English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 08 August 2019, 07:57   #1
LongLifeA1200

Workbench 3.1 for PCs

Is it too much to ask for a bare-bones operating system that is as close to Workbench 3.1 as possible on PC?

I suppose so.

I'm tired of waiting so I guess it's upon myself to make one.

I'm sure I can find an old PC or laptop that has at least 14mhz CPU speed and 2.5 megabytes of memory. WHY are PCs and their Operating Systems such bloated pieces of crap? {rhetorical question}
Old 08 August 2019, 09:42   #2
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah, remember back when you just couldn't play a game that required 2MB of Chip and you had only 1MB? Those were the good old days.
Or resetting after using every single program/game usage to use/play another program/game, man, I do miss that. {sarcastic reply}
Old 08 August 2019, 11:21   #3
Daedalus

A PC with those specs is unlikely to have a graphical capability anywhere near an Amiga 1200. If it has colour at all, it will likely be CGA (so 16 colours and fixed palette). Audio capabilities will be in a similar boat. Sounds like a pretty horrible setup, not to mention rare. And don't forget you'll need a bit more RAM too so you can load drivers for things like mice, sound cards etc.

If you really want that, I'm sure you can find old versions of Windows 1 knocking around. There are also variations of the GEM desktop for DOS that you could check out if your PC has the spec for it.

If you actually want an Amiga-like experience, there's the obvious AROS, which is a very similar experience to 3.1. Find yourself a free PC somewhere and run AROS. Job done.
Old 08 August 2019, 11:57   #4
Dunny

While lazy coders are producing bloated code, you'd be surprised how much actual code is needed to run PC hardware - vastly improved graphical resolutions and colour depth increases storage sizes exponentially for storing graphics, running 64bit code requires larger binary sizes in most cases. Sound is no longer 8bit, 8khz so storage for sound effects is also affected.

Even something as simple as drawing a font is a LOT more complex now than it was due to TTF everywhere, sub-pixel precision and hinting etc.

And let's not forget that there is waaaay more protection and caution in operating systems these days - the Amiga was pretty much free to allow apps to do what they want to eachother whereas now we need gatekeeping code in the OS to prevent that sort of thing.

And modern OS's have a lot more features even in their file management than AmigaOS ever had.

But yes, they are a tad bloated, but not as much as you think.

Edit: And yes, there's AROS - it's basically 3.1 rewritten from the ground up for modern hardware. And where AmigaOS3.1 came on four or five floppies totalling about 3-4MB in size, the base install ISO for AROS (without contrib) is 135MB.
Old 08 August 2019, 12:18   #5
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
A PC with those specs is unlikely to have a graphical capability anywhere near an Amiga 1200. If it has colour at all, it will likely be CGA (so 16 colours and fixed palette). Audio capabilities will be in a similar boat. Sounds like a pretty horrible setup, not to mention rare.
I'm not sure I agree with this statement. A 386SX-16 with a decent amount of RAM sounds like it would fit the requirements.

VGA graphics, and obviously you could easily add a Soundblaster, GUS, or whatever soundcard you wanted.
Old 08 August 2019, 12:42   #6
Daedalus

Is 2.5MB a decent amount of RAM? Yeah, I guess almost any PC can be expanded (and that conversation has been had elsewhere), but then why not go for a cheaper, far more powerful one that'll run AROS like greased lightning and can probably be found in a skip.
Old 08 August 2019, 12:51   #7
Retro1234
Boo

What would be the Memory not HD requirements for Aros totally stripped down to WB 3.0 like?
Old 08 August 2019, 14:14   #8
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Is 2.5MB a decent amount of RAM?
For a 386, yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus
Yeah, I guess almost any PC can be expanded (and that conversation has been had elsewhere), but then why not go for a cheaper, far more powerful one that'll run AROS like greased lightning and can probably be found in a skip.
Well yeah, exactly. I understand wanting an old PC for old DOS games, but otherwise they're not much value.
Old 08 August 2019, 14:39   #9
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
What would be the Memory not HD requirements for Aros totally stripped down to WB 3.0 like?
That's virtually impossible, AFAIK - it contains everything such as its own MUI-like system for the UI and many libs for modern hardware. You could do it, but that would be quite a job and you'd really need to understand how it works (it's very similar to AmigaOS, fortunately) before you do.

But you should be able to get something to run on a Pentium with 256MB RAM - though preferably more.
Old 08 August 2019, 15:18   #10
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Only question - what for?

You can't run any Amiga games and will be limited to small amount of WB programs, stuff you can do with Amithlon or already mentioned Aros.

There are few projects that allows you to recreate Amiga and desktop and I don't see issues using modern computers (or mini cmputers) for that. If you already get 486 with few megs of memory, probably better to use it as DOS machine, as long as you have room to place it somewhere.

I still prefer emulation.
Old 08 August 2019, 15:30   #11
Retro1234
Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
That's virtually impossible, AFAIK - it contains everything such as its own MUI-like system for the UI and many libs for modern hardware. You could do it, but that would be quite a job and you'd really need to understand how it works (it's very similar to AmigaOS, fortunately) before you do.

But you should be able to get something to run on a Pentium with 256MB RAM - though preferably more.
When I say stripped out I mean all the funky icon and theme junk that comes as standard making it look as far from WB 3.0 as it should.
Old 08 August 2019, 16:02   #12
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro1234 View Post
When I say stripped out I mean all the funky icon and theme junk that comes as standard making it look as far from WB 3.0 as it should.
Oh, I'm with you on that one. The standard UI in AROS is absolutely atrocious. Apparently you can use Amiga icons with AROS so you'd likely have to go through and replace them all yourself. As for the themes, that's built-in so is part of the cruft.

And yes, the default theme looks bloody awful.

I run an OS3 desktop on my laptop, and along with the bonus of being able to run Amiga games and apps directly, it looks light years better than AROS does.
Old 08 August 2019, 19:33   #13
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post
Is it too much to ask for a bare-bones operating system that is as close to Workbench 3.1 as possible on PC?
Eh no, several Linux distros have you covered actually. Archbang, Tiny Core Linux...
Old 09 August 2019, 21:44   #14
Zak
ZapĀ“em

I had an 80286 with 14mhz processor (worked as quick as standard 16 mhz) and EGA graphics and 1mb total memory (HiMem). I used Windows 3.1 with it and it wasn't even too bad.
Old 11 August 2019, 03:23   #15
Hewitson

Yep, with smartdrive (or similar software), even a 286 could run 3.1 quite well.
Old 11 August 2019, 12:36   #16
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLifeA1200 View Post

I suppose so.

I'm tired of waiting so I guess it's upon myself to make one.

I'm sure I can find an old PC or laptop that has at least 14mhz CPU speed and 2.5 megabytes of memory. WHY are PCs and their Operating Systems such bloated pieces of crap? {rhetorical question}
Isn't that what AROS is?

EDIT: My bad.,....AROS is already being discussed here.

But my 2c.....why re-invent the wheel? Maybe offer to help improve AROS?

Also.......

"Work Bench 3.1" on a PC + "AROS is atrocious" in the same thread made me lol.
Think about it

What is the saying? Careful what you wish for? :P
Old 12 August 2019, 00:47   #17
Hewitson

I wouldn't say AROS is like 3.1 at all. AROS is big, bloated and slow. Everything that WB 3.1 isn't.
Old 12 August 2019, 02:30   #18
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
I wouldn't say AROS is like 3.1 at all. AROS is big, bloated and slow. Everything that WB 3.1 isn't.
I found AROS (icAROS) to be really thin and light and fast.

It just wasn't useful for anything.
Old 12 August 2019, 06:53   #19
Hewitson

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
I found AROS (icAROS) to be really thin and light and fast.

It just wasn't useful for anything.
Yes, it flies on a modern PC with gigabytes of RAM. Try it on an Amiga
Old 12 August 2019, 07:02   #20
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Yes, it flies on a modern PC with gigabytes of RAM. Try it on an Amiga
haha yeah doubt it would work at all on Amiga.

But to be fair, it's not the target. X86 is the target (and the target of this thread).

Must be hard to write for an almost infinite hardware combination.