English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Gaming

Old 13 March 2019, 19:05   #521
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

That seems... messy...

Missed that game in bundle last year since I had few others already.

Thanks for sharing.
Old 30 March 2019, 14:58   #522
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Baba Is You.

Baba is not always you though.

I kid you not, this may be the best puzzle game I've ever played and that is a bold statement for someone who has played the myriad of Amiga puzzle games. The controls are really extremely responsive and that leads to accidental moves, but luckily the game has an undo function so if you do something by accident it's no big deal, you just revert a couple of steps.

The gimmick of the game: the rules of the level are actually entities in the level itself written as simple worded phrases. baba - is - you. wall - is - stop. flag - is - win. skull - is - defeat. Later on that becomes more complex. key - is - push - and - open, five words making it so you can push a key that will open doors.

Those words can be moved however to change up the rules of the level to your advantage or disadvantage. key - is - you ? Go for it, see where that gets you! If words are allowed to be moved depends on the level though, sometimes the words are placed such that you can't rearrange them so the rule cannot be changed... but maybe it can still be expanded.

Be warned though, it gets real tough real fast. The solution is always logical and never convoluted (at least... so far) but boy are there some headscratchers in there that require out of the box thinking. Absolutely love it.
Old 30 April 2019, 11:10   #523
BarryB
Amigaholic

Anyone played Varenje or My Brother Rabbit?

A different take on the Hidden Object Games, not very long (same as 99.99% of games nowadays) both available on Steam:

Varenje Chapter 1 is free but the rest is paid!

My Brother Rabbit
Old 19 May 2019, 16:46   #524
bartread

I slightly hesitate to post this here as the title specifies "good", but...

I've built a couple of versions of classic arcade games using web technologies (HTML5, JavaScript). The two I've built so far use Canvas2D, which is fine, but I'm now getting into WebGL and three.js, which should mean I can use some nicer effects for lighting and suchlike.

Still, here's what I have so far:

Both are free to play, and should work well on both desktop and mobile/tablet (I've tested on both iOS and Android). Star Citadel is completely finished, but I've still got a few bits and pieces I'd like to add in to Shoot The Rocks - just need to find the time.

Anyway, next on the list is a version of Space Invaders (called Invaders Must Die), which I'm using WebGL for. It'll be a similar aesthetic to the other games but possibly with some proper lighting effects, and hopefully a bit easier on battery life when playing on mobile.

At some point I might even get around to shipping mobile app versions to the app stores. Maybe one day.
Old 19 May 2019, 19:41   #525
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Cool, I've been playing with Canvas Javascript stuff too. I actually use Angular so I have an easy build setup with Typescript to make it a little easier. But you have actually gotten so far as finishing a game, you're way ahead of me

The asteroids game is addictive as shit, the other one either kills me when I kill the enemy or I kill it the exact second it spawns in because the shields aren't up yet
Old 20 May 2019, 19:13   #526
bartread

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Cool, I've been playing with Canvas Javascript stuff too. I actually use Angular so I have an easy build setup with Typescript to make it a little easier. But you have actually gotten so far as finishing a game, you're way ahead of me
Yeah, Angular is nice - I haven't used it for a while now but enjoyed it when I did. I'd thought about using React for the hiscore table just because we're using it at work and I wanted a fairly small project to help me learn it. In the end decided to stick with the no-framework route here because I wanted minimal payload, and it only requires some very basic DOM manipulation to populate the scores. Only thing I'm pulling in for the games themselves is lodash and I've got that bundled with the rest of the JS, although I do use Bootstrap for other parts of the site (which I will freely admit looks like crap - I have no design skills whatsoever).

My build process is gulp, which feels rather old skool nowadays (everybody's on Webpack, or whatever it's successor is - I forget the name), and we use Webpack at work but I'm too lazy to migrate: would rather fiddle around with WebGL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
The asteroids game is addictive as shit, the other one either kills me when I kill the enemy or I kill it the exact second it spawns in because the shields aren't up yet
Haha - thanks, that's great to hear. Star Castle/Star Citadel definitely requires a different strategy to Asteroids/Shoot The Rocks, especially when you get to the higher levels where the cannon can zero in on you much more quickly and fires a much larger and faster energy ball.

Last edited by bartread; 20 May 2019 at 20:51.
Old 20 May 2019, 20:50   #527
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Great work, fun to play.
Old 20 May 2019, 20:56   #528
bartread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Great work, fun to play.
Thank you - glad you like it!
Old 21 May 2019, 10:05   #529
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartread View Post
Yeah, Angular is nice - I haven't used it for a while now but enjoyed it when I did. I'd thought about using React for the hiscore table just because we're using it at work and I wanted a fairly small project to help me learn it. In the end decided to stick with the no-framework route here because I wanted minimal payload, and it only requires some very basic DOM manipulation to populate the scores. Only thing I'm pulling in for the games themselves is lodash and I've got that bundled with the rest of the JS, although I do use Bootstrap for other parts of the site (which I will freely admit looks like crap - I have no design skills whatsoever).

My build process is gulp, which feels rather old skool nowadays (everybody's on Webpack, or whatever it's successor is - I forget the name), and we use Webpack at work but I'm too lazy to migrate: would rather fiddle around with WebGL.
My main goal was to be able to easily use Typescript really, Angular just makes that easy and you immediately have Webpack setup with a dev server, no effort required. Angular does add some bloat to the game, but its pretty insignificant compared to the resources that a game with some graphics, sound and music has to load anyway. Plus CDN + browser cache = problem solved.

I discovered flexbox and CSS grid, I don't need bootstrap anymore

Anyways, that's drifting off-topic by quite a lot Might be a fun separate thread actually, especially to do Amiga games in Javascript and really piss off some people on this site
Old 26 September 2019, 19:03   #530
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Untitled Goose Game.

I'll admit that I haven't been able to play it yet because it isn't released to the public on the PC just yet, but the fact that I want this game more than Borderlands 3 is saying something. You play a goose... and your mission is to terrorize people. By scaring them, making them trip, locking them up, stealing their stuff, breaking their stuff.

It's the dream.

Here is the video that 100% persuaded me that this game is brilliant:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 September 2019, 19:24   #531
Shoonay
Global Caturator

So you're basically Bart Simpson?

Quote:
Terrorizing people wherever I go
It's not intentional, just keepin' the flow
Watched the game on Lirik's last subsunday, this shit's hilarious.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 26 September 2019, 19:47   #532
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Yeah but then a Bart Simpson that wants to be a goose.