English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. General

Old 22 April 2019, 23:52   #1
robsoft

Is the initial shell a console.device that you can access?

Hey folks, apologies in advance if this is a dumb question that should have been super-obvious...!

Imagine I've booted an Amiga up without any kind of final 'loadwb', so I've got a normal shell prompt from which I can execute commands etc.

Does that default shell function as a 'console.device'?

I mean, is it possible to have a program that you launch from within that prompt eg '1>myprog.exe' and have that program send ANSI codes back to the shell from which it was launched?
Old 23 April 2019, 00:05   #2
Niklas

What are you trying to do? A normal printf() can be used to write text, and also ANSI codes, to the console.
Old 23 April 2019, 00:17   #3
robsoft

Ah, I'm doing something dumb then. In assembler, I've tried sending ANSI codes back through the simple dos.library 'write' call from a crude 'hello world' kind of thing. Tabs, returns etc seemed to work but not ANSI control codes (*Esc[4;5H* type stuff).

The problem is possibly between the chair and the keyboard, if you can do it from printf() then I'm happy it's me that's screwed this up in assembler. Thanks!
Old 23 April 2019, 00:33   #4
Niklas

Can you try to put your ANSI control codes in a text file, and then simply do "type file" and see if the ANSI comes out ok?

The console can be in one of two modes, CON and RAW, and I think there are some ANSI codes that only work in RAW mode. It is described on page 218 and onward in the AmigaDOS manual (https://www.pagetable.com/docs/amiga...dos_manual.pdf). You can also toggle the screen mode from CON to RAW and back, using the ACTION_SCREEN_MODE packet (http://amigadev.elowar.com/read/ADCD.../node0065.html).
Old 23 April 2019, 00:55   #5
robsoft

Ha ha, well it would have helped massively if I'd been following the code for Esc (27) with the correct code for the '[' character etc.... :-)

My bad, thanks for your encouragement. I've got it moving the cursor around and outputting in bold, using the other system colours for text etc. All good now!