris has very long levels too, don't forget that.