English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 08 October 2019, 19:16   #1
Condor-2-4-2

Genetic Species cd music problem

Hello,

I have a little problem to set up an autostart script for Genetic Species which initializes also the cd-music of the game.

The game is installed on an hdf from DamienD which contains already a user-startup file. In the Genetics volume I installed the last genetics engine update which contains a CDDA tool. I also mounted the "Genetic species perfect CDimage" in winuae.

When I start the game with the autostart script, no ingame music will play. The only way to play the music for me is to execute the CDDA tool first, select the device "uaescsi.device" and unit number "0" manually and then launching the game (see picture bellow).

Why do I have to select the uaescsi.device manually in this tool to play cd music? I thought that the activations of the uaescsi.device under "miscellaneous expansions", scsi-emulation under "miscellaneous" and CDFS automount for the cd-image are loading the correct device automatically?

How do I have to set up the uaescsi.device so it automatically loads with the user-autostart script?

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CDDA.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	64670  
Old 08 October 2019, 20:02   #2
DamienD
Global Moderator

It's been ages since I created this Genetic Species .LHA file so memory is hazy... but I wouldn't use this if you want CD audio.

I can't remember if I did something with the "autostart script" to allow it to play without the need for the CD-ROM; but probably very likely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condor-2-4-2 View Post
Why do I have to select the uaescsi.device manually in this tool to play cd music?
Most games that use CD audio require you to put in the device / unit but should save what you've entered afterwards in a "prefs" file of sorts.

Quote:
I thought that the activations of the uaescsi.device under "miscellaneous expansions", scsi-emulation under "miscellaneous" and CDFS automount for the cd-image are loading the correct device automatically?
No, you still need to tell the game in emulation what device / unit are set just like with a real Amiga.

Anyway, you'd be best off installing from scratch using the original CD-ROM and then applying the patches etc. to see if that helps the situation.

Last edited by DamienD; 08 October 2019 at 20:23.
Old 09 October 2019, 18:21   #3
Condor-2-4-2

Hello DamienD,

I installed the latest version of the game from scratch with original cd-rom. I used BetterWB 4.3 as operating system for the installation. And now the music works even without starting the game over the CDDA tool! Thank you for the tip!

The music gives the game a very special atmosphere. The only bad thing is that the music tracks will not loop in the game.

Is there a way to change this?

Greetings,

Condor-2-4-2
Old 12 October 2019, 17:52   #4
hexaae

Quote:
The only bad thing is that the music tracks will not loop in the game.
I think it was the same with the real Amiga HW, unfortunately... Probably by design, music was just introductory for the level.

BUGS
BTW, this game has 2 bugs in Picasso/CGX 24+bit fullscreen mode: won't show current weapon on screen (it appears only when you press ESC to pause), and won't show player position on the map in the upper left...