English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Asm / Hardware

Old 03 October 2019, 16:27   #21
mr.spiv

Also, depending on the definition of "being the best" it does not matter how uber cool someone is optimizing code for m68k if the algorithms he/she uses for solving some problem are bad. Coding trickery & neat hacks are great but do not imply an excellent programmer.
Old 03 October 2019, 17:33   #22
kamelito
Zone Friend

@Hewitson
Why not? Did you see what David Crane did with Pitfall?
Old 03 October 2019, 17:45   #23
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think he was implying that some systems with a "6502" series CPU lacked the RAM of later systems like C64 which in turn limited the programmers need to always get the best out of the 6502.

This might have applied to 6502 and 2600 (I don't know that system) but certainly didn't to the 68000 and Atari ST because of the competition with the Amiga.
Old 03 October 2019, 19:02   #24
Photon

It's not bad to go by games, games have always been a good benchmark. I think the best games programmer is the one who makes FUN games - but if they're action games, code performance does come into it. Games become less fun (even frustrating) if the framerate slows down reactions that it asks of you.

The Amiga got a lot of ST ports that performed poorly. They probably performed admirably on ST, but then they were ported without taking advantage of the Amiga hardware. I think doing that is the sign of a good programmer. It means you're knowledgeable and adapt your program to the hardware, just as you would take a costly algorithm and adapt the code down to where you can use it in a game.
Old 08 October 2019, 08:10   #25
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
@Hewitson
Why not? Did you see what David Crane did with Pitfall?
There's much more impressive games on the 2600 than Pitfall. Keystone Kapers and Enduro to name two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
I think he was implying that some systems with a "6502" series CPU lacked the RAM of later systems like C64 which in turn limited the programmers need to always get the best out of the 6502.
I was simply trying to say that just because a machine has lesser capabilities, doesn't automatically mean the coders for that machine are superior.

Is David Crane a better programmer than someone like HCL/Booze Design or Graham/Oxyron? I very much doubt it.
Old 09 October 2019, 11:16   #26
sandruzzo

On a system like Amiga, when you have few dma cicles left, is better to do slow internal operations, like muls of shift, or using tables?
Old 09 October 2019, 14:28   #27
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
On a system like Amiga, when you have few dma cicles left, is better to do slow internal operations, like muls of shift, or using tables?
I’m not a moderator but i’m not sure what this has to do with the ops original question.
Old 09 October 2019, 15:37   #28
thellier

Speed of code cant be the only parameters
I remenber having seen some pretty cool/fast demos but also some asm demos sources with horrible code that you think about it "it is miracle if it dont crash immediately" as it checks nothing (memory,pointer,version,etc...)

I mean judging by result (fast, small code) without sources is impossible
Old 09 October 2019, 17:07   #29
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgeezer View Post
I’m not a moderator but i’m not sure what this has to do with the ops original question.
Why every time are you bothering me? I you have some issue with me please tell me, maybe we can fix it
Old 09 October 2019, 17:41   #30
DanScott
Lemon. / Core Design

Your reply to this thread had nothing to do with the thread title / contents (ie. off topic)
Old 09 October 2019, 17:45   #31
sandruzzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanScott View Post
Your reply to this thread had nothing to do with the thread title / contents (ie. off topic)
World won't be hurt by it.Take it easy, and since here we're talking about best programmer on 68000, I thought that It would be interesting knowing opinion about good programming practice on 68000
Old 09 October 2019, 18:07   #32
mcgeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandruzzo View Post
Why every time are you bothering me? I you have some issue with me please tell me, maybe we can fix it
I have absolutely no problem with you at all.

I love a good technical discussion about fast routines I'm just pointing out it has nothing to do with the thread.